PDA

View Full Version : Create a Race

Loony BoB
07-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Well, with peoples from five worlds coming together, we now have five races.

Humans, Elves, Dwarves... the usual ones there. But two more are needed! Proto and I decided that we'd be open to suggestions or even completely new creations.

I've suggested the Ingmarian - a leather skinned humanoid which lives in the desert. They have no hair and are tough (obviously, with their leather skin) but have troubles when it comes to agility and speed (obviously, with their leather skin). Otherwise they're pretty much like normal humans. I suppose you could say they're the opposite of Elves when compared to humans, Elves being fair and these guys being a brownish sort of colour, and Elves being fast and these guys being slow, etc. etc. Same height, though.

Anyone else? No FF races, please. Nor animal-people. Humanoids = Yay. I don't want anything fancy, we want them to at least sort-of fit in.

Flying Mullet
07-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Luscervans - An aquatically inclined race that typically deals with anything water related, such as shipping, fishing, etc... They are most comfotable around water and have gills in their neck that help them breathe underwater and they have small webs in between their fingers and toes to facilitate swimming. They are unmatched in swimming and any dealings with water (they have great sea legs). On land they can get around find but are a bit akward and uncomfortable and can't wait to get back around water.. I know that there won't be much shipping and boating and such when this kicks off, but I dunno, maybe it could play into it somehow. I was thinking of Kevin Costner in WaterWorld where he had those gills on the side of his throat so that he could breathe underwater.

Cz
07-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Cool. I didn't know we were going to have races.

I like the idea of a desert dwelling race, so maybe we could have another adapted to cold environments.

The Captain
07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Hmm, I think the two races mentioned by Bob and Mullet are excellent choices and nicely balance out everything.

How will the races effect the world? Are some less trustworthy than others?

Take care all.

Agent Proto
07-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Luscervans - An aquatically inclined race that typically deals with anything water related, such as shipping, fishing, etc... They are most comfotable around water and have gills in their neck that help them breathe underwater and they have small webs in between their fingers and toes to facilitate swimming. They are unmatched in swimming and any dealings with water (they have great sea legs). On land they can get around find but are a bit akward and uncomfortable and can't wait to get back around water.. I know that there won't be much shipping and boating and such when this kicks off, but I dunno, maybe it could play into it somehow. I was thinking of Kevin Costner in WaterWorld where he had those gills on the side of his throat so that he could breathe underwater.

The only problem I see with this race is that we're restricting travel by water so far. It's a nice idea, but this race has too many advantages over others concerning sea travel. If you can limit some things, like how long it can stay underwater and such, it'll be cool. I'm leaning against accepting this race, but if you make the changes, that may change.

Flying Mullet
07-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I knew that we weren't doing much sea travel at the beginning, but perhaps river trade in their own countries? Anyways, if they're too advantageous in the water give them more handicaps on land.

Also I thought that if they are inclined to be in the water but there isn't much water trade or travel, it could be worked into the story, like they are used as slaves on land because they are at such a disadvantage on land so they are easy to keep as slaves and water travel is limited to keep them away from the water.

As for limitations, perhaps underwater for up to ten minutes at a time with the use of their gills (many humans that train their lungs can stay underwater for 3 minutes without a problem). And give them a bigger handicap on land by saying that they are very clumsy on land because they are used to the movements of water, both in and on boats, so they are thrown off-kilter by the stableness of land.

Agent Proto
07-27-2004, 07:03 PM
We'll see what BoB has to say about them.

Loony BoB
07-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I like the idea of a water/ice-based creature, because that balances with Humans (open terrain), Dwarves (mountains), Elves (forests) and Ingmarian (desert). I'm also okay with them going ten minutes underwater so long as they have difficulties not on flat land but more so on difficult land like slopes and up in trees. Webbed versions of human-feet, maybe? In water, they can swim well, yes, but I won't have their stamina wouldn't be too much different than that of a pro swimmer in human terms. In other words, while they are far more capable, they can't travel from continent to continent without the aid of a boat or something similar.

Flying Mullet
07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Basically a humanoid race that is better equipped to live around and on water than land and would rather be around and on water too.

Rase
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
The Kushtika, a race of half beaver, half human creatures (inspired by an Alaskan legend). Live either in the mountains or the rivers, only coming near other races villages to steal young children, which they then take back and eat..... Ya know what, this sounds more like a monster in the world. Scratch that.

Or maybe, I'll just alter it. They could live in the ocean/rivers and didn't eat people, would that be okay?

Cz
07-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Having a semi-aquatic race is a great idea, as long as their ability to swim/breathe underwater is limited. Even if they're handicapped on land, it would complicate things, as we'd effectively need a whole new set of rules to apply to these creatures.

However, as long as they're somewhat restricted, I'm all for the Luscervans.

One thing we need to take in to account with these races is that they need to appeal to the players. It's no good creating a new creature that no-one will want to play as, so we'll either need to give each race an advantage in the EoFFworld, or make them 'cool' enough to attract people into playing as them. The Ingmarians and Luscervans seem to fit the bill, but it's something to bear in mind for any other creations.

Loony BoB
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
I think we'll be using Ingmarians and Luscervans. :)

nik0tine
07-28-2004, 12:38 AM
im thinking there should be some mermaids or something. something that lives underwater. way cool in my opinion.

Agent Proto
07-28-2004, 01:25 AM
im thinking there should be some mermaids or something. something that lives underwater. way cool in my opinion.

Hi <b>Luscervans</b>.

-N-
07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
You've gotta be kidding me. *watches this awesomeness degrade into a MMORPG*

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 07:25 AM
How is adding races degrading a world into an MMORPG? It's not like people wouldn't have different races in the first place. *nods* If all you were expecting was a map with cities on it, then it would never have been given it's own forum - you can stick with Proto's Eyesonia thread if that's all you're after, though. :) This forum is for what I like to call a political RP, but it's mainly to design the world and detail everything we can.

The Captain
07-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Hopefully, everyone will find a way to mix imagination and some degree of reality so that this doesn't go too far in either direction, being either completely fantastical or tight and restricted.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Well, let's just say that we've already rejected Psychotic's original name of region. :p

Baloki
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Well, let's just say that we've already rejected Psychotic's original name of region. :p

MUFFINWORLD!

sephxangel
07-28-2004, 11:19 AM
It's not like people wouldn't have different races in the first place.

So what your saying is that we can make up our own race to fit our state anyways?

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
No, I'm just saying that if we didn't let you guys know what races are going to be in this world then people would have started making races up, and that's why we laid down the races you can pick from - it's basically so you're aware of what options you have. :)

Nait
07-28-2004, 01:26 PM
No, not elves and dwarves! >:O At least call them something else plz.

Like, have elves thingies, but don't give'em pointy ears. And have miners, but don't make them shorties and bearded for crying out loud. >:o

And my suggestion for a "race" is the Icewalker, a subspecies of human evolved for some hundreds of thousands of years to fit the cold regions. Let's say blond hair but darkish skin, a few extra layers of fat and a few other things useful in the land of the midnight sun.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Love you, Nait.