PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in an online chess tournament?

Dingo Jellybean
07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure how this would work, but here's what I gather; Since Yahoo! doesn't allow me to set up my own tournament, I would have everyone play against their opposing seeds and I would have to watch every game. This would kind of be like an unofficial-official tournament. I was thinking of setting up a 16-seed (16 competitors) field, which rankings to be determined at random(with me being a 16th seed).

It's kind of difficult to do, but with some cooperation, I think it can work out. I would set the time and dates for each chess battle, and this would be like, a four day event. Post here if you're interested...if not...then oh well. :/ If there's not enough people, I can cut it down to a 12-seed tournament or an 8-seed tournament. The 12 seed tournament would span 4 days as well, with the 4 lower seeds having to play 2 games on the first day.

Rules are simple:

1) Know how to play chess at a decent level
2) If you're interested, provide your Yahoo name here(if possible, provide an AIM/MSN name so I can contact you live)
3) If you quit for any reason, other than disconnection, the opponent automatically qualifies for the next round

Prizes:

1) Title of EoFF's Best Chess Player!

Also, in case of a stalemate, the player with the "best" pieces will win. Here's my judge of pieces, feel free to argue and I'll consider re-ranking pieces:

1) Queen
2) Rook
3) Bishop
4) Knight
5) King
6) Pawn

So if a stalemate occurs, and if white only has a King, but black has a King, Queen, and a few pawns, then black will advance. If there is a total stalemate(that is, if all players have pieces of equal rank), then you'll have to play again. :\

So yeah...I'm just bored I guess, since summer classes will end tomorrow. :\

Rase
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm interested, but I'll have to set up a Yahoo! account and upgrade my AIM first.

Del Murder
07-23-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm game. I suck at chess though.

Erdrick Holmes
07-23-2004, 02:05 AM
I might play but I'd probably get beaten. I'm good but I make sucky moves sometimes.

Dingo Jellybean
07-23-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, at least there's 4 people. Now we need 12 more.

SpiritWolf
07-23-2004, 06:08 AM
I'll play in it

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 06:11 AM
I've won a few tournaments in my day, but I spend most of my days playing the same 2 people, and we're all fairly decent. I'll give it a go, but I'm not sure how well I do.

3) If you quit for any reason, other than disconnection, the opponent automatically qualifies for the next round
Thank God. Whoever plays me get ready for this. I'm disconnected quite a lot on this computer. On second thought, I'll go ahead and use my other computer for this thing. And just to mention, next week, I won't be available from 8-10:30 AM CST and from 1-1:45 PM CST. Band starts next week.

Jebus
07-23-2004, 06:15 AM
For future reference Dinog:

Queen - 9 pts
Rook - 5 pts
Knight - 3 pts
Bishop - 3 pts
Pawn - 1 pt

King isn't worth anything as once you lose the King you lose the game.

Anyway. I suck at chess, so I'm out.

-N-
07-23-2004, 06:24 AM
I'd be interested. I was quite the player, but I'm rusty and out of shape, so who knows. Let me know when and I'll see if I can make it. Or I'll just post here - not before 5 pm PDT on weekdays. :D

Dingo Jellybean
07-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Okay, minus Jeebs, that makes 8 people. We need another 8, to really make this feel like a tournament.

gammerguy2005
07-24-2004, 06:08 AM
i want in please

TasteyPies
07-24-2004, 02:12 PM
I are interested.

Keiths_inbox is meh yahoooooooo

Dingo Jellybean
07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Wakka just PMed me. That makes 10 contestants.

So yeah...nice. 6 more people...sign up you bastards.

Ultima Shadow
07-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Ah, I guess I could give it a try... if I knew what this Yahoo! thing is. :rolleyes2

Could anyone tell me more about that? I'm not very good at chess... at least I think so... but, whatever. :bow: :banana:

Dingo Jellybean
07-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Ah, I guess I could give it a try... if I knew what this Yahoo! thing is. :rolleyes2

Could anyone tell me more about that? I'm not very good at chess... at least I think so... but, whatever. :bow: :banana:

I'm surprised you don't know about Yahoo! Games.

http://games.yahoo.com

That's the website. You'll see that you can play against other Chess players online for free.

Ultima Shadow
07-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Ok... I've made an acount. ultimashadow2002. :D
Sorry, but I've never hear of Yhaoo! games before... strange, eh? :rolleyes2
I'm sure that I'm going to lose because I haven't played chess in like 1 year... so... yea. :rolleyes2

chichi
07-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm interested....but i'm not too good at chess. It sounds like fun though.

Dingo Jellybean
07-27-2004, 10:42 PM
That makes 12 people now...4 more...just four more!

Zeio
07-28-2004, 12:04 AM
I want to play as well