PDA

View Full Version : Me = in a car crash

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 02:37 AM
Tomorrow, I officially start driving. Yes, sir, I take my first driving lesson, tomorrow, at around 10:30 am. I say around because the instructor's coming to my house at 10, then he's taking me, and whoever else is coming, for our eye exams. Then it's driving heaven for us. Me? Scared?! HECKZ NO! I mean, yeah, I'm deathly afraid. My driver's ed. teacher was completely incompetent and didn't teach us anything, except for how to fear being behind the wheel. Seriously. All he did was show us videos of car crashes, the victims, and their brains that were literally splattered all over the road. That's what'll happen to me, tomorrow.

Topic? Uh... What was your first driving lesson like? Did you bond well with the instructor? Oh, that's another thing I'm afraid of. When I'm out on the road with just my instructor, I'm afraid that we won't have anything to talk about and I hate being in an enclosed space with someone and there's nothing but silence. I'd feel far too awkward to turn on the radio. What if he gets mad, shoots me, stuffs my mouth with grenades, then throws me out the window so the cows, maggots, and turtles can feed on my innards? :whaaa: I'm so scurred. :cry:

Anyway, wish me luck. This is probably my very last post on EoFF and I just wanted to say that I love you all! :cry: :cry: </semiexageratedrant>

Shoeberto
07-23-2004, 02:40 AM
My driving classes went well. Don't worry, it's easier than what you'd think.

Triple T
07-23-2004, 02:42 AM
You're over-reacting! xD Just don't think of the negative things that can happen and you'll be fine. And if that doesn't work... then nice knowing you. :p

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 02:51 AM
What if I have to sit next to an attractive female human in the back? I feel extremely strange in the presence of a pretty girl whom I've never met. What if he asks me to parallel park in a busy street? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PARALLEL PARK! What if he asks me to K-Turn in a very busy street and it takes me 10 minutes just to fail at it? BAH! Bah! BAAAAH!

Agent Proto
07-23-2004, 02:51 AM
My dad taught me how to drive. :D

Yrkoon
07-23-2004, 03:05 AM
its a lot easier than you think and dont worry about complex maneuvers as they teach u the basics first and build u up for certain stuff :)

Dr Unne
07-23-2004, 03:07 AM
If he asks you to parallel park on a busy street when you've never been behind the wheel before, then it's not your fault if you wreck his car, which you almost certainly will. My first driving lesson consisted of riding the brake around a parking lot. Anything much more than that is too much for a first lesson.

ZeZipster
07-23-2004, 03:07 AM
You don't need a car, just get a lawn mower.

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 03:09 AM
All of my friends were out on the highway on their first lesson. That's what's nagging at me, at the moment.

Shoeberto
07-23-2004, 03:09 AM
During my driving training, I never had to parallel park. But then again, I went through an independant business and not through a school, and they seemed to be more focused on knowing the road and being able to be an aware driver rather than parking.

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Did you have to K-Turn?

Denmark
07-23-2004, 03:32 AM
my first lesson was taught by me mommy. did I bond with her?

Shlup
07-23-2004, 03:33 AM
I think most of my friends failed the first time they took their driving test. :p Not me though!

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 04:00 AM
I got an 84 on the written test. I'm just going for lessons, which will be the death of me. Well, I'm getting off for the night. You're all invited to my funeral.

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 04:03 AM
Let's see..my first lesson was residential, if I'm not too mistaken. I just drove around in a rich part of town for awhile. Driving is not hard at all, really. I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't think I did anything wrong. I didn't speed. Make sure not to speed on your lessons. You'll have plenty of time for that after you get your license.

I made an 88/90 on the driving test, a 100 on the written.

Ouch!
07-23-2004, 04:15 AM
I start taking driving lessons in the fall as I don't have time this summer.

I've driven my dad's care short distances before, and I'm so rigid when I do it. I slam on the breaks every so often, so hard that the car shakes back and forth. I can't keep a smooth pace 'cause I fear I'll crash into something.

Then again, I can't wait 'til I can drive myself around instead of having to rely on my parents.

kikimm
07-23-2004, 04:41 AM
I don't think i'm exactly 'mature' enough to start driving. That's why I haven't pursued taking lessons at all. I don't think i'm old enough to even start taking lessons. I'm a couple months younger than all my friends, who have all started taking lessons, one even driving.

I'm really scared. Not to make you any more scared than you already are, but I'm really afraid that I'll screw everything up. You know when you get to the light, and you have to stop behind a car? I'm afraid that if I try to do that, then I'll stop too late, and then smash into the other car. Plus I'm sort of short ( 5'2) , so I have a hard time seeing. People have suggested getting a 'seat', but that would be the death of me. I would never hear the end of that.

I want to drive, and get away from from everything, but I'm to freaked out to do anything about it yet.

All that said, good luck.:) You'll probably be just fine, as evryone's usually nervous when they do something like this, and then have it turn out to be no big deal. You'll pass, don't worry.

:D

fire_of_avalon
07-23-2004, 04:45 AM
What's a K-turn?

I was on the highway my first time "really" driving as well. It wasn't such a bad experience. And we did parallel parking with cones in a parking lot, not in real life.

-N-
07-23-2004, 05:45 AM
I was an absolute beginner my first driving lesson. The instructor is human - he or she will respond to your skill level and determine what you can and can't do appropriately. That's why they have that job, y'know. Relax, man.

chichi
07-23-2004, 06:51 AM
I was terrified before I got behind the wheel of a car for the first time, but once I started driving it was fine because I realized it was actually pretty easy. The instructor won't make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing or aren't ready to do. Honestly, there is really nothing to it SomethingBig. You'll be fine. Let us know how you go.

Giga Guess
07-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Relax. I too was among the few that were completely terrified of the workings of the automotive life. But I found out just how easy it is. My tip? Play conservatively. Caution hasn't killed nearly as many as recklessness has. Not to say you should crive on the shoulder doing 20 with the blinkers on, but just....be careful. And remember. Paralell parking is the devil, but once you master it for the test....you'll probably almost never use it again. Kind of like algebra, no?

Rainecloud
07-23-2004, 07:32 AM
I started driving not so long ago, and to be perfectly honest, it's not something I enjoy. However, it isn't overly-difficult by any means, and I guarantee that after a few lessons, you'll feel in control of the car. Your instructor won't do anything to put you in danger, and you must always remember that he/she has dual controls. If you do anything dangerous, he/she will stop you immediately.

Try to enjoy your lessons, even if you are really nervous. Hell, it's good to be nervous, as it shows that you know that there are dangers associated with driving. Some people just get in a car and drive off at 50 miles an hour without a care in the world.

gokufusionss1
07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
my dad gave me my first driving lesson, after stalling the car 8 times in a row i finaly got going only to stall it at the first junction, then i hit a cone scraping the paint of his car. He wouldn't teach me again.

Polaris
07-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Tomorrow, I officially start driving.

:whaaa:

Run away! :chuckle: okay I was kidding!

Anyway, wish me luck. This is probably my very last post on EoFF and I just wanted to say that I love you all! :cry: :cry: </semiexageratedrant>

Oh no!!!! :whimper: Well good Luck! :kiss:

Meat Puppet
07-23-2004, 01:43 PM
I got like 19/20 on the written test or something. After that I got my friend to give me lessons, and he told me what the driving inspectors looked for. Not running over RC cars, unfortunately for me.

square_is_the_best
07-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Playing lots of racing games has made me very confident in my driving. My friends are also good but they seem to be in love with the wall. I'm taking the written test next week. Of course, I haven't driven a foot in any real car yet so I don't know what its like.

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 05:41 PM
WOW, driving is the most exhilarating thing ever. Even though I clutched the wheel like a crocadile would its prey, it was such an incredible experience. I got to drive around for 2 hours and, by God, it was inexplicably fun. Wow. Just wow. I made a couple of errors, but during the last 20 or so minutes, I started to get the hang of it. Turning was a female dog, when I started, but then I got the hang of it. It started to really pour, so I was afraid of hydroplaning. I think one person honked at me and I'm sure that these guys started laughing at me when they passed by in their car. I cannot wait 'til my next lesson(which is on Monday).

What's a K-turn?
It's also known as the 3-point turn. You're on the side of the road, and, to turn around, you go left, turn your steering wheel all the way to the right, go in reverse, then go left, and you should be facing the other way.

Rainecloud
07-23-2004, 05:43 PM
I knew you'd like it.

Altogether now: "We told you so!"

SomethingBig
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Exactly how hard is parallel parking?

Thanks, everyone, for your support. Group hug?

Triple T
07-23-2004, 09:06 PM
WOW, driving is the most exhilarating thing ever. Even though I clutched the wheel like a crocadile would its prey, it was such an incredible experience. I got to drive around for 2 hours and, by God, it was inexplicably fun. Wow. Just wow. I made a couple of errors, but during the last 20 or so minutes, I started to get the hang of it. Turning was a female dog, when I started, but then I got the hang of it. It started to really pour, so I was afraid of hydroplaning. I think one person honked at me and I'm sure that these guys started laughing at me when they passed by in their car. I cannot wait 'til my next lesson(which is on Monday).

Congratulations! You didn't die!! *hides tombstone* :D

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Exactly how hard is parallel parking?
Meh. I didn't have too much trouble with it, and I did it with REAL CARS my first time. No need to say I was scared out of my mind. But it wasn't that hard, and it was a year ago that I did it. I've had my license now for about 2 months, and I've never parellel parked.

square_is_the_best
07-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Hah. I don't need to know how to parallel park. I live in Nashville. Ahhh...The joys of not living in New York, or in the Tri-state area.

chichi
07-25-2004, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=SomethingBig]WOW, driving is the most exhilarating thing ever. Even though I clutched the wheel like a crocadile would its prey, it was such an incredible experience. I got to drive around for 2 hours and, by God, it was inexplicably fun. Wow. Just wow. I made a couple of errors, but during the last 20 or so minutes, I started to get the hang of it. Turning was a female dog, when I started, but then I got the hang of it. It started to really pour, so I was afraid of hydroplaning. I think one person honked at me and I'm sure that these guys started laughing at me when they passed by in their car. I cannot wait 'til my next lesson(which is on Monday).

Yay!!! Told you you'd be fine! Now you can look forward to the freedom of not having to rely on your parents to drive you around. Congrats. :)

Silmaril
07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Congratulations!
I swear my sister drove today while with me in the car and I was really terrified. Kept thinking if i should or should not jump out.

escobert
07-25-2004, 04:55 PM
If I can drive anyone can! :p

Giga Guess
07-25-2004, 04:56 PM
:D Fair enough.

SomethingBig
07-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Yay!!! Told you you'd be fine! Now you can look forward to the freedom of not having to rely on your parents to drive you around. Congrats. :)
Heh, well, I still have to drive with my parents in the car.

Silmaril, may God be with you.

Giga Guess
07-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Silmaril, you are one brave soul. 50,000 Giga points if you survive another trip...;)