PDA

View Full Version : FF4 is the BEST 2D final fantasy game ever!

Danny
07-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Final Fantasy 4 is the best! Best characters, best Cid(other than T.G. Cid of course), best summons!But why does Cecil become a loser Paladin? He was so sweet with his dark sword. Screw the world saving, just stay cool lookingDark Knight Cecil and Dragoon Kain are way better than Sephiroth

Martyr
07-15-2004, 03:50 AM
By 2D, what do you mean? Does this exclude 6?

I found FF4 to be cheesy. It was about as good as FF1, except it should have been ten times better given all the options for inventing cool characters and plots etc... 4 is one of the worst simply because it lacked so much. It could've been so much better. It's like an imperfect work that was rushed to the market. Good, but not good enough.

I like FF2 better than 4.

6/1/5/2/3/4

Edit: Oh, wait... Rydia is cool. Really cool. Cooler than anybody else in any FF game. I can't even begin to describe why I think she's so cool... But she has gren hair, she grew up with monsters, she summons AND casts black magic. And she's been a warrior since, like, 4 years old.
But FF4 still doesn't rate. Rydia and Terra should switch. Or maybe FF6 should get RYdia and 4 can get... I dunno... Setzer.

Trumpet Thief
07-15-2004, 03:57 AM
I loved FFIV, but I thought it was inferior to FFVI. I agree with what you said about Cecil. He was good just the way he was. But I think Kain was way cooler. I also think Rosa was too much of a wimp. And it was kind of creepy how Cecil and Rosa got married

Rase
07-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Final Fantasy 4 is the best! Best characters, best Cid(other than T.G. Cid of course), best summons!.....Dark Knight Cecil and Dragoon Kain are way better than Sephiroth

*completly agrees*

aeris2001x2
07-15-2004, 04:09 PM
i personally prefer ffV but there is not much in it. these snes classics are more or less equal in genius. however ffVI is imho is truely the best 2d rpg and second best rpg ever. these snes ones all tower over the nes ones (espicalry the awful ffII)

Storm
07-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Final Fantasy 4 is the best! Best characters
Agreed.

Best Cid(other than T.G. Cid of course), best summons
I think the best Cid is in Final Fantasy VII, hands down. The FFIV Cid is second best.

I don't see how this specific game has the best summons. Nearly every Final Fantasy reuses the summons in FFIV.

But why does Cecil become a loser Paladin? He was so sweet with his dark sword. Screw the world saving, just stay cool looking. Dark Knight Cecil and Dragoon Kain are way better than Sephiroth
The Dark Knight and Dragoon Knight looked too similar. It was a great thing that Cecil became a Paladin. Besides, Golbez already took the cake for being the coolest looking character in FFIV.

Please try to mark your spoilers in the future.

Sephex
07-16-2004, 05:41 AM
Well, I will admit I am biased on this subject because FFIV is my favorite game of all time. I am one of the few people that liked the Dark Knight to Paladin transformation. It is still one of my favorite moments in FF history.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-16-2004, 08:33 AM
FFVI was far superior to IV, but IV was still pretty good.

And as far as best summons, the only summon unique to FFIV was Mist, and I don't think that constitutes the "best".

Takara
07-16-2004, 08:36 AM
I prefer Paladin Cecil. He grows so much more as a character after his transformation, not to mention he's much more powerful.

Even if he looked cool as a Dark Knight, if he had remained one, he could not have beaten some of the more difficult bosses with the power of Darkness.

As the Elder of Mysidia said, you can't fight darkness with darkness. :nonono:

nik0tine
07-16-2004, 09:52 AM
6 was way better than 4, but that isnt to say that FF4 wasnt one of the greatest games ever made.

Storm
07-16-2004, 05:07 PM
6 was way better than 4, but that isnt to say that FF4 wasnt one of the greatest games ever made.

I think FFVI could have been better than FFIV if the World of Ruin wasn't such a let down. I've never been a big fan of doing sidequests, and that's what most of the World of Ruin involved. The World of Balance was perfect in terms of plot.

Takara
07-17-2004, 06:21 AM
I think FFVI could have been better than FFIV if the World of Ruin wasn't such a let down. I've never been a big fan of doing sidequests, and that's what most of the World of Ruin involved. The World of Balance was perfect in terms of plot.

Agreed. FFVI is a great game, but plot-wise, the WOR sucks. It's only "find the others, do sidequests, beat the crap out of Kekfa".

Del Murder
07-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Cecil is better as Paladin because light is better than dark.

This game is great but not the best.

BBman108
07-17-2004, 10:39 PM

Wait how can you like final fantasy games if you dont like sidequests. The best parts of the final fantasy games come from the sidequests. Would FF1 have been as cool without Xcalibur? No. Would FF2 have been as cool without the uber-bosses? No. Would FF4 have been as cool without the secret summons? Heck no. Would FF5 have been as cool without having to unlock the 12 weapons? Never. Would FF6 have been as cool if you started the WoR with the all of the party and owning the airship/uber items? Would FF7 be as cool without the chocobos and secret materia? FF10 without the celestial weapons? FFX2 without that crazy 70 level dungen? I submit that they would not. Ofcourse you're entitled to disagree with me, its not like my opinion matters. Why? Because Im a Red Mage fan.

Lord Chainsaw
07-18-2004, 03:27 AM
Hell yeah FFIV is the best 2D Final Fantasy. It's my second favorite of the Final Fantasies and easily my favorite 2D one (though not my favorite 2D RPG, that would be Breath of Fire 2)

It was fun. Levels had meaning to them. It was more adventurous than any other FF I'd ever played. Besides,
I absolutely love stories where the guy has to rescue the girl

Storm
07-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Wait how can you like final fantasy games if you dont like sidequests.

It just annoys me that the plot of the game will nearly be identical even if you complete the side quests. Side quests usually give a little bit more background information on a character or situation, but never any major plot twist. I usually get too impatient with the side quests, and then go finish the game. Afterwards, I just don't feel like doing them.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-18-2004, 08:30 AM
I absolutely love stories where the guy has to rescue the girl

Funny, that's minus points for me for being so incredibly cliched.

Outsider
07-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I remember that I loved FF4 because it was the first game I played that changed that "good vs. evil" storyline that I was so tired to see.

Cecil is a villain in the beggining of the game. He is a Dark Knight that plundered Mysidia, stole the Crystal Of Water, killed lots of inocent people... He is a villain that regrets his past, but he's still a villain.

Great game. Not as good as FF6, but still great.

Trumpet Thief
07-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Agreed, an excellent game; FFVI is just better.

Lord Chainsaw
07-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Funny, that's minus points for me for being so incredibly cliched.

You'd be hard pressed to find a good story or game without danger, or without something that needs to be saved. The love interest is no different from the world or whatever else needs saving.

Honestly that's as broad a statement as calling one of the four main types of conflict cliche.

Garland
07-21-2004, 06:10 AM
FFIV is the best SNES Final Fantasy. In fact, looking back on it now, the only fault I can find with it is that levelraising is all but useless untill the very end of the game. With characters coming and going, sometimes permanently, sometimes not, and characters that return coming back with preset levels, 99% of the levelraising you put into your team is a wasted effort.

-N-
07-21-2004, 06:40 AM
I am one of the few people that liked the Dark Knight to Paladin transformation. It is still one of my favorite moments in FF history.
I liked that part so much as well. But I'd have to say FFVI is better...

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-21-2004, 07:56 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find a good story or game without danger, or without something that needs to be saved. The love interest is no different from the world or whatever else needs saving.

Honestly that's as broad a statement as calling one of the four main types of conflict cliche.

I'm talking about the damsel in distress plotline.

Lord Chainsaw
07-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Very well, I can understand that. I myself prefer the villain to be so much more powerful that it wouldn't matter if the girl was a damsel in distress or a tough fighter. A very good example of this is Prince Diamond/Demando in the Sailor Moon R series.

Another good example of this plot done right is Lunar: SSSC, although it's a bit different from what I outlined.

Thornaxe Hammerstone
07-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah, ff4 pwns all. I first played it twelve years ago and I still play it at least four times a year. When I look at the game from an objective perspective, it quite frankly seems outclassed by other FF's in all the areas which keep me enthralled, like the summoning system (which is outdone by ff6), the storyline (which was interesting yet butchered in all of the versions that I've played) and the characters ( which are quite linear in progression with the exception of the lvl 70+ random stats of doom).

Why then, does this game draw me back over and over? Perhaps because it's the first RPG I ever played, only the DSM-IV will tell.