PDA

View Full Version : Newbies have feelings too, you know.

Cz
07-19-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm so glad I didn't make a newbie thread when I arrived. Within seconds of posting, I'd have been claimed, sexored, and generally have people spam up my welcome thread. It's hardly surprising that most newbies don't stick around for more than a week. If I was new, I'd be scared stiff.

I'm not saying that everyone should be restricted to a generic welcome, but that people should tone it down a little. Newbie threads should be about the newbie, not about who can give them the funniest object.

Another thing that rather upset me was the treatment of kirk81 in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=47748). Yes, the guy was kind of irritating, but the replies in that thread were just downright horrible, whatever way you look at them. I think we sometimes forget that most people who join EoFF come from mucher smaller forums, where short, generally topic-less posts are acceptable, and that making the transition to a large community such as this can be difficult. We've seen people mature over time, and I think we should do our best to encourage that, rather than criticising innocent mistakes. To be honest, it saddens me to see that thread in the archives. I don't want to remember that as a part of EoFF's history.

I guess that now it's done, there's nothing I can ask but for people to be a little more accepting of newbies. Point out their mistakes, yes, but don't criticise, and they'll do everything they can to correct them. Give them time, and perhaps they won't run away after only a few hours online.

Mr. Graves
07-19-2004, 07:34 PM
I didn't make a newbie thread and I made mistakes. I didn't really have them pointed out, but I figured out where I did go wrong when I did, and now I'm a better poster by figuring everything out.

I thought the replies to the Kirk81 thread were amusing, myself. The whole thread was pretty funny.

Mikztsu
07-19-2004, 07:46 PM
When I made a newbie thread years ago, I was welcomed by everyone who posted in it. It's changed a bit, but I dont mind as long as people aren't rude.

Kirk was awesome and people were very rude to him. :( No wonder he stopped caring and got himself banned. I mean, I myself would stop caring if people were like that to me. *_*

Shoeberto
07-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I joined a long time ago and everyone was really friendly to me. I generally stay away from newbie threads these days, but I didn't really think that the stuff was that bad.

Project G
07-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I joined a while ago, when I started a newbie thread it was closed because people were swearing at me

Flying Mullet
07-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Newbies don't have feelings. Who's been feeding you this rubbish? :-p

Project G
07-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Ha ha ha nice one FlyingMullet
FlyingMullet-always here for a good laugh

Denmark
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Welcome to EoFF.

<_< >_>

I never made a newbie thread, I just started posting. And I guess I grew with the forums.

I rarely if ever post in newbie threads. I don't consider myself all that sociable. So I don't usually notice newbies. I wouldn't make an effort to criticize, but I won't help either. So I guess what I'm saying is nothing, really. =D um, every once in a while there is a newbie that can't be ignored, and they're cool. rarely, though.

Ouch!
07-19-2004, 08:08 PM
I never made a newbie thread, and I'm glad I didn't.

As for that thread, I don't feel bad about saying that. I'd probably make that same response again. The only real bad treatment that he got was Bleys's comment, but it was fairly amusing.

As far as getting used to the forum, that definately wasn't his first post, and it doesn't take long to catch on that he has to put forth at least a little more effort. He had a lot of threads like that, and he never took a hint.

It's just how EoFF is. You say something relatively stupid and you will be made fun of for it whether you're a newbie or a veteran member. I don't think that's going to change.

Dixie
07-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I made a newbie thread, but I don't remember anyone sexoring me or claiming me. And I don't remember anyone spamming my thread. I think it's because I said that Sephex is my big brother and then they thought that if they did that they would get murdered by him.

Kirobaito
07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Newbies have feelings too, you know.
Pssh. No they don't.

I didn't make a newbie thread, and, as expected, not a soul knew who I was for 2 1/2 years. :)

Rye
07-19-2004, 08:56 PM
I never had a newbie thread. :( And the newbie threads are like, a test. If the newbie can put up with the claiming and sexoring, they are truly a member of EoFF. :cool:

Or at least, that's how I look at it.

Flying Mullet
07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I didn't make a newbie thread, and, as expected, not a soul knew who I was for 2 1/2 years. :)
Who are you again?

Kirobaito
07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
i'm king bahamut. i r teh uber l33t g4m3r.

Logan
07-19-2004, 08:59 PM
I think I'm generally nice to newbies.

fire_of_avalon
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
I never made a newbie thread, and look where I am today! That's right. Over there.

Ryth
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Damn man you all were too harsh on poor Kirk81 and a question how did Kirk81 get banned?

Kirobaito
07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Massive, massive spam thread after spam thread. And don't forget calling the Cid's Knights Shinra, because they always get in the way. :p

Rye
07-19-2004, 09:07 PM
But you gotta admit, that was a funny thread he made.

Amnesiac
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
No0bie threads are just another form of spam. People just want attention, so they make these "Greeting Threads."

Hell, that's why I made one—I love the attention. ;P

Psychotic
07-19-2004, 09:14 PM
I didn't make a newbie thread, I just hung out in the FF Part of the forums until I had my custom title, then magically appeared out of nowhere here.

Although I don't agree with the treatment of kirk81 (Although I liked my post in that thread), it's been going on for ages. Take good ol' Faris_the_guy for example, and he too ended up being banned (And I'm still in contact with him and he still has no clue why he got banned). I think this kinda shows how newer, less-established members are more likely to be banned than members who have been posting here for longer, and can't get away with as much. Still, I suppose that's because the staff trust and know the older members more to know their intent isn't malicious.

Rye
07-19-2004, 09:16 PM
...Take good ol' Faris_the_guy for example, and he too ended up being banned (And I'm still in contact with him and he still has no clue why he got banned). I think this kinda shows how newer, less-established members are more likely to be banned than members who have been posting here for longer, and can't get away with as much. Still, I suppose that's because the staff trust and know the older members more to know their intent isn't malicious.

I was waiting for FTG to be mentioned. Everyone hated him, for like no reason.

Amnesiac
07-19-2004, 09:20 PM
I didn't make a newbie thread, I just hung out in the FF Part of the forums until I had my custom title, then magically appeared out of nowhere here.

Although I don't agree with the treatment of kirk81 (Although I liked my post in that thread), it's been going on for ages. Take good ol' Faris_the_guy for example, and he too ended up being banned (And I'm still in contact with him and he still has no clue why he got banned). I think this kinda shows how newer, less-established members are more likely to be banned than members who have been posting here for longer, and can't get away with as much. Still, I suppose that's because the staff trust and know the older members more to know their intent isn't malicious.

That's how life works... >_>;;

Older members get perks, while newer members can to lick said older members' boots. >_>

Psychotic
07-19-2004, 09:20 PM
I was waiting for FTG to be mentioned. Everyone hated him, for like no reason.

Yeah, you told me on MSN you were waiting for it so I mentioned the guy. Anyway, people didn't like him because he acted a bit like kirk, and he didn't know any better as he was like, 12, but now he does and he's paid the price for it. *shrugs*

chu52
07-19-2004, 09:27 PM
in the words of Anne Frank "Most people are generally good" so don't judge us because of princeofdarkeness or others who reek havoc

Mr. Graves
07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Y'know, I think this place is more tolerant and welcoming of newbies than they were last year around this time. Just something I've seen.

And, well, it could be worse.

Flying Mullet
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Just be glad that PG's sexoring was by words only.

Kirobaito
07-19-2004, 09:49 PM
That's what you think.

square_is_the_best
07-19-2004, 11:49 PM
All I have to say is Kirk81 HAD IT COMING! He got on my nerves! And thats hard to do over the net. *cringe at the thought of him*

-N-
07-20-2004, 01:37 AM
No0bie threads are just another form of spam. People just want attention, so they make these "Greeting Threads."

Hell, that's why I made one—I love the attention. ;P

You're two for two today, man. Your awesomeness batting percentage is 1.000. *agrees*

I never made a n00b thread either. Just kinda fit in.

And as for kirk81, I tried to memorialize him, but Yams was like the Shinra. He got in the way. :exdee:

in the words of Anne Frank "Most people are generally good" so don't judge us because of princeofdarkeness or others who reek havoc

It's shit like this that'll get you in trouble. At least I didn't make it personal. I'm trying to help you here.

Del Murder
07-20-2004, 01:41 AM
There was only one comment in kirk's thread that I thought was inappropriate. But yeah, please be nice to the new people. We were all new once. It's ok to joke around like that with some of the long time members, but new people might not know you are joking. I don't normally check newbie threads but I'll try to make an effort to make sure people are behaving.

escobert
07-20-2004, 01:49 AM
I joined a long time ago and everyone was really friendly to me. I generally stay away from newbie threads these days, but I didn't really think that the stuff was that bad.
Same here. I think when we joined EoFF was much smaller then it is now so maybe that had something to do with it also. I dunno.

RSL
07-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Faris the Guy knows why he was banned.

Also, I agree with the main points of this thread. New members are brave enough to introduce themselves to the board, we shouldn't be scaring them off. I know that very few people on here mean any harm, but from the point of view of someone who doesn't know better, it can be pretty overwhelming.

As for making a newbie thread, I don't think I did. The board was only a day old when I joined, everyone was a newbie.

-N-
07-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Can you make a newbie thread now?

square_is_the_best
07-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Actually I've considered that. And I have.

Polaris
07-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I made a newbie thread for me when I joined and no one treated me badly, that's why I'm still here! I really like this place and I think that people have reasons to don't like some... we can't julge them...

Lots of love everyone! :love:

nik0tine
07-20-2004, 09:44 AM
I made a newbie thread for me when I joined and no one treated me badly, that's why I'm still here! I really like this place and I think that people have reasons to don't like some... we can't julge them...

Lots of love everyone! :love:

just because someone doesnt like someone, doesnt mean they should get to be a dick about it.

Polaris
07-20-2004, 09:45 AM
just because someone doesnt like someone, doesnt mean they should get to be a dick about it.

yes but who am I to julges other people behaviours?

Pain_4_Sale
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I made a post stating that I was a newbie the first time I was here. No-one was mean to me though. Instead they started a new thread to talk about wether it's a newb thing to do or not. But look at me now, I'm a stinkin pro at this.

:)

sephxangel
07-20-2004, 11:32 AM
That's how life works... >_>;;

Older members get perks, while newer members can to lick said older members' boots. >_>

excuse me i don't lick any one's boots.

and how the hell did kirk get banned?!!? where was i when this happened?

Loony BoB
07-20-2004, 12:30 PM
I think newbies are great. I love being the Eternal Newbie. If it weren't for newbies, this place would get boring a lot faster than it already does for a lot of people - in some cases, the people who complain about this place being boring are also the people who scare away the newbies who have the potential to make the place a little more interesting. Taking that oe step further, in some cases, people who say that EoFF is getting boring are also the ones who insist that all the happy-sappy type ideas that people come up with are dumb. Not that I haven't agreed on some occasions, mind you. I'm no saint. But if there's one thing I try not to do, it's insult or be cruel to newbies. I wish we would get more sometimes.

I never made a newbie thread but I joined when everyone who was a newbie had the same avatar (the one I continue to use today), so everyone knew I was new, and I got the "newbie treatment" of the day. This included a welcoming from a few Cid's Knights hoping I'd stick around, a warning about NeX and then NeX eating me. I was happy to be eaten by NeX but I think having sex with newbies isn't nearly as appropriate or fun(ny).

Project G
07-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Newbies are funny, I don't know why but they are

Baloki
07-20-2004, 04:33 PM
_

:love: <3 :love:

Anyway, I try and be nice to them sometimes, I even wrote that silly newbie pack (Which yes I know is out of date) which does seem to help sometimes :D

Loony BoB
07-20-2004, 05:29 PM
I posted an underscore? I don't even see it. :(

Cz
07-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I thought the replies to the Kirk81 thread were amusing, myself. The whole thread was pretty funny.
If you've been around for a while, and are used to our sense of humour, it could be pretty funny. However, if you're a newbie, you might take those comments seriously. If that's the case, then you can't exactly shrug it off. That kind of comment would stay with you.

There was only one comment in kirk's thread that I thought was inappropriate.
Agreed, but given a bit longer, I'm sure more would have added to it. Thanks for closing it before things got worse.

But yeah, please be nice to the new people. We were all new once. It's ok to joke around like that with some of the long time members, but new people might not know you are joking.
That's pretty much what I'm talking about. I tried to introduce a friend to EoFF, and in doing so I realised that there are a lot of unwritten rules around here. It was difficult trying to explain our humour, and what exactly is acceptable and what isn't. He still looks around every now and again, but hasn't posted since his newbie thread. Maybe when coming from a smaller board, EoFF can be a bit intimidating.

I made a post stating that I was a newbie the first time I was here. No-one was mean to me though. Instead they started a new thread to talk about wether it's a newb thing to do or not.
Sounds like a good thread. The spamming problem isn't as widespread as perhaps I suggested, but it is there. If all newbie threads could be like yours, maybe a few more people would stick around.

Rainecloud
07-20-2004, 05:50 PM
If you've been around for a while, and are used to our sense of humour, it could be pretty funny. However, if you're a newbie, you might take those comments seriously.

I think you're absolutely right. Looking at that thread as I do now, nothing seems offensive. However, if I were to view the thread from a newbie's perspective, I'd probably be quite offended. We have a unique sense of humour here at EoFF that most of us seem to use, and I presume the newbies just "don't get it" to begin with. After spending a few months with us, they probably begin to understand that not all we say is meant to be taken seriously.

Perhaps we should make a little bit of extra effort with respect to courtesy when it comes to these poor new members. That probably won't happen, though. Having said that, the majority of members here treat the newbies with respect and dignity, and I'm sure the ones that stick around appreciate that.

Amnesiac
07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm a no0bie... but since I actually have a sense of humor, I don't get offended by most things. >_>;;

But that's just me.

Rye
07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
I think that's why when newbies post in FF forums for a while first, like I did, they're a bit more prepared of GC.

Baloki
07-20-2004, 06:03 PM
I posted an underscore? I don't even see it. :(

You can't post just a blank space and how else can I adore your name?

<3

Misfit
07-20-2004, 07:23 PM
... but I think having sex with newbies isn't nearly as appropriate or fun(ny).
I agree!

And ... my newbie thread was fun. I just figured I'd mess around when I was a newbie, y'know, so people could get used to me. 8-) And I used to like posting in others' newbie threads, but they're all just stupid anymore. I still do it sometimes, but everyone just tries to be funny instead of ... y'know, actually welcoming the newbie. >D

Flying Mullet
07-20-2004, 07:52 PM
You can't post just a blank space and how else can I adore your name?
<3

<i></i>
Like that.

Misfit
07-20-2004, 08:35 PM
<i></i>
Yeah, totally! :nibbles:

CloudySky
07-20-2004, 09:31 PM
I always post a n00b thread at a new forum, cuz it helps "to meet" most active members of the forum and to know their interests and make final decisions. It usually works... except EoFF. Most of EoFF's posters don’t read posts. That’s the problem, not being hard on niewbies or making jokes. You people think that most newbies don't have any sense of humour. That's ridiculous! Amd I don't see any special humour here. This forum pretty much similar to other forums. The differences are very tiny feedback and lack of dialogue.

Amnesiac
07-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I always post a n00b thread at a new forum, cuz it helps "to meet" most active members of the forum and to know their interests and make final decisions. It usually works... except EoFF. Most of EoFF's posters don’t read posts. That’s the problem, not being hard on niewbies or making jokes. You people think that most newbies don't have any sense of humour. That's ridiculous! Amd I don't see any special humour here. This forum pretty much similar to other forums. The differences are very tiny feedback and lack of dialogue.

Huh? Oh, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

:P

jarsthegooner
07-21-2004, 12:26 AM
*****Sittin here wondering whether to post a newbie thread?*****
***Is being sexored a good thing?***

-N-
07-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Bah, you don't need a newbie thread.

As long as no one is directly insulting you without a smiley face close by, you're fine.

Bad thing: *has sex with you and owns you*
Good thing: *has sex with you and owns you* :D

Subtle differences - even regulars don't catch them sometimes. Or they forget to insert smilies. *guilty of that* :D

Del Murder
07-21-2004, 02:28 AM
I think the best possible route would be to not say that at all.

EDIT: :D

Doomgaze
07-21-2004, 05:07 AM
newbies are a myth perpetuated by the liberal elite

Cz
07-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Of course newbies have a sense of humour. However, the kind of humour you'll find here is very different from some boards. It just depends where you come from, that's all. Some people might not have even been to an internet forum before, and it's quite possible that they might not get some of the in-jokes.

I do agree that newbie threads are often ignored by most EoFFers, but the fact is that once you've welcomed a dozen people or so, there's very little new that you can say, and your replies feel a little meaningless. It's hard not to feel a little silly if all you can say to a newbie is 'Hi, and welcome.' Perhaps that's the cause of some of the spammy replies we get around here.

Ehrye
07-21-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm a newbie. I come from small...well... it wasn't small, but it was made for 9-13 year olds. Nobody was mean to each other. I once started a topic on werenation, where newbies could put a profile on it. People made fun of the way I spelled, and what I thought. They continuosly pounded me untill my mind snapped and I called them all puss_(you know what goes there) mother......(and there) you get the idea. I got banned and didn't bother getting another name, so I could go back.

So words of wisdom don't be mean to the newbies. Unless you want a boring fourm, where your talking to the same people every day. If you pick on them, they won't come back. The site will stop growing because they tell their friends what happened. Untill everybody get bored and doesn't come. The site slowly dies. I've seen it before. DONT BE MEAN TO US NEWBIES. Have a nice day :D

CloudySky
07-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Of course newbies have a sense of humour. However, the kind of humour you'll find here is very different from some boards. It just depends where you come from, that's all. Some people might not have even been to an internet forum before, and it's quite possible that they might not get some of the in-jokes.

I do agree that newbie threads are often ignored by most EoFFers, but the fact is that once you've welcomed a dozen people or so, there's very little new that you can say, and your replies feel a little meaningless. It's hard not to feel a little silly if all you can say to a newbie is 'Hi, and welcome.' Perhaps that's the cause of some of the spammy replies we get around here.

Yep, I see your point, but how many completely new to inet people comes to forums: 1 in the month or in the year? And yes, people get bored by posting to n00b threads, but still those are introduction threads and when treated accordingly, introduce people. “Hi!” isn't introduction and even an answer to introduction. That's my opinion.

-N-
07-22-2004, 01:55 AM
I just thought of a catchy way to sum it up.

If we cut you, you'll bleed.
If we just poke you, you'll giggle.
If we poke you enough, you'll laugh hard or you'll just leave.

:D

chichi
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Yep, I see your point, but how many completely new to inet people comes to forums: 1 in the month or in the year? And yes, people get bored by posting to n00b threads, but still those are introduction threads and when treated accordingly, introduce people. “Hi!” isn't introduction and even an answer to introduction. That's my opinion.
I only joined a couple of months ago and I usually come here every couple of days. I never made a newbie thread, but I'd like to think that you guys would of welcomed of me if I had of though. I thought the replies to kirk81 were a bit nasty, but then again I haven't seen any of his earlier posts so I don't know what he was like or if he pissed people off or not. I'm guessing he must of as I'd like to think people wouldn't be that mean for no reason. ;)

Cz
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
He wasn't a bad guy, just a little naive. He did annoy people, yes, but I don't think he did so intentionally.

Female Ryuichi
07-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I try to be nice to newbies. I do tend to join lots of different forums all the time, where I'm a "newbie". Therefore, I REMEMBER what it's like to be new.

I try my friends, I try.

HOOTERS
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
If I had made a newbie thread and people had said nice things to me I would have left. I think I only stayed because people were making fun off this guy and it was funny. Who would you rather stay the weekend with, the Addams Family or the Brady Bunch?

btw I think kirk was pretty smart not naive. Just because somebody does something annoying doesn't mean they're not doing it on purpose. That thread was really only funny for his post. :smash:

frr_vegeta
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
I think the locals attempt to ward off newcomers on purpose, only the strong prevail.

*Sexes Czanthor* ~.^

War Angel
07-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Boobs are awesome. Noobs on the other hand... are much less so.

Doomgaze
07-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Hmoobs > Boobs > Noobs

Rainecloud
07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
If I had made a newbie thread and people had said nice things to me I would have left. I think I only stayed because people were making fun off this guy and it was funny. Who would you rather stay the weekend with, the Addams Family or the Brady Bunch?

The Brady Bunch. I'm "glad" you decided to stick around, HOOTERS, but I hope you understand that there has to be some semblance of order here at EoFF. Contrary to popular belief, the main purpose of posting here most definitely isn't to poke fun at others. A bit of fun never killed anyone, but making others feel bad by using sarcastic and negative comments with the goal of making yourself seem more "in with the crowd" is pathetic.

eternalshiva
07-22-2004, 06:01 PM
*shrugs* Welcoming threads are welcoming threads. We can't one word spam them with Hi! so people will usually come up with some non-sense. If the person can't take the humour lightly in the thread then they obviously shouldn't stick around.

Being a noob is like Frosh Week at University. Suck it up and have a good laugh other wise you won't make it very far anywhere. You're going to be made fun of for being new, just like anywhere else. Live with it, suck it up and move on, we all did ;p Some people take things too far and they're warned for it but if the noob can't take a joke or some light humour and goes freaking crazy, then it's a sure fire sign that person can't handle serious topics with out keeping their cool, like in EoEo or some other forum that deals with serious topics.

If you can't handle a little made-fun-of in your welcome thread, you can't handle the homosexuality and in relation to god thread ;p That's my personal opinion how ever. *sexors the noobs that have avoided noob threads*

Baloki
07-22-2004, 06:09 PM
*shrugs* Welcoming threads are welcoming threads. We can't one word spam them with Hi! so people will usually come up with some non-sense. If the person can't take the humour lightly in the thread then they obviously shouldn't stick around.

Being a noob is like Frosh Week at University. Suck it up and have a good laugh other wise you won't make it very far anywhere. You're going to be made fun of for being new, just like anywhere else. Live with it, suck it up and move on, we all did ;p Some people take things too far and they're warned for it but if the noob can't take a joke or some light humour and goes freaking crazy, then it's a sure fire sign that person can't handle serious topics with out keeping their cool, like in EoEo or some other forum that deals with serious topics.

If you can't handle a little made-fun-of in your welcome thread, you can't handle the homosexuality and in relation to god thread ;p That's my personal opinion how ever. *sexors the noobs that have avoided noob threads*

OMG your like so wrong *sticks out tounge, pokes ES and runs away screaming*

frr_vegeta
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Boobs are awesome. Noobs on the other hand... are much less so.
Consider this seconded.

Psychotic
07-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Personally, I reckon kirk81 was a second account of someone really intelligent, who aimed to annoy people and get it banned (I suspected Linus, but it probably wasn't).

If it was, then whoever it was is a genius. If not, I pity kirk.

So uh... that's why people were rude to him. 'Cause he was a fake!

Ouch!
07-22-2004, 07:37 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. If newbies are going to run away scared after their newbie thread, they wouldn't fit in here well anyways. It's just how the place is. Besides, I've run into much worse. I remember about a month after I joined a member "joined" and made a thread about why I suck. I have a good idea of who it was, but that's not the point. Sure, I was upset for a while, but then all I could do was laugh.

Just because they're new doesn't mean we should change to their liking. They have to change to fit the mold. Part of being a newbie is not fitting in. If a newbie is to fit in here, most likely they're going to have to change something so that they can fit in. Hardly any members just fit this place like a glove when they come here, though there are some who do.

Newbies need to take it like a man, or woman, suck it up and move on. Or they can just lurk around the rest of the board wallowing in fear of general chat. I did that for about a year.

Cz
07-22-2004, 07:47 PM

I haven't seen any newbies react badly to replies in their threads, most of them just tend to leave without a fuss. But that's just as bad, isn't it? People don't come here to have others poke fun at them, no matter how light-hearted it might be. I know that generic welcomes are a bit dull, but I'd rather post nothing at all than some meaningless nonsense.

Plus, poking fun at new members gives the impression of a hierachy, with them at the bottom. If everyone who posts in their thread seems to treat them as an inferior, then it's not going to give a good impression of the site.

Don't misunderstand me, a relaxed, humorous newbie thread is great. It's always good to see a person come along who can cope with a bit of mickey-taking, and join in with the fun, but not everyone wants that, and we should respect that.

If I had made a newbie thread and people had said nice things to me I would have left. I think I only stayed because people were making fun off this guy and it was funny.

Yeah, but you're not exactly what we would have called an average newbie, are you? If all new members were like you, newbie threads probably would have been banned by now. :D

Del Murder
07-23-2004, 01:47 AM
It's true that people who can't take a little light humor are no fun, but we should not be ones to judge. As long as it kept light it is ok, but nothing like 'I'm going to kill you', and even 'sexors' is borderline. I'm sure you guys can come up with much more appropriate things to say in those lovely heads of yours.

bennator
07-23-2004, 02:03 AM
I disagree Czanthor, I didn't gain the ability to feel until I got my custom rank.

kikimm
07-23-2004, 03:50 AM
I usually never post in newbie threads. Too much of a hassle, and everything I say is the same in all of them. And then there are the newbies..not to be mean, but some of them....annoy me. However, i'm positive that if they would stick around longer, I would like them.

I'm not a newbie to this site, but I am fairly new to the forums. I never bothered to make a newbie thread, because I knew that crap like that would most likely happen. I just started posting. Once you do it long enough, people know you.

I just wouldn't make newbiw threads anymore, if only spamming, and insulting is going to go in there. But that's my opinion.

:D

Raistlin
07-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Spamming them up is the only real purpose of newbie threads. I don't think I ever made one here, though.

Newbies need to be picked on a bit, so they'll eventually grow into more hardy, stable individuals. Like Bleys.

-N-
07-23-2004, 05:51 AM

*sexors the noobs that have avoided noob threads*

Word. *is sexored... 3.5 years late* :D

But seriously, I totally agree. Mostly because the opposing view is too bleeding-heart sympathetic to me. You want to change this? You're gonna have to change the way society and the rest of humanity works. You want to change that? Clean up your room first. You want to change me? Get over yourself.

Personally, I reckon kirk81 was a second account of someone really intelligent, who aimed to annoy people and get it banned (I suspected Linus, but it probably wasn't).

If it was, then whoever it was is a genius. If not, I pity kirk.

So uh... that's why people were rude to him. 'Cause he was a fake!

Yeah, just like that pgpgpgpgpg guy. What was up with him? *glares at Immortal* :D

frr_vegeta
07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Spamming them up is the only real purpose of newbie threads. I don't think I ever made one here, though.

Newbies need to be picked on a bit, so they'll eventually grow into more hardy, stable individuals. Like Bleys.
I've never been able to contemplate the usage of "Bleys" and "stable individual(s)" in the same post before.

Baloki
07-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm shameless so some shameless advertising, help me re-write the newbie pack please :D

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=48600

Thankies, hopefully if its upto date it will be much more helpful to those pesky kids, NEXT TIME GADGET NEXT TIMEEE!!!!!

Cz
07-23-2004, 04:39 PM
But seriously, I totally agree. Mostly because the opposing view is too bleeding-heart sympathetic to me. You want to change this? You're gonna have to change the way society and the rest of humanity works. You want to change that? Clean up your room first. You want to change me? Get over yourself.

Eh? That seems pretty selfish to me. There's nothing wrong with changing your attitudes, especially if it benefits other people. What exactly would we lose by being nice to newbies? We spam enough as it is.

Giga Guess
07-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm nice to newbies. Innocent until proven guilty, I always say.

jarsthegooner
07-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Ooooh i suspect im guilty of something

-N-
07-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Eh? That seems pretty selfish to me. There's nothing wrong with changing your attitudes, especially if it benefits other people. What exactly would we lose by being nice to newbies? We spam enough as it is.

I don't recall being compelled to accomodate other people. Sure, it's a nice thing to do, but it's hardly morally required. I'm not going to waste my time in a moral debate since I currently have none, so this will end here.

Mr. Graves
07-24-2004, 01:29 AM
As for how I treat newbies: They're new members. I just ignore them for the most part, unless they make a very good presense and their posts have a distinct personality to them.

Raistlin
07-24-2004, 04:25 AM
I've never been able to contemplate the usage of "Bleys" and "stable individual(s)" in the same post before.
*tosses frr_vegeta a clue* :rolleyes2

Meat Puppet
07-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Yes. When I was a newbie my feelings were incredibly hurt on account of the Sugpo incident. Yeah I know, I'll drop it.

Giga Guess
07-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Awwww....c'mere. *Biiiiig hug!*

All better?

Edgar
07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Never made a n0ewbie thread and I've been here for 3 years. No one knows me :P I don't spend time at the General Forums anyway.

Unless I'm bored...

Yes, I AM bored :mad:

Giga Guess
07-25-2004, 04:45 PM
I know you Edgar. I'll admit, it was a while until I actively noticed you, but you were located.

Cz
07-25-2004, 07:14 PM
To be honest, I don't think most newbie threads make particularly much difference to how well-known a member becomes. I can't remember any newbie threads from more than a fortnight ago, let alone the newbies who post in them. What really matters is the newbie's personality. When people make intelligent or interesting posts, that's when you notice them. I'd like to give new members the chance to be creative, maybe tell us a bit about themselves. Maybe we'll get to know them better as a result.

I'll make sure to ask the next one a few questions.

P.S. I recognise you, Edgar. You're pretty active around the FF forums, so you haven't been completely ignored. :)

Ehrye
07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
you know what would be a good fourm if when Newbies made threads we were all like yo wazzzuuup then like nothin' muuuch atleast they would go away laughing instead of angered.
I can see it all now

yo wazzup

nuthin muuch

yo and the thiiiiing

nowaaaaay

LOL Have a nice day. :D

Ryth
10-11-2004, 01:13 AM
:eek: Wow I no wonder he got banned I looked at all his threads and replies his messages are so lifeless and he is now the no. 1 spammer IN THE WORLD that Dentist thread was uhh geez no wonder he was banned no wonder most people disliked him his replies were robotic! I don't hate him for it but man really.....

Jack
10-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I never started one and was here for ages before entering the Lounge. I felt experienced with the whole idea of Forums yet that was still a HUGE transition. I understand that going from a limited community to a huge place has drawbacks. also stopped caring and insulted everyone, with a wonderful sig informing my hatred of everyone in GC. I matured of course, but took time and the more people insulting me made me worse (Not naming anyone...RAINECLOUD :p ) so there you go. Care for Newbies and they'll care for you. I actaully massage BoB's feet every day because he was very kind to me.

nik0tine
10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=51329

That right there PROVES that newbies have feelings... Poor girl :(

lmao :p

Iceglow
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
that made for long reading but I did it. I remember being a newbie and I made my first few posts in the FFVIII and FFX forums and the only person who actually noticed I was new (to my knowlege -as in actually recieving a comment) was Rye and I dont remember ever putting a newbie thread up but you know I have been on smaller forums and bigger ones than this and to be honest the sex0ring, claiming ect is not half as bad as most of the stuff I have experienced on other forums. The worst experience as a newbie was on Keen space forums where cause my first post (one of these unwritten rules) was a question every member of the forum including other newbies flamed me I was there all of 3 days. They weren't particulary good flames at that but it was sheer number of them I went back later under a different name and was accepted into them straight away my last act on that forum was to tell them exactly who I was (number one on the most hated member list) and flamed the lot of them since then I haven't been back and wont recommend the place to anyone at all. But seriously if people cant deal with our minor stuff like sex0ring then what kind of chance do they have out there on the big bad internet?