PDA

View Full Version : .....need to restore a program :mad2:

TasteyPies
07-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Well my dad thought that PhotoImpression was taking up too much space and decided to delete it. Now i cant upload files because they are too big and I can't make them smaller. PhotoImpression came with XP. Is there any way I can get it back?

Shoeberto
07-01-2004, 05:17 AM
If it's deleted - as in, not in the recycle bin, but completely and flat-out deleted - then there's no reasonable way to retrieve it. It's possible to get thousand-dollar forensics programs to find bits and pieces of data restore parts of it, but it's almost worthless and definately impracticle for restoring a program.

My suggestion is to download a small, incredibally useful program called <a href="http://www.irfanview.com/">Irfan View</a>. It's a simple image viewer that you can perform simple image operations on - resize, apply filters, crop, cut, copy, and even compress. And it's small, too. I've used it for years and love it.

crono_logical
07-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah, Irfan View is a good replacement form what I've seen about it.

If PhotoImpression came with your computer though, then it should be on some sort of installation or backup media which also came with your computer.

TasteyPies
07-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Irfan works. :D Same stuff different program realy.
Thanks guys

o_O
07-02-2004, 12:10 PM
If you're opting for the forensics software, I heartily recommend <a href="www.guidancesoftware.com/">EnCase</a> :p . It hasn't failed me yet, in fact, just yesterday, I recovered a hard drive that had been hotswapped, and should have been electronically fried.

Seriously. :p

crono_logical
07-02-2004, 02:57 PM
If it was electronically fried though, it'd have no power so would be beyond software recovery, so I don't think mentioning that gives any credibility to that program's capabilities :p

o_O
07-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Pffft. :p

I shouldn't have been able to recover the data, in any case, so I'm pleased with it. :o

Touché. :p

BatChao
07-03-2004, 09:33 AM
If it came with XP, you should be able to install it again using the XP disc. Just go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, click on Add Programs, and it should be there in the list somewhere...

TasteyPies
08-27-2004, 01:57 AM
New problem

I don't know how to resize pictures with Ifran view...just reduce quality. Im making a new avatar. Its about time I did actualy I think I have had the same one since registration.

Or maybe someone could point me to a better free program?

Dr Unne
08-27-2004, 03:25 AM
http://gimp.org

Shoeberto
08-27-2004, 03:48 AM
New problem

I don't know how to resize pictures with Ifran view...just reduce quality. Im making a new avatar. Its about time I did actualy I think I have had the same one since registration.

Or maybe someone could point me to a better free program?
Resizing is super easy.
Open the image you want.
Select the area you want to be shrunk to 60x60.
Hit CTRL+Y to Edit>Crop to crop that area.
Go to Image>Resize/Resample
Be sure to select the Lanczos filter for highest quality resizing.

crono_logical
08-27-2004, 05:46 AM
Of course, regardless of the filter, if you're shrinking, the quality will always be worse since you're thowing image information away :p

-N-
08-27-2004, 06:04 AM
I don't think you need a new avatar. :)

TasteyPies
08-27-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't think you need a new avatar. :)

I'm thinking of a Fighter RM WM and BM named "Pie" "Is" "Very" "Good" in a battlesequence with a pie. Doubt you will be able to read the names though. (Too tiny)

Baloki
08-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I guess no-one just uses system restore anymore...

TasteyPies
08-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Yay! DONE! I ended up doing alot of it in paint....the only tihng i figured out how to use in Gimp is the resize.

thanks guy

So....is this better than the old one? Looks realy small to me but maybe thats just my screen resolution.

..nope...DARN YOU SIZE LIMIT!

Shoeberto
08-27-2004, 05:42 PM
It's really hard to tell what's going on in it. With the small size of avatars, you don't want too much going on.

TasteyPies
08-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Its SUPOSED to be an apple creamy pie thing but it looks more like an explosion or an egg in a nest.

-N-
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Put it in your sig instead, but bigger. :up:

TasteyPies
09-13-2004, 03:47 PM
NEW PROBLEM

Ifran Is too limited so I can't edit anything and Gimp is way too comlicated. xD Any other suggestions?

Oh, and My dad also deleted my Liarto program I was using, so I can't make gifs either....anyone know of a free gif maker?

*sigh* sorry guys

Dr Unne
09-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Ifran Is too limited so I can't edit anything and Gimp is way too comlicated. xD Any other suggestions?

Learn the Gimp.

Oh, and My dad also deleted my Liarto program I was using, so I can't make gifs either....anyone know of a free gif maker?

The Gimp.

TasteyPies
09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I need a manual then xD

Dr Unne
09-13-2004, 05:29 PM
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
http://www.google.com/search?q=gimp+tutorial

TasteyPies
09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks

This program is realy fun when you get used to it.

Still can't figure out how to get done what I wanna do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Tasteypies/Chickeninabasket.jpg