PDA

View Full Version : WHM --> Hume location?

Kegsay
07-05-2004, 07:05 PM
This is the last one I swear... for now. I am going to be a Hume WHM, should I start in Windurst or Bastok? Bastok's home to the Hume whereas Windurst is home to the mage. Any ideas?

Ouch!
07-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Windurst may be a good choice, especially because it has better options when shopping for magic outside of the AH (the low level magic shop on the boat in Port Windurst.

The only thing you'd get for starting in Bastok is the ring, which wouldn't be too terribly beneficial for you white mage, but it'd offer three more HP, one vitality point and one dexterity. The ring doesn't offer much when it comes to magic classes.

Edit: One thing I forgot to add, the monsters in Sarutabaruta (the areas just outside of Windurst) are slightly easier for magic users. It's much easier to fight mandgragoras and the likes with a mage than it is to take on things you'll run into in Gustaberg, such as the sheep and lizards.

Lionx
07-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Again its totally up to you, i would recommend Windurst for magic selection, and if on midgard, becuase its #1! ^^b

Each city is good and bad on some areas, just choose, the ring as a mage matters little.

ZeZipster
07-06-2004, 05:32 AM
I would think it'd be easier to start in Bastok, how tough monsters are won't really matter if all you're doing is curing things in a party... I personally would go for the ring, but I'm biased.

Lionx
07-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Um i think the point is that everyone solos lvl 1-10, and petrification and all those other mean things are more present in Bastok than Windurst where windurst all you have to worry about is Crawler Poison which isnt even an issue at lvl 6.

Kyri
07-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm a Hume WHM and I started in Windurst

Citizen Bleys
07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I'd actually say Bastok, and it's not out of any sort of nationalism, because a) I'm San d'Orian, and b) I effing hate Bastok.

The problem with Windurst is getting to the point where you can go to Valkurm--In Bastok or San d'Oria, you would have an easier time getting parties as a mage. In Windurst, everybody's a mage, and they want tanks.

Of course, if you don't plan on partying at low levels, it doesn't matter, but I find that it helps a lot.

Although I have to agree on the Bastokan ring--it's pretty much useless to a mage. The Windurstian Ring is much more useful, but you'd have to be a Taru or a Mithra and start in Windy to get it.

The other thing I don't like about Windurst is that it's a sod of a long way from Valkurm, where you'll want to level from lvs 10-19...you'd have to go from E Saruta to Tahrongi, circle around that infernally irritating mountain, go through Buburimu, which is just as dangerous as Valkurm, waste 15 minutes on a boat to Selbina, and then you're there...and then if you want to do any missions during lvs 10-19, you have to go back to Windy, which is the same infernal procedure.

That's what I like best about Sandy--it's closest to Valkurm. Just a straightforward jog through W Ronfaure and La Theine. Bastok's not far, but you do have to go through an extra map (Valkurm -> Konschtat, which has an annoying detour that's almost as bad as the mountain in Tahrongi -> North Gustaberg -> South Gustaberg -> Bastok.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were possible to get from the part of North Gusty that connects to Konschtat to the part of North Gusty that connects to Port Bastok, but there's a big frigging ridge in the way, and you have to detour through South Gusty.

Also, I generally find that the low-level (1-10) is easiest around Bastok, even if it's pitifully depressing and the prices at the AH are ridiculously inflated.

ZeZipster
07-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Also, I generally find that the low-level (1-10) is easiest around Bastok, even if it's pitifully depressing and the prices at the AH are ridiculously inflated.

That really depends on the server...

Lionx
07-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Yea Bleys prices vary from server to server with some items similarly priced usually.

Partying is usually lvl 10+, so i say its pretty moot on partying and stuff. Plus its easy to go to Valkurm, tho i rather lvl in the Maze where mages excel against worms there. The point is dont just go to Valkurm, there are plenty of places to go to in order to lvl up in Windurst side, its just not enough ppl like to try it.

I find it easier in Windy to lvl up and i dont think i would go elsewhere, the mobs in Sandy suck as in Crystal drops being mosty earth based cept the fungars..which are dangerous in poison..MUCH more dangerous than the Crawlers(which in turn drop silk).

Kegsay
07-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Hmmm I've thought about it and I'm probably going to start in... Hmm i think this calls for pro/cons.

Bastok

PROS = Valkrum is easy levelling, mages in demand, the useless ring bonus

CONS = Not nice for a WHM mob wise, no particular mage type shop

Windurst

PROS = Mage type shops, nice mobs

CONS = No ring whatsoever, everyones a mage, hard to level up when PTing app

BASTOK = +3 , -2 = 1
WINDURST +2, -3 = -1

Ok that settles it, I start in Bastok. Thank to the bloody updates, I couldn't play yesterday and it didn't help the update failing... I guess it's Friday then..

Thanks all for your tips

Citizen Bleys
07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
That's still a pretty close call, admittedly. And when it comes to it, San d'Oria is closer to Valkurm than Bastok and not bloody depressing.

*can't help but throw a monkey wrench into the works*

Lionx
07-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Actually let me be frank...even there might be more mages in Windurst there will NEVER ever be enough mages. People will ask you to party in valkurm even if you are in Tahrongi on the Windurst side. As a WHM your going to be in high demand because at low levels, WHMs are important as they learn the spells earlier and much more MP to work with, hence i dont think it matters at all. PTs will keep on comming.

There are magic shops in each city, its just Windurst has a much much more diverse selection.

Rostum
07-07-2004, 10:09 PM
It doesn't take that long at all to go to Valkurm Dunes from Windurst anyways, and it's much easier to level a mage in Windurst. I've tried leveling both mage a melee, and I find melee to be much longer to level. As a mage, Windurst is the best option, IMO.

You will find your view on this game will change dramatically, as it did for me, once you get in there and start playing alot.

Kegsay
07-08-2004, 07:33 PM
ok ok ok, I'll start in Windy... This is so confusing, but Windurst it is since Omecle and Lionx have helped me out so much, I'll take their side. Biased? Never.