PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

Chris
06-28-2004, 11:57 PM
I've just bought a playstation 2 and I was wondering if anyone recommends this game? Of course I'm a big Final Fantasy fan, but I've heard many negative :mog: things about this release.
So should I buy it or is it just not worth the money and efforts?

Shoyku
06-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Get it. Trust me.

Chris
06-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I've also heard that FFX is supposed to be a sequal to FFVII is this true???

Big D
06-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Not even slightly.
There are some cross-over references, but those appear in every FF.
There are some 'hints' in FFX-2 that suggests the game occurs before FFVII, but that's just for fun rather than a serious plot implication.

There's nothing linking the two games, except that they're part of the same great series.:)

ShivaBlizzard8
06-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Absolutely not true. The only sequel to FFVII is the film, Advent Children. FFX is nothing at all like FFVII.

As for the game, I'd say its enjoyable to any Final Fantasy fan really, but here are the main points so decide for yourself:

Graphics/Sound: If you like pretty pictures, FFX is gorgeous. You'll be completely wowed by its realism, and its haunting music. That, and the characters talk, which I find pretty cool, especially after turning off the subtitles.

Storyline: FFX has an interesting storyline, and it attempts to flesh out its minor characters as well as its major ones. Plus, it takes a good dig at organized religion.

Linearity: Unlike the previous FF games, X is VERY LINEAR. Meaning, you don't have a lot of freedom to decide where you go and when. The game forces you to go along with the storyline for almost the entire length of the game; you can't travel around the world map freely until right before begining the final sequence of events. To compare it to othe PSX FFs, it would be like getting mobility at the beginning of the last disc. For people who like to do their own thing, this sucks.

Battle System: It's pretty simple to grasp and the sphere grid is easy to use. However, learning abilities on the grid is again pretty linear for awhile until you collect rarer spheres which allow you to customize your characters more. You can also switch characters in and out of battle, which I think is useful in that it avoids the frustration of forgetting to put a magic user in the party before a fight against a creature who needs magic to defeat it. However, many find that this makes the game too easy because you have all your characters available for every fight, even random encounters. Finally, you can control summoned creatures in battle, which I think is cool, but again, makes the game easier to beat.

Overall: On the whole it's a pretty easy game compared to other FFs and is played through very quickly - this is good for some and bad for others. Personally I'd at least give it a shot, love it or hate it, but maybe now you can make a more informed decision. :)

Chris
06-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks you guys :) :) :)

Cloudane
06-29-2004, 01:17 AM
Get it :) Yes it has certain problems, like its complete linearity and no ability to fly the airship etc, but it's one of those FFs (like all of them?) that you just have to play. It's a great storyline, has the usual huge twists and turns in both the storyline and character development, and then you have the awesome FFX-2. Just go for it.

DocFrance
06-29-2004, 02:14 AM
All I can say is you won't regret buying it. It's a good game, but nothing to write home to the folks about.

aeris2001x2
06-29-2004, 03:05 AM
ohh its a wonderful game and if u have the PAL version, super bossess to DIE for :D your be laughing at emerald and ruby in ffVII after this

nik0tine
06-29-2004, 03:42 AM
get it, its not the best, but its a great game. you will enjoy it. just whatever you do, dont buy FFX-2!!

square_is_the_best
06-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Yeah buy it used. Should be less than $10. Then you can buy X-2 new for around $35. Its a steal!

Dragoon Kain
06-29-2004, 03:43 AM
get it. its a really great game with GREAT characters. them being able to talk is awesome. i lovedddd the sphere grid and the monster arena is hard and challenging but i like it. AND BLITZBALL! blitzball has to be the best minigame ever! you probably wont like it at first but just play a few games and recruit better players (BROTHER!!!) and it starts to get really fun. the graphics are great and i loved the storyline. the weapon and armor customization is cool. the only thing i didnt like was ....

YUNAS VOICE
URGH IT WAS SO HORRIBLEE!!!!!!! :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: but yea overall REALLY GREAT GAME.

DocFrance
06-29-2004, 06:01 AM
I will say that it's a good explanation of why Square didn't use any voice-acting until now.

Xander
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Yes, buy it, it's a wonderful game, well I loved it anyway =) You can only find out if you try it. Maybe rent it first if you're not sure, or pick up a cheap second hand copy. It's not to everyone's tastes, but if you don't mind fairly linear gameplay, you should enjoy the story, characters, beautiful graphics and innovative ability system that this game has to offer.

sephxangel
06-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I liked the game, and i recommend that you buy it. You won't be dissapointed.

Cuchullain
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Definitely a good game. I got really into the game quicker than with any other FF, and it didn't suffer from losing the plot as much as others have done.

Behold the Void
06-29-2004, 11:19 PM
The first time I played it I went from about 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM. Admittedly, I was Final Fantasy deprived from having had only Nintendo systems for so many years, but still, you can't argue with those numbers. It's a good game.