PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS PENANCE????

UltimateSpamGrover
07-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Just somebody tell me, WHO IS PENANCE???
Tell me the game, and when/where you fight him

just answer me, and close the thread...

Thank you

Seryn Kai
07-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Penance is a super boss in FF10. He appears as a location on the airship location menu when you defeat all of the Dark Aeons across Spira. Iv'e never actually fought Penance, I just learnt tjhis from the Solution Guide.

Ultima Shadow
07-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Let me tell you, he's the strongest FF boss there is. If you want a challanging figth, you won't get dissapointed when you stand before Penance.

Mo-Nercy
07-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Someone else clarify this for Grover if I happen to be wrong, but to my understanding, the Dark Aeons and Penance are only in the PAL version of the game and not NTSC.

Defeat all Dark Aeons to fight Penance. The Dark Aeons can be fought during the last leg of the game, before the final battle with Sin. Valefor is in Besaid. Ifrit is located in Bikanel, where Home used to be before it goes 0wned. Ixion is in the Thunder Plains and needs to be fought twice. Shiva is at the entrance to Macalania Temple. Bahamut is at that place where you fought Yunalesca. Yojimbo is in the cave where you found him, you need to beat him five times. Magus Sisters are at Mushroom Rock Road. Anima is in Mt. Gagazet somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly. After defeating all these aeons, you can fight Penance. It's no joy ride either, the Dark Aeons are hella tough (except Valefor) And the only way I could get through them all was with trusty Zanmato. Overwhelmed by a sense of justice and equality, I decided to take Penance on normally, without Zanmato. I lost twice and I haven't played FFX since.

Ultima Shadow
07-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Mo-Nercy³, your info is coorect and to figth Anima you have to do the Wakka-trow-blitzball-into-some-strange-thing mini game. Then the Dark Anima will appear where all the Ronsos is. However, if you can't beat the Dark Aeons without the cheap Zanmato, then you will never beat Penance without it sice all the Dark Aeons is pice of cake compared to Penance.

Seryn Kai
07-04-2004, 11:09 AM
If Penance is that powerful, I've got to fight him, the only problem is that I may be tempted to just use Zanmato on Penance too after I beat all the Dark Aeons with it. I want to find the time to start FF10 again soon.

Mo-Nercy
07-04-2004, 04:14 PM
If you plan not to Zanmato it, the basic strat would be to max out all stats (especially agility, strength and HP), have Quick Hit, Auto-Life, Quick Pockets, Auto-Haste, Auto-Protect, Auto-Shell and Ribbon. And finally, a crapload of Megalixers.

Penance's first form has 4 000 000 HP. Second form, 8 000 000 HP. And two arms with 500 000 HP each (but you'll need 6 hits kill it because the damage you're dealing is 99 999.) His first form has only one attack that does 12 000 damage (99 999 if you're on Armour Break and Mental Break) Immediately after, use a Megalixer. The arms must be killed as quickly as possible because they have an attack that deal 15 000 damage and dispel Auto-Life and another one that does Full Break as well as casting curse. Not nice. They can also use a gravity attack that 0wns you if you're on anything less than 3/4 of your max HP. Keep count of how many times you hit each arm so it doesn't end up being a random orgy of confused attacking. You should have 70K+ HP for your party members (I went for Tidus, Yuna and Wakka but Rikku would probably be a better choice because of her Overdrive.) Just attack the arms with one character. Body with another and heal with the last. The second form requires a bit more planned execution of commands. He has only one attack that does 15 000 damange and Mental Break and Armour Break. Also decreases your MP to 0 so heal up with an Elixer. After a character is attacked with both breaks, Penance will instantly kill that character so have Auto-Life ready. He also has an ultimate attack called Judgement Day deals 99 999 damage to the whole party. He'll only use this is both arms are alive so kill the arms.

NOTE: You can use an Aeon to block attacks but do not use an Aeon Overdrive, it will slow down the CTB enough for Penance to kill your Aeon and still have enough turns to kill the party or at least hurt it much.

Xander
07-04-2004, 06:09 PM
This belongs in the FFX forum.

Ultima Shadow
07-04-2004, 07:42 PM
If you plan not to Zanmato it, the basic strat would be to max out all stats (especially agility, strength and HP), have Quick Hit, Auto-Life, Quick Pockets, Auto-Haste, Auto-Protect, Auto-Shell and Ribbon. And finally, a crapload of Megalixers.
First there's a detail missed here, It should be: Auto-Haste, Auto-Protect, Break HP limmit and Ribbon not Auto-Shell. There's only 4 slots for each armour and shell isn't that necesarry since almost all of Penance attacks is Pshycical, not magical. However, I didn't use Auto-Protect either, I had HP+30% instead, but Auto-Protect is much more usefull. Then, one more detail: HP MAXED OUT??? 99,999 hp really isn't necesarry, I only had around 40,000-50,000 hp and that included my HP+30%. The only stats that need to be MAXED OUT is defence, agility, strength and maybe accuraty (one missed hit can lead to game over). You also need something around 120 luck.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-05-2004, 12:08 AM
and I thought Penance was in FFX-2....

Ultima Shadow
07-05-2004, 05:34 PM
and I thought Penance was in FFX-2....
Well, he isn't. He's in FFX only and no other game I know.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Penance is only in FFX International, is that what you guys mean?

Ultima Shadow
07-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Yes.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Then why didnt anyone say that at the beginning????

Lord Chainsaw
07-15-2004, 04:14 AM
All this talk about how challenging he is is making me wanna fight this clown.

Too bad I don't have this International version. They don't by chance sell this in the US, do they?

aeris2001x2
07-15-2004, 04:24 PM
i imagine u can get a hold of it at good back street game storesto work on your ps2 as long as u chipped it. and believe me its well worth it for the extra challenge.

and lol he is a much harder clown then Kefka.

Ultima Shadow
07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
And not only is it worth it because of Penance. There's a load of Dark Aeons figth first + some other extra stuffs.

§håd0w
07-15-2004, 05:03 PM
i imagine u can get a hold of it at good back street game storesto work on your ps2 as long as u chipped it. and believe me its well worth it for the extra challenge.

Actually, this (http://www.customps2.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=8&cat=0) is a lot cheaper and will do very little/no damage to your PS2 at all. The only problem will be finding the Intl. version for a reasonable price. Most of them run $75 and higher. But I got mine in Okinawa for a little more than ¥6,000. So about $50 here. Now go get it.

But if you're looking to fight Penance, good luck. Hardest boss ever, IMHO. The only thing closest to him would be Omega Weapon from FFVIII or Trema in X-2. Then again, Trema wasn't that hard, just had almost all of his stats maxed and an ungodly amount of HP. But it's closer to Omega Weapon, that's how hard it is. And for Zanmato, you have basically a 1:1,000,000 chance of it happening unless you have all of Yojimbo's stats maxed, pay him max gil, and he has a full overdrive. Those are quite possibly the only circumstances in which he'll perform Zanmato against Penance, seeing as it is a lv. 5 fiend.

aeris2001x2
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
what? ok this is just my opinion...BUT why r u comparing the might of penanance to the pathetic bite bugs omega weapon of ff8 and trema?

all the dark aeons, nemesis, many other monster arena bossess, ozma, ultima weapon, ruby weapon, emerald weapon and ffV omega all walk over those two pathetic wretches.

imho the closest to penance is the dark magus sister all at once...and even they dont come close

but on the other hand

*Actually, this is a lot cheaper and will do very little/no damage to your PS2 at all. The only problem will be finding the Intl. version for a reasonable price. Most of them run $75 and higher. But I got mine in Okinawa for a little more than ¥6,000. So about $50 here. Now go get it.*

this is pretty good.

Ultima Shadow
07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Actually, only way Omega Weapon could be whorse than Penance in hardness is if you figth him without junction (only commands should be junctioned), drawable GFs, no final weapons and not refining cards to hero-items or stats boosting things (that means you can have max2 hero's as far as I know). But then again... if you compare that with figthing Penance without celestial weapons and break-HPlimit armour... Omega Weapon is an ant compared to Penance AND many, many other bosses.

§håd0w
07-15-2004, 07:37 PM
all the dark aeons, nemesis, many other monster arena bossess, ozma, ultima weapon, ruby weapon, emerald weapon and ffV omega all walk over those two pathetic wretches.

imho the closest to penance is the dark magus sister all at once...and even they dont come close

Funny, the only one out of those that was a challenge to me was Ruby Weapon. And I was really trying to stay out of FFX, and use other games. But whatever floats your boat.

Actually, only way Omega Weapon could be whorse than Penance in hardness is if you figth him without junction (only commands should be junctioned), drawable GFs, no final weapons and not refining cards to hero-items or stats boosting things (that means you can have max2 hero's as far as I know).

Heh, try fighting him at levels 23, 24, and 30 (Squall, Zell, and Quistis respectively). Now there's a challenge.

Ultima Shadow
07-15-2004, 07:46 PM
You can Beat Omega at level 7 and that's not even challanging at all!
Oh, and did you know that I have defeated him with blindfold?
And I'm serious about figthing him without the junctioning and stuff... I'm currently playing trough whole FFVIII that way. Look at FFVIII forum for more info.

§håd0w
07-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Lol, not that impressive. All you need to do is put Squall's gunblade on Auto-Trigger and press X a lot.

Ultima Shadow
07-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Lol, not that impressive. All you need to do is put Squall's gunblade on Auto-Trigger and press X a lot.
Ummm... not for beating the game the way I'm talking about! Really... what do you mean by that?

§håd0w
07-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I meant to defeat Omega with a blindfold, just put Squall's gunblade on Auto, and then press X to hit from turn to turn.

Ultima Shadow
07-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Oh... so you mean all you have to do is attack over and over again until he dies? What about Omega Weapon attacking you? Megido flame, Terra Break, Ligth Pillar etc. Oh, I forgot... I didn't use any hero-items or stuff like that and not Lion heart either. Seriously... first you say Omega Weapon is the closest to Penance, then you say all you need to do is: just put Squall's gunblade on Auto, and then press X to hit from turn to turn.

dman
07-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Then, one more detail: HP MAXED OUT??? 99,999 hp really isn't necesarry, I only had around 40,000-50,000 hp and that included my HP+30%.

Umm, actually I didn't need Break HP Limit at all. It's possible to do at 9999 HP, and curing is a lot less of a hassle since you can cure yourself in one megalixer. Try an armour of Auto-Protect, Auto-Haste, Def 20%, Auto-Potion, have 100 potions and the ingredients to Rikku's Trio of 9999. Use Cheer 5 times, and Obliteration only does around 5000 dmg, and Immolation does about 7000. Thanks to Auto-Potion + Trio of 9999, your party will automatically cure themselves every time they get hit, and they won't get cured 200 HP, but 9999 HP! No need for Ribbon, because the only status ailment you're going to face is slow (negated because of auto-haste) but you must not let the arms get ANY turns (actually you shouldn't let them get a turn in any strategy).

Just thought I'd share this if some of you don't want to spend hours on HP maxing.

square_is_the_best
07-16-2004, 12:25 AM
You know what would be awesome? If they ported FFX: International, FFX-2:International + Last Mission, and KH: Final Mix onto PSP. That would be so cool. *breaks into daydream*

§håd0w
07-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh... so you mean all you have to do is attack over and over again until he dies? What about Omega Weapon attacking you? Megido flame, Terra Break, Ligth Pillar etc. Oh, I forgot... I didn't use any hero-items or stuff like that and not Lion heart either. Seriously... first you say Omega Weapon is the closest to Penance, then you say all you need to do is: just put Squall's gunblade on Auto, and then press X to hit from turn to turn.

Terra Break is what makes him closest to Penance. Since that will wipe out the entire party regardless of defenses and support magic. Since it does around 12,000-13,000 to each character. As for Heros and Holy Wars, I didn't have any of them to use, so when I first beat him, I didn't have it, and I was only at the low levels I mentioned earlier. Don't get me wrong, but I never said directly that Omega was hard, nor did I say he was easy. I was just trying to show a comparison to those who've played only VIII, and give them a basic idea of what to expect. And as far as the other quote I made, I was being quite sarcastic about that. And I know Penance is much harder, I've fought and beaten him, 6 times to be exact (from playing the game over and over). But for those who have either do not own a PS2, do not have PAL or NTSC-J systems, or only played the ones that were released on PC (VII and VIII), they wouldn't know how hard it is; and I assume they fought Omega Weapon at least once, so it was a comparison... a very bad one if that makes you happier. But anywho... I'm through arguing about this, because it's gonna go nowhere. So this conversation about Omega is now over.

Just thought I'd share this if some of you don't want to spend hours on HP maxing.

Maxing HP is also pointless since it can drastically reduce other stats, since you must delete the nodes on the Sphere Grid to make more HP nodes. So what you lack in defense can be made up in HP slightly. But if you have already filled and activated the entire grid, then you should need to max or anything, since you're HP should be around 25,000 without any HP+ auto abilities. Defense and Magic defense should also be well over 220, if not maxed out. Just thought I'd share my two cents :p

Ultima Shadow
07-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Terra Break is what makes him closest to Penance. Since that will wipe out the entire party regardless of defenses and support magic. Since it does around 12,000-13,000 to each character. As for Heros and Holy Wars, I didn't have any of them to use, so when I first beat him, I didn't have it, and I was only at the low levels I mentioned earlier. Don't get me wrong, but I never said directly that Omega was hard, nor did I say he was easy. I was just trying to show a comparison to those who've played only VIII, and give them a basic idea of what to expect. And as far as the other quote I made, I was being quite sarcastic about that. And I know Penance is much harder, I've fought and beaten him, 6 times to be exact (from playing the game over and over). But for those who have either do not own a PS2, do not have PAL or NTSC-J systems, or only played the ones that were released on PC (VII and VIII), they wouldn't know how hard it is; and I assume they fought Omega Weapon at least once, so it was a comparison... a very bad one if that makes you happier. But anywho... I'm through arguing about this, because it's gonna go nowhere. So this conversation about Omega is now over.

Not just yet... I have one QUESTION what did you MEAN when you said: just put Squall's gunblade on Auto, and then press X to hit from turn to turn. This is just a question because I didn't relly understand what the point of that was. Once you answere this, the conversation about Omega will be over. And as for Terra Break... the command Defend makes all pshycical attacks do 0 dammage, and Terra Break is pshycical.

aeris2001x2
07-17-2004, 03:46 PM
exactly , terra break is easily defended against so omega weapon is pathetic and ultima has proved omega is a complete weed. however even this complete weed requires tactics to defeat, unless u cheat using invincibility or use Zells infameous 1,000,000+ damage limit. so please answer ultima,s question if u will.

dman
07-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Maxing HP is also pointless since it can drastically reduce other stats, since you must delete the nodes on the Sphere Grid to make more HP nodes. So what you lack in defense can be made up in HP slightly. But if you have already filled and activated the entire grid, then you should need to max or anything, since you're HP should be around 25,000 without any HP+ auto abilities. Defense and Magic defense should also be well over 220, if not maxed out. Just thought I'd share my two cents :p

By using 4-up stat nodes only, you can get 255 stats plus 999 MP, and still have enough space for 70,000 worth of HP. To reach 99,999 therfore, you'll need to free up 30000/300 = 100 nodes, sacrificing 400 points from all the other stats. HP +30% is too useless an ability to put on an armour, (even then, you'll only have about 91000 HP and you'll have to sacrifice 30 nodes, 120 points worth of stats).

Definately not worth it, when you get get through most of the game with unmaxed HP + auto-phoenix combo.

§håd0w
07-20-2004, 01:36 AM
exactly , terra break is easily defended against so omega weapon is pathetic and ultima has proved omega is a complete weed. however even this complete weed requires tactics to defeat, unless u cheat using invincibility or use Zells infameous 1,000,000+ damage limit. so please answer ultima,s question if u will.

I have made it clear that I am done with this, and I'm not discussing it anymore. So please don't tell mek, or ask me to speak more on a topic that I have clearly stated I would not discuss anymore. As for Ultima Shadow's question; I will say this one last time, since I haven't been ordered around by you just yet, and I don't wanna end on a bad note at all.

If you put Squall's gunblade on auto, it automatically triggers on Renzokuken, right? Yes, it's right, I know what I meant when I said it. Therefore, once you have Squall's limit active, all you will need to do is press X, and he will trigger it and you will not need to do anymore work. This is the last I am speaking of this, and the last time I will post in this thread about this subject. Hence, therefore, ergo, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc, etc... this is over. PLEASE do not bother me about this is anymore, if proving someone wrong for their opinion, or telling them to shove it, makes you happy, then please leave me out of it.

aeris2001x2
07-21-2004, 11:45 AM
whoh, touchy. and i dont recall ordering you 2 do anything...

anyway, ok this is not for u to answer, just a statement.

just using auto renzokuken wont work for you would require the use of curative items before medigo flame, defend before terra break and life after light pillar to win. that is all...

-N-
07-22-2004, 02:34 AM

I coulda sworn this was FFX...

But WHO is Penance? Like... WHO? Is there a story to this guy?

Ultima Shadow
07-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Not really... as far as I know. The Dark Aeons + Penance is a great mystery, they just show up to kick your ass.

aeris2001x2
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
no there is no story to them but i just make up my own.

e.g- the Dark Aeons are Spiras strongest Fayth, controlled by Yevon,s high council who actively seek you out when they realise you threaten there rule.

Penance is Beville,s strongest Machina who was the main instrement in the destruction of Zanerkand 1000 years prior. he was defeated by Sin.

however even Sin could not destroy it. it was bound in the calm lands by some kind of magic spell by Yu yevon. however, the spirits of the dead dark aeons break this seal and unleash it.

it has long since lost control and is just as dangerous as SIN. and if they fought again, the likely outcome would have been Armageddon.

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2004, 09:17 PM
he was defeated by Sin.

This is the only line that doesn't make sense. :p
Nice story.

aeris2001x2
07-23-2004, 09:57 PM
i believe SIN arose out of the ashes of Zanerkand after Penance had destroyed it and knocked penance flying. without penance, beville was at SIN,S mercy until, as you know, yunalesca offered to defeat sin with her husband.

i know u think sin could never touch penance, but sin used his most powerful attack(u know, that move when u fight sin and dont beat him fast enough, its game over regardless and strongest move in the game).

§håd0w
07-23-2004, 10:10 PM
That would be Giga Gravija. Oh man, I took the warning of "Beat him before he opens his mouth" as a complete joke, then I discovered that thing kicks anyone's ass.