PDA

View Full Version : Too much (of that other kind of) Information

DMKA
07-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Do you think too much info is given away about upcoming titles, like some things that would of been just so much more amazing and cool just experienceing it without prior knowledge?

I personally think so...I mean, heres a good example, in Kingdom Hearts II one of the new FF characters joining the cast will be none other than the badass himself, Auron of FFX. Now, while thats great and cool, it would of been so much cooler to just see him without prior knowledge, don't you think? I do anyway. I would of rather not known but now I do thanks to PSM...and every gaming website I've been on.

So do you think we're given too much info on games before they come out lately?

Big D
07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
It's been going on for a while, and it's a pain. Lots of info on plots and characters is available well in advance, you can spoil a lot of surprises just by reading a magazine or browsing over a website.

I consciously avoid hunting for details on FFXII and FFVII:AC simply because enough has been given away about those two titles already, and I'd rather have a surprise or two left before I start out on a fictional journey, especially one of FF-epic proportions.

Back when FFVIII just came out, before I bought it, I was browsing through a magazine, looking at a review. A review, where people are supposed to find out whether they might like the game, whether they want to buy it. So the magazine goes and says that the antagonist of the game is "a sorceress from the future". Way to take the edge off disc three and four... not a huge spoiler, but it did mean I had little reaction to revelations like Ultimecia's location and Ellone's power.

Rostum
07-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I usualy read enough to see what the characters look like and their names. I never really try and get informed of the plot or anything though, as I love experiencing it without any of the knowledge. Expecialy with FFVII: AC; All I want to know is what characters are going to be in it, as it gets me more excited about it.

Jalbrean
07-07-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm doing my best to avoid any spoilers for Xenosaga Episode II. It's really tough, I feel drawn to know more of the plot as soon as possible, but I want it to be all a surprise as I play. It's going to be a tough couple of months. =\

White Raven
07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Even though there are tonnes of movies of Tales of Symphonia, I'm not watching any of them. I'd rather wait for my first experience of watching it on a TV.

DMKA
07-07-2004, 03:09 PM
I mean its not so much the fact that you can have prior knowledge that bugs me, its the fact that its gotten to the point where we actually have to try to avoid aquiring prior knowledge that does.

I remember when FFX-2 was on its way it was like this...gah I'm really hoping they arn't as bad with FFXII but I'm sure they will be.

Trumpet Thief
07-08-2004, 02:34 AM
I'm doing my best to avoid any spoilers for Xenosaga Episode II. It's really tough, I feel drawn to know more of the plot as soon as possible, but I want it to be all a surprise as I play. It's going to be a tough couple of months. =\

Bah too late. Some of the trailers have left us at large cliffhangers, and some (like the E3 one) have spoiled so much about the game, it is not even funny. I know practically the main idea of the storyline, and the only question that needs to be answered for me is if the more of the chaos/Wilheim stuff is going to be revealed, along with if Albedo will not be tragic villan.

About this topic, I totally agree with DevilMayKickAss, too much is given out about upcoming games that you are yet to play. I have yet to play a game without knowing the ending before I finish it. I have also yet to play a game that is going to come up, that I won't have a lot of it spoiled.

It would have been fun to find out about the FF characters during actual gameplaying, not finding out by other sources. Damn, I have just now realized how fun it would have been to play KHII and find out about Auron there.

edczxcvbnm
07-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I find out all I can about the games.......when it comes to how to play them. I skip over story stuff for the most part to keep that aspect alive but I can always prep myself for a game so I know what I am getting into. A little bit of plot is nice so that I know if I will give a damn or not. Its like watching a movie trailer...no different.

kikimm
07-09-2004, 05:22 AM
I completely agree. Not only is it like this in games, but in movies as well. By watching one 30-second trailer, I know basically everything that's going to happen in the movie. It's lame that they feel the need to put all that in a trailer--what's the point?

I'll admit that it's pretty hard for me to keep my hands off all the new stuff that's coming in, but in doing that, i'm sure the games will be a lot better. i really wish that i never even knew what the character's names are in FF12. I've been really good at staying away from that game, after learning the hard way with FF10.

why do they put that stuff on the net anyways? it doesn't make me want to play the game even more---after i know too much, what's the point? it just ruins the entire gaming experience. *sigh*

:D

DMKA
07-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Urrrg I know with movies too...its not so much that they make trailers, but have you noticed that lately movie trailers seem to have all the key parts, good parts, or they arrange them to where it basically sums up the movies events into a few minutes? Gah I hate that.

I remember the good ol' days...when I played FFVII I knew NOTHING about it and man, was it great.

kikimm
07-11-2004, 11:50 PM
that's what i've been trying to do with games recently. it's always better when i'm completely clueless. i'll just try to close off my ears from any information that's around. if only there was a way to stop this stupid kind of stuff.

:D