PDA

View Full Version : Boktai; Metal Gear Solar

Lindy
06-27-2004, 10:25 PM
I sincerely hope that many of you have played at least a little of Boktai : The Sun Is In Your Hand (or Bokura no Taiyoh if you're playing the Japanese version).

Oh who am I kidding, if you've played just a little, you'll be hooked totally on Konami's greatest, most innovative game.

In Boktai, you play Solar Boy Django, a young vampire hunter and wielder of the Gun Del Sol, a legendary weapon that uses sunlight as it's power source to destroy the undead.

And by sunlight as it's power source, I mean real sunlight, from the sun, y'know, the shiny thing outside that most of you probably never see because you're too busy playing games inside.

By using the solar sensor, you can charge up the gun, save the energy, and then use it purify and banish all those horrible undead.

But then, why stop at undead? The biggest challenges that stand in your way are the deadly immortals, undying monsters formed of Dark Matter who are causing the entire world to slowly become undead. Django must destroy these immortals by searching through their dungeons, finding and destroying them. But destroying their earthly forms only returns them to their coffins, Django must drag their (very heavy) coffins out of the dungeon to the sunlight outside, where he uses the Pile Driver (a giant laser gun contraption) to fire concentrated sunlight to purify the immortal once and for all.

Of course, all of this depends on sunlight and the sunlight reaching the sun sensor. More sun means your gun charges faster, and the Pile Driver is far more powerful, but it also means that many of the monsters in dungeons are faster, or some traps are more deadly, so careful manipulation of the sunlight (and a little luck) are required.

But oh god, this game is so great, I love it so much.

It has pretty heavy MGS elements, like the idea of flattening against walls and knocking on them to lure enemies, even has the ! and ? marks above their heads, it's great fun.

So much to do, like find all the parts of the Gun Del Sol, get S ranks on all the levels, finish the game on hard, it's all fantastic.

Oh god, and a multiplayer battle mode too, it's just so brilliant, I love it, probably my favourite game right now.

Plus it gets me outside into the sun =)

Xander
06-27-2004, 10:47 PM
And who told you about it, hmm, hmm?? =D

Yus I will buy Boktai soon, and we shall have a multiplayer battle thing and I shall so kick your butt (or just suck, one or the other).

But, ah, still think I'm too much of a hermit for this sunshine game....

Erdrick Holmes
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
I'd go and buy it but I just though of something, our planet orbits a giant ball of fire.

Lindy
06-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Yes, yes, and that ball of fire powers the gun you use.

Just buy the damn game.

For someone who claims to play their GBA all the time and has mastered walking while playing, you seem very reluctant to play such an outside-based game.

Sunphobia Joel! Haha! You lose!

At least read the comic :

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/boktai/english/comic_ppw01.html

Boy, now I want to hold my GBASP to the sky and shout "The sunlight shall cleanse all evil!" in my local town.

Erdrick Holmes
06-28-2004, 03:13 AM
I heard alot of this game. I seen footage for it on G4Tech TV, it did look fun. I might buy it and cheat by sticking the GBA under a sunlamp.

BatChao
06-28-2004, 03:24 AM
The game is pretty innovative, yes. But I'm just too damn busy during the daytime to play it... and it's deadly hard when you don't have any sunlight (and at times impossible).