PDA

View Full Version : Accents

Cz
06-27-2004, 07:47 PM
What accent do you have? Mine's a fairly 'proper' southern english accent. Not particularly posh, but close to what you'd expect from the average englishman.

Also, can you impersonate any other accents? I can do Aussie, Russian, and a couple of U.S. accents well, and I can do a fairly good German, French or Dutch accent, too. At least I think so. :D

Nait
06-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I can fake a pretty good English.

Lindy
06-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Recieved pronounciation English, but sometimes I lapse, and by lapse I mean go into accents of countries from which I'm not from and have never been too.

I sometimes swear in German, in a german-esque accent when I'm very angry too.

Yamaneko
06-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Californians don't have accents.

Del Murder
06-27-2004, 08:28 PM
I don't have an accent.

bennator
06-27-2004, 08:44 PM
People in the Great Lakes States (north Ohio, north Illinois, north Indian, Michigan) don't have accent.s

Rye
06-27-2004, 09:00 PM
A "noo yoikah" accent. xD

Logan
06-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Dixie
06-27-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't have an accent.

Meow
06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes indeedy, the likes of Bennator and i would make prime candidates for the selectively accent-opposed world of news reporting. Personally, i'm quite excited.

fire_of_avalon
06-27-2004, 10:50 PM
The people I grew up around can't hear my accent because they're used to hearing much much thicker. However, when I go to another state, alot of people can instantly peg me as a North Carolinian, especially when I get excited or upset.

Giggles
06-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Some accents make a guy seem ten times sexier than he really is. BUT ONLY SOME.

m4tt
06-27-2004, 11:41 PM

Loony BoB
06-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Anyone with a voice has an accent. :) It's the way you speak - even if everyone spoke exactly the same but one single person, we'd still all have an accent in comparison to them, and it would still be an accent. It just means that you talk differently than others, and that they talk differently to you. It's a relative thing. :)

I have a New Zealand accent, but I tend to subconsciously change it depending on who I'm talking to. It's a habit I've picked up because I need to be clearer with what I say when I'm talking to people with different accents, such as my Scottish coworkers.

I can do an American accent better than some Americans can, according to a Californian I was impersonating. I haven't spoken to many Americans for a while now, though, so I might be rusty.

My favourite accents are Irish, South African, non-nasal Californian and certain English accents (such as Emma's, who lives near Dartford in Kent).

Masami
06-28-2004, 12:09 AM
I talk how people in western Washington state talk. So I speak like a normal American, I guess.

-N-
06-28-2004, 12:22 AM
You know the orange alien on ATHF? I got his voice down perfectly.

The Captain
06-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Being born and raised in NY tends to give one that fast-talking Long Island/NYC type accent, where the emphasis ends up on the wrong part of the words. However I have endeavored to slow it down and pronounce words in a more sort of neutral American way. Can't say whether it works or not, but that's what I try to do.

I would assume, that must Californians DON'T want to sound much like their Governor for one thing. I'd also imagine that they have a pseudo-similar accent to the one most New Yorkers possess, only probably a bit more laid back and slower or faster depending on topic and location. Of course, I've only met and actually spoken to a minority of Californians, so my assessment can be very off.

Take care all.

Ouch!
06-28-2004, 01:02 AM
I don't have a specific accent. I used to be able to impersonate a couple, but I'm rusty now.

Wizdumb
06-28-2004, 01:03 AM
I can fake a pretty good German accent. ^_^

I think Californian's do have accents. I was in Utah for a week (last week) and the people there automaticly knew that I wasn't from Utah. Which was a little wierd.

Meow
06-28-2004, 02:24 AM
From what i've read, it isn't so much that California (and the western US in general) lacks an accent so much as it's a hodgepodge combination of different eastern and foreign dialects. That is, while a given western area's accent won't carry the distinct and traditionally "accent-defining" flavor found in more eastern areas, it isn't necessarily nonexistent. This is thanks to the land rushes back when the west was still primarily unexplored territory, and easterners with all sorts of location-defining accents (so definitive thanks to the pockets of folks coming over from Europe) mingled linguistic heritages as they moved towards the Pacific Ocean. As you move out west today, accents become less obvious affairs, but still carry regionally definitive flavors - as Wizdumb mentioned.

The key to an English accent - any accent, really, but particularly English - is vowel pronunciation. English carries the most complex, loose and dynamic set of diphthongs around (which, for the record, is my absurdly silly sentence of the day). It's usually different combinations of vowel pronunciation that both define and conceal more western accents, because they're as obvious for someone from a different part of the country as they are ignored in their areas of prevalence. Californian English, for example, often takes a slightly Spanish-influenced approach to the pronunciation of its vowels.

So, in summation, all you Californians shut yer yaps. :aimsmile:

Shlup
06-28-2004, 02:30 AM
I don't have an accent! Puh!

Yuzuki130
06-28-2004, 02:30 AM
I have a Mexican accent! NO TENGO DINERO! :p Yes I have the accent, no I really don't have any money! :cry:

RSL
06-28-2004, 03:46 AM
I don't think of myself having an accent. But I like to think of it this way, if someone talking to you has an accent, then you have an accent to them.

A long time ago I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone who was from Canada (someone from the internet and it was the first time I talked to her on the phone) and she said that she loved my accent. I had never thought of myself as having an accent before that, but it sort of makes sense. She has an accent to me, and so to her I would have an accent.

Jebus
06-28-2004, 03:48 AM
I've been trying to get rid of my accent, if I ever had it, I don't really know, because the southern/southern midwest accent pisses me off to no end.

escobert
06-28-2004, 03:51 AM
uhh a vermont one? I dunno

Kirobaito
06-28-2004, 04:47 AM
See for yourself.

CloudDragon
06-28-2004, 05:02 AM
I did a new version, of just myself, no brother including. My blowing into the microphone actually sounds like a nice beat, instead of what it really is. :D

<a href="http://www.angelfire..com/rpg2/shadowblaster/soundfiles/myzeldarap.wav">Zelda Rap</a>

nik0tine
06-28-2004, 05:58 AM
i do a pretty pathetic job at emulating a british accent

Rase
06-28-2004, 06:12 AM
I have a Eastern American Accent, even though I've lived on the West Coast since I was 3.

I can do a mean Australian, English, and Pirate.

Silmaril
06-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Absolutely none.

Rusty
06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
I suppose I have an aussie accent because I'm an aussie......:) I can fake a pretty good English accent too.

eternalshiva
06-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Hmm, I'm French-Canadian, so I have a French Accent when I speak English and when I am in Quebec City, I have a 'Acadian' accent and/or an English accent, whatever won't get me killed outside of Montreal ^_^

sephxangel
06-28-2004, 11:33 AM
i have a sourthern accent being i live in the south. but it's not a thick accent. I use alot of slang too.

Cz
06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Those of you who can fake a British accent, do you make it incredibly posh? Barely any of us actually speak like that, you know. We don't all drink tea and play cricket, either.

War Angel
06-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm not an English speaker, but when I do speak, it's a mish-mash of American, certain British accents, and Australian. I've managed to almost supress my native Israeli accent (because Israeli is the suckiest of all accents on the face of the earth), but hints of it still escape my lips, at times. All in all, my English has been said to sound surprisingly good, and quite funny at that, too.

I can immitate a lot of accents... Southern (USA), various British ones, Irish, Scottish, Australian, Indian (as in, India), Russian, German, Arab, and a few others.

Kaos Nishiakari
06-28-2004, 09:11 PM
I have whatever a Western Massachusetts accent is here in the States... And I can fake a decent Scotish accent

Lehteb
06-28-2004, 09:26 PM
I generally have next to no accent, but I can use an extremely hickish(redneck, actually over here we have our own word, :choc: cricker :choc: ) accent if I want to. It seems to come naturally whenever you live in a place where :choc: mullets still occur and fat old men in overalls are the norm. :choc: :choc:

Evelia
06-28-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm from California, so my "accent" isn't obvious. I can do an ok Texan accent because my mom has one, and my British one is all right. But that's it. I wish I had a big accent.

Cloud_99
06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
My accent is a combination of Northern and Southern English with a bit of American. Part Northern because my parents are from there. Part southern because I live there. And part American because your accents fill everything I watch and do so I can't help but say things in American every now and again.

I can Fake A full on Northern Britsh accent, and a very English accent.
I can do Aussie, German, Russian, full-on-American, Texan, Canadian, Far Eastern (as in Japan and China) and French.

I can't actually speak any of these languages (I can barely speak English) but for some reason I can do the accents. :D

Chaos
06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok all you bigshots. Those of you who say you can do British accents, c'mon then! Quit your typin and get with the recording. I want to laugh at them.
We can compare them against the pro's, ie us Brits.
I have a typical South Eastern British Accent, with a hint of Ashfordian. (my home town - you don't wanna go there...)

Some people say I sound really posh. Other people have said I sound like someone off of Eastenders (I'm guessing many people wont know what that is - its a popular British Soap opera set in the east end of london. No-one ever smiles and they all sound 'ard.) =p.

So come on y'all, post your British accents and lets see who can walk the walk AND talk the talk.

Chaos

nik0tine
06-28-2004, 11:10 PM
ill try... i jsut gotta figure out how to record stuff first

nik0tine
06-29-2004, 04:59 PM
here is my emulation of a british accent. not to shabby if i may say so myself. ;)

Casey
06-29-2004, 08:21 PM
here is my emulation of a british accent. not to shabby if i may say so myself. ;)

Wow, that sounds so Authentic. Nice emulation...

Beside accents, I like chicks with accents, I think its sexy.

nik0tine
06-29-2004, 08:36 PM
yea chicks with accents are sexy.

TwistedPeace
06-29-2004, 10:32 PM
I guess I have sort of a mixed accent. I have the one from where I live and was born..Chicago...but since my mom is british, and she taught me how to speak, I speak a bit weird. Adding crazy words that no one uses, like as well and boot ( back compartment on car...). I also say room, and it sounds like rum...and broom, as brum...Who knows where that came from!!!! Oh well, I think people should put me in the Mid- Atlantic, since thats what I sound like!

Cloud_99
06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey Chaos do I have to record my fake British accent as well? considering I am English and my fake British accent is seriously 1940's. :)

Fuzakeru
06-29-2004, 11:04 PM
I have a Southern accent considering I live in Mississssssssippi.

Polaris
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm Portugusese but I don't have the accent of American I have those British that instead of 'Car' I say 'Ca:', imstead of 'letter' I say 'lette:'. I don't read the r at the end when they have got a consonant then a voyal and then a 'r'. Like 'Water', I say 'wate:'. I began to speak like this when I was 12 so now I'm really ususal to that kind of accent! Sometimes I speak low and other times I speak very fast, like reading, I read very fast and my teachers are always saying to calm down!

Cuchullain
07-01-2004, 12:36 PM
I have a mixture of Norfolk, Hertfordshire and Nottinghamshire accents, and can, after spending a few minutes there, speak in a Black Country accent. I'm also fairly convincing as a German.

gokufusionss1
07-01-2004, 01:25 PM
i'm an army kid some my famlily moved around a lot and i never stayed in one place long enough to gain an accent, so i tend to talk in a southern middle class english accent picked up fromt he only constant accent in my life tv news, despite my scouser and west country roots.

Chaos
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Can't you get a scouser accent, Goku? Please? They are funny!
=D

Chaos

Denmark
07-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Some accents make a guy seem ten times sexier than he really is. BUT ONLY SOME.

Like old man accents? :O ;D

It doesn't sound like I have an accent, but I might, to YOU folks.

I have an upstate New York accent if any. But, like Californians, we don't have accents. Or at least I don't have an accent. :O

I could probably pass myself off as a Canadian.

Breine
07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I have a Danish accent when speaking English (Obviously)... and when speaking Danish I have what we call "Mellem-Jysk" accent, that's some sort of southern accent in Denmark.

Meat Puppet
07-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Sometimes I say mouth as mouf

gokufusionss1
07-03-2004, 10:39 PM
are in you in any case a tit?

kikimm
07-04-2004, 05:25 AM
Normally when I talk I don't have an accent, but since my dad is british and my mom is mostly swedish, so whenevr certain relatives are over, I start talking lke them. I try not to in case they think I'm making fun of them but I can't help it. I also say certain words the british way, and get a whole load of crap from my friends.

SO I do a good swedish accent, and english-but not london english, something with more of a strong accent.

:D