PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Brock Lesnar would be a bust in the NFL?

Dingo Jellybean
06-29-2004, 07:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1830855

Read that article. I'm think, the most he can bench is 475 lbs? For a guy his size? That's pretty weak. Some of the NFL's linemen can bench 700 and squat 1000 lbs.

The article makes a great point though. Lesnar is 26. He got in a motorcycle accident. He looks physically fierce, but mentally weak. I mean the guy is 6'3" 290 lbs. and wants to play defensive end. Kind of like a Michael Strahan.

The only problem with that is that he's too short. The average height for defensive ends are around 6'5". But maybe his short stature will allow him to level up taller players. He'll go up against HUGE linesmen that are all pro and are always going to be bigger and stronger than him. Like Johnathan Ogden, he's 6'9" and 350 lbs...and no defensive end has ever had success getting sacks against this guy, no matter how big they are. But if the Ravens ever play against Brock, they'll line Ogden up against someone else because Brock is very inexperienced.

He's too old to be really considered a true prospect, and getting in that motorcycle accident won't help him either. There's a reason why some of these guys go into the WWE: They couldn't get into the NFL. Either that or they just had mediocre careers. Goldberg is a clear example. As big as he is, he just lost out against bigger, stronger, and faster guys...and more importantly, guys who were more experienced. It could take years before Lesnar can develop into a ready-made NFL reserve, much less a starter.

Even Steve Neal, who beat Brock Lesnar in a wrestling match, is bigger and stronger than Brock and is a reserve who barely got playing time during the Patriots' superbowl run.

So bust? I think so.

The Captain
06-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I think it's a sure thing that he won't last very long... there's no chair hitting in the NFL, at least there shouldn't be, so how will he actually stop someone?

Take care all.

Cuchullain
06-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Only one guy I can think of (the name of which escapes me) has managed to do the reverse of the NFL/Pro Wrestling thing successfully. Normally injury forces people into wrestling from the NFL; Lex Luger, Brian Pillman, Goldberg, Ron Simmons, just to name a few. Lesnar's getting on in years, hasn't played in a while, so he'll struggle. I doubt he'll get much, if any, game time in the NFL. Then he'll go back to ihs 7 figure WWE career.

Dingo Jellybean
06-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Brock turned down a 7 year 45 million dollar offer from Vince McMahon. So he's very serious about this. But I don't see him as a cut above the rest. There's just so many better athletes in the NFL than Brock Lesnar.

Strider
06-29-2004, 11:20 PM
If Jared Lorenzen (the Hefty Lefty) can catch on in New York as a backup quarterback at 280 pounds, I don't see why not.

m4tt
06-30-2004, 01:30 AM
I don't think he will make it. And I hope he doesn't. From the things that were said in the article, he looks like a freaking idiot.

Del Murder
06-30-2004, 01:41 AM
I don't think he can do it. It takes a lot more to be in the NFL than size and quickness. I think being a football player is the hardest sport to break into.

Dingo Jellybean
06-30-2004, 02:15 AM
If Jared Lorenzen (the Hefty Lefty) can catch on in New York as a backup quarterback at 280 pounds, I don't see why not.

The difference between Jared and Brock is experience and athletic ability. Brock has none of those qualities.

It's nice that Brock can lift 250 lb. people above his shoulders, but it's mostly non-dead weight...and many NFL players can squat 500 lbs. The one thing about Brock that makes him such a target for failure is not his inexperience, but the fact that he has absolutely no lateral quickness at all. Maybe because of his motorcycle accident, but it doesn't matter...he'll be a bust just like other WWE-former-NFL rejects.

Rainecloud
06-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Brock is an impressive specimen, no doubt, but he can't play football. His most recent experience in the game would date back to his college years, and that definitely isn't a good start. Although he has impressed certain people with his speed and agility, I don't think he'll manage to get a place in the NFL.

Brock never did like the WWE, but I believe he's being a little stupid by wandering straight into another career without any prior consideration as to what it might entail. Perhaps playing football is one of his childhood dreams. That's very nice, but it won't help him improve tenfold in a short amount of time. Brock is excellent at professional and amateur wrestling, and that's what I think he should continue to do. However, that doesn't look very likely at the moment.