PDA

View Full Version : Worst FF1 Spell

BottledJustice
07-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Ok, this is pretty obvious. QAKE or PURE are at the top of my lists. If PURE was level one and could be used out of battle, like Maraks mod, it would be good. QAKE would be good if it worked once in a while.

LOK2 was dumb as well, come to think of it. I'm too lazy to get a list of spells, so don't blame me if I missed one.

Also, to lengthen the thread some, we'll include enemy spells. Yes, I know INK. That's blatantly obvious. INK sucks, so no one has to elaborate.

omnitarian
07-20-2004, 07:17 PM
LAMP and AMUT, because I have never been darknessed or muteded.

Black Mage FF1
07-20-2004, 07:48 PM
There are many useless spells on the NES version

Tempr - Doesnt work
Sabr - Doesnt work
Lock - doesnt work
Lock2 - it actually RAISES the enemies acc. by 20%!
ARUB - By time you by this you should have pro ring
XFER - Waste of time, no need for it
Slow2 - It has the same effect as slow but this spell only hits 1 enemy.
Any instant death spells - I never use them.
Slep - A crap spell, puts enemies to sleep for one turn! WOW!
Slep2 - Same as slep1 but only hits one enemy.

Out of all of those the worst spells are Lock2,Tempr,Sabr and Lock.

Martyr
07-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Black Mage FF1 summed it up pretty well.
Except that I have successfully utilized ARUB in the past and worn other stuff instead of the ProRing. So I wouldn't call it quite so useless as merely not as good as others. In the PURE catagory.

Also, what in lv. 4 white magic is better than pure? AICE? Nah. What enemy actually uses ice? Frost Dragon? Have you ever used AICE? Ever? No. But I've used Pure. It's dang good when you need it.
Cause I don't want to waste my time buying potions, ya know.

AMUT and Lamp are also pretty worthless, but they're lv. 2 magic. Give it a break. You've been muted and darked too, you just don't remember because it doesn't matter.

desh
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Wait, so SABR and TMPR don't do anything? Are you sure about that? How do you know?

Black Mage FF1
07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Wait, so SABR and TMPR don't do anything? Are you sure about that? How do you know?

I know for a fact. Just go and try them. You will see no difference in your attacks. However on the PSX version they DO work. On the NES version you can cast tempr 9 times and then sabr 100 if you want and you will see NO difference at all.

omnitarian
07-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Also, what in lv. 4 white magic is better than pure? AICE? Nah. What enemy actually uses ice? Frost Dragon? Have you ever used AICE? Ever?

AICE is the only A-spell I ever use. If you level at the peninsula, you'll need AICE in order to not get wiped out by a pack of Frost Wolves.

Dragonfire
07-21-2004, 03:24 AM
by the time you get lvl 4 spells, you really don't need to hang around that area much anymore.

although CONF is fun, but not really useful. I love making centipedes attack each other it'ss amusing for like 5 minutes.

Martyr
07-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Yeah... Confusion isn't really neceessary except for comedic purposes. Much safer to use when you have a Wizard Staff later in the game than it is to use up a possible ICE2 slot.

And about frost wolves on the peninsula:
What? You level there after you have level 4 magic? You don't just go to the giant cave and get your Steel Armor while you're in the area?
And why don't you run from the Frost Wolves in the first place? The only monsters I fight on the peninsula are ZomBulls. They give the best experience, have the most weakpoints as opposed to the frostwolves who require the use of a lv. 4 spell, don't always die after a shot of FIR2, give lousy XP and gold comparatively, and always have the oppertunity to FROST you before you cast the spell anyway. ???

Dr Unne
07-21-2004, 06:10 AM
AICE is OK if your party is weak. I do use it against Frost Dragons if I don't expect to be able to kill them in 2 rounds. Not like a White Mage has anything better to do, if your HP is full. Not like you're going to be saving up your level 4 White Magic for anything else. I almost never enter a tough battle without full HP, so I use A-magic all the time, at least until I have better things to cast like INV2.

Does any monster in the game cast MUTE? None that I can think of. AMUT is pretty much as worthless as you can get. ARUB is also worthless, because you're not going to waste potential CUR4 or HRM4 or even HEL3 just to have one battle's worth of protection from a spell almost no monsters use, and which hardly ever works even if a monster does use it, and which you're almost certainly already protected against from having the right armor. White Magic in general is pretty sucky compared to how many good or at least entertaining Black Magic spells there are. The sleep and stun Black Magic spells are pretty useless too though. But when's the last time status-effect magic didn't suck in an FF game? Looks like they started that trend early in the series.

Sefie1999AD
07-21-2004, 08:32 PM
XFER / Dispel sounds totally useless. It removes the positive status spells cast on enemies, but it's very rare that the enemies cast Invis, Protect, Haste, A-spells or anything else on them. Even if they do, it's a lot better idea to just kill the enemies and not waste your level 8 spells on useless things like that. Level 4 white magic is also quite questionable. Fear makes the enemies run away. I don't think it works too well, and you won't get any EXP or Gil from those who run away. You could have your White Mage/Wizard use the Run command instead. And as for AMUT, nobody ever silences you, so why would you need to remove silence status?

But when's the last time status-effect magic didn't suck in an FF game? Looks like they started that trend early in the series.

Offensive status magic didn't suck in FF4 Hard Type. :p There are a few places where the enemies are really hard. They do too much physical damage, they hardly take any physical damage or they're deadly spell-casters. For the first two cases, Mini will make them easy, and for the third case, Frog will work. And the first thing I have Rosa do against Demon Wall is to cast Slow on the boss.

Triple T
07-21-2004, 10:06 PM
The only spell I never used was Lock2. It was really bad. Like Black Mage said, it raises the enemies' Accuracy by 20%, wich would be really bad for my party.

Martyr
07-21-2004, 11:24 PM
I think a Naga can cast mute.
But it may simply have been the only enemy that mute ever worked on when I cast it...

WzOgres also know the spell. But again, I don't recall it ever working.

desh
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I think i've been muted before; it was on the psx version of the game.

Thornaxe Hammerstone
07-22-2004, 03:01 AM
The spells which are useless in the WSC version (which has the LOK/SLEP/SABR/etc spells fixed), imo, are the instant death spells (all of them, and dont bring up that tiamat stuff boo hoo your BM should be FASTing and no one else with the exception of worthless WM should even think of wasting their turn on the BANE sword), the various HEL spells, with the possible exception of the bugged HEL2 in the original, the Anti spells, with the possible exception of AICE for protection against packs of FrWolves while leveling at the PP, and PURE, which would only earn it's worth back after 40~ uses, and who here uses PURE more than 40 times a game? Certainly not me.

-N-
07-22-2004, 03:04 AM
You! I remember you! Why'd you dyslexisize your name?

Thornaxe Hammerstone
07-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Axethorn Stonehammer got banned for a not so subtle drug reference, which, while not directly inflammatory in nature, might have offended some of the younger posters' sensibilities.

DARK is quite the useless spell, now that I think about it.