PDA

View Full Version : The Forbidden Facial Hair

Garland
07-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure where this topic should go. It's not serious, so I thought EOEO was out, and while granted, WWII is contained in its text, a moustache is hardly World Events material. Anyway -

One of the more trivial consequenses of WWII is that the style of moustache worn by Charlie Chaplin, Hardy, of the Laurel and Hardy comedy acting duo, and unfortunately, Adolf Hitler can never be worn again. Will this moustache ever be worn again? I have no interest in said moustache myself, but I find it odd that of all the symbols of the evil of the Third Reich, a style of facial hair is contained among them. Noone remembers that two of the three famous moustache-bearers were admired comedians that brought joy to the world. We only remember the one bad apple. I don't know where this is going, but I think there's somewhat of a topic in here. What do you all think?

Jebus
07-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I remeber Chaplin, and I feel the same way you do. Everyone always associates the symbols with the Nazis. Its not just the moustache. The swastika, which was a symbol for unity. And the salute, which was a Roman honorific. Its rather sad, and, in some cases, stems from a poorer education for the people who don't recognize the symbols as what they used to be and not what Hitler turned them into.

Rainecloud
07-13-2004, 07:25 AM
...Hardy, of the Laurel and Hardy comedy acting duo...

In an episode shortly after WWII, Laurel accidentally shaved off Hardy's moustache in an amusing skit. At least they made something out of the style change, eh? In answer to your topic, yes, it's a shame that this had to happen. But, people in this world automatically associate the little black tache with Hitler, regardless of who else sported the style at the time. It's a stereotype gone wrong, I think.