PDA

View Full Version : Et cetera, vis-a-vis, quid pro quo, et cetera...

-N-
07-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Anyone know what i.e. and e.g. stand for? I've heard e.g. stands for "examplus gratus". What about i.e.?

If there are any other obscure abbreviations you want to ask about, go ahead.

escobert
07-20-2004, 02:20 AM
In example? I thinks that's what it is.

Yamaneko
07-20-2004, 02:24 AM
id est

-N-
07-20-2004, 02:36 AM
Got it.

"id est" <=> i.e. <=> "In other words"

"examplus gratus" <=> e.g. <=> "For example"

Dr Unne
07-20-2004, 03:07 AM
"i.e." stands for "id est" which means literally "it is" or "that is". "e.g." stands for "exempli gratia" meaning literally "for the sake of example". You use "e.g." when giving an example, e.g. if I were to say "I only let cool people in here, e.g. Unne". "i.e." is used to restate something again in a different way which usually also gives further information, i.e. to expand upon something already said, perhaps by coming at the idea from another angle, e.g. if I were to say "Only Unne is allowed in here, i.e. only cool people, sorry."

I hope this has been <s>confusing</s> helpful.

Behold the Void
07-20-2004, 09:16 AM
A carryover from latin I suppose. Although vis-a-vis is French.

Citizen Bleys
07-20-2004, 10:56 PM
N.B. Most of that stuff is Latin

Rainecloud
07-21-2004, 07:27 AM
quid pro quo

Ah. Now I understand the joke in "Austin Powers" where he says 'Squid Pro Row'.

It must be a saying primarily used in the US.

-N-
07-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Actually, the only time I've really heard that used was in The Lion King by Scar in that one song... "Be Prepared". And the Architect in Matrix Reloaded probably said it too. I haven't heard it used by Americans much.

DeBlayde
07-22-2004, 06:43 AM
actually, the Architect said "Appropo." how do I know this? because I've an annoyingly clear memory of things I've seen four or five times. and I didn't know the word (which means a convenient example) so looked it up to see exactly what Colonel Kentucky Fried Architect was talkin about.

quid pro quo is used in American Law to mean "this for that" even though it means "this Before that." Go figure. they're only surrounded by Latin daily and the lawyers still twist the meanings around. why do they do this? because they can! the laymen give them the power to pervert everything they touch by not educating themselves about the subtleties of law, thereby influencing and directly leading to the degeneration of pizza.

kikimm
07-22-2004, 06:48 AM
this isn't latin, but..rsvp. i can only come up with respond soon very please....doesn't sound right. :O_O:

:D

Doomgaze
07-22-2004, 06:50 AM
responde sil-vous plait, i believe. I probably spelled it wrong, though - never learned French.

DeBlayde
07-22-2004, 06:56 AM
mais oui. Ca c'est "Repondez, s'il vous plait." = "Respond, if it pleases you."

great language. especially for swearing. Like wiping your... well, you know. :D

kikimm
07-22-2004, 06:58 AM
i prefer swearing in swedish...or german. but then again you sound like you're swearing all the time in german.

Meat Puppet
07-22-2004, 10:11 AM
I always though it meant egzample.

Behold the Void
07-22-2004, 10:24 AM
The Architect in the Matrix does say Vis-a-vis, as in "vis-a-vis, love".

And DeyBlade is right on the French, but even if he were wrong I probably wouldn't realize it as my French sucks, especially at 2:30 AM.

Mo-Nercy
07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
i prefer swearing in swedish...or german. but then again you sound like you're swearing all the time in german.

Ich liebe dich.

This is nice stuff to know. I've never really thought about what all those things stand for.

kikimm
07-23-2004, 02:57 AM
Mo Nercy: Ich liebe dich.

Aww! Du bist zu nett!

Dr Unne
07-23-2004, 03:05 AM
My favorite Latin expression is "sic", even though it can only be used to make other people seem un-smart, thus making you seem like a jerk for using it. "sic" is used when you quote someone, and it means "This is not a mistake I made while quoting; I am quoting a mistake the original speaker made". For example:

I always though it meant egzample [sic].

I use it there to indicate the use of a word that doesn't exist. See, it makes me seem like a huge jerk, especially if I was engaged in a debate with someone; using it repeatedly would basically be a very subtle attack on the other person's intelligence / grammar skills.

Giga Guess
07-23-2004, 05:37 AM
c'est la vie: Such is life.

I've always wondered though. What does (sic) stand for, precisely?

-N-
07-23-2004, 06:01 AM
I believe it's similar to "thus"... You mean the "sic" used to denote an error in a quote, right?

Doomgaze
07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Yeah, literally, it is "thus" or "so."