PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Unne=Cid????

Flashback007
07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
In every FF-game their is a Cid. Only in FF 1 not, but we do have a smartass there. Dr. Unne. Is it maybe possible that Dr. Unne is the very first Cid??

Oh, and if this topic already has been posted. I'm sorry for doing it again

Dr Unne
07-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Might've been an inspiration for the Cids, but who knows. It doesn't make much sense to project the name Cid back onto FF1.

TasteyPies
07-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Might've been an inspiration for the Cids, but who knows. It doesn't make much sense to project the name Cid back onto FF1.

Cid in every FF i can think of is middle-aged. Dr.Unne is an aspiring young scholar. Also there has never been a cid with red hair, right?

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Not that I recall...

Psychotic
07-12-2004, 11:25 PM
All the Cids except for the one in FFVIII have had something to do with airships or technology, and Dr Unne doesn't. So... no.

Baloki
07-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Dr. Cid Unne?

Its possible...

DJZen
07-13-2004, 12:24 AM
If he was Cid, his name would be Cid, but it's not. His name is Unne.

Martyr
07-13-2004, 01:57 AM
Maybe one of the Leifnish is named Cid, but... Well maybe he died a long time ago, sometime before the airship was buried under the desert. His restless soul, in the form of a giant Eye which fumes with toxic death majiks, is left in the dpeths of the Ice Cave, to guard the only device that can revive the flying ship of the Sky Warriors!

After all... Garland, apparently, managed to turn the Sky Warriors into bats, and he doesn't even know magic. (Talk about some bad will saves) Cid knew that the next batch of heroes better be able to dodge death. And so he waits for them. And even after his spirit is defeated, it will respawn again and again! Until, ultimately, Chaos is defeated and the world is restored to normal. Cid will live forever, and you shall meet doom!

It makes sense.
Except for the "you shall meet doom" part.

Note: I know that it may not necessarily have been Garland who transformed the damn Sky Warriors.

DJZen
07-13-2004, 06:31 AM
You mean the ice cave?

Erdrick Holmes
07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I can't be arsed to play FF1 anymore so can somebody tell me Dr Unne's role in FF1?

Martyr
07-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the Ice Cave. Typo.

Joel: Unne walks around melmond, relishing in his popularity. He acts all surprised when you don't know him.
Because he's such a cool guy, he will use a slab to translate the language of Leifin for you.

Bahamut2000X
07-13-2004, 10:34 PM
How do we know Cid isn't Unne's first name? I mean since when has anyone used the title Dr. and called the person by the first name?

And through out the game we only hear to him refered to as Dr. Unne, but never hear what his first name could be.

Martyr
07-14-2004, 12:44 AM
How do we know Cid isn't Unne's first name? I mean since when has anyone used the title Dr. and called the person by the first name?

And through out the game we only hear to him refered to as Dr. Unne, but never hear what his first name could be.

It could be Tim.

DJZen
07-14-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, he was Dr. Cid in FFTSW, and President Cid in FFVIII, right? If he was Cid, they'd just identify him as such I think.

Martyr
07-14-2004, 04:41 AM
I think that the crotchety geezer was way ahead of us when he said:

It doesn't make much sense to project the name Cid back onto FF1.

Ya see... Dr. Unne isn't Cid.
Maybe my theory is correct, and there was a character named Cid before. I really like my theory. I would feel a fanfic coming on, but I don't write those anymore. (Free material!)

But the truth is that Cid is not Dr. Unne.
Dr. Unne is Dr. Unne. Cid is Cid. Arylon the Dancer is Arylon the Dancer. And Astos will never be the Vampire.

DJZen
07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
I just name one of my party members Cid, that way FF1 has a Cid.

Dragonfire
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Well could Cid maybe of been lost or changed in translation? caus we all know how nintendo liked changing names of things in final fantasy games. especially with that tomb in elfland.

Martyr
07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
That would be an interesting point if not for the big question, "Where the hell else has anybody heard of an Unne?"

Why can't we just be happy with the fact that FF1 is original and cool and it's own game, and that it doesn't have to fall into the Final Fantasy stereotypical genre that has devoured the rest of the series during that greedy metamorphosis into video game pop.

desh
07-15-2004, 09:59 PM
what was changed on the tomb in elfland?

black orb
07-15-2004, 10:28 PM
That would be an interesting point if not for the big question, "Where the hell else has anybody heard of an Unne?"
>>> A unne refernce in FF9 "Dr. Unnes Hand Mirror"

Martyr
07-15-2004, 11:23 PM
>>> A unne refernce in FF9 "Dr. Unnes Hand Mirror"

FF1 came before FF9. Therefore, it is inexplicable for how FF9 could have influenced FF1. Now, it's possible that Dr. Unnes was influenced, conceptually, by FF1. But, unfortunately, it is utterly beside the point.

And, apparently, there is some version of FF1 where the Elfland grave says RIP Link instead of RIP Erdrick.

desh
07-16-2004, 12:02 AM
And, apparently, there is some version of FF1 where the Elfland grave says RIP Link instead of RIP Erdrick.

Right, it does say RIP Link in the PSone Origins version; I guess I was interpreting Dragonfire as saying that the name on the tomb was changed through the translation. So was there a different name on the tomb in Elfland in either the WSC version or possibly the FF1 japan version.

Dragonfire
07-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I forgot, there also an Unne in FF3.

Del Murder
07-17-2004, 06:43 AM
I think Dr Unne is actually JENOVA.

Flashback007
07-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah, and Garland is Sephiroth leaving the four Fiends to be the Turks and Astos is Rufus.........euhm.........I think I will be with the translation mistake.

TasteyPies
07-17-2004, 10:11 PM
IMHO Dr.Unne was the inspration for the cids.

Flashback007
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
That could be it