PDA

View Full Version : No, THAT's an RPG, idiot!

SomethingBig
07-13-2004, 07:29 PM
There are so many different classifications of the RPG genre that so many things can be mistaken for being an RPG and vice versa. There are Strategy-RPGs, Action-RPGs, Adventure RPGs, and even more that I don't feel like naming.

I define RPG as a game where you play as a character and see him grow throughout the game. But some RPGs contradict my definition, such as Zelda, which some can argue is an RPG, but some can argue that it isn't.

My questions are: What is an RPG and how do you define it? Are there RPGs out there that you think shouldn't be considered RPGs and vice versa?

Rase
07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
RPG = Role Playing Game.

'Nuff said.

SomethingBig
07-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Then you could say that almost every game now with that definition is an RPG?

TasteyPies
07-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Yes you could, Call of duty could be a role playing game because you see your charicter rising through the ranks and gaining the trust and respect of his fellow soldiers, growing as an individual. You play the role of that charicter. So I guess its a 1st person shooter-RPG :D

Rase
07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Then you could say that almost every game now with that definition is an RPG?

Yep.

Zifnab
07-13-2004, 07:46 PM
I think it's hard to class an RPG. Things tend to just feel like an RPG. To me it's the whole swords, sorcery and adventure side of games that make me class it as an RPG. That's why I would class Zelda as an RPG, or any other game similar to it.

SomethingBig
07-13-2004, 07:48 PM
The RPG that I grew up and fell in love with was the game with the battle screens and EXP. There must be more to its meaning!

Ouch!
07-13-2004, 08:05 PM
I generally agree with SomethingBig. To me an RPG involves the growth of character not specifically plot wise, but having some system along the lines of using levels or some other form of it that allows the characters to grow and gain new abilities an' such.

I generally don't agree with the terms like Action-RPG or Adventure-RPG. Personally, I think those two are usually the same. I'd define Zelda as hack'n'slash action/adventure. Link gets new items'n'such, but it's not the same as gaining a level and getting a new ability.

aeris2001x2
07-13-2004, 08:25 PM
imho a true rpg must have a level of turn based combat. it cant have full real time combat...so i dont consider zelda a true rpg.

but yeah in terms of the actual definition, EVERY game u play a role is an rpg...which means 98% of all games r rpgs.

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2004, 08:31 PM
imho a true rpg must have a level of turn based combat. it cant have full real time combat...so i dont consider zelda a true rpg.

Agreed. If an RPG lacks the turn based system, then it's not a TRUE RPG (that's my opinion).

omnitarian
07-13-2004, 09:51 PM
The fact that people can't figure this out perplexes me every day.

An RPG is a game where the controlled character(s) augment their abilities through the collecting and trading of points.

In other words, an RPG is experience points and level ups. Action RPGs (RPGs without turn-based combat) and Strategy RPGs (RPGs where multiple characters are directed around a playing field) are still RPGs because they have some sort of experience/level system.

People use a lot of seemingly arbitrary mainstays to define RPGs.* Most of these have simple counter-examples. Just to touch a few:

Turn based combat: Your choice of Action/RPG or RTS/RPG. Saying that those are not 'real' RPGs is just plain wacky. What category is a 'real' action game? Are Hack n' Slashes and Beat 'em Ups the wannabees, and Shooters the prime example? Or is it some other combination?

Equipment: Pokemon R/B/Y would be a counter-example. If you hacked the game and locked out the equipment screen, would you have changed the game genre? Big stretch there.

Numerically displayed 'stats': Technically, every 'stat' in every game is defined by a number. How and if the game displays this info is meaningless. People say that Zelda is an RPG because Hearts are like HP. I say to myself, "In Super Mario, Mario had 1 HP when he was small and 2 if he was big."

Role-Play: An RPG is a game where you play a role? That means just about every game except Tetris is an RPG**. Pacman is an RPG? Gimme a break. The reason we call video game RPGs Role Playing Games is because they were developed to be similar to tabletop RPGs, where real role-playing was generally the norm. The name stuck, and now some people take it at face value.

Character Development: Character development ability-wise, not story-wise. This is an important one because many people think Development and Levelling are the same. There's a big difference between collecting a hammer in Zelda and finally reaching level whatever in Final Fantasy. There was no collecting or trading in Zelda, you just sorta got it. The two are inevitably intertwined, however. The Megaman Battle Networks and Crystal Chronicles are two examples of 'controversial' RPGs. Yes, the characters got stronger over time, but was there experience points afoot? No need to discuss it right now. The interesting part about these games is why some people don't count them as RPGs. They say, "where's the experience points?". It really makes ya think. *nudge nudge*

Moving on, I still don't get why people call Zelda an RPG, but Metroid's genre is set in stone. What's the difference in gameplay mechanics? In Zelda, you can talk to people. That makes it an RPG? Pah.

That's all for now. [/rant]

* A lot of these weren't brought up in this thread yet, but I'm putting them here to prove a point, and for future's sake.
** Come to think of it, you did get to choose between a couple of robots in that so-so spinoff game Tetrisphere...

Trumpet Thief
07-13-2004, 10:16 PM
The fact that people can't figure this out perplexes me every day.

An RPG is a game where the controlled character(s) augment their abilities through the collecting and trading of points.

In other words, an RPG is experience points and level ups. Action RPGs (RPGs without turn-based combat) and Strategy RPGs (RPGs where multiple characters are directed around a playing field) are still RPGs because they have some sort of experience/level system.

People use a lot of seemingly arbitrary mainstays to define RPGs.* Most of these have simple counter-examples. Just to touch a few:

Turn based combat: Your choice of Action/RPG or RTS/RPG. Saying that those are not 'real' RPGs is just plain wacky. What category is a 'real' action game? Are Hack n' Slashes and Beat 'em Ups the wannabees, and Shooters the prime example? Or is it some other combination?

Equipment: Pokemon R/B/Y would be a counter-example. If you hacked the game and locked out the equipment screen, would you have changed the game genre? Big stretch there.

Numerically displayed 'stats': Technically, every 'stat' in every game is defined by a number. How and if the game displays this info is meaningless. People say that Zelda is an RPG because Hearts are like HP. I say to myself, "In Super Mario, Mario had 1 HP when he was small and 2 if he was big."

Role-Play: An RPG is a game where you play a role? That means just about every game except Tetris is an RPG**. Pacman is an RPG? Gimme a break. The reason we call video game RPGs Role Playing Games is because they were developed to be similar to tabletop RPGs, where real role-playing was generally the norm. The name stuck, and now some people take it at face value.

Character Development: Character development ability-wise, not story-wise. This is an important one because many people think Development and Levelling are the same. There's a big difference between collecting a hammer in Zelda and finally reaching level whatever in Final Fantasy. There was no collecting or trading in Zelda, you just sorta got it. The two are inevitably intertwined, however. The Megaman Battle Networks and Crystal Chronicles are two examples of 'controversial' RPGs. Yes, the characters got stronger over time, but was there experience points afoot? No need to discuss it right now. The interesting part about these games is why some people don't count them as RPGs. They say, "where's the experience points?". It really makes ya think. *nudge nudge*

Moving on, I still don't get why people call Zelda an RPG, but Metroid's genre is set in stone. What's the difference in gameplay mechanics? In Zelda, you can talk to people. That makes it an RPG? Pah.

That's all for now. [/rant]

* A lot of these weren't brought up in this thread yet, but I'm putting them here to prove a point, and for future's sake.
** Come to think of it, you did get to choose between a couple of robots in that so-so spinoff game Tetrisphere...

I agree with everything you have said about what an RPG is.

Rainecloud
07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Anything that has a big sword, a reclusive male hero, a gullible princess and a medallion/talisman of some sort is an RPG in my book. You don't need all these fancy definitions - all you need is a treasure chest and a few goblins.

PhoenixAsh
07-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Okay I'll give Spider-Man 2 as an RPG example, and see if people agree or not.

It's free roaming, you choose what your character is going to do and how he will progress.

It has a plot in which you interact with other characters, and see Spider-Man grow. You fight bosses, and build up to fight an tough 'end' boss before a pretty FMV.

You gain points with which you can build up your character's abilities, and develop at least one of his stats. You can gain these points in a variety of ways including fighting enemies.

You can talk to people.

You can explore looking for new locations, secrets and side quests.

There could be more but I can't think right now.

Del Murder
07-14-2004, 01:29 AM
To me an RPG is any game that has battles in which you tell your characters what to do by selecting options from a menu.