PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About FF2

BBman108
07-10-2004, 08:42 AM
So ive been playing FF2 alot lately (gasp!). Ive been trying to get some serious advice and all i keep getting is junk. So I have some questions and I ask that only ones with decent knowlage of the game reply.

First of all, how do you raise agility? Ive tryed many different things and nothing seems to work 100% of the time.

Next, I hear alot of people (and walkthroughs) saying that you should equipt Maria with a cane, though if you compare the canes stats to those of spears, swords and axes they are inferior. Is there something about the canes that enhances magick or something?

3rd, Ive heard the barehanded fighting can be more powerful that using weapons, is this true? (assuming the levels are the same that is).

Why is Gordon such a loser?

What determines the amount of cash you recieve after battle? And is there any easy way or special place to get lots of money?

Should I even bother trying to raise int and soul on a character who will rarely use magick, namely Guy?

OK thats all I have to ask for now. FF2 Guru's, Share your wisdom

Sefie1999AD
07-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Okay, I'll try to answer the questions as well as I can:

1) I think Agility determines how early you can attack during a turn. Equipping fast weapons and using them should help. Not sure if shields help with Agility.

2) I always switch the character equipment completely just for the heck of it, so I always have Maria with a shield and a sword, Frionel with fists and Guy with a bow. Anyway, I don't know the point of having a cane/staff other than the fact that there's a heal staff, and if you attack your own party with that, you can heal your guys for free.

3) Yes, that is very true. My Frionel with fists is an absolute killing machine. The fists have the advantage that they somewhat ignore enemy armor, so fists are pretty much the only weapon hurts very strong enemies, such as Adamantites (normally weak to only Ice).

4) Story-wise or in battles? If it's about story, I think he'll get braver later. If it's about his battle stats, he wasn't that weak for me. I was able to make him a strong character very quickly.

5) The amount of money you get from battles is totally random. To get loads of money, fight mages that drop spell scrolls such as Berserk Scroll, Blind Scroll etc and sell them for big loads of gil.

6) Not really, because trying to make a jack of all trades will leave your stats overall weak. If Guy is your fighter, you should try to keep him only as a fighter character, and almost always use nothing but the Attack command.

Finally, I'm not an FF2 guru. :p I don't think there are many of those around, although Nemesis the Warlock and DJzen seem to know quite a lot about the game.

BBman108
07-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks, that was very informative

BTW ther gordon question was a joke :).He actualy starts with just about all his stats at 20 so hes not to bad, though i hate myself for wasting 4 hours bringing him up to par with the other characters in the party. :(

Marak
07-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I'll give it a go as well:

1) No clue. The only thing I can tell you about Agility is that is seems to go up when I use a lot of physcial/weapon attacks in a battle.

2) Hmm. Well, some canes cast spells when used as items in battle, so if Maria is a Mage for you (most people - myself included) turn her into a Mage of some sort), you could give her a Cane for some extra spell-age, but I don't see why that would have to be her primary weapon or anything.

3) Yes. Fists + high Str = pwned. Seriously. High level Fists can deal some serious pain, especially if you go for 2-Fisted Action (i.e. no shield, unarmed for BOTH arms).

4) Every game has to have a total loser.

5) This is unproven, but in MY experience, the fewer attacks it takes to end a battle, the more Gil you get. Try fighting a group of wuss monsters, like Goblins or Hornets, and kill them one by one with physical attacks. You get, say, 6 Gil. If you fry them all at once with a single spell, you can get up to 60 (!) Gil. It's really weird.

6) I'd say no. Pick an archetype for each character and focus on their strengths. An entire Party of Red Mage wannabe's is bad, mm-kay?

DJZen
07-11-2004, 04:15 AM
You know, they actually covered this in the manual. To raise agi get targetted by physical attacks. For some odd reason or another, equipping shields helps. For extra cheap agi raising madness, equip one shield in each hand.

As far as general stat rising tips, it's true. Focus on an archetype. Every attribute negates another. For example, raising strength lowers intelligence. There are some fun loop holes to this though. You can create a Paladin type of character (fighter + white mage) for example. You CAN create a red mage, but they'll be crippled (as all red mages should be). Do NOT raise a stat you do not intend a character to use. It's a waste of time, and slows down the raising of stats you plan on using.

BBman108
07-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Wait so gil is COMPLETELY RANDOM? So i could kill the easiest random monster and get a ton then kill the toughest and get like 1?

DJZen
07-11-2004, 06:53 AM
I don't think it's completely random. I suspect that there's a range or something like that.

Martyr
07-11-2004, 06:58 AM
I only played it on a rom a long time ago...

Whatever the gil is, random or not....
Let me rethink what I'm going to say.
I think that you can wander into nasty territory easily and get killed immediately by monsters like Wizards and Soldiers. (I'm sort of guessing on the names). Ogres too. But, the Ogres are fairly killable, even for a group of weaker characters. Ogres seem to give lots of Gil and they drop mithril, which is awesome if you're risking your wak warrior neck to kill ogres for it.

And you shouldn't bother raising soul for a killer who will just lose it eventually. Generally. Like somebody said, there are methods of doing this, but it's always got the Red Mage syndrome.

Edit: You may be past the point where you'd be in awe of ogres by now.

BBman108
07-12-2004, 05:47 AM
So best way to make gil is from drops? Well does anyone know where i can find a beastiary for ff2? Or atleast a list of what drops what

Sefie1999AD
07-12-2004, 11:06 AM
So best way to make gil is from drops? Well does anyone know where i can find a beastiary for ff2? Or atleast a list of what drops what

Go to the fields northwest of Phin (Fynn in Origins). You'll fight Ogres, Wizard Ogres, Wizards, LandTurtles and a couple of other tough-early-in-the-game-but-not-impossible foes there. They usually give you quite a lot of gil, and the Wizards have quite a good chance of dropping expensive scrolls.

Actually, getting gil isn't completely random. Each enemy has an amount of gil they can give. For example, a goblin can give you something like 6 gil, 25 gil, 50 gil and 100 gil, but it's totally random which amount it gives you out of those.