PDA

View Full Version : Genre of FFXII?

Ishmayl
07-02-2004, 12:00 AM
It seems from the pictures that it's leaning more towards the original fantasy style of the game (FF 1 - 6, and 9), which I think would be an excellent move. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, it's going to be a standard PS2 game, right? No online crap?

Bolt
07-02-2004, 12:55 AM
i think that it will be Offline (not quite sure) anyways they have not really released alot of info about FF12, but by the pictures it looks awesome. (And i watched a movie of FF12 with storyline (big storyline) so I can think that it should be offline.

Ouch!
07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Actually, they've released quite a lot of information.

It's not online, they said that from the beginning. Look around at the other threads here for loads of information. It's not really like the earlier FFs other than maybe its atomosphere. I can imagine the actual gameplay will be rather different.

It's a new step for SE, and it's going to be something new, but it's still an RPG, that's it's genre.

Sefie1999AD
07-02-2004, 09:45 PM
It's not offline, they said that from the beginning. Look around at the other threads here for loads of information. It's not really like the earlier FFs other than maybe its atomosphere. I can imagine the actual gameplay will be rather different.

Excuse me? I've heard FFXII will be totally single-player, unlike FFXI, which was an MMORPG. I haven't heard about the dramatic change in style, either. The battle system might be different, but that doesn't change the entire game. In fact, I've heard FFXII will be set on a medieval fantasy world again, and when I looked at the trailers, there's a nice mix of new things while the game still seems to keep the FF feel.

Ishmayl: Yes, I think FFXII will be a standard PS2 game with the fantasy style from older FFs.

nik0tine
07-02-2004, 09:46 PM
i dont know much about it but i think ti would be cool if it were msotly offline, but had some online mini games and whatnot.

Ouch!
07-02-2004, 11:44 PM
M'bad. I meant it's not online. Typo.

I did say, however, that the atmosphere will be the same, but I do get the impression that the gameplay is going to be very different, as the battle system is much different and the addition of rotating cameras and such like that. My gut instinct is that it's going to play differently.

Sefie1999AD
07-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I did say, however, that the atmosphere will be the same, but I do get the impression that the gameplay is going to be very different, as the battle system is much different and the addition of rotating cameras and such like that. My gut instinct is that it's going to play differently.

Ah, okay. A similar atmosphere usually makes a game feel like the other games, though. For example, FFX-2 was mission-based and it used a fast-paced ATB system, and Kingdom Hearts had all the battles in real time and in the same area where you were moving rather than in battle screens, and both games still felt quite FF-ish / SE-ish to me. If what you said about rotating cameras is true, then that's a great addition. The fixed camera angles in, say, FFX seriously annoyed me.

kikimm
07-04-2004, 04:04 AM
A rotating camera would be great. Maybe I'm stupid, but for some reason, whenever I play the FF games, I usually end up looking at a walkthrough `cause I'm stuck, only to find that all I needed to do was go down this flight of stairs. Sometiems the FF backgrounds/scenery can be so much that you miss the small, but important things. I bet a rotating camera would help fix my problems at least. ;)

From what I've seen of FF12 (I don't want to lok at too much-I kinda want to know as little as possible about this game), it really reminds of the oler FFs---which isn't a bad thing. A lot of people don't like the direction that the new FFs are going, and would like them to be more like "the old days". I think that SE might have listened this time.

I'm sick of all this online crap. I just want it to be a NORMAL game. Maybe if I didn't have to pay, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it, but that isn't going to happen.

:D

Ishmayl
07-08-2004, 12:28 AM
From what I've seen of FF12 (I don't want to lok at too much-I kinda want to know as little as possible about this game), it really reminds of the oler FFs---which isn't a bad thing. A lot of people don't like the direction that the new FFs are going, and would like them to be more like "the old days". I think that SE might have listened this time.

Good :) Tha'ts what it looks like to me too, but since I can't even remotely read japanese, I've only been able to find bits and pieces of info on the game.

kikimm
07-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realized my spelling was so bad! I've got to start typing slower. :shame: oh well. some part of me is glad that I can't read japanese, but other times it's really frustrating. OH! they actually say the main character's name in this one! :hyper: it really bothered me that they never said tidus` name. made absolutely no sense.

Snappie88
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Well, if you mean the visual style, I think it's a mix between the comic style FF's (FFIX) and the 'adult' style (FFVIII). The characters look 'realistic', but there are also weird creatures, like those in FFIX.

FFXII is offline, ofcourse. With a new MMORPG Square-Enix would dig their own grave, I don't think their that stupid.

About the camera. I heard the game is completly 3D, even the backgrounds. That would mean you can rotate the camera easy, cause the backgrounds can also be viewed from a different angle.

The only thing I'm consearned about is the fact the main character looks like a girl, the other person like a fagget (no offence) and the girl like a 'bunny on the run from the playboy manson'. Damn, only the chick looks normal *sights*.

kikimm
07-13-2004, 11:46 PM
what about basche and penelo? Personally, i think Basche and Balthier will be awesome. As for Vaan...everyone's opinion is pretty much unanimous (sp?) on that one. The girls I'm pretty indifferent about.

I think Fran looks cool, but hey that's just my opinion.

Blank
08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
yeah im pretty damn positive it's like the originals and 9 too. and i don't know why any of you are kinda arguing about online or offline. i thinks it's just normal (offline) like 8 or 9 or 10.

i agree that the girl (whoever) looks like Yuna but with armory type clothes. she looks like she'd have a better personality too. the battle system sounds like it's gonna be fun. i love the idea that it's like the originals, and i guess the battle is kiiinda like crystal chronicles, which i liked.

FInalfantasyfinatic4
08-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I have some useful info. the battle system will be a little like grandia, your characters can move around and can also miss atacks wich are determined by were they are positioned. they also have an AI wich is great. if your one of those people who like to play just one character youll like it. The AI is better it will cure wen it needs to and fight wen it has to. It can also summon when it likes. But dont expect a full blown grandia system the system is unique. And why is shiva a cannon 0.0

aeris2001x2
08-13-2004, 07:16 PM
does that mean its similar to the ATB crap of ffX-2? or is it classic ATB?

Actually i dont care what it is, just DONT, i beg u Square, make it like the ffX-2 chaos!!!

FInalfantasyfinatic4
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
it will not be exactly like ff x-2 it will be sorta like ff Vlll. but this is as far as i know. but i know it will be brand new carrying esenses of the pass Final fantasy games battle systems.

ps: i kinda liked FF x-2s battle system.

DJZen
08-18-2004, 04:14 AM
Cool, where'd you hear this?

-N-
08-18-2004, 04:17 AM
Wouldn't the genre be... oh... I don't know... an RPG?

SomethingBig
08-18-2004, 09:12 PM
What other genre would an FF be? Yes, Tactics was a strategy RPG, but an RPG, nonetheless. Of course it's going to be an RPG.

About all of you that are, for some strange, strange reason, complaining about it being like FFX-2, it won't be. If you had been paying attention like good lil FF fans, :moomba: :mog: you would know that the battle system is edging towards real-time. You can switch between your 3 party members whenever you like and you can set up different strategies and even combine spells and techs. Also, you will be able to rotate the camera.

Couldn't you have just checked out this thread, which would've been the best thing to do, since this thread basically explains everything.
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=46214

Sefie1999AD
08-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I have some useful info. the battle system will be a little like grandia, your characters can move around and can also miss atacks wich are determined by were they are positioned. they also have an AI wich is great. if your one of those people who like to play just one character youll like it. The AI is better it will cure wen it needs to and fight wen it has to. It can also summon when it likes. But dont expect a full blown grandia system the system is unique. And why is shiva a cannon 0.0

About all of you that are, for some strange, strange reason, complaining about it being like FFX-2, it won't be. If you had been paying attention like good lil FF fans, you would know that the battle system is edging towards real-time. You can switch between your 3 party members whenever you like and you can set up different strategies and even combine spells and techs. Also, you will be able to rotate the camera.

Does that mean the battle system will be a bit like Chrono Trigger or Kingdom Hearts? I've never played the Grandia games so I don't know how that kind of system works.

aeris2001x2
08-19-2004, 01:57 AM
what u mean? going real time is like ffX-2 since ffX-2 was more or less real time chaos. devil may cry style combat(but faster) masquarding as an RPG.

as i said, change, evolve Square, i dont mind. but stick to RPG combat for FF games, dont sell out.

DJZen
08-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Selling out is trading artistic integrity for money. Square is a company. As such it'd be difficult for them to be NOT sold out.

TheAbominatrix
08-19-2004, 02:25 AM
And the battle system doesnt make the RPG.

Ouch!
08-19-2004, 02:34 AM
And the battle system doesnt make the RPG.

Exactly. I don't know about everyone else, but I can safely say that I choose to play RPGs because they have what many other games lack, a decent plot. The Final Fantasy series have never failed in that department, except maybe FFI (but that's different) and I certainly don't think they'll start failing now.

It's still going to be Final Fantasy no matter how much they change.

Ashton
08-21-2004, 02:13 AM
I agree with Zaphier

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 02:40 AM
plot and characters do make the RPG. but i dont want any of the ff games 2 become like Vagrant Story ( top class story, vomit inducing game play).

it just so happaned that ffX-2 sucked in both areas... :)

and i think companys DO have artistic integrity. Square certainly does anyway. RPG games should have RPG COMBAT. so if it went down the ffX-2 road in terms of combat, then it would be selling out imho in an attempt 2 draw in non rpg fans.

Lon611
08-21-2004, 05:13 AM
ok, excuse my ignorance, but FInalfantasyfinatic4 said it was going 2 be a one player game, as in, you can't control any other character in your party?duz that mean it's going to be like kingdom hearts where your preset the AI?

i would think that playing vaan 24/7 wudn't be all that gr8. the game isn't even out yet and ppl are already giving him beef. he doesn't exactly look like one of the "cooler" characters of ff, and square will probably make his personality match :crying: ppl are probably take vaan's perspective as their own, since they're playing him all the time. i just hope for sqaure there's a MESS LOAD of character development.

im not jugding vaan yet, at least not until i play ffxii. again, pleaze excuse my ignorance :jap:

-N-
08-21-2004, 05:47 AM
It'll be as one player as... oh... say... FFVII.

Behold the Void
08-22-2004, 08:30 AM
From what people are saying the battle system sounds like Tales of Symphonia.

kikimm
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Hrmm...I just don't want it to be like Kingdom Hearts. Yeah, I liked that game, but I like being able to control all three people, at least at some point. So if we could switch between them at any time, that is perfectly fine with me.

Yes-the battlesystem absolutely does NOT make an ROG, but if totally sucks, then that just means I'll be spending a lot less time leveling up. And yes, I do like to level up. But I'm not complaining about anything yet, just saying what I hope will happen. Besides, I want to know as little as possible about this game that I can.

Mysticgamer1987
08-27-2004, 06:02 PM
does anyone know when FFXII is coming out???

Ouch!
08-27-2004, 10:05 PM
It was set for Feb. in Japan, but it go pushed back some more. I don't know when they mean to get it out now.

SomethingBig
08-31-2004, 05:51 PM
You all have to remember that Square listens to every fan and what every fan wants. Some fans, like me, loved the intense, fast-paced combat style of FFX-2, while others like the slightly slower, yet still fun, battle styles from FFV(? I forget if IV had the ATB) on. Square was astonished at the reaction to Kingdom Hearts and thought that they should bring the FF series that way. If you all just look closely at the screenshots, and you don't have to look all that hard :rolleyes2, you'll see that there's an ATB. You choose one character to control in real-time and the others will be attacking/healing/whatever when their ATB gauge fills up. There. Happy now? Square is appealing to the senses of all by actually mixing traditional combat with real-time combat.

Though, I do always enjoy the battles in FF's, with an exception of FFX, I play them for the deep stories, which only 1, so far, has failed to do(I'm not saying which, just to keep this on track. No one go, "Dude, WTF?! What game r u takkn bout?!?!?!1/!?!?!?" Or start an entire debate, if you know what game I'm talking about). You can argue all you like, but the fact of the matter is that the battles in every FF tend to become repetitive. What keeps people going? Why, the plotlines, of course! Square is also a mastermind with eye candy, so people keep going to see cut-scenes, as well. If an FF had a story like GTA's, I highly doubt that people would actually enjoy even 2 hours of it.

aeris2001x2
08-31-2004, 06:25 PM
i,m really worried i,m gonna hate ffXII. but thats because i despise both ffX-2 and Kingdom Hearts combat. still i cant pre-judge yet. i was convinced i,d hate ffX. the demo did not help its cause either. but in the end i loved the game.

i guess i,ll just have 2 wait and see if i think ffXII combat will be evolution, something different or the start of a horrible death.

DJZen
08-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Hmmm..... I actually like FF games for their combat....

Actually, this combat system looks almost exactly like the one from Star Ocean 2. I hope they manage to keep it distinct.