PDA

View Full Version : A lame little background story type thing.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Maybe playing hide-and-seek in the woods wasn't such a good idea after all. Daniel was most definitely lost. He'd been looking for his friends for about half an hour now, and they were nowhere to be seen. He was starting to get a little nervous. <i>Maybe they've ditched me.</i> Memories of his early teenage years flooded his mind. He winced and shook his head. "Stuart!" His voice rang through the trees, brightly coloured birds taking to the air in alarm. <i>Wow</i>, he thought, <i>I've never seen birds like that before...</i> It was then that Daniel heard it. Sort of a grunt or a snort... he looked around. There was a shuffling in some nearby bushes. <i>Wait. When was I near any bushes? I don't remember bushes that large i-</i> "AUGH!" Daniel ran. The creature was right behind him. He didn't look back to get a decent glimpse of it. "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!" He squealed, flailing his arms around him, looking like a bair of headless chickens on steroids were attached to his torso.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

The sound ran awfully close to his ear. Daniel knew the sound well and the fact that he didn't feel any pain reassured him that he wasn't hit. "God dammit, you bastards!" He yelled as he rang. "Kill the hog, not me!" He could hear the warthog scrambling behind him. It didn't seem to want to give up.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

It gave up. Daniel tumbled to the ground, rolling over the foliage and suddenly the sun was beating down on him. He squinted his eyes, picked himself up and dusted himself off. Turned around. "Thanks, I... I..." Stood confused. "Who are you?" The tall, slim men walked towards him and stopped about twenty feet away, discussing between themselves quietly.

"Daniel!" Daniel flicked his head to the direction of the sound. It was Stuart and Mary. "I don't know where anyone is... but... uh, yeah. We don't know where anyone is. We don't know where we are. Look around. Mountains. When were we near the mountains?" Stuart was pointing behind Daniel. Surely enough, there stood the beginning of a huge mountain range. "Oh, and of course. These men are Elves, Daniel. Elves. Just like in the stories. They say they don't know how they got here either..." The Elves had what Daniel thought was warthog with them. Now that he looked again, it was something different. Not like anything he'd seen before.

An Elf stood up and walked over to Daniel, nodding and then speaking... English! "I am Legolam." He said. His expression told Daniel that he didn't really know what else to say. Neither did Daniel.

"Daniel?" Mary's voice, this time. Daniel looked back over to his two friends. "We don't think we're home anymore."

-----

Yes, that was totally lame for a starting story, but it gives you an idea of what's going on. This is the basic thing I wrote earlier, for a more overall factual point of view:

Various groups of people throughout multiple worlds have all been brought together in a magical world. One by one, they walked through forests, through doors, and appeared on a completely new planet. Just like that. Some say it was a God, or multiple Gods, some say it was magic, some say they're dreaming, but either way, they're all there now... anarchy reigned momentarily, but then slowly leaders became known, lifting those around them. Villages were built, civilisations materialised. There were dictatorships, democracies, even monarchies carrying on from previous worlds, holding to tradition effectively (and some not so effectively). Realising that this was their world now, they started anew. Soon enough, people were moving around the world, hearing of the far off lands where they wished to go. And now the leaders had seperated to their own areas with their followers, building their nations up around them. Maps were drawn, borders recognised (by most!) and now here we are. Welcome to your new world.

Keep in mind that this is not so much an RP board so much as an interactive world that you can become a part of. Maybe after a while we might consider an actual story-style RP story or something, but that's not really in our heads at the moment at all. I just put in that story-esque thing so you can get an idea of just how people 'discovered' the world. This guy would have moved to the world when he winced and shook his head - just a moment passes, Daniel opens his eyes and the whole world changed around him. And then he gets chased by a small Balraj and screams like a girl.

Flying Mullet
07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Oooh, can we have five teenagers that were transported from an amusement park into a strange magical world and every week they go on an adventure to find the magic portal that will warp them home but they always just miss getting into the portal?

EDIT: Seriously though, how old is this world? Are the inhabitants the ancient ancestors of Daniel, his friends, the lost elves, etc... or is the world brand new and everyone has just warped here. Because if everyone just warped here then religious theories would be more of how they got there in relation to their old worlds, whereas if the races have been there for a while then the religions and thories will focus on how their ancestors came to the world in relation to this world, if that makes sense.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Er... no. [/Churchill from those ads in the UK]

Cz
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
This looks interesting. Great start, BoB. :)

Flying Mullet
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Having the kids lost in a new world reminded me of that Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Roughly five years on.

Nait
07-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Bah, now that this thing has turned into some sort of RP, with no history or even social evolution to talk off, it seems rather... Bland.

Especially if we are representatives of this particular Earth.

EDIT:

I'd be more happy if this was at least a couple of thousand years after the Rift. If y'know what I mean.

And I'm still unhappy with the bloody elves and dwarves. >:O

Cz
07-28-2004, 04:20 PM
After a thousand years, there would have been too much technological development. Make it around 50 or so.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
It's not an RP because that post I made was purely to give you an idea of how the people got into the world.

The reason it doesn't have history is because the whole idea of this thing is for you guys to create the history. Otherwise you may as well got to Aiyon if you wanted me to write a whole history behind the planet myself. :p If anything, we just gave you something to work with. And Nait, stop being so black and white. *slaps you* You're either "this is awesome" or "this is stupid", never bothering with inbetween, you ding dong.

Nait
07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
No, I'm saying: This WOULD be awesome if you did another way. >:O

And now I'm pissed off because you just pulled people from Earth to this world. That's just boring. :o

See it like this:

We have races from, what, five different worlds. Each one should be as historical and so forth as Earth.

But if we skip all those other worlds, we can make history for just one world. Easier, and much more logical.

And the technology thing would be averted too, if we just throw out the whole Earth and Elfland and Dwarfland and stuff scenario. It means we can write that history without constraints, like, "why are there no waffleheaters in the world when people from earth are surely going to bring the technology with them?" and stuff.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Possibly due to them not having the technology at the time of warping. I never said they went out of a high tech amusement park - just three people in a forest. That could happen during King Arthur's time. But yeah, I'll talk to Proto about it all.

Cz
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Alternatively, we could use the famous 'memory loss' plot device. You guys like plot devices, right?

Flying Mullet
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Sure, then have a country whose focus and devotion is to developing the best waffleheater ever.

Nait
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Possibly due to them not having the technology at the time of warping. I never said they went out of a high tech amusement park - just three people in a forest. That could happen during King Arthur's time. But yeah, I'll talk to Proto about it all.

Ok, non-modern times I can accept.

'S coo', 's coo'.

Baloki
07-28-2004, 05:20 PM
bwhahahahaha, never ever leave me with a story, my mind just works overtime and explodes, please, no, NOOOOOOOO *flash*

Anyway, hummmmm *figures out a bg entry story for his character*

The wind slowly pushed its way though the deep green of the trees, their leaves heeding and ryhmically swaying back and forth, birds could be heard rustling in the foliege above. Baloki slowly sat down by the lake and placed his feet in the water, letting it slowly engulf his toes, life couldn't be better he thought, with that he left his feet paddling in the water and lent back lying down on the soft dirt placing his arms around his head.

Relaxing was something our young Baloki did too much of, however now he was an outlaw by the kings decree he had nothing much left to do in life. Thinking back he thought what an idiot he had been, wooing the kings daughter and poaching his game probably isn't the best way to applease a king, but have your fun he thought, still thinking about her lucious body he began drifting off to sleep.

Dreams overcame him and he lay still, deeper in the forest however was a very enraged king howling for blood and looking for the little scamp that had caused him so much greaf. Baloki being the simple peasent he was had of course not concidled his tracks behind him giving the king an easy trail to follow, suddenly the kind saw his prey, whipped his horse and started a charge planning to trample poor Baloki under its hooves.

Hearing the thunderious roar of the horse Baloki twisted up, tangled within himself and fell over into the lake, falling what seemed an inextenisable about of time hit the hard rock below, he wasn't in Kansus anymore...

The Captain
07-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Very interesting premise.

I sense a lot of bloody conflict before any real power is consolidated however, as many people will probably feel that since they are starting anew, why should someone who was previously in power still be guarenteed anything?

Take care all.

Loony BoB
07-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Baloki is a good example of a person who didn't read the part where I said this won't be an RP and that the only reason I did an RP-esque post was to give everyone an idea of how things went ahead.

Either that or he's just being silly since I said this wasn't going to be an RP and he wants me to get bugged. :smash:

Baloki
07-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Baloki is a good example of a person who didn't read the part where I said this won't be an RP and that the only reason I did an RP-esque post was to give everyone an idea of how things went ahead.

Either that or he's just being silly since I said this wasn't going to be an RP and he wants me to get bugged. :smash:

I just like writing, is that a crime?

Cz
07-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't know. We haven't drawn up any regional laws yet. :D

Baloki
07-28-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't know. We haven't drawn up any regional laws yet. :D

darn it *Hands over £20 to BoB*

-N-
07-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I honestly don't think warping people into this world is a good idea. If that were the premise, wouldn't it be a better idea to follow the individuals' lives in how they deal with their new surroundings, deal with the possibility of never returning home, et cetera, rather than making a Civilization type game out of it? Before it turns into a reality TV show, I say drop it.

Carnage
08-06-2004, 06:51 PM
We made the world and nations cause this was gonna be a game i thought. Game or no game?