PDA

View Full Version : Post counter

Polyonymous
07-23-2004, 07:33 AM
i have noticed that there is no post counter. In my opinion the post counter doesnt promote spamming and i think it actually makes the message board more fun. I have been on other messag boards where if you spam you will have your post counter sent to 0 or banned for continual spaming, i think you should give the post counters another shot at least for a little while. And if it dosnt work out you can always take them off. please take this into consideration.

Rainecloud
07-23-2004, 07:35 AM
It's a case of "Been there and done that", unfortunately. I, for one, don't mind post counts, but they do promote spamming, regardless of how they are used. Since we decided to get rid of post counts a couple of years ago, things have been much nicer around here, as I'm sure the Knights will agree. Besides, people come here for discussion, not to see their post counter rise.

Nice suggestion, though. :)

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Plus, in ANY kind of situation, I could all be like "Shut up, Rainecloud, my post count is higher than yours." And rest assured, I <i>would</i>. So don't do it, for the sake of everyone else, and me.

Shlup
07-23-2004, 08:15 AM
We've been over this around here a lot of times. I kind of like post counts, but I'm outnumbered. :p

People often argue that post counts aren't accurate anyway, since the board was reincarnated a couple times and old posts get pruned.

Doomgaze
07-23-2004, 08:18 AM
SILENCE! Post counts are useful to us as a scapegoat to distract the public from their REAL problems, like our crippling newbie shortage, and a corrupt government of incompetent Cid's Knights.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-23-2004, 09:15 AM
It has been my experience that post counts promote childish competitiveness. I know two guys on boards I posted on (or own, in the second case) who actually used their admin power to augment their post count so that it'd be higher than my own (I was the highest poster on both forums). Tell me that's not counterproductive.

Citizen Bleys
07-23-2004, 10:55 AM
How about we just ban everybody who cares about post counts?

TasteyPies
07-23-2004, 11:50 AM
There is a post count.

Just go into someones profile and click the little "All posts by this dude" thing.

I am happy to say that I have 1030 1031 posts.....BAM!
Can't I have a custom rank now? :eek:

Citizen Bleys, you sly dawg, you have over 2000! so does Shlupquack!

RSL
07-23-2004, 12:25 PM
That isn't accurate either, TastyPies. Everytime the board is pruned, posts are lost.

Loony BoB
07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah. All that really matters is that I have the highest post count at all times, and I do right now (by just shy of 2000 posts), so all is well with the world. Once you come down to it, the fact that I post a lot in the Site Staff forums is what gives me my huge edge. If you want to compete with me, you have to do a lot of work. It's true, it's true. And I only just found this out now! I thought I hadn't been posting much lately. Guess I was wrong. Oh well.

But yeah, as RSL said, post counts actually don't mean jack. I don't care if they're put back or not, but I also think it would have just as many downsides as it would upsides. If not more. Then there's the politics involved with resetting post counts, and people get all snarky, and we have to shoot them. :(

HOOTERS
07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I bet everybody who doesnt want post counts would want post counts if you could click a button and the count read your post count out for you. :smash:

Vun hundred and tventy vun! :count:

Baloki
07-23-2004, 03:42 PM
:count:

<3

I bet everybody who doesnt want post counts would want post counts if you could click a button and the count read your post count out for you. :smasher:

Vun hundred and tventy vun! :count:

Wouldn't we all :moomba: :D

metCloud
07-23-2004, 06:32 PM
How about we just ban everybody who cares about post counts?

^^^^

I hate post counters with a passion...Never leads to good so why bother. If you stick around long enough you will know how people post and who is a vet. and all. The custom rank thing kicks post counters a%$!

Shlup
07-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Citizen Bleys, you sly dawg, you have over 2000! so does Shlupquack!I have barely over 3000. If they were accurate, Bleys and I would both have easily over 10000. :p

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I doubt that I have more posts than some of the people that I'm supposedly "ahead" of.

Yamaneko
07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
It doesn't matter how many posts you have, but when you registered. So a person like Raistlin who barely even posts can still have some cred... wait, bad example.

Citizen Bleys
07-23-2004, 09:42 PM
I have barely over 3000. If they were accurate, Bleys and I would both have easily over 10000. :p

And RSL would own everybody. So let's all just SHUT THE TROUT UP.

Shlup
07-23-2004, 09:48 PM
And RSL would own everybody. So let's all just SHUT THE TROUT UP.That's it!

*makes Bleys an appointment for a rectal exam*

Next Tuesday be there at 8:00am for your ass-stick-ectomy.

Baloki
07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
And RSL would own everybody. So let's all just SHUT THE TROUT UP.

OMG hes becoming Unne *runs*

07-23-2004, 10:36 PM
well, I for one think that post counters are aweosme..they help seperate the REAL members from the newbs who only come in from time to time....also, is it really that hard to just set spammers post to 0 or ban them?

Shlup
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I disagree that it makes it easy to tell "real" members from people who don't post enough. Some people who post a lot are a pain in the ass, and some who haven't posted a lot are awesome. We want people to be judged on the quality of their posts, not the quantity.

Citizen Bleys
07-23-2004, 11:20 PM
OMG hes becoming Unne *runs*

I think not. I may be similar to Unne in a lot of ways, but I'll never give up drinking, swearing, or being Canadian. Never.

m4tt
07-23-2004, 11:28 PM
We want people to be judged on the quality of their posts, not the quantity.

Yup yup, that's how I feel.

07-23-2004, 11:37 PM
well, I disagree can't you just ban the people who can't handle the responsibility of holding a post counter?

Shlup
07-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Yes, we can. That's not the issue.

07-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Yes, we can. That's not the issue.

well, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to change your forum or sound like a jack-ass but just trying to give out different points of view...

TasteyPies
07-24-2004, 12:07 AM
I remember a small forum where I and another member ran our post counts up verry high just to see the ranks...thats when the admin got angry and started making the higher up ones "ugly troll" and the such...thats when I stoped pharming topics...but my buddy didn't.. he soon had around 4000 posts and thats when the admin closed the forums all together. So..i'm satisfied with the "find all posts by this dude" option.

It seems like almost every forum I join falls to crap...
(in order)

:cry: www.newgrounds.com/forums was crap when I started...just peoplecalling each other ghey and OMG u r teh suk! my post is 300! yersis 67!

;) www.eyesonff.com I left after a month..can't remember why I just lost interest.

:cry: www.blackdragonsbors.com dosn't exist anymore (admin closed it)

:cry: http://gamesedge.conforums.com is now deserted

;) www.eyesonff.com came back and it has yet to go downhill

:eep: www.toonamiinfolink.com started going here a month or so ago...pretty slow paced, not alot of members

07-24-2004, 12:39 AM
well, I am currently in two forums both seem promising...

Del Murder
07-24-2004, 01:40 AM
We want people to be judged on the quality of their posts, not the quantity.
Or not judged at all...

I don't care about the post counts, but I can see how they would do more bad than good. Some people make posts saying 'this post is just to raise my post count' or 'postcount++' or something equally annoying. I'd rather take away the feature than keep it and ban people who abuse it. Less banning and work that way.

Citizen Bleys
07-24-2004, 01:47 AM
well, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to change your forum or sound like a jack-ass but just trying to give out different points of view...

See, the problem with that different point of view is that it's wrong.

Dr Unne
07-24-2004, 01:51 AM
The problem with enabling post counts again is that I would be forced to kill you all and dance upon the ashes of your burning corpses. I'm exaggerating, but just barely.

m4tt
07-24-2004, 01:54 AM
That would be pretty neat to see!

07-24-2004, 02:07 AM
well, I guess that it's good we don't have post counters becasue people would think tha I am writing this post to raise it...

FFIX Master is a BALLON head!

Shlup
07-24-2004, 02:27 AM
Or not judged at all...Suck it, commie.

Raistlin
07-24-2004, 03:45 AM
I think not. I may be similar to Unne in a lot of ways, but I'll never give up drinking, swearing, or being Canadian. Never.
Unne got drunk at tGA. Does that count?

Oh, and I don't give a damn about post counts. The only reason they're enabled at tGA is because I have absolutely nothing against banning everyone, and I think it's just a tad bit overzealous to get rid of them completely. I'd bet anything that Britt loved the idea. :p

crono_logical
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=38129

I didn't notice before, but time to make fun :monster:

Flying Mullet
07-29-2004, 03:25 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=38129

I didn't notice before, but time to make fun :monster:
Why not create a spam forum where post counts are recorded and added to and the first one to reach 1000 posts becomes a mod?

Citizen Bleys
07-29-2004, 03:40 PM
I forgot about that little document. And I really did want a Swearing Oldbies' Anime Forum, too.

-N-
07-30-2004, 06:54 AM
Why not create a spam forum where post counts are recorded and added to and the first one to reach 1000 posts becomes a mod?

I remember the days of postcount++. Wait, that was after postcounts got set to zero... I need to do that more often - spamming about Hungry Hungry Hippos gets a little hackneyed after a while.

escobert
07-30-2004, 07:03 AM
we need b back :p

Casey
08-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Post counts dont bring anything to the table, its all about the quality of your posts. Besides people begin to get all stuck up over a lousy number. :rolleyes2 Just speaking from being from several different forums.