PDA

View Full Version : FFX, THe wizrd of Oz, and you (contains spoilers)

chu52
07-18-2004, 06:58 PM
How can this be? FFX is very similar to The wizard of Oz! But how? Well look at it this way:

Tidus (dorothy) is on a quest to a magical land where he/she can go home. Dorothy takes the Yellow brick Road while Tidus takes the linear summoner's path. Evuntaully he/she meets a dunce in need of a brain by the name of scarecrow/Wakka, also he/she meets a cowardly lion/or oucast Ronso, a good witch helps out/Yuna and Lulu, a strong tinman/drunk warrior helps out, until they get to oz/zanarkand where the great wirzard/summoner cannot do what they want which is destroy the wicked witch/sin and get what they need but she can do this....
so if looked at closely ffx is based on The Wizard of Oz..
(i'll be waiting for your flames)
Why yes i do have too much time too think, however did you find out?

metCloud
07-18-2004, 07:08 PM
No flames from me :hyper:

Thats pretty cool, I would have never thought of that on my own. Thats crazy how much alike they are. Im gona try and think of some more comparisins...cant think of any right now.

Trumpet Thief
07-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Wow, I never even thought of it that way.

kikimm
07-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh my god.....how stupid is that? I can't believe you would....

No, I'm just kidding. ;) I never realized that. clever on your part! there must be something more to this.... :shifty: Cool stuff.

:D

chu52
07-18-2004, 09:11 PM
FInally some people who will listen without debunking my theories right off the bat. I'm sure there are more similarities out there just keep looking, oh and has any one noticed that the sinspawn bird thingies look kinda like winged monkies? Or that sin causes a tornado of destruction ummm. destroying Tidus' home and transporting him to a new weird world. Seymour can be the wicked witch of the east considiring he dies pretty fast and still finds a way to cause havoc. Please someone help me find more, i could really use your help.

kikimm
07-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Maybe I should read the book over again. I read it when i was in, like, 5th grade, i think. 4 or 5 years ago, so not much has stayed with me. hmm....sorry, can't think of anything right now. i'll get back to ya on that ;)

chu52
07-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Rikku=toto, is lost at beginning small annoying, mayhap i should make a fan fic about this^^

bloodcoveredblade
07-20-2004, 11:00 PM
hehe

jarsthegooner
07-20-2004, 11:33 PM
keep em coming chu the similarities are uncanny

chu52
07-21-2004, 12:07 AM
I'll try, and when my fanfic is complete you people will be the first to know

Triple T
07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Nah... I don't see it. I believe FFX resembles more FFV.

chu52
07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Must resist urge to call close minded fool....., must resisest....., ttt has a right to say what he wants......, i guess....resisetence fadding....

soulICE
07-21-2004, 10:57 PM
makes me want to listen to pink floyd while im playing FFX :p

chu52
07-21-2004, 11:10 PM
heh, good point

-N-
07-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Nah... I don't see it. I believe FFX resembles more FFV.

square_is_the_best
07-22-2004, 02:40 AM
*insert flame about how you are disgracing FFX here*

Now that thats over. I want to tell you that you have too much time and that that's not a bad thing. Of course I've never even watched or read the wizard of Oz. Meh. Nice thinking. Another reason I'm happy that the EoFF regulars didn't scare you off.

-N-
07-22-2004, 02:42 AM
*insert flame about how you are disgracing FFX here*

Now that thats over. I want to tell you that you have too much time and that that's not a bad thing. Of course I've never even watched or read the wizard of Oz. Meh. Nice thinking. Another reason I'm happy that the EoFF regulars didn't scare you off.

Dude, that's totally not disgrace. Wizard of Oz kicks ass. Just like I'm about to kick yours. *punt* :D

metCloud
07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
If anything, I guess FFX disgraced The Wizard of Oz :D . Wizard of Oz is awsome :tongue:

square_is_the_best
07-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Maybe its just me but I don't like to associate other stuff with my videogames. When I play a game, especially a game of FFX's caliber, I don't like to think about what its LIKE. I become absrobed into the game. I AM the hero.

-N-
07-22-2004, 03:09 AM
All things bear similarities to other things in the end. Whether you choose to ignore them or not is up to you. Finding similarities and comparisons to other works that have been done also open up new perspectives on how you can perceive them as well. You can find links and still be absorbed into a story. :)

However, what you have stated does not justify your calling the comparison between the two a disgrace to FFX, I'm afraid. :D It does say you don't like it, however, and that's just fine. :D

I never actually addressed the topic itself. The association is interesting - are there any more details that line up?

square_is_the_best
07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
And if any of you haven't noticed, I haven't read or seen it. Did you people even read the rest of my post?

chu52
07-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Thats like asking if anyone cares about this thread, most who post do but not all.

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Chu is completely correct about it being like the Wizard of Oz, though, you have to admit. The whole yellow-brick road thing is the entire game of FFX in a sense that it is linear throughout.

chu52
07-23-2004, 03:33 AM
I beileve i have metioned that before somethingbig, but i do appreciate the positive ffeed back^^ I really need to start that fanfic though>.<

-N-
07-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Thats like asking if anyone cares about this thread, most who post do but not all.

kikimm
07-23-2004, 06:38 AM
what? of course we care......... :shifty:

chu52
07-24-2004, 03:42 AM
Fanfic!!!

The Wizard of Spira
A FFX fanfic by Chu52

One day our hero Tidus was going down to the blitzball tgame in his home town of Zanarkand when....

Random guy on street: Ahhhhh monster!!
Tidus: Whaaa?

As Tidus was questioning Sin came and caused a giant storm.

Tidus: Whag haggened?

As he looked around Tidus quickly realized he wasn’t in Zanarkand anymore. In fact he was in a little village surrounded by odd towns people.

Town guy: Our savior!!
Tidus: Hmmm?
Tg: You slayed the evil Witch of the East!

Tidus looks down and sees that his sword landed right on top of some guy with horrible blue hair! As he talks to the people figuring out what happened Yuna and Lulu come upon him.

Yuna: What has happened here?
Tg: Why this man fell from the sky and killed Seymour! He is truly a great warrior!
Tidus: Uhhhh, I really didn’t me to kill him, my sword, it, it just kinda, uhhh..
Lulu: Well its obvious.
Tidus: It is?
Y: Yes you have saved this land from that horrid beast!
L: Of course, now as a reward you may take his magical shoes.
T: That’s okay, they’re kinda ugly looking, and off a dead guy, I’ll just keep my yellow things.
Y: But please, as a reward...
T: Just tell me how I can get back to Zanarkand.
L: Zanarkand? Why I’ve never heard of that, maybe the Wizard of Spira knows!
Y: Of course she does, Yunalesca knows all!
T: So where is this Yanaleeza anyway?
L: Yunalesca is to the north, along the linear path.
Towns people: Yes, just follow the linear path, just follow the linear path, follow follow follow follow, follow the linear path....
As the people sang Tidus walks off to the forest in the north.

T:*whistleing the hymn of the fayth* Okay just follow the linear path. Okay.
Bushes: *rustle*
T:Hmmm
Rikku: *jumping out* now your wallet is mine! Hahahaha....ouch
T: *hitting her* Now don’t just run away like tha...

A horrible darkness comes and Rikku is snatched up by Sin!!

Sin: Haha, now I have your little annoyance!
T: Okay go ahead, you can have her, wait my wallet!!
S: Hahahaha *leaves*
T: Damn I had at least 2500 gil in that too, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.
Voice: Watch you’re language ya!
T: Hmmm?

Tidus looks about he has stumbled upon a beach where a man with badly done up orange hair is scolding him.
Ugly man: Hey I’m not talkin’ to air ya!
T: And just who are you?
Wakka: Why they call me Wakka, and who do you be ya?
T: I’m Tidus, do you need help?
W: Well I need to go see Yunalesca about getting a brain ya.
T: A brain?
W: Yep, a brain is what I need ya.
T: Well I’m going to see her about getting back t Zanarkand, why don’t you come along?
W: Kay, ya!

And so the heros continued along the linear path until they passed some village no one cares about and into yet another forrest.

Voice: Saaa keee.
W: what was that ya?
T: I don’t know.
V: I neeeedddd saaa keee.
W: I think thats him whose sayin that ya.

Wakka point to a man in a red coat leaning on his large sword.
Man: Saaa keee.
T: Hey mister need help?
M: I dropped my sake jug, I can’t reach it and I’ve been stuck like this for three days. If only I could get some then I could move again, but, ahhhh.

Tidus picks up the mans jug and gives him some of it.
M: Thats much better.
T: Just who are you anyway?
Auron: I am Auron, I need to see Yunalesca, for I don’t give a damn, I heard she can give me a damn.
W: Why don’t you come with us ya?
A: Hmmm, okay.
So the new group continues on they’re way to see the Wizard of Spira. Until they walk through the forest and hear..
Monster: Rowwwwwrrrrr!!!
W: What was that ya?
A: I’ve heard that these forest are full of Ronsos.
W: Rrraaannnssssoosss, yyyyaa?
A: and dingos
W: Dingos ya?
A: And sinspwan
W: Sinspawn ya?
All: Ronsos and dingos and sinspwan oh my! Ronsos and dingos and sinspwan oh my! Ronsos and dingos and sinspwan oh my!
A: Shut up.
Monster: Rowwwwwrrrrr!

A blue Ronso with no horn jumps out of the tees

A: I’ll take care of him!
T: But Auron you’re too drunk too fight!
A: Ahhh what do you know ya pansy?
M: You’re no scared?
T: Hmmm? Why he’s not that scary
Kihmari: I am Kihmari, I just need a horn, then I’ll show those other Ronsos then I will!
T: Why don’t you come with us? I’m sure Yunalesca can help you.

Well I’m sure you don’t want to hear about the two days of walking and singing so I’ll get to the part where Sin returns.
Up in Sin’s castle.
Sin: You Sinspawn go get me those fools?
Sinspawn: Uhhh sin? They kinda already are to Yunalesca.
Sin: But how?
Ss: well the author is tired and just wrote them there so your part is forgotten, maybe someone else can write us in.
S: Maybe...

At Yunalesca’s not so elegant castle.

Y: Who doth speak to the Great Yunalesca, th Wizard of Spira, God of All!!!
T: We do we seek your help.
Y: No!!
T: But... We came from the one end of the linear path all the way here to see you!
Y: :love::love::love::love::love: off!!

As they debate this Kihmari has found a curtain reveling a small girl operating a machine.

Y: Do not mind the girl behind the curtain now go away!
A: We can kill you or....
W: You can help us ya!
A: I was gonna...*falls over*
T: Auron!!!
A: ehhhh.
Y: What do you need?
W: I need a brain ya!
A: I need to give a damn.*gets up*
T: And I need to get back to my home... Zanarkand.
Y: Well I can’t give Wakka your brain but I can do this *cast silence on Wakka* Now you will seem smart and moody. As for Auron you don’t need me to give you a damn just kill those who get in your way. And Tidus you are in Zanarkand so looks like your screwed!

And so they all lived a little worse off then if they never went on the quest at all.
The End

aeris2001x2
07-24-2004, 04:53 AM
*reads fanfic*... oh my... *head explodes*

chu52
07-24-2004, 07:01 AM
That was my first attempt at a fanfic and it couldn't have been that bad.

Del Murder
07-25-2004, 05:45 PM
This is one of the better things I have read in the FFX Forum. Good job!

chu52
07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Why thank you, I'm thinking of putting a extened version of that fanfic on www.fanfic.net

Shadow_Talon
10-17-2004, 12:00 PM
1. u have waaaaay too much time on ur hands

2. i admire that, i would have never have thought of it like that (is now just waiting for a fan fic or summin showin 'em like dorothy and so on)

3. kepp em comming i'm sure there aremore out there...i cant think of any though

DMKA
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Yevonites and Al Bhed and Guado...oh my!

I had never noticed any of that.