PDA

View Full Version : I hate the bridges of madison county, but it's followed by robocop so it's all good!

Lindy
07-04-2004, 10:39 PM
I hate the bridge of madison county, it's a terrible film. Or more likely, I hate romantic dramas. I mean, all they ever are is just people who've never met before overcoming adversity and SLOWLY growing to love each other, like over the space of 2 or 3 boring hours. Oh god, the death. I like romantic comedies because they're sweet, and good, and fun and stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENS. As a pose to clint and that woman talking and stuff for a million years, and then FINALLY being happy. I hate that film.

But I like robocop, and by that I mean awesome violence, oh so good.

Paul Verhoeven = good.

Basically, what genres do you like and what genres do you not like?

RSL
07-05-2004, 05:13 AM
I don't really have any favorite genres, but there are a few that I copletely avoid. I will not watch anything that is horror, or any movie staring such people as Jean Claude Van Damm (sp?) Chuck Norris, Steven Segal, etc. I consider those guys a genre, and I hate it.

Otherwise, almost any genre can produce a good movie, if it is well made.

Meow
07-05-2004, 05:24 AM
i've a special place in my heart for movies that try their damnedest to turn your head to pudding. Darren Aronofsky's work comes to mind. Or, for example, <i>Donnie Darko</i>.

Romantic dramas can be very rewarding if done well, but therein lies the rub. None come to mind at the moment.

Miriel
07-05-2004, 05:32 AM
If I really had to choose a genre as my favorite it would probably be Dramedy (ie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, About a Boy, Adaptation etc.)

But for the most part I enjoy movies from all genres except Horror. Not that I don't enjoy a good horror movie, it's just that I'll literally have nightmares for months after I see a scary movie, even if the movie is pathetically UN-scary *shrugs*

gokufusionss1
07-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Paul Verhoeven = good.

what about showgirls?

eestlinc
07-05-2004, 05:05 PM
total recall

i like movies that are insane

Moose Knight
07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
I like Dune (David Lynch's version, not that stupid crap by the sci-fi channel).

I like Escape from New York, that movie is so badass I can't believe it.

Lindy
07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
what about showgirls?
Ok, fine, but one slip up doesn't ruin the man who made Robocop.

Also, Total Recall is probably the high point of Arnie's career for me, after that, it went downhill.

Slasher films, because the kids always win, it's sad, and I hate it.

gokufusionss1
07-07-2004, 08:30 PM
arnies carrear hit a high with predator it's the only film he acted well in.

Lindy
07-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I think he acted well enough in Total Recall.

With great lines like "See you at the party victor" as a guy gets his hands chopped off by a lift is pretty damn good.

gokufusionss1
07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
no way in predator the black guy gets both his arms choped off while his is firing his uzis way better.

Rye
07-07-2004, 08:57 PM
I like romantic comedies, just plain comedies, and action films. I don't like horrors all that much.

Leeza
07-07-2004, 09:51 PM
The Bridges of Madison County is on my list for top best movies. I don't normally care for chick flicks, but this one is an exception.

I don't really have a favourite genre for movies. There are good movies in all, but I prefer the scary ones, especially if they have vampires.

Lindy
07-07-2004, 10:26 PM
You've never seen Dracula 2000 have you? Or Underworld?

Or any other number of terrible vampire films?

Though, while I forget the name, I liked the one where it covered the truth behind the filming of Nosferatu, where they had a real vampire instead of an actor.

Leeza
07-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Lindz, we just obviously have different tastes. I liked Underworld and I just rented Dracula 2000. I'll probably like it as well. :)

Lindy
07-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Ok, so Dracula 2000 wasn't THAT bad, I have to admit it was inventive in parts, but rather cheesy. I swear that you'll laugh at the top of your lungs when they explain the truth behind Dracula, it's pretty hilarious.

And I haven't seen all of Underworld, since I had to go home from my friends house half way through, but it seemed to be mostly a matrix/x-men ripoff.

Funny how I mentioned a film you'd just rented though, very funny coincidence.

Then again, I do like a lot of films that are pretty much considered rubbish, just because they're rubbish and predictable, like most Van Damme films. Or Commando, that god awful, and yet brilliant Arnie action film, full of cheesy lines, wooden acting and terrible stunt direction. Magic.

Kirobaito
07-07-2004, 10:53 PM
I'll watch just about anything besides chick flicks. I like comedy, action, adventure, horror, but I find the plotlines in chick flicks to be outrageous (though they're not supposed to be) and pointless.

Mr. Graves
07-08-2004, 05:09 AM
I'll watch anything but chick flicks. No thank ya.

I love action movies, especially with plenty of comic relief. Exit Wounds was a great example of this.

-N-
07-08-2004, 05:55 AM
I'd like to think of myself as eclectic, but I really stay away from chick flicks and cheesy action/disaster flicks, not because of they're genre, but because they really all suck.

Leeza
07-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Ok, so Dracula 2000 wasn't THAT bad, I have to admit it was inventive in parts, but rather cheesy. I swear that you'll laugh at the top of your lungs when they explain the truth behind Dracula, it's pretty hilarious.
Whoever came up with that explanation was definitely thinking <i>outside the box</i>! And considering that it had some pretty darn good actors, it was rather cheesy, but still entertaining. :)