PDA

View Full Version : There's only one Proto.

Agent Proto
07-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Yes, how would it feel if another member registers with a Proto in their screen name, and prefers to be called Proto? Or in fact, how would you feel about members with similar names in general? In fact, this is a Final Fantasy board, so there's bound to be countless Rinoas, Squalls, Clouds, Sephiroths, and other character names, but there are countless of original names like Xander, or some people are lucky to be lesser favorites like Gau, and Ansem.

Anyway this thread asks two questions. You're to answer one or both.

A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell's Fists of Fury, Zell69)

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? (e.g. as of now Agent Proto is the only known Proto, but someone registers as Proto Man and likes to be called by Proto)

Kirobaito
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Hmmm...good topic, although I never really get confused by all the different FF Characters' names because I refuse to acknowledge that they exist. :)

One of the reasons I changed from King Bahamut to Kirobaito was to prevent such a thing. Bahamut2000X and Eternal Bahamut were also here, so I figured that I should change, and after I hogged Arche's e2j/j2e thing long enough, I found Kirobaito (Kilobyte, or KB, in Japanese). Of course, nobody really called me Bahamut, they called me KB, but still...:grover:

A) Nah. I don't acknowledge their existence.

B) Well, there's only one Japanese word similar to Kirobaito, and that's errr...never mind, I won't go into that.

Triple T
07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell69)

This doesn't really confuse me. Unless people start calling other members by letter(example: Sita Atis = SA or rikkuyuna89= RY)

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? (e.g. as of now Agent Proto is the only known Proto, but someone registers as Proto Man and likes to be called by Proto)

I dunno exactly. That never really happened to me... how do you make a new name out of "Triple T" anyway? :p

Breine
07-23-2004, 09:27 PM
I'll just answer them both :)

1) Well. yeah. Sometimes I feel really confused because of all the similar names (All the Final Fantasy ones), but I'll manage. It's not that I don't like them, people are just paying some kind of respect (If you can say that) to a character they hold dear. It's okay by me... totally.

2) Hmm, I don't know. Maybe a little anoyed because maybe people would confuse me with that other person, but I don't think it's possible because of different signatures, avatars and personalities.

TasteyPies
07-23-2004, 09:28 PM
If someone named themself Tastey tart, I would be honered, then complain the next fewdays because soemone stole my name.

Logan
07-23-2004, 09:29 PM
A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? Sometimes, but not usually.

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? I'd have to beat them. Or not. I wouldn't care. There's only one me :D

Yamaneko
07-23-2004, 09:29 PM
There's a technician in Deus Ex named "Xander". :D

A) Nah.

B) Yamenko

Rainecloud
07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I'll just answer one, then...

A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell69)

Yes, I do. Final Fantasy names followed by random numbers seem to be commonplace, and they don't add any individuality to the member. Unusual and creative names are much better, as they give you more of a unique look. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having Final Fantasy related names, so long as you feel that you can express your individuality without being confused with another EoFF member.

Citizen Bleys
07-23-2004, 09:38 PM
If someone else registered under the name "Bleys," I'd beat them to a bloody pulp, that's what I'd do.

Shlup
07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
You forgot to list a very important one for question A! Here, I will add it for you! *does so*

1) Yes. Damn them.
2) I would enter the witness protection program.

Shoeberto
07-23-2004, 10:00 PM
a) I get more confused from text colors and avatars. Sometimes I'll see people using the EoFF default avatars and think it's someone that used to use it back before everyone was allowed to have a custom one.

b) It used to bug me, but it's not much of an occurance these days.

Baloki
07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Someone has been going round other forums using my name (Baloki) and if I ever, EVER find out who they are (And they've nicked Baloki Noar as well) I will personally kill them using their own intestines!

-N-
07-23-2004, 10:48 PM
You'd think people would register with something like my handle more often. But they don't. :D

SeeDRankLou
07-23-2004, 10:51 PM
1. Usually, yes.
2. I honestly don't know.

It has recently gotten interesting though, people have started calling me SRL (possible typing laziness, or possibly friendly nickname....maybe both). And now everytime I see that I have to do a double take because I think I'm seeing RSL, who is a different person. And now that Baloki has renamed himself DSL, it's just all messed up. I think he did that purposefully to spite either me or RSL, or both. (I'm so joking) :tongue: :love:

Rye
07-23-2004, 10:53 PM
That's happened to me when I was Rikkuyuna89. Someone had a name so similar to mine that someone actually thought it was my birthday when it was really the other person's. It was kind of annoying.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-23-2004, 10:56 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ZELL'S FISTS OF FURY IS DEAD STOP BRINGING IT UP.

:)

Psychotic
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
1) No
2) There's like, 7 or 8 other members with Psy or something like it at the start of it. I don't really care about it. :elk:

Shlup
07-23-2004, 11:02 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ZELL'S FISTS OF FURY IS DEAD STOP BRINGING IT UP.

:)Just because you say it's dead doesn't make it so. :<3:

Cloud_99
07-23-2004, 11:29 PM
a little somthing from Rainecloud: :)
Yes, I do. Final Fantasy names followed by random numbers seem to be commonplace, and they don't add any individuality to the member.

Err... Oi. Mine's an FF name followed by a random number and I don't think that just because you don't have an original or quirky screen name you're any less individual. I don't think you can judge how individual a person is by their screen name. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick and if I have I'm sorry.

ok on to the topic at hand:

a) Nah it's all good with different Avatars, fonts, banners and personalities I find it very hard to get people mixed up just because of screen names.

b) It's unavoidable for me. But if someone came along and called themselves cloud99 I'd be pretty pissed off. But meh. :D

Dingo Jellybean
07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Fortunately for me, there's only one Dingo Jellybean on the net. In all the years I've been online and the numerous communities and websites and search engines...all Dingo Jellybean traces go back to me.

Erdrick Holmes
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I'd kill him!! :skull:

RSL
07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Hmm, there's somebody going by DSL these days which is pretty close to my name. I guess that I don't really care.

CloudDragon
07-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Everyone seems to think my name refers to Cloud from FFVII, well it doesn't. I made a sig that explained my name for itself once.

PhoenixAsh
07-24-2004, 12:24 AM
I changed from Phoenix 17 because someone had a name like Phoenix 179 or something like that, AND had the same avatar as me. I like Phoenix's and don't use the name because of Final Fantasy so I stick with it. Plus now mine has a bit more uniqueness. It did get odd when I couldn't tell if people were talking about me or TheAbominatrix when they said Ash though.

Anyway

a) No

b) Give my name has two parts it'd only be annoying if someone registered with BOTH parts, otherwise meh.

Dr Unne
07-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Other people only register the name Unne in order to call me a homosexual, so life is grand.

ZeZipster
07-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I use ZeZipster because Zipster was taken at really big places. I could have used Retspiz, I like that one also.

square_is_the_best
07-24-2004, 12:32 AM
1. Not really. They are usually the ones who don't regularly get on. Wait I think I'm onto something....
Members whose name consist of a charecter from Final Fantasy preceded or followed by random numbers and/or letters are USUALLY not regular members.
Ahh....the next greatest discovery.

2. I doubt I'd have that problem. And if I did, I'd annoy the guy so much, I'll either A)make him cahnge his name or get a new account, B)drive him out of this forum, or C) drive him out of his mind. :D

SomethingBig
07-24-2004, 12:41 AM
A) There are around 3 members that have "Shiva" in their name and I sometimes get them mixed up.

B) I'd challenge the name-stealer to a duel. I am the only big person allowed on this forum.

Mr. Graves
07-24-2004, 01:15 AM
If a person registered under a name with 'Graves' in it, and only hung out in the non-FF forums, I'd probaby leave for a month.

...then come back to see if anyone noticed that it wasn't me. xD

Citizen Bleys
07-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Other people only register the name Unne in order to call me a homosexual, so life is grand.

Always thinking of yourself, you are.

Del Murder
07-24-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't know what I would do if another Del ever registered here. :(

m4tt
07-24-2004, 01:56 AM
Hey guys, you can call me Proto.

Mo-Nercy
07-24-2004, 02:00 AM
a) Griever Lionheart and Lionheart Griever confuse the hell outta me. Now I just treat them as if they were the same person. Same applies to all other similar names.

b) I figure eventually someone will register with the name No Mercy, as that handles used pretty often online but I won't feel much about it as Mo-Nercy³ is just ever so original. :eep:

Agent Proto
07-24-2004, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, you can call me Proto.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

CloudySky
07-24-2004, 02:04 AM
I usually don't care a bit about nicks. I myself use so many of them... If someone would register with too similar nick, that would be a small problem, but still nobody uses my avatar, so I don’t care really.

m4tt
07-24-2004, 02:09 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Mission accomplished. :D

Now I wait for 6 months.

Anyway, like Jeff said in the first post. Nobody likes Gau, so I get lucky.

Meat Puppet
07-24-2004, 02:18 AM
I wish someone would register here called Meat Head, so people here would cease calling me it. I think. :'(

Meow
07-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Lordy, we can only guess what'll happen next.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-24-2004, 02:56 AM
*changes name to Gau*

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
07-24-2004, 03:26 AM
A) Nah not really...

B) Most likely not...imean there some people that have the word eternal on their name but heck who cares....but to have the EXACT name and call it their own might be a different story

all in all...it doesnt matter really....

Raistlin
07-24-2004, 04:23 AM
I don't know what I would do if another Del ever registered here. :(
I know what you'd do, Led.

Oh, and it's been done for me. It happened at FFWA, when someone registered as "Raistlin Majere" had the audacity to join the Beer Crusade, of which I was a founding member. It happened here at EoFF too. Though it was during one of my absences and after the board had crashed(a common occurence in those days) and all the memberlist wiped, so he registered as "Raistlin" and, apparently, everyone except for BOU was like, "Hey, Raist's back!"(according to BOU, of course) And then either his account was deleted, his name changed, or the board crashed again because I registered as Raistlin a couple of months later and everyone said, "Is it really you this time?"

*deep breath*

None of those wannabe Raistlin's ever stuck around, though. I guess it'd be kinda weird if one of them did. That or I'd tear out their heart and sacrifice it on the altar.

fire_of_avalon
07-24-2004, 04:25 AM
thunder_of_avalon? Unlikely. Now somebody go do it.

bennator
07-24-2004, 04:42 AM
I sometimes get confused by similar names, and I wouldn't care if there was another bennator something or other.

o_O
07-24-2004, 05:04 AM
I have yet to see another person with a face as their name. Except for some guy on EfNet, who calls himself {v_v}, but he doesn't count. :p
I suppose the closest name to mine anyone is likely to register would be one in which they prefer to be called "Face".
I guess that would be a slight annoyance, because it really hard to know whether somebody is confused, or talking to me when they use "o_O" in a sentence.

HOOTERS
07-24-2004, 05:29 AM
B) Somebody else has a boobie nickname? Smilies could not express how much joy that would make me feel.

Except maybe this one :excited:

disapointedchild
07-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Mines unique in more ways than one, because I cant spell, but I have grow to love it.

And if any one of you edgimacated people take my name and spell it as intended by that websters dictionary, I would be glad, cause then I would know how its actually spelled.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Disappointed Child

Loony BoB
07-24-2004, 07:00 AM
It'd never happen. Not so much the name thing, but more so them getting confused with me. There have been a dozen or so Bob's, but the second capital B makes all the difference.

DMKA
07-24-2004, 07:06 AM
A) Nope, but its rare that worth while members stick with those names (though some do), so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to them, plus I usually pay more attention to avatars for some reason.

B) It might bug me a little bit, though I've NEVER met anyone with my username(devilmaykickass) or one even similar to it...and some people have an odd reaction to it. Its kinda a n00bish name I suppose, and it is a tad 'controversial' here on EoFF (it even got changed while I was away once). I did have my name changed once, but I quickly wnet back to this one, and I now have a name I'm considering but I fear getting tired of it quickly again, and I don't wanna be a bugger.

Yamaneko
07-24-2004, 07:09 AM
It'd never happen. Not so much the name thing, but more so them getting confused with me. There have been a dozen or so Bob's, but the second capital B makes all the difference.
It sure does Bob, it sure does.

Rusty
07-24-2004, 07:33 AM
A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell's Fists of Fury, Zell69)

Sometimes, but not usually.

I'd feel annoyed that they stole my name. There is only one Rusty and that is me. I'd probably harass them to change there name :)

black orb
07-24-2004, 08:20 AM
>>> I doubt someone wants to put a random color and finish it with orb, dark orb looks pretty simitar though..
BTW, Zell's Fists of Fury = Best name ever.. Same with cidrocks=genius, AlexFFXBlitzKing, Sephiroth_Lionhear88, SephyChanKawaii0342, Rinoa_angelofdarknes, etc.. yeah I love these sorts of names..

Kirkpatrick
07-24-2004, 08:47 AM
I get much more confused by name changes (Rye = Rikkuyuna89!? Didn't know untiil this thread, same with SRL Not being a typo of RSL, didn't know Kirobaito was Kind Bahamut until like two days ago :p) , but yeah, sometimes too many of the FF## names get confusing.

If somebody else registered with a similar name, I don't think I'd mind very much, and it's not like a post enough to cause confusion :p.

Iceglow
07-24-2004, 03:33 PM
well there's plenty of people with Angel in their name but theres only one Fallen_angel_666 on any forum I go on (why there arent other fallen angels marked on them I dont know after all there are 36 variations of the fallen_angel_666 hotmail address the original belonging to me several years back not currently in use for personal reasons) Does it bother me though that there are members with names like ZellsFallenAngel? no not really as long as there doesnt exist a Fallen_Angel666 or something like that cause that would be annoying. I guess I am a pretty unique SN on this forum too YAY :D

Rye
07-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I get much more confused by name changes (Rye = Rikkuyuna89!? Didn't know untiil this thread, same with SRL Not being a typo of RSL, didn't know Kirobaito was Kind Bahamut until like two days ago :p) , but yeah, sometimes too many of the FF## names get confusing.

If somebody else registered with a similar name, I don't think I'd mind very much, and it's not like a post enough to cause confusion :p.

I am this close to changing the text in my sig to "Rikkuyuna89 = Rye." xD

And same with me when KB changed his name.

EDIT: These name changes are really confusing me. :cry:

Meow
07-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Quickly now, someone should seize this unique opportunity for comic hilarity and change their name to "Del Chowder."

Cz
07-24-2004, 07:00 PM
1. If two people who are new, or post little have similar names then I might have trouble telling them apart. But most members have different personalities/writing styles, which makes them easier to tell apart.

2. I guess if another Czanthor registered, I'd alter the spelling to make my own name different. Originally, I planned to make my name more complex as the months went on (Zanthor, Czanthor, Czanthorr etc.) until I ended up with something like Sczannethorrr, but then I noticed that Czanthor looked better than anything else I could come up with, so I stuck with that. Still, if another person with a similar name were to show up, I'd put that plan into action and re-establish my individuality.

Old Manus
07-24-2004, 07:23 PM
a) Yes. Its a conspiracy.
b) Anyone who has a name like mine will be force-fed poison.

Baloki
07-24-2004, 10:50 PM
And now everytime I see that I have to do a double take because I think I'm seeing RSL, who is a different person. And now that Baloki has renamed himself DSL, it's just all messed up. I think he did that purposefully to spite either me or RSL, or both.

D = Danel <3 Booby, even if he loves hooters more :(

escobert
07-24-2004, 10:56 PM
I wish I had kept Bert :( oh well if someone were to name themselves like me I wouldn't really care. I may complain or something but deep down I wouldn't care.

EDIT: (Really deep down)

square_is_the_best
07-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm being more confused by gau/spaceman spiff than those other names. I never expected Spaceman Spiff to become a Cid's knight. ;)

Maxico
07-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Well I dont think thats gonna happen, unless theres a mexico.

And I think I would be as mad I was when I found out that www.maxico.com (http://www.maxico.com) was taken by a company that produces... washing machines...
man I wanna kill them.

Giga Guess
07-25-2004, 02:34 AM
No other Guesses in here. Wierd when you think about it, with the quantity of smartasses out there.