PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams retires from the NFL

eestlinc
07-25-2004, 06:44 AM
<a href=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/9237156.htm?1c>read about it</a>

I can't say I blame him. I have immense respect for anyone who can walk away. It's beautiful, really.

Sucks for the Dolphins though, but whatever.

Del Murder
07-25-2004, 06:59 AM
I think he could have at least finished off his contract. It's kind of dishonorable to break something like that. But it's his life. Very interesting.

eestlinc
07-25-2004, 07:20 AM
yea, you really should finish the contract. he'll probably get sued or something.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1846012 , for those who don't subscribe to the Miami Herald.

Rainecloud
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
It's kind of dishonorable to break something like that.

I guess we don't always see what's really going on behind the scenes, though.

Kirobaito
07-25-2004, 11:00 PM
This made me a bit sad, I guess. But I've always thought highly of RW's intelligence, and this impressed me. To truly realize that after 5 years in the NFL that you've made every bit of money you'll ever need in life is fact, really. He's being smart.

Dingo Jellybean
07-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Let's face it, after endorsements and NFL contracts...he's already set for life.

He sounds and looks like a smart guy, so I'm sure he has money in some investment portfolio. His habitual drug habits might give him a hard time post-NFL...but I respect the guy. Anytime you lose the passion, you just lose purpose in life. That's what RW felt he lost. I respect him for that because not too many people can walk away from all that money.

It's not that he couldn't handle the pressure(he had over 3200 yards in 2 years btw), it's that he didn't want to. He's so talented that he's easily a Top 10 back in the league. He likes to travel...I do too...I wish I was in his position, but oh well. I always liked the guy anyways, he never badmouthed or trash-talked anyone. I hope him the best.

The Captain
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
From day one, Ricky Williams was a singular man. He never wanted to play NFL football he said recently, he just played in college because he had nothing better to do and had no direction in his life.

I respect his decision to do this, but one thing above all else cannot be overstated, he picked probably the worst time to make this announcement. I have to believe that he realized sooner than a few days ago that he was going to walk away, and as a professional in anything, be it a sport, a law firm, or what have you, he should have made this announcement sooner. Now he's left an entire team in the lurch as they scramble to replace him.

Perhaps we will never really know why he walked away, but I have to believe the condition he suffers from, which is some sort of social anxiety played a HUGE part in this.

By all accounts, you can respect the man, just not the timing of the decision. Had he made the announcement even a few weeks earlier, I doubt there would have been such negative backlash by the media.

Take care all.

RSL
07-26-2004, 11:54 PM
I sure didn't expect this. One less quality fantasy back to pick from.

Del Murder
07-27-2004, 01:37 AM
He was my sleeper first rounder =(