PDA

View Full Version : we're all in this together, kid

eestlinc
07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty sure most all of us here were ostracized or made fun of at one point in our lives for being different, nerdy, geeky, dorky, stupid, "gay", or whatever. We're all part of the video game nerd family. We come here to be among our own kind, to be understood, to be accepted. We come here to have fun, discuss our shared passions, and to make oscure inside jokes that others will actually understand and laugh at (usually).

We're not all best friends. There are members that I don't particularly like. There are members that don't particularly like me. That's life. However, we're all a family and we should all respect each other. If you don't like someone, fine. Please don't use these forums to spew anger or spite. (Unless you are Spuuky, in which case you can spew anger and hatred equally in all directions.)

If you really can't stand to read the posts of a fellow member, put them on your ignore list. Better yet, learn to accept and live with people you don't like. Guess what: it's not going to be any different for the rest of your life. We can all coexist peacefully without being a huge love-fest or gigantic man-woman-quina huggle.

Also, jokes are great. I like to be sarcastic and pick fun at others when I know they don't mind. If I do it to someone who does mind, I'll stop when they say so. Remember, all you have to say is "would you <i>please</i> stop calling me chief!" We should all follow this rule: when the butt of a joke asks the rest of us to stop making the damn joke, let's be respectful and do so. It's fun until someone gets hurt, and the hurt can be emotional as well as physical. You can say "get over it" but remember: we've all been there before. We can show empathy.

The lifeblood of these great forums is the membership. We always lament the members of years past who have gone away and never post anymore. We need to stop and think about our actions, and if we cause people to leave by the way we treat them. We can't keep everyone happy all the time, but we can at least do our best to foster a welcoming and open environment for fellow members. You never know what you had until you lose it. Let's not ruin the magic by being jerks.

We're all in this together, kid.

TasteyPies
07-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Give me a hug brutha BREN! :moomba:

SomethingBig
07-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, I like ya, Bren. I just hope you like me. :cry:

Wizdumb
07-10-2004, 12:33 AM
F' them if that can't take a joke. Joke them if they can't take an f'.

Advice given to me by my dad. XD

Shoyku
07-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Feelin' the love.

MecaKane
07-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Yes, spews of hatred are much better confided to LJ or whathaveyou, as you cannot get banned for that. :love:

FleshMask
07-10-2004, 12:53 AM
I don't really care for anyone's opinion of me, but I do mind when they threat to do nasty things to me...

you hate me... okay...
you want to kill me... that's a problem....

but then I have that right to hate others as well....

You can't make me like you.... but I'm not gonna hurt you.

It's my right...

People suck... I'm people as well... so are you...

deal...

that's what I say...

ZeZipster
07-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Does this mean... We'll all begin talking about Final Fantasy?

DMKA
07-10-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure most all of us here were ostracized or made fun of at one point in our lives for being different, nerdy, geeky, dorky, stupid, "gay", or whatever. We're all part of the video game nerd family. We come here to be among our own kind, to be understood, to be accepted. We come here to have fun, discuss our shared passions, and to make oscure inside jokes that others will actually understand and laugh at (usually).

We're not all best friends. There are members that I don't particularly like. There are members that don't particularly like me. That's life. However, we're all a family and we should all respect each other. If you don't like someone, fine. Please don't use these forums to spew anger or spite. (Unless you are Spuuky, in which case you can spew anger and hatred equally in all directions.)

If you really can't stand to read the posts of a fellow member, put them on your ignore list. Better yet, learn to accept and live with people you don't like. Guess what: it's not going to be any different for the rest of your life. We can all coexist peacefully without being a huge love-fest or gigantic man-woman-quina huggle.

Also, jokes are great. I like to be sarcastic and pick fun at others when I know they don't mind. If I do it to someone who does mind, I'll stop when they say so. Remember, all you have to say is "would you please stop calling me chief!" We should all follow this rule: when the butt of a joke asks the rest of us to stop making the damn joke, let's be respectful and do so. It's fun until someone gets hurt, and the hurt can be emotional as well as physical. You can say "get over it" but remember: we've all been there before. We can show empathy.

The lifeblood of these great forums is the membership. We always lament the members of years past who have gone away and never post anymore. We need to stop and think about our actions, and if we cause people to leave by the way we treat them. We can't keep everyone happy all the time, but we can at least do our best to foster a welcoming and open environment for fellow members. You never know what you had until you lose it. Let's not ruin the magic by being jerks.

We're all in this together, kid.
Omg...Bren you're the coolest I love you...I agree 100%. :D

Oh and ZeZipster...I'm not too sure about that FF thing... :/

fire_of_avalon
07-10-2004, 01:23 AM
I swear you made a topic with this exact title once upon a time.

But I agree, let's not be jerks. Nobody's been a real jerk to me yet though. Yay!

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 01:36 AM
I did, but it was about Eugene Debs.

Fuzakeru
07-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Let's not ruin the magic by being jerks.

You know, I was thinking about this today. This is the only forum I go to everyday and actually enjoy posting at. Everytime I've had a serious decision to make or perhaps a situation I needed to get off my chest I came here and sought you guys out. When I need a good laugh I'm sure I'll find one somewhere. If I'm in a particularly bad mood there's always somewhere to vent.

I'm sure not everyone here loves me and I know that but everyone I've ever talked to has respected me and treated me with kindness. That's what keeps me coming back every single day.

Without trying to sound corny - this forum is magical almost. It's the only community I've seen where it's members are as loyal as they are. I thank everyone here for giving me that ( much needed ) sense of friendship even though a thousand miles of cyber space seperate.

-sniffles- I LoVe You GuYS!

Cloud_99
07-10-2004, 03:11 AM
I love you all. Especially the hot female alls ;)

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Amen Bren! Spread the good word!

Kirobaito
07-10-2004, 03:25 AM
I love you too eest. :D

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 03:30 AM
:Oo: :excited: :hyper: :hyper: AW COME ON! GROUP HUG EVERYONE!

Yamaneko
07-10-2004, 03:37 AM
This is so gay.

Agent Proto
07-10-2004, 03:39 AM
All-Male Group Hug™ time!!!

ZeZipster
07-10-2004, 03:41 AM
There is only one word to describe how I am feeling with all you guys, happy (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=kinky).

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 03:44 AM
(All male? This just keeps getting better and better!)

Denmark
07-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Does this mean... We'll all begin talking about Final Fantasy?

nnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo

and I agree with you wholly, eest. there are people I don't particularly care for, and there are probably people who don't care for me.

before I go on, I'd like to say that I basically quoted eest without even knowing it, and I'm proud. :D

anyway. moving right along.

this forum allowed me to make friends that are better than any friend I have in real life. sounds kinda sad, and it is, but the thing is I have friends. :D

so. *hgu*

bennator
07-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Wait, does this mean we have to stop with the Bleys' Crotch jokes? I'm sad....

Really, though, what I think makes EoFF stand above many other message boards is it's lack of hatred/insults. Most people use the internet as a liscense to make fun of everyone around them. Here, that doesn't really occur, mostly we are all nice to each other. That's why I keep coming back to EoFF.

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 04:03 AM
This is true, I must admit.

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 04:04 AM
we are mostly nice to each other, but i've been seeing a little more animosity and inconsideration than is good.
and if the only result of this thread is the end of Bleys's crotch jokes, I will have more than fulfilled my duty to improve the world.

Del Murder
07-10-2004, 04:17 AM
I see a thread started by eest but I don't know what it says because I have him on my ignore list.

Citizen Bleys
07-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Keep on dreaming. Animosity is one thing that will never be stamped out.

Especially not here.

Yamaneko
07-10-2004, 05:11 AM
There's less of it here than in other places though.

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 05:27 AM
And it is an admirable goal, one must admit.

Shlup
07-10-2004, 05:30 AM
It is the fourth sign. Soon the skies will rain fire.

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 05:35 AM
Not at all cynical is that?

-N-
07-10-2004, 06:06 AM
What prompted this, eest?

Loony BoB
07-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Also, jokes are great. I like to be sarcastic and pick fun at others when I know they don't mind. If I do it to someone who does mind, I'll stop when they say so. Remember, all you have to say is "would you <i>please</i> stop calling me chief!" We should all follow this rule: when the butt of a joke asks the rest of us to stop making the damn joke, let's be respectful and do so. It's fun until someone gets hurt, and the hurt can be emotional as well as physical. You can say "get over it" but remember: we've all been there before. We can show empathy.
Yes! If anyone still calls me BooB or b00b, I would be happy if they would stop.

But I tell them that all the time.

And the keep calling me it.

And it annoys me, deep down inside. And it makes me not like them.

Rainecloud
07-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I can feel the love in the air. :D

I've disliked a few EoFF members in the past, but they've all left now due to personal reasons. That makes me feel happy and privileged. On a side note, I know me and HOOTERS haven't always gotten along that well. But, HOOTERS: I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for hating you without you even knowing it. *manly hug*

Shlup
07-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Yes! If anyone still calls me BooB or b00b, I would be happy if they would stop.Haha, it's funny that you think what he said applies to you.

The Captain
07-10-2004, 09:11 AM
More eloquent words you'll never hear. Mighty fine post there Eest.

May we all find our paths in life and walk them to there end, gaining happiness and serenity that all deserve but so few ever seem to achieve.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
07-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Haha, it's funny that you think what he said applies to you.
Quiet, Squeak.

Citizen Bleys
07-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Yes! If anyone still calls me BooB or b00b, I would be happy if they would stop.

I stopped.

Also, I find it very ironic that even in this thread, people are blathering on about my effing crotch, even though I've been trying to get people to shut the *arf* up about it literally for years. Seriously, people--it might have been funny in 2001. It's now 2004. It's time to find a new *arf*ing joke.

Sometimes I wish more people would follow Baloki's fine example and not know that I ever existed.

Cz
07-10-2004, 10:08 AM
That was beautiful. Not to mention absolutely true.

MasterGuardian
07-10-2004, 10:49 AM
that is true im more a comedian myself but its hard to have friends when youe thefool

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 03:36 PM
(Bleys snapped...;)) Truthfully, I've never gotten into thes jokes. Except for a few pot-shots at Jenova.Rebith. But he's always happy to give a poke or two in return. All in good fun. I try not to offend, so if I have, or do, just tell me. I'll behave.

Mr. Graves
07-10-2004, 03:56 PM
It's a community on the internet. The Internet. Remember that. Everyone takes potshots at each other, and the staff cannot take care of every single instance. You just have to ignore it, as there's no other way to deal with it, sadly enough. Or, rationalise that the person wasn't being jerk after all, and say he was only trying to poke fun. But you just tell yourself that. But what can you do? That's the one down side to internet foruming.

This place is one of the best when it comes to general respect, but not always. No place is perfect. (Remember what happened in mid-May of 2003?) But I'll agree on it being up to us to make it sure it's at least semi-perfect and the best it can possibly be.

Leeza
07-10-2004, 04:09 PM
eest, your post should be Rule #9 of our IMPORTANT general rules of the board. :)

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I didn't even know we had those. :)

Leeza
07-10-2004, 04:35 PM
<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_eoff_rules">Newbie!</a> :)

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 04:36 PM
when I was a newbie, we didn't have those. why would I read the FAQ afterwards :)

Seriously, it's very easy to fix these sorts of problems. If someone is upsetting you, let them know. If you are upsetting someone and they tell you, listen to them and stop.

SomethingBig
07-10-2004, 04:40 PM
I think part, if not most, of the reason there's so very little flamage here is because of the site staff. They do a terrific job(I luvs yas all!) keepin' the peace. In the other forums that I post in, none of the site staff do their jobs and, as a result, there's flaming everywhere. Keep up the good work, all you great staff members.

Del Murder
07-10-2004, 05:03 PM
There wouldn't be any animocity in this world if everyone would just shut up. :)

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 06:49 PM
you can lead by example :)

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Peace and tranquility, people! Peace and tranquility!

Female Ryuichi
07-10-2004, 08:07 PM

K.

*stops*

Seriously, the general niceness of this board is one of the reasons I still vist this board.

I now want a group hug :) :p

Giga Guess
07-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Awwwww.... :bored: ANOTHER ONE?

Oh, all right! *Biiiiiig hug!*

eestlinc
07-10-2004, 08:56 PM
someone link Skanker to this thread.

escobert
07-10-2004, 10:01 PM

I wold never call you B00B since damn people call me that in real life :mad2:

Rainecloud
07-10-2004, 10:05 PM
It is the fourth sign. Soon the skies will rain fire.

Following on from that, I believe I can hear the four horsemen of the apocalypse galloping down from heaven.

CloudySky
07-10-2004, 10:46 PM
A very nice tread! Congrats!
Nevertheless,... there is one thing that bothers me deeply. Actually I have impression that flaming don't exists at this forum only because the great part of the community are pure posters, i.e. they actually never read posts! There are no threads with thousands of replies, living for months, I can't see real discussions either, and it's more of monologue then dialogue. That makes arguing impossible. Who would argue with himself/herself?

Citizen Bleys
07-11-2004, 03:22 AM
A very nice tread! Congrats!

It would be if people would actually listen to it instead of just taking the piss out of eest for having some ideals to follow instead of being a cynical *arf* like the rest of us.

Then again, that's our loss. Cynical people are always unhappy. I guess eest's just got it better than the rest of us in that respect, and we're all trying not to admit that we're jealous.

eestlinc
07-11-2004, 05:04 AM
yea, we'll see how much people remember this in another few weeks.

DMKA
07-11-2004, 05:14 AM
Remember what?

-N-
07-11-2004, 05:57 AM
What prompted this, eest?

UltimateSpamGrover
07-11-2004, 06:19 AM
I swear you made a topic with this exact title once upon a time.

But I agree, let's not be jerks. Nobody's been a real jerk to me yet though. Yay!

I'm your first jerk, nice to meet you

eestlinc
07-11-2004, 07:27 AM
just the desire to see a stronger community.

HOOTERS
07-11-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to ask people if they could stop making fun of me for being stupid or being a drunk.

...NOT :smash:

Even if I was stupid and a drunk I still wouldn't give a shit if people made fun of me for it. I make fun of people here all the time, but they're all people who can take a joke, at least I'm pretty sure they can. The jury is still out on Bleys and Rainecloud. :smash:

In summary you all suck. Some more than others. Notably Yams.

edit: the :smash: didn't come out bigger :(

Meat Puppet
07-11-2004, 11:03 AM
The whole 'taking the joke too far thing' is what got me banned from a certain other forum.

I've also noticed a creeping name some people have started to call me hear. Some examples are 'meat head', and 'meat slice', and in other places something changing my name to reproductive organs. Okay, I admit it was funny.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif

HOOTERS
07-11-2004, 03:18 PM
omg *saves* :smash:

edit: hey how did you make it big? When I save it it goes small again.

Great God Om
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
so sweet....*gives love-lettuce to everyone*

Giga Guess
07-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Awww...that's so sweet...!

*GOBBLE, snarf, much!*

bennator
07-11-2004, 07:18 PM
HOOTERS, I think instead of just inserting the smilie, meat puppet is using the <<b></b>img> tag to link to the smilie, and manually changing the height and width, like this:<br> <<b></b>img src="http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif" height=150 width=200>.

Looks like that worked!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif

Leeza
07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Now you've done it, bennator! That's too much knowledge in the wrong hands. :)

Citizen Bleys
07-11-2004, 08:28 PM
The jury is still out on Bleys and Rainecloud.

No, I'm afraid I'm just a cynical old crankpot and I hate everybody.

Especially Yams.

Lindy
07-11-2004, 09:02 PM
All this niceness is making me want to find a forum full of bitterness and animosity.

Most likely an Emo forum, though they'll probably all be busy crying there.

Eh, I practice what eest preaches, at least now anyway. If I don't like someone, I ignore them.
And if I really hate them, I'll just talk about them behind their back.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Especially Yams.
Who doesn't?

Rusty
07-12-2004, 06:19 AM
What a brilliant thread :)

HOOTERS
07-12-2004, 12:55 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/smash.gif

Thanks bennator!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/beer.gif

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/banana.gif

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/goofy.gif

hehehe....

ps link me that site when you find it lindz :smash:

<b>Edit by Yamaneko: For the love of... Those images slow down even my super fast computer. I'll be editing this.</b>

White Raven
07-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Though I agree with what your saying in theory, I'd rather think of myself as a translator of the nerd world to the normal world. :p

Female Ryuichi
07-12-2004, 02:55 PM
All this niceness is making me want to find a forum full of bitterness and animosity.

Search for Gaia online. Full of horrible people and the like!

Citizen Bleys
07-12-2004, 09:46 PM

xD

That's what makes it so much fun, though.

gokufusionss1
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
i embrace my nerdiness i think it makes me specal.

Rainecloud
07-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Am I the only one who remembers the old Final Fantasy Alpha? *shudder*

Anyway, that wasn't a bash at the current board, as it's improved a lot since its dark days.

eestlinc
07-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Next week I'll be posting a new thread: "On closer consideration, you all are a bunch of smelly goodfornothings!"

Christmas
04-14-2022, 11:32 PM
Well, you are one of those that we lament about! I am so putting everyone into my ignore list as suggested! :mad2:

PS: And Hooters is cool. The rest can go some suck some chlorophyll and photosynthesis yourself!

Christmas
04-14-2022, 11:35 PM
But seriously though, that bloke makes a lot of sense. Why didn't those banned members follow his advice? I blame the EoFF pope for not guiding those lambs. :(