PDA

View Full Version : Im making a game! YAY! ^_^

starlet
07-24-2004, 03:06 PM
My boyfrien, our friend Joe and I are making a game...Joes the programer, My bf is doing sprites and he came up with the original Idea and Im doing main character design... I thought maybe I should post a couple of sprites and I have one main character on the computer but its just a sketch of the swordmaster. The game itself is a stratagy game and you have to take over the world basically. But anyways, Time for pics!

The first one is the swordmaster sketch and the other three are sprites for the three classes of the solder; a unit you can buy in the game .

Edit: OK I got my units mixed up...the first sprite is the human soldier 3rd class....the other 2 are skeleton soldier class 1 and 2 I think...

Ultima Shadow
07-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey, looks nice. :)

nik0tine
07-25-2004, 05:55 AM
pretty cool. keep us posted on the progress of your game.

Lord Chainsaw
07-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Here's the advice I can offer: Don't make the second-last boss harder than the last boss. I've seen many a game ruined by the second last boss.

I HATE it when games do that. If it's going to be a final boss, it should be the most challenging boss in the game. I plan on having all my skills and everything I've learned in the game put up to the test. I was heartbroken when I played Ghosts N Goblins. Astaroth was so easy it was a damn shame really. The guy dies in what, 10 seconds? After I went through 3-4 hours of 5 hellish levels I get to a guy that kicks the bucket in 10 seconds?

If you can't tell, I'm obsessed with bosses and HP. My favorite part of a video game is, believe it or not, boss HP.

I recommend you give your bosses a lot of HP. Boss fights shouldn't be over in 3 minutes. They shouldn't be 15 minutes of the player pounding the attack button until the mofo finally keels over either. A nice balance is pretty much all I ask for in a game.

Sorry for rambling on, but I really like bosses. They're one of my favorite parts of a video game. If you can, then load up with as many of them as possible. For my sake, alright?

EDIT: I just read the part where you said it was a strategy game. You can still have bosses, right?

Ultima Shadow
07-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Here's the advice I can offer: Don't make the second-last boss harder than the last boss. I've seen many a game ruined by the second last boss.

I HATE it when games do that. If it's going to be a final boss, it should be the most challenging boss in the game. I plan on having all my skills and everything I've learned in the game put up to the test. I was heartbroken when I played Ghosts N Goblins. Astaroth was so easy it was a damn shame really. The guy dies in what, 10 seconds? After I went through 3-4 hours of 5 hellish levels I get to a guy that kicks the bucket in 10 seconds?

If you can't tell, I'm obsessed with bosses and HP. My favorite part of a video game is, believe it or not, boss HP.

I recommend you give your bosses a lot of HP. Boss fights shouldn't be over in 3 minutes. They shouldn't be 15 minutes of the player pounding the attack button until the mofo finally keels over either. A nice balance is pretty much all I ask for in a game.
Yea, the boss HP plays a big role. I hate bosses that goes down in less than 2min. However... 3min isn't very much either in my opinion... but ofcourse, that depends on whitch boss it's about. A first boss could go down in 3min, but a middle game boss should take at the very least 5-7min and a final boss should take at the very least like 10-15min. However... if the boss lasts long... then it shouldn't be all the all the time. The boss attacks must change during the battle etc.

Sorry for rambling on, but I really like bosses. They're one of my favorite parts of a video game. If you can, then load up with as many of them as possible. For my sake, alright?
Yea, the bosses is always the most amazing part of a game... but they are always a great dissapointment if they go down to easy.

EDIT: I just read the part where you said it was a strategy game. You can still have bosses, right?
Ofcourse a strategy game can have bosses! WCIII:TFT has a great boss called the forgoten one. It's a very enjoyable and challanging figth when played at hard. So... yea put in some bosses in your game. :radred: :shoot:

starlet
07-26-2004, 01:50 PM
There are no bosses.....well I guess the main generals ccould be concidered bosses...but there is no AI or anything.....your facing someone on another computer. The grid and the way you move characters and such is kinda like shining force. the game itself is like risk though. basically you pick a main general you want to be and then buy your units and try to take over the world. There are 8 generals to choose from: THe swordmaster, the monk, the vampire, the summoner(thats me!), the warlord, the dark thief, the archer, and the valkerie. 4 generals (monk,summoner,warlord,and vampire) get evil or undead units such as the bishops or hellhounds. The other 4 get human or "good" units like knights and archers.I hope this makes what the game is about a little more clear...

I gots more sprites tho... :D these are the bishop(evil unit healers) sprites...class 3-1

FallenSilence
07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Looks pretty cool.

StarlightAngel
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
The graphics could use some work, but otherwise it sounds great!

starlet
08-13-2004, 04:47 AM
I show more sprites...these are the axe-battler classes 1-3.
and the graphics aren't supposed to be good...thats what happens when you have a low to no budjet game...hope you all like. I also have all of the general portraits done...i just dont have a scanner so Ill get those scanned at someones house a.s.a.p.

StarlightAngel
08-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Try saving up before you make it. Or you could recreate it after you've made some money off it but, better graphics tend to attract gamers somewhat.

starlet
08-13-2004, 12:00 PM
we dont really plan on producing the game to sell so its fine with 8-bit graphics. if we ever do decide to produce it i might cincider it. the graphics might not attract new-school gamer but it will attract old-school ones. :mog: