PDA

View Full Version : Never played Final Fantasy - With which game should I start?

FinalBob42
07-22-2004, 05:00 AM
I don't have a Playstation 2, but I can play all the PS1 and SNES games. I've heard people I know talk about FF for ages and am finally ready to check the games out myself.

As I understand it, there are the following games to choose from:
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
As well as (counting other Square RPGs):
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana

I'm really a complete noob when it comes to this Turb-Based/Real-Time mix. What would be the best game to get into Square RPGs?

-Thanks.

Glorious Peterloo
07-22-2004, 05:08 AM
IMO the easiest FF to start with is FF4, it is almost completely linear and the easytype (FF2 or FF4j easytype) is perfectly catered to the beginning RPGers needs (read: it plays like a story with little leveling required).

Doomgaze
07-22-2004, 05:09 AM
VI. Or Chrono Trigger, which is better than Final Fantasy for the most part.

Everyone's going to say VII, but don't listen to them.

...Better yet, screw Final Fantasy, go play Suikoden.

kikimm
07-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Hmm....well, my first one was 8, and that one seemed to pull me into the series right away. However, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT advise you to start with this one, as I only learned how to do all that junctioning hlfway through the first disc, where I was pretty much screwed, and had to start over.

So IV would be good, like Glorious Peterloo suggested. I would also say IX, because it was supposed to be a throwback to the old days, you get a feel of what FF was.

Whatever you do choose, you'll probably love---or I hope you do. Good luck, have fun!

:D

Doomgaze
07-22-2004, 06:29 AM
I assume by "XI" you meant "IX."

kikimm
07-22-2004, 06:32 AM
oh, yeah, oops. meh, i should just stick with the regular ol numbers. 9 is the one I meant.

:D

Mo-Nercy
07-22-2004, 08:32 AM
I'd start with Chrono Trigger. I think you'll find it an enjoyable experience also it's a pretty slow paced battle system that's not as hugely packed as other FF games (it's just Attack, Tech and Item)

Also, you can get Chrono Trigger pretty easily just by downloading a rom and emulator and it might be pretty hard to find FF7-9 these days (I suppose your friends can lend you them though.)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-22-2004, 09:33 AM
The actual list is:

FFI (FF Origins)
FFII (FF Origins)
FFIV (a.k.a. FFII on Super Nintendo, FF Chronicles)
FFV (FF Anthologies)
FFVI (a.k.a. FFIII on Super Nintendo, FF Anthologies)
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX

Or you could just play Xenogears and get FF later.

I started with IV (II) myself, it got me hooked.

Polaris
07-22-2004, 11:49 AM
7 then 9 then 8!

Ultima Shadow
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Actually, I think you should start with FFIX. I think that one's the best to start with.

metCloud
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I would say IX would be a great first FF. FFIX is an incredible game and isnt really that hard at all. I dont see how you could be disapointed with this one and should lead you to play more FF's like 6,7,10...heck maybe even 8 :rolleyes2 . Either 7 or 9 would be my picks but save FFVI(FF3-SNES) for later, the story and charactors will knowck your socks off.

Cz
07-22-2004, 01:48 PM
It all depends what you want from a game. If you're looking for straight-up gameplay (Hint: This is what you should be looking for. ;)) I'd go for FFI or V. If you're more bothered about story, FFVII, VIII or IX are the ones to go for.

If you want a balance, try FFIV or VI. These are the ones I'd recommend.

SpiritWolf
07-23-2004, 07:08 AM
I say you should start with FF IX

CloudSquallandZidane
07-23-2004, 07:41 AM
My first time was with a little package called Final Fantasy VIII.

Greatest FF ever complicated, even for experinced FF players but it makes all the other FFs seem easy. Plus it has the best graphics for the PSI

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2004, 10:28 AM
but it makes all the other FFs seem easy. Plus it has the best graphics for the PSI
Seriously, FFVIII is the easiest FF + doesn't FFIX have better graphics?
But, whatever.

Polaris
07-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Actually, I think you should start with FFIX. I think that one's the best to start with.

No way he woulg get scared with those characters!

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2004, 10:37 AM
No way he woulg get scared with those characters!
Well, I think it's easier to learn how FFIX works than how the FFVII materia system and FFVIII junctioning system works + I think he should play FFVII, FFVIII or FFIX before any of the older ones. Just my thougths...
But maybe you'r rigth... Queen Brahne is really scary.

metCloud
07-23-2004, 01:22 PM
... Queen Brahne is really scary.

:lol: :joey:

I dont know what game technically has better graphics but I like FFIX's graphics a whole lot more than FFVIII.

Sefie1999AD
07-23-2004, 02:25 PM
FFVI and FFIX might be good FFs to start with if you're planning to play the entire series. They have lots of traditional FF elements and a good, involving storyline. I think playing them can make people appreciate the earlier FFs better. However, if you just want to play good stand-alone games and don't care about the rest of the series, then play FFVII and possibly FFVIII. My personal suggestion would be to play FFIX. For more advice, check this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=47317&page=1&pp=30).

Giga Guess
07-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and risk getting flamed BIG TIME. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It's simple, it'll let you get the hang of looking for holes, and what not, it's remarkably linear, and the locations of all the items (Like the areas, not the specific locales) are all in the instruction book.

escobert
07-23-2004, 05:11 PM
VII. Best game of the series.

Giga Guess
07-23-2004, 05:32 PM
This is true. Best story. Best battle system. FFMQ helps just get the feet wet, y'know?

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2004, 05:47 PM
This is true. Best story. Best battle system. FFMQ helps just get the feet wet, y'know?
That's just a matter of opinion. I, myself think the classic FFIV-FFIX ATB is the best battle system + FFVII has the best story... just matter of opinion.

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 05:57 PM
FFVII is a bit too complicated for a complete newbie. Try FFIX. That has a medium difficulty and is very fun to the last drop.

Az Lionheart
07-23-2004, 06:16 PM
start with 9 it is so easy.
then go for 7+8 they rule(so does 10)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Actually, I'm going to suggest FF Chronicles (FFIV). System-wise, it's pretty simple since characters learn spells with levels and don't require any specific items (Materia, Espers, etc. etc.). Really, the only thing you have to worry about is keeping your characters with good weapons. Also, the game is fairly challenging (see: Having a party of mainly Wizards with crappy MP levels who can't do even decent attack damage for a good part of the game).

aeris2001x2
07-23-2004, 07:33 PM
FFVII is a bit too complicated for a complete newbie. Try FFIX. That has a medium difficulty and is very fun to the last drop.

but most ff fans before the old school joined via ffVII(and me) and i personally had no problems with it. not to mention it seems most ppl first ff becomes there fav so my bias says pick ffVII! LOL.

i would also recommend ffVI. imho 6 and 7 are the ff games apart from the rest that r even greater then genius. they are divine, they are so good they move the very heavens with there power.

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
but most ff fans before the old school joined via ffVII(and me) and i personally had no problems with it. not to mention it seems most ppl first ff becomes there fav so my bias says pick ffVII! LOL.Well my first FF was FFVIII but I still think FFVII is the best. I always think that the best FF for a newbie is the one that's the easiest to learn... maybe I'm underating the newbies intelligence?

i would also recommend ffVI. imho 6 and 7 are the ff games apart from the rest that r even greater then genius. they are divine, they are so good they move the very heavens with there power.
Couldn't have said it better myself...
But many of the FFs ARE divine while FFVI + FFVII is... well... the absolute most perfect creations of the universe. :D

FightClubFan#47
07-24-2004, 12:25 AM
hey. I've played final fantasy 7 and 8 and im gonna buy another one. wich one should i buy. oh and i have a ps2. and i put my question in this thread so i didnt have to start another one on the same subject.

SomethingBig
07-24-2004, 12:45 AM
then go for 7+8 they rule(so does 10)
Blasphemy! When you do get a PS2, or PS3, when it comes out, never get FFX. Man, I don't want you going on the dark-side. FFX epitomizes boring, linear gameplay! Don't do it, friend!

Ultima Shadow
07-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Don't listen to SomethingBig!!! H...h...he thinks FFX2 is better than FFX! :eek: *runs away to hide*
...then again, that's just a matter of opinion.

AuronSephiroth
07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
How can you h8 FFX? It's the best there is ah nevermind it doesn't matter do play FFX it's the best ever you'll be missing out on serious incredible Gameplay Final Fantasy X is my favourite game of all time.
But really It dont matter what you start with it's that you play Final Fantasy and begin becomming a huge fan of the series like me and probably everyone else :D

Az Lionheart
07-26-2004, 07:38 PM
How can you h8 FFX? It's the best there is ah nevermind it doesn't matter do play FFX it's the best ever you'll be missing out on serious incredible Gameplay Final Fantasy X is my favourite game of all time.
But really It dont matter what you start with it's that you play Final Fantasy and begin becomming a huge fan of the series like me and probably everyone else :D

i agree FFX kicks ass.
but is 2nd to FF8 :p

UltimateSpamGrover
07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
FFVIII and FFX are cool, and EoFF is the worst FF site in the history of time

(I'm being sarcastic you administrators and Cids Knights)

Wilder
08-04-2004, 06:42 AM
V is just the harder, VI is good to cath the main idea, VII is blasting can you deal with that ?,VIII is perfect to begin, IX is Easy , And X is entertaining. Choose.