PDA

View Full Version : help in FF1

nik0tine
07-03-2004, 02:31 AM
ok i just got to elfheim/land whatever you wanna call it, and all of the walkthroughs i have read say to buy that 4000 dollar sword. i bought it and tested it out and my attack power didnt go up very much at all. after i bought it i had only 2000 gil left. so shut it off so i didnt waste my money. do i really NEED this sword? will it get better when i go to the marsh cave or something? right now (without having bought the sword) i have like 6500 gil, and all of my characters are at level 7. will i be totally screwed if i dont get this? what do you say i should do?

Black Mage FF1
07-03-2004, 04:46 AM
ok i just got to elfheim/land whatever you wanna call it, and all of the walkthroughs i have read say to buy that 4000 dollar sword. i bought it and tested it out and my attack power didnt go up very much at all. after i bought it i had only 2000 gil left. so shut it off so i didnt waste my money. do i really NEED this sword? will it get better when i go to the marsh cave or something? right now (without having bought the sword) i have like 6500 gil, and all of my characters are at level 7. will i be totally screwed if i dont get this? what do you say i should do?

No that sword is not needed. Just go and buy some short swords and your fighters/red mages and you should be just fine. Dont worry about the prices of weapons and armor. If you cant afford them then just move on and buy what you can. Dont spend 5 hours fighting enemies just to get a weapon. You will gain the money for them by going through the caves. Plus you will find weapons that are almost as good as the silver swords.

Marak
07-04-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm going to have to disagree. The Silver Sword, especially in the hands of a Fighter, is a powerhouse. While it may not SEEM that impressive after 1 battle, it will allow your Fighter to deal out some serious damage. It also grants you higher accuracy, so the equipped character will miss less and get more attacks/round a few levels sooner.

It's up to you, though. If you have 6500 GP, you might choose to spend it on Copper Bracelets and 3rd Level Spells (Fire2, Bolt2, Cure2, Harm2, etc) instead. It all depends on whether you prefer fighting or magic...

Dragonfire
07-04-2004, 07:39 AM
the sword is very good at that point in the game i suggest buying it. if you have more than one guy who can se it just buy the one and the other at the cave. the marsh cave is hard enough, especially if you're playing the NES version, there's no need to go in unprepared.

Del Murder
07-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Buying it made the marsh cave so much easier. Plus if you have a Red Mage it makes him a good fighter and it is also the best weapon he can get for a while. Just fight Ogres outside Elfville and you'll get the cash in no time.

Sefie1999AD
07-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Buying it made the marsh cave so much easier. Plus if you have a Red Mage it makes him a good fighter and it is also the best weapon he can get for a while. Just fight Ogres outside Elfville and you'll get the cash in no time.

That's very true, especially for the NES version. However, leveling up near the Elf Village takes a very long time, and it's often the part that gets me totally unexcited about the game. That's why I usually just head to the "Finger point" north-east of Pravoka. There are many powerful enemies there, and although they're very hard, they give you loads of EXP and Gil. The feature works in every version: NES, WSC and PSX. Just make sure you have Fire2 and Harm2/Dia2 spells, and you'll be fine. That way you can get enough money to buy a Silver Sword or two. If you want some extra money, there's also 900 Gil in the Dwarf Cave west of Coneria.

Sefie1999AD
07-06-2004, 08:30 AM
In the PSX version, you get 10,000 gil for doing the side game on the ship once, and still quite a lot for doing it again. I think that's an overkill, really, especially when you only get 100 gil when you beat the mini game on NES.