PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Screenshot in a DOS Game.

Rainecloud
06-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Well, it's not really DOS, it's just the Windows XP version of DOS. Anyway, I'm trying to take a screenshot from an old Windows 95 game. It's playing perfectly, but the screenshots just come out as plain white images. I presume this is either :a) some sort of protection, or b) the fact that Windows XP doesn't really like playing DOS games.

Any ideas on how I'd capture a screenshot from a game that runs in DOS?

Flying Mullet
06-25-2004, 08:10 PM
How have you tried to take the screenshot so far?

Rainecloud
06-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Alt + Print Screen. xD

I know no other ways, I'm afraid.

Flying Mullet
06-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Heh, that's what I was going to suggest. :)

Okay, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't suggest anything that you'd already tried.

crono_logical
06-25-2004, 09:26 PM
I'd run the game in a PC emulator like VirtualPC or VMWare (you'll have to install Windows etc. inside there too), then printscreen should work fine if the emulator isn't fullscreened :p

Dr Unne
06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Open up the control menu (the one you get by clicking the icon in the upper-left of a window), and there should be an Edit submenu or something; you're looking for Mark. Select that, then use the mouse to draw a box in the window of everything you want to select and then hit Enter, and that will copy everything to the clipboard. That works with DOS windows run in Windows, at least in versions before XP, should work in XP too, I'm not using Windows right now so I can't check it.

nik0tine
06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
old games are fun. unfortunately i cant help you. sorry.

Rainecloud
06-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately, the game won't run in a windowed mode. It just crashes.

It's just too old, methinks.

Endless
06-26-2004, 08:36 PM
What game is it?

Rainecloud
06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
It's a game called "Lost Eden". It originally ran on my old machine which used Windows 3.1, and I absolutely loved it. It's a point and click adventure game that almost nobody has heard of.

I'm still trying to figure out how to take screenshots, but I can't seem to be able to do it. I've tried numerous programs, but nothing's working. I've almost given up hope. *shrug*

crono_logical
06-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Virtual PC or VMWare :p I've screenshotted Monkey Island with that :p