PDA

View Full Version : Tom Bombadil

-N-
07-21-2004, 04:15 AM
This is a public announcement just to let you know that Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings is the undisputed best character in the series. Recently, new personal writings of Tolkien were found that suggest - no, state - that his overarching message in the Lord of the Rings series is that Tom Bombadil is a badass. I found it my duty to bring such news to your attention. Thank you for your time.

fire_of_avalon
07-21-2004, 06:29 AM
HAHA! No one agrees with you. It was Sam, I'm telling you. He was loyal, he was strong, he had a soft spot....what more could you ask for in a hero?

-N-
07-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Oh, I don't know, how about, um, BEING LIKE TOM BOMBADIL?

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Who was so utterly unnecessary to the plot that they hacked him out of the movie.

Big D
07-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Who was so utterly unnecessary to the plot that they hacked him out of the movie.In the extended cut of The Two Towers, some of Bombadial's lines and characteristics are given to Treebeard.

I found that Bombadil seemed slightly... stoned a lot of the time. In fact, in the brilliant lampoon Bored of the Rings, Bombadil's character is a drug-crazed hippy named Tim Benzedrine, so I'm not alone in that view.

I don't dislike the guy, though. He's a mysterious character, that's always a good thing. An embodiment of environmental ideals, too.
However, as Behold the Void has said, he didn't do one heck of a lot for the plot.

Incidentally, the true hero of The Lord of the Rings has always been, and will always be, Bill the Pony.

Rainecloud
07-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Tom was unusual, to say the least. He also got very lucky in terms of his circumstances. He lived in a rent-free apartment overlooking a nice forest, and somehow managed to marry a sweet elven girl called Goldberry. At least I believe she was an elf.

Loony BoB
07-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I found that Bombadil seemed slightly... stoned a lot of the time. In fact, in the brilliant lampoon Bored of the Rings, Bombadil's character is a drug-crazed hippy named Tim Benzedrine, so I'm not alone in that view.
Haha, I'm reading that book right now.

I thought he wasn't half-bad a character, although he was definitely only put in for the sake of Tolkien's kids.

Treebeard was a cooler character, though. Go Ents.

Cz
07-21-2004, 05:03 PM

I find it very difficult to imagine Bombadil as anything other than a drug-taking nutcase anymore. It seems to work so much better.

Del Murder
07-22-2004, 01:24 AM
I liked Aragorn the best. [/generic]

Also King Theoden.

-N-
07-22-2004, 02:03 AM
In the extended cut of The Two Towers, some of Bombadial's lines and characteristics are given to Treebeard.

I don't dislike the guy, though. He's a mysterious character, that's always a good thing. An embodiment of environmental ideals, too.
However, as Behold the Void has said, he didn't do one heck of a lot for the plot.

Incidentally, the true hero of The Lord of the Rings has always been, and will always be, Bill the Pony.

Bombadil has been much of an inspiration to my experimentation and subsequent addiction to all mind-altering substances known to mankind. However, I must say I am quite aghast at myself for overlooking Bill the Pony. Although Bill the Pony is undoubtedly one of Tolkien's shining heroes (and the best hero, technically) I'm afraid that Bill the Pony didn't affect me to change my lifestyle as much, and I have to place him below Mr. Bombadil.

The BotR book is quality, BTW. :D

Treebeard is cool, but the movies made him not as cool.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-22-2004, 02:08 AM
I remember Tom Bombadil from the books. He was a rather interesting character though, just... unnecessary.

Calliope
07-22-2004, 02:27 AM
In the movie, I preferred that King guy who ran off the tower screaming and on fire, and Treebeard, and the Ent that was on fire but went *swoosh* and put itself out, and of course the Boromir/Faramir "YOU ARE THE GOOD SON AND YOU ARE THE CRAPPY SON DIE NOW YOU BASTARD" scene was great.

Bookwise my favourites were Mr Bombadil, Mr of Arathorn, and Treebeard. SQUEE!

Dr Unne
07-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Tom Bombadil almost single-handedly caused me to stop reading LotR the first time I tried to read through it.

Doomgaze
07-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Because you were out in the woods trying to emulate him, right?

Bill the Pony is the SECOND best character. He's still great, though...

I guess third... well, not really from LotR, but Beorn. Because, you know, he could turn into a bear. And that's cool.

-N-
07-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Tom Bombadil almost single-handedly caused me to stop reading LotR the first time I tried to read through it.

Unne doesn't like him, so he has to be good. :D

fire_of_avalon
07-23-2004, 05:48 AM
Why doesn't anyone like Sam?! He's the embodiment of a hero. So much that his heroism is overlooked in the long run. Bill The Pony was no more than a sidekick! Yeah, I said it.

-N-
07-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Why doesn't anyone like Sam?! He's the embodiment of a hero. So much that his heroism is overlooked in the long run. Bill The Pony was no more than a sidekick! Yeah, I said it.

*bans* :D

kikimm
07-23-2004, 06:58 AM
bombadil was okay. always struck me as a little loopy, though. imo, bill was way better. can't believe he was only one scene of the entire movie. :mad2:

:D

Mr. Graves
07-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I never liked Bombadil, but he was better than, say, Wormtounge. I moved the story along, and he did help the hobbits out in the Barrowdowns, which was one of the scarier parts of LoTR. Shame that got cut out of the movie, but I guess it'd make no sense to have that part since Bombadil got cut too. Oh well.

He had purpose. He was in that SNES game, y'know? So was the Barrow-downs, for that matter.

kikimm
07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
He was in the ps2 game as well. There he REALLY scared me though.

:D

Silmaril
07-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Sam was the best character. For all the reasons above mentioned.
Then Gandalf.
then Aragorn.
Elves annoy me.

Trinity
07-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I like frodo the most but in the game I think I prefere aragorn.. but i love elfs