PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

Mikztsu
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Day after day, I feel more strongly that I should've started as tarutaru. Tarutaru melee; I 'd make thf/nin again. My mule is taru and it was fun to mess around with them. Tarus get much more attention ( especially taru melees) and they are very fun and cute.

Thing is, at level 42, my work this far would've been pretty much wasted, expect all the valuable knowledge, experience and equipments I've gained ( which I could sell and give money to my taru) and while I feel very motivated to play with taru, I am not: I instantly get those thoughts in my head how I have to hunt for sub job items, kazham keys and all that stuff again. -_- I just cant decide. But I guess it's better do it rather than thinking everyday how fun it'd be taru. I'm just needing help to motivate myself to do these things again.

Anyway, have you started over and at what level? God I wish I would've wanted taru much earlier.

Citizen Bleys
07-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I have 3 characters: An Elvaan from San d'Oria, a Hume from Bastok, and a Taru from Windurst.

Rather than starting over, I'd suggest buying another content ID and running multiple characters. The extra content ID is only an extra buck a month, and I find it well worth it. Once you get your new Taru up to level 18, you should already have your crab apron and damselfly worm--only the skull is the problem. But with a level 46 ninja, you should have no problem farming up a quick 10k and sending it to your Taru. Take that 10k to Gusgen Mines and /shout that you'll pay 10k for help getting the skull, and you'll have it within minutes.

I always use Reynard to help my lower-level characters along.

EDIT: If you want to do that, though, make sure your new character is on the same server as the old--you can't mail stuff between servers.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
follow your heart, it will give you your answer

Mikztsu
07-26-2004, 02:32 PM
I have 3 characters: An Elvaan from San d'Oria, a Hume from Bastok, and a Taru from Windurst.

Rather than starting over, I'd suggest buying another content ID and running multiple characters. The extra content ID is only an extra buck a month, and I find it well worth it. Once you get your new Taru up to level 18, you should already have your crab apron and damselfly worm--only the skull is the problem. But with a level 46 ninja, you should have no problem farming up a quick 10k and sending it to your Taru. Take that 10k to Gusgen Mines and /shout that you'll pay 10k for help getting the skull, and you'll have it within minutes.

I always use Reynard to help my lower-level characters along.

EDIT: If you want to do that, though, make sure your new character is on the same server as the old--you can't mail stuff between servers.

Yeah, I know about content ID since I have a mule. ^_^ And since I have about 250k worth of equips and 50k'ish money, I could always just buy myself from lower levels, using powerleveling and help with quests. I have a good linkshell though, so I can get help from there too.

Ahh, I will do it. Tarus are just too much fun.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
good choice, and good luck

Citizen Bleys
07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I know about content ID since I have a mule. ^_^ And since I have about 250k worth of equips and 50k'ish money, I could always just buy myself from lower levels, using powerleveling and help with quests. I have a good linkshell though, so I can get help from there too.

Ahh, I will do it. Tarus are just too much fun.

You can sort of powerlevel yourself to level 10 with lots and lots of Meat Mithkabobs and Selbina Milk (for fighter classes) or pies and juices (for mages)

I was getting exp chain #4 while soloing at low levels just by using selbina milk.

Potions help, too, but those are BLOODY expensive and they don't stack. Which sucks at low levels, since you can't run to Jeuno and do your goobiebag quests.

Ouch!
07-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Don't do it.

I've had the game since the day it came out in the United States, and y'know what? I'm only level 25. Why? Because I made new characters, deleting the old ones for exactly the same reason; I couldn't decide on which race I was suited.

As you can imagine, I'm not very happy about it at this time. Most all of my friends have far surpassed my level. Had I stuck with it, I could be in the sixties now, like one of my friends.

It may sound like a good idea on the surface, but you'll regret it down the road.

Mikztsu
07-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Don't do it.

I've had the game since the day it came out in the United States, and y'know what? I'm only level 25. Why? Because I made new characters, deleting the old ones for exactly the same reason; I couldn't decide on which race I was suited.

As you can imagine, I'm not very happy about it at this time. Most all of my friends have far surpassed my level. Had I stuck with it, I could be in the sixties now, like one of my friends.

It may sound like a good idea on the surface, but you'll regret it down the road.

I started over and I think I wont regret it. This is much more fun already and I dont think I'll be starting new characters anymore. My elf was boring and my taru isn't. :D I think it would've sucked much more, if I would've kept going with my elvaan thinking whether I should start over with taru or not.

Besides, I didn't delete my elvaan yet, since it's good to have mule at Jeuno. I don't think I'll be playing with him anymore, but just in case.

TasteyPies
07-27-2004, 02:24 AM
Speking of leveling new charicters, whats the highest level you can get? howlong does it usualy take to get there?

Im realy interested in FFXI but.....Im not going to spend another year and a half sitting in dungeons hitting skellies just to get 10 levels away from the max to have my program stop working and figuring out how to fix it only after deleting the prograand my account.

Lionx
07-27-2004, 07:38 AM
At the moment lvl 75

If your HARDCORE and have alot of money, you can lvl 1-50 in a week. But for the average person at least 7 months of so, i just got lvl 50..and i am totally unequiped and i am so going into getting more equips, now thats because i didnt have an advanced job too..if i did, prolly be way longer.

As for lvls beyond that, way longer...take your tiem and enjoy everything thats all.

Rostum
07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Good on you, I re-started a character and I'm doing great, even better than what I first was doing and I've already caught upto where I was (lvl 30, upto M10, farming right now, done quests etc).

It would be a pain to start again though... and Zaphier, it's alright to start a character, you just did it too many times.

Citizen Bleys
07-27-2004, 11:10 AM

But the point of the game is to have fun, not reach Level 75 as soon as possible. Having all those levels ahead of you just means there's so much more left to do in the game.

I've done the race-to-level-99 thing in Diablo 2, and it spoiled my enjoyment of the game later on--there was nothing left to do, just the same thing over and over and over again.

Better to experience all of the varied gameplay whenever you want than to be impatient to cap a character off at lv 75 just to start a new one and see what it's like to try a different race.

Mikztsu
07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Bleys just typed my thoughts. Being Taru is so much different and more fun! Random people coming to talk and do random things with you; it's different in a good way.

When I was leveling past 30 with my elf and when I saw taru melee classes, I thought it was kinda...exciting and funny. I do know that Tarus are the worst melee class there is, but I don't care. It's fun, it looks fun. For example when I was making party and invited paladin ( I often just forget to check their races) and was expecting some hume, elvaan or Galka come over, I bursted out laughing when I saw this tiny little taru paladin whose helmet was almost as big as his body running to camp! ( Tarus actually aren't that bad paladins because they have good MP)

Citizen Bleys
07-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Just don'taru talk like a moron, please.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Just don'taru talk like a moron, please.

you're talking like a moron at this very moment

Rostum
07-28-2004, 04:08 AM

You're too serious.

Ouch!
07-28-2004, 05:39 AM
You misunderstand me. The fact that I lost all those levels isn't what makes me regret restarting, rather it's the fact that nearly all of my friends that play are at least twenty level ahead of me. The worst part of my situation is that I came back to what I started with after giving most everything else a try.

Had I stuck with it originally, I would be playing with all of my friends instead of talking to them over tells because they're too powerful to do anything with me.

As for the tarutarus being fighters, I'm not at all against it. I actually started leveling up my thief and monk. Though I'm not very far in either, it's already fun. Going against the general mold is coolsometimes, and it doesn't usually turn out too bad.

With the right equipment and skill, you can make just about any race/job combo work. One of the best white mages I've ever partied with was a galka. He had great equipment that gave him more than enough MP and he knew when to heal and when to wait. He didn't go spamming cure spells, draining his MP (like most white mages I run into, I am sometimes guilty of this too when I get too excited) and used his healing correctly.

The only thing that really should be uniform, as discussed in many other threads, is the subjob, because it can make or break a partying ability. I'd take a WHM/BLM Galka before a WHM/WAR Taru.

Citizen Bleys
07-28-2004, 10:15 AM

I have an excuse: I am a moron.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I am a moron.

We already know you're a moron, and you're an ultra-moron if you havent figured that out

Rostum
07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
We already know you're a moron, and you're an ultra-moron if you havent figured that out

Be quiet and stop going off topic.

On topic: Zaphier, it would be annoying to start over and over again because you have to do the missions and chocobo quest and all that other boring stuff over again... but it doesn't take long to level, I can from level 1 to 25 within a week... it's not that hard. (includes getting sub from 1 to 15 or 20)

Citizen Bleys
07-28-2004, 12:20 PM
;-;

I find it hard to go that far within a week. The Magicked Skull and Kazham Keys aren't easy to get. Let alone getting parties as anything but a whm. (OK, so it's no harder for me than it is for others, but I started as a sought-after whm, so I got spoiled)

Of course, I've already had so much help from my LS that I'm not asking for anything else from them until I've returned a few favors.