PDA

View Full Version : Sony to unveil new Playstation in May.

Rase
07-14-2004, 03:29 AM
Here you go. (http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=2&aid=713060545_5311_lead_story)

EDIT: Due to the fact that some people can't read, this is about the PS3, not PSP. I know it mentions the PSP in the article, but I can't change that, so...

Erdrick Holmes
07-14-2004, 03:40 AM
I like what was being displayed on the PSP's screen. CAPCOM FIGHTERS 4 LYF.

RSL
07-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Maybe they'll finally make something that doesn't break or stop working properly.

Then again, probably not.

Trumpet Thief
07-14-2004, 04:25 AM
I don't really know what they could add to the new PSP that would make it differ from the PS2... besides better games, and what RSL said.

Dingo Jellybean
07-14-2004, 05:16 AM
Oh God, that's Darkstalkers 3 on the PSP. *melts*

I WANT THIS PSP NOW.

black orb
07-14-2004, 05:23 AM
:eek:
>>> That thing is totally ugly but the games and graphics look sweet..

Leeza
07-14-2004, 06:22 AM
I think I like it. :)

Erdrick Holmes
07-14-2004, 06:28 AM
They better release a few new Capcom fighters on it or I will not buy it.

Germ Hamee
07-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Eh. I think I'll pass on this one. For some reason I prefer to keep my big bad 3D graphics and stereo speakers and internet capabilities in the living room with a couch and pillows. Maybe I just enjoy the way GBA satisfies my nostalgia a little too much. I guess I'm old fashioned...

Hurrah for technological advancement, though. :rolleyes2

Maxico
07-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I want a PSP purely for the medievil remake/whatever.

square_is_the_best
07-15-2004, 12:32 AM
LCD widescreen....wireless internet...*drool*...

The Shoeless Hobo
07-16-2004, 03:51 AM
Old news.

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 03:59 AM
I'm getting the Nintendo DS instead of the PSP. 2 screens? One of 'em being a touch screen? Hoo boy.

metCloud
07-16-2004, 04:00 AM
I believe this thread is about the new Playstation console, not the PSP :rolleyes2 . Anywho, Im sure it will be very cool and I will get it eventually so all is good....Sure cant wait to see it though.

Agent Proto
07-16-2004, 04:55 AM
Please don't make me call the mods on you. :)

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=46521

Yamaneko
07-16-2004, 05:48 AM
I'll leave this open since it's about the PS3, and not the PSP. :)

Rase
07-16-2004, 05:51 AM
What does a thread comparing the PSP to the DS have to do with a thread about Sony's new home console?

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Whoops. Sorry. People were talking about the PSP, so I thought what I posted was all right, at the time.

As for the PS3, I'm more interested in how much more advanced the graphics will be. I can't imagine how much more realistic the games will be.

Sephex
07-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Man, I remember when I was a kid it took forever for the next generation console to come out. I must be getting older (thus, perception of time moves faster) because now it seems the next gen stuff is coming along too fast.

Anyway, I am not making any judgements on the PS3, or any next gen harware. Why? It's still to early. I need to see screen shots and specs. That and the first wave of PS3s will probably break down if you dare play their games on it anyway.

square_is_the_best
07-17-2004, 04:25 PM
This is about PS3? Ohhhh...

I want that too. But not until the price drops $100 to $150. I bought my PS2 for $300 dollars. It was the SCPH-30001 R model which has problems with CD games beyond words. Thats why I'm gonna wait.

Carnage
07-18-2004, 03:09 AM
i hope psp comes out with some original games not just like gameboy. mario advance, metroid advance, and so on.

Rase
07-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Please direct any PSP related posts to the thread the Agent Proto provided in his link.

Psychotic
07-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I can't wait for the PS3 to own Nintendo again, just like the PS owned the N64 and PS2 owned the GC (this is in terms of sales). Hopefully it'll see Nintendo doing a Sega after the Dreamcast. Why do I want this to happen? I can't stand Nintendo fanboys. I know Sony fanboys suck too, but bleh, the way the Nintendo ones were during that Game FAQs character tournament, it should knock their egos down a peg or two.

But I won't get the PS3 for about a year after it's released so the price is down :p

Cz
07-18-2004, 04:07 PM
I can't wait for the PS3 to own Nintendo again, just like the PS owned the N64 and PS2 owned the GC (this is in terms of sales). Hopefully it'll see Nintendo doing a Sega after the Dreamcast. Why do I want this to happen? I can't stand Nintendo fanboys. I know Sony fanboys suck too, but bleh, the way the Nintendo ones were during that Game FAQs character tournament, it should knock their egos down a peg or two.

Not every Nintendo owner is a rampant fanboy, and those that are aren't any worse than Sony or Microsoft fanboys. You should see the Killzone boards.

Female Ryuichi
07-18-2004, 05:05 PM

But I won't get the PS3 for about a year after it's released so the price is down :p

If you're going to discriminant, hate everyone equally.

Stop being so mean to Nintendo ;_;. Not all of us are idiots, just like not all Sony fanboys are as cool as you Psy-psy.

metCloud
07-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I would hate to see Nintendo go under! Gamecube is my least favorite system right now but I like veriety in my gaming. I would really hate it if Sony owned the whole market. I will probobly get the PS3 first then get kinda bored and get the new Nintendo console anyway but Im starting to doubt that I will buy the next Xbox. My Xbox doesnt seem to get played much anymore. Does anyone know if the thing is gonna be called PS3? Maybe Sony will pull somthing and name it like...well...something else.

Rase
07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Nope, none of the companies have released the real names of thier console. [OFF TOPIC] Nintendo isn't even sure if DS willl be the final name for thier new handheld.[/OFF TOPIC]

Cz
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Nintendo has moved one step closer to the final name for their N5, now to be called 'Revolution' but it's still preliminary, and could change at any time.

SomethingBig
07-18-2004, 09:49 PM
The new Nintendo console is supposed to come out before the new Microsoft and Playstation consoles, so Nintendo has a good chance of coming out on top, just like the Playstation and the Playstation 2 did. Seeing as how great the new games for the Gamecube are, as of now, I'm not having any doubts on the games for the new Nintendo console.

Cz
07-18-2004, 09:50 PM
The new Nintendo console is supposed to come out before the new Microsoft and Playstation consoles, so Nintendo has a good chance of coming out on top, just like the Playstation and the Playstation 2 did.

Don't forget the Dreamcast. :rolleyes2

SomethingBig
07-18-2004, 10:14 PM
*Leaves a rose on Sega's grave*

The difference is that Nintendo has been pumping out great games here and there and if they do that as soon as the new console comes out, then Nintendo should be fine.

Rase
07-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Quick, off topic note: It has been confirmed that the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatable with the GCN. w00t!

metCloud
07-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Quick, off topic note: It has been confirmed that the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatable with the GCN. w00t!

That awsome news man, I didnt know that! :hyper: :rock:

Dr Unne
07-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Announcer: "Krusty the Klown" is brought to you by the new Gamestation 256: It's slightly faster ... to the max!

Bart: [watching on TV] 256? [groan] And I'm stuck with this useless 252? [he drop-kicks the system into the fireplace, where it slowly melts]

252: Don't destroy me! I can still make you happy ... to the max!

The Shoeless Hobo
07-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Nope, none of the companies have released the real names of thier console.

No, but Nintendo has released the "codename" of their next console (The one after the GameCube). Just like the GCN was codenamed the Dolphin, the next Nintendo console shall be codenamed the "Revolution."

Maxico
07-19-2004, 04:53 PM
the next Nintendo console shall be codenamed the "Revolution."

Rest in peace nintendo.

Psychotic
07-19-2004, 06:17 PM
The PlayStation is too...settled-in for Nintendo to take a hold over it. Besides, The XBox overtook the GC in terms of sales (Except in Japan) anyway, pushing the GC into third place.

The thing is, the general public (well, outside of Japan) don't want games like Zelda. They want things like GTA. Even if Zelda is better than GTA (Which I don't believe, but some might), it's sales that matter. Nintendo just doesn't have the "cool" image of Sony. What's cooler, going around as some elf on a talking boat, or blowing someone's head off with a shotgun and then stealing their car?

Without a good image, Nintendo won't sell. If you don't sell software, you don't make money, and if you don't make money, it doesn't matter how good your games are. You're finished.

Cz
07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
The PlayStation is too...settled-in for Nintendo to take a hold over it. Besides, The XBox overtook the GC in terms of sales (Except in Japan) anyway, pushing the GC into third place.

Yes, but the GC continued to shift a fairly good number of units in all territories. Last year in Japan, Nintendo and Sony sold thousands of consoles a day. X-Box often struggled to break into double figures. Whereas Gamecube sold poorly is the US, the X-Box was an outright failure in Japan.

Anyway, last month in Europe, the Nintendo Gamecube had a 32 percent market share. When you consider Sony's current domination of the gaming market, that's not too shabby, and certainly higher than the X-Box. If you include Nintendo's massive earnings from its handhelds, it doesn't look like they'll be in financial trouble any time soon.

Psychotic
07-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, but the GC continued to shift a fairly good number of units in all territories. Last year in Japan, Nintendo and Sony sold thousands of consoles a day. X-Box often struggled to break into double figures. Whereas Gamecube sold poorly is the US, the X-Box was an outright failure in Japan.

Yeah, it really was a failure in Japan, but I suppose that is because it's not a Japanese company, and the Japanese didn't take very well to that, especially as Nintendo and Sony had been established in Japan for many years. As well as the fact that the XBox is seen as a serious console, with no "novelty" games. Still, what I found amusing was Microsoft's "Secret XBox booths" in Japan, where Japanese people could sample the XBox without the shame of friends or family seeing them.

Anyway, last month in Europe, the Nintendo Gamecube had a 32 percent market share. When you consider Sony's current domination of the gaming market, that's not too shabby, and certainly higher than the X-Box. If you include Nintendo's massive earnings from its handhelds, it doesn't look like they'll be in financial trouble any time soon.

Well, we all know Nintendo did drop the price of the GC substantially, and plus some retaillers, like Argos for example, dropped them without Nintendo's backing, which boosted sales nonetheless.

SomethingBig
07-19-2004, 10:49 PM
*Sigh* I'll cry if Nintendo resorts to creating games like GTA, unless they're actually worth playing.

square_is_the_best
07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah Nintendos got the classics. Mario, Metroid, and Mario Kart. And thats just a few that start with M. Zelda kicks ass. Better than GTA. If sailing on a talking ship isn't your thing why not try your hand at sword stabbing? I get more joy from killing my foes with a sword than with a sniper rifle.

SomethingBig
07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Yeah Nintendos got the classics. Mario, Metroid, and Mario Kart. And thats just a few that start with M. Zelda kicks ass. Better than GTA. If sailing on a talking ship isn't your thing why not try your hand at sword stabbing? I get more joy from killing my foes with a sword than with a sniper rifle.

Tru' dat. I don't understand what people like about GTA. The games are exactly the same.

Psychotic
07-20-2004, 12:01 AM

But do they sell as well as GTA? The answer is no. In reality, it doesn't matter how good a game is to a developer/publisher, just as long as it sells well. Without the sales, they're done for.

square_is_the_best
07-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Close enough to keep Nintendo from releasing remakes like the GTA series.

SomethingBig
07-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Nintendo should start naming Mario games Hero of Princess-Raping Dragon and Zelda games Killer Elf: Link: Killer of Time and Seller of Death.

Chzn8r
07-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Zelda games (esp. The Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past, Ocaraina of Time, and Windwaker) have all sold amazingly well- OOT has sold about 8 million copies. Nintendo will keep making Zelda because A: The fans love it, B: It's one of Nintendo's best-selling series, and C: They can :p
And, no Zelda games have been clones, I believe any Zelda fan can testify to that. The most similar things were the two Oracle games, but that was like Pokemon R/B (they're supposed to be alike).

SomethingBig
07-20-2004, 03:11 AM
I wasn't making fun of the Zelda games. I enjoy playing them a lot. I was just saying that if the Zelda games had names that appealed to today's society, it would sell more. That's why GTA sells so well. The name screams, "STEAL COOL LOOKIN' CARS WHILE SHOOTING PEOPLE! THAT'S ALL THIS GAME IS!" And, not ironically, that is how it is.

Chzn8r
07-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I know you weren't Somethingbig, I read you defending them ;) I was just making my point for that other person to read ;)
And yes, I feel the same way about the GTA games.

Dingo Jellybean
07-22-2004, 12:31 AM
I know you weren't Somethingbig,

I just had to quote that. :P

Anyways, about the PS3...it'll be a hit like the PS2. Not only will it be backwards compatible with the PSX/PS2, it'll run Blu-Ray Discs, discs that hold 10x the space of DVDs. So imagine practically having an entire season on one disc of your favorite show.

It'll be pretty expensive, but I'll wait a few years for the price of the PS3 to drop.

However, I'm only getting the PS3 based on the games(including the backwards compatibility) and the features that it'll have. However, I always liked the mini discs that the Gamecube uses...too bad it comes with an oversized box...which pretty much destroys one of the purposes of a mini-disc.

Chzn8r
07-22-2004, 03:38 AM
However, I always liked the mini discs that the Gamecube uses...too bad it comes with an oversized box...which pretty much destroys one of the purposes of a mini-disc.

Yeah, but they're standard cases... everything works nice with those, you have enough space for cover art and then all the info on the back, and you can have a decent sized instruction manual. Plus there's the slot in there for the memory card, which utilizes some more of the space.