PDA

View Full Version : MTG or Yugioh?

Erased
07-28-2004, 09:39 PM
I ws just wondering, who likes which one better? I personally prefer magic, though yugioh is anime, so I can't say it flat out sucks. But come on - summoning huge card-like(ok, so they are cards) creatures to smash your opponents life points to zero? that's pretty fun. So, what do you prefer and why?

Shoeberto
07-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Magic beats it. Magic is prettymuch the template for every popular TCG. It's the original and the best.

SomethingBig
07-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Magic's too slow, so I pick Yu-Gi-Oh!

ZeZipster
07-28-2004, 10:11 PM
YGO requires no skill any more, it's just 1 deck of staples and no creativity what-so-ever, it's also dead in about 2 sets. MTG isn't my favorite either, it has obvious flaws itself, but I'd take it over YGO any day. MTG pumps out the exact same thing every set with nothing new, and at tournies no one plays any thing unique. I like Score Ent. games, which are games usually based around popular animes such as Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z. Right now, I'm not investing in to any TCGs, I will get in to the InuYasha TCG when it is out in october.

Polyonymous
07-28-2004, 10:35 PM
magic beats yugioh 10-1, magic has been around for almost 11 years and is still coming out with original stuff..... plus almost every TCG is based arround it. Magic has the best gameplay because you can have so many stratagies, and although the rules seem extreamly complecated at first they really arent. Having in depth rules acctually adds to the game because it allows more stratagy when constructing decks.

SomethingBig
07-28-2004, 10:36 PM
That's true to some extent, Zipster. Usually, the person with the most staples wins, but not in all cases. I remember playing against my older brother's friends and one of them had the best cards, while I had a deck with few staples, but cards that worked well together and won. There are many different types of decks: Beat-down decks, Spellcaster(magician) decks, Dark decks, Beast decks, Fiend(demon) decks, and many, many others. Here are some descriptions:
Beatdown - Usually consists of most, if not all, of the staples currently out. People with beatdown decks rely mainly on powerful monster cards and cards that destroy cards in both the opponent's field and hand.
Spellcaster/Magician - Consists of mainly Spellcasters/Magicians and cards that center around them. Some staples may be left out, but other staples are quite useful, as well. Powerful monster cards are not necessary.
Gravity Bind - Very few staples are needed. Level 3 and lower monsters are preferred, but 2-3 stronger monsters and/or a strong defense monster would be good, in case your original strategy is foiled. Magic cards that destroy monster cards would be useful, as well as cards that stop the opponent from attacking.

With the different types of cards in YGO, you can come up with many types of strategies. I like YGO because it is fast-paced, yet can also contain lots of strategic elements.

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I play both and honestly I can't decide. Ansem and I play Yugioh all the time and Jebus kicks the living daylights out of me with his freaking Specture deck.

chu52
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Magic the gatherIng, My sliver deck is unstoppable

Polyonymous
07-28-2004, 10:42 PM
yogioh is to expensive for me..... on pack of yugioh is about a buck and a half more than magic boosters and they have less cards. Plus the image on the magic cards i think are much better.

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Does anyoneh ave Magic Workstation? It's a program that allows people to connect via IP address to IP and play MTG. If anymoe has it then PM me so we can play.

chu52
07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
New magic sets arn't as cool as the old shcool wones. The best was Urza everything and Ice age. Legions was the last good set. But still Long Live Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimateSpamGrover
07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I am aware that Magic was around longer, but Yu-Gi-Oh is a little easier to understand than Magic, and btw Dark Magician will kill everybody anyway

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Mirrodin was terrific. It has my all time favourite card, Pleated Slagwurm. 8/8 green wurm, cannot be effected or target by creature or spell effects.

EDIT: [I]"I am aware that Magic was around longer, but Yu-Gi-Oh is a little easier to understand than Magic, and btw Dark Magician will kill everybody anyway"</I"

No, Magic is still alive. And just so you know a Dark Magician is nothing to me, I have so many spell and trap combos that can keep ol' DM in the graveyard.

chu52
07-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Tooo manny artifacts and too powerful cards, Unglued was fun though...

Erased
07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Olly raises an interesting point.
adding to the topic: favorite card in magic and/or yugioh.
I used to play yugioh, and my all time fav card was Neo the Magic Swordsman - a decent 1700 attack, a cool name, and a cooler picture. gotta love it.
Magic: my favorite card...*flips through cards* ill go with a creature card. *flips through more cards* Bringer of the white dawn is pretty good *keeps going* ah yes, wait a sec... why is this in here? this isn't a creature... oh well.
Serra's Embrace +2/+2 flying, attacking does not cause creature to tap. that should even make a 0/1 happy.

chu52
07-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Urza's rage, 10 unblockable uncoutnerable damge that is my faveorite MTG card

Trumpet Thief
07-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I prefer MTG. I think Yugioh is fun sometimes, but I find Magic the Gathering way better. I have been playing it for quite some time, and dislike most of the other card games.

chu52
07-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Comparing Yugioh to MTG is like comparing BAttleon.com to FF. THey are both good in their own respect but FF and MTG are the original and more complex betters.

Trumpet Thief
07-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Exactly how I feel.

chu52
07-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Yay! Long Live Urza!!!

Polyonymous
07-29-2004, 02:38 AM
my fav. card would be reiver deamon from the Mirrodin set.

6/6 flying,
When Reiver Demon comes into play, if you played it from your hand, destroy all nonartifact, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated.

chu52
07-29-2004, 02:42 AM
LONG LIVE URZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karn sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mirriodion is Karn's world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long Live Urza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karn sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mirriodion is Karn's world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Mage
07-29-2004, 05:11 AM
It's sort of funny that I can't tell whether some of you are talking about Magic or Yugioh from reading your posts.

Anyways, I've never played Yugioh, and stopped buying Magic cards when "Portal" came out.

So, uh, whatever.

d20{fx}
07-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Well my fav card in magic is Decree of Justice.Nothing as versatile as that spell.
In Yu Gi Oh its gotta be summoned skull.Powerful monster for only 1 tribute.

But in general i think mtg is better than yugioh in that it is just more complicated.
YuGiOh's play system is to simple to be enjoyable for too long.

Jebus
07-29-2004, 09:57 AM
New magic sets arn't as cool as the old shcool wones. The best was Urza everything and Ice age. Legions was the last good set. But still Long Live Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated Legions. And most of Onslaught block for that matter. Apocalypse was the last good set, although Odessy had some good ones.

And my favorite card would have to be Obliterate. Costs alot, but it destroys everything except enchantments and can't be countered. I love blowing stuff up. :D

chu52
07-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Legions Had one good card: Akroma Angel of wrath: A 6/6 Angel Legend for eight mana That has *clears throat* flying, first strike, trample, haste, protection from black, protection from red, and Attacking does not cause Akroma angel of wrath to tap.

Erased
07-29-2004, 04:48 PM
ya know, originally that card was a lot more powerful. the only thing I remember out of that "a lot more powerful" description is it had rampage: 3

chu52
07-29-2004, 04:53 PM
And fear

Erased
07-29-2004, 06:54 PM
yeah, akroma rocks. I'd like to see her beat phage though.(wait a sec.. she can't!!! hahahaha)(mostly because they make Karona, False god which is a crap card if I ever saw one)

chu52
07-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Protection from blck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first strike she instanly would kill phage the touchable

Erased
07-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah but in the story Akroma and Phage are fighting and they end up doin some wierd DBZ style finish and they join to make Karona.(at least, that's what I heard)

chu52
07-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Srew the books, after the mirri was destroyed the stories sucked, and btw my favorite combo is 14 mana= Urza's rage +mirri= 20 unstoppable, unpreventable, uncounterable, dmg. Woot first tun win (in a mana drop game)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Given the choice between Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh! it's Magic hands down, the game is so much better, and it requires a lot more brain activity.

That being said though, there is a game that easily trumps Magic. It's also by Wizards of the Coast, and it is the next step up from Magic. I'm talking about Legend of the Five Rings, and anyone who's mastered Magic is encouraged to give it a try.

Legend of the Five Rings, or L5R, is much more complex than Magic, and has several basic built-in winning strategies. You have not one but two decks of forty cards each, your Dynasty and your Fate. Dynasty represents your personalities (equivalent to Creatures in Magic), your gold (equivalent to Mana in Magic), your events (no Magic Equivalent), etc. etc. etc. The Fate Deck is your hand, from which you draw one card from at the end of evey turn.

The phases are much more important in L5R than in Magic, and you need to think strategically and think of how best to optimize your performance. For example, you COULD spend your gold in the "Limited/Open" phase by playing a follower or weapon on a personality for additional force, or you could save it to bring out more gold production and personalities in the dynasty phase, which comes later. Players who wish to attack that turn would probably play something from their hand for instant force, but those who aren't going to attack would probably play from their dynasty.

The game is far too complex to explain here, but I'll get into a few interesting points.

Each deck is based around a clan or faction. While most clans can play personalities not of their clan, there are special bonuses for playing personalities of their own clan.

There are three major ways to win, as well as several lesser ways. You can destroy all four of your opponents "Provinces" to achieve a military victory, you can begin your turn with 40 Honor to achieve an honor victory, or you can begin your turn with all five of the elemental rings in play to acheive an enlightenment victory. While there are standard strategies for just about every clan, most clans can be modeled to win in several ways, making deck customization all the more versatile.

escobert
07-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Yeah I wanted to play L5R but it's hard enough to find peopel who play magic around here letalone any other game. Yugioh is popular though I'm not really into it. I have some cards for sale though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah, many people are content to play Magic because L5R is too hard for them, and if they can't even progress from Yu-Gi-Oh! chances are pretty good that they'll stay there. What I tend to do when presented with this problem is I go out and recruit people myself, create my own competition.

Erased
07-29-2004, 08:01 PM
L5R sounds cool but its seems that the games would be longer, making it prime for RPG fans to play, but all toerhs probably would stay away from it. I'd kinda like to try it... the trick would be is finding someone to try it out with.. Polyonomous? think it sounds good?(such a simple word for such a cool sounding game... oh well)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-29-2004, 08:17 PM
L5R games actually can take very long depending on the deck, but can also be very short. Straightforward military and honor decks are usually pretty fast. My honor deck usually wins within about five turns, and that's fairly standard. The turn amount increases if you are playing Diamond legal though (L5R's equivalent of type 2)

Polyonymous
07-29-2004, 09:38 PM
I'd kinda like to try it... the trick would be is finding someone to try it out with.. Polyonomous? think it sounds good?

i think it would be fun to try L5R too. the problem is i never have any money, i havent bought any magic cards sense the fifth dawn prerelease. But if you were to buy a starter deck i would too so you would have someone to play with...... maybe we should

Lionx
07-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Its all about POKEMON!!!! :love:

chu52
07-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Its all about POKEMON!!!! :love:
Gotohell don't pass go don't collect 200 dollars

escobert
07-30-2004, 05:15 AM
I have so many freakin pokemon cards :mad2:

Erased
07-30-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah. They need like a pokemon rehab center where you can get rid of all your cards, get some money, and move on...

escobert
07-30-2004, 05:42 AM
I knwo Iwant money for em. and all my magic/yugioh cards

Polyonymous
07-30-2004, 05:59 AM
i would gladly get rid of my pokemon if i could find someone who wanted to buy them

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Pokemon are like Beanie Babies. Useless and worthless.

Erased
07-30-2004, 04:17 PM
As this thread is dying, I make an attempt to revive it... Favorite Combo in MTG/Yugioh?

chu52
07-30-2004, 05:07 PM
MAgic: Mirri+Urza's Rage= a 14 mana 20 damage unstoppable, unblockable, uncounterable, Damage, 1rst round win in a an all mana down/mana drop game, I have a tendincy to do that.
Yugioh: An entire Exodia set+ butane lighter= Angry Yugioh freaks^^

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-30-2004, 08:37 PM
In Yu-Gi-Oh! I'm fond of the Shadow Ghoul and Chaos Necromancer type decks. Since monsters die so quickly anyways, plus with all my discarding abilities, I can get them to be fairly powerful.

I have an interesting deck going in Magic which is, for lack of a better term, a bounce deck. One of the major cards here is Phyrexian Infilitrator. I switch control of other cards with the Infiltrator, and use something like Man-o'-War or Repulse or Boomerang to return the Infiltrator to my hand so that I can use it again. With the exception of one creature that allows me to return creatures to the top of my deck, all my creatures have an effect when they come into play.

Erased
07-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Nice :choc: I still have yet to test this one, but I think my fav's gonna be Joiner Adept and Mirari's Wake(Joiner Adept: let's you control can produce mana of any color) (Mirari's Wake" All creatures you control get +1/+1 Whenever you tap a land for mana, add another mana of any color that land could produce.)

chu52
07-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Another great combo is Incoming (a rare unglued card allowing all players to search their deck for any number of permants and lay them on the feild) and wrath of god (destroy all creatures, they can't be regerated) and Llyurgoyf (0/1 that gets +1+1 for every creature in all graveyards, played after wrath of god) This plays your oppenents greed against them. Very fun

Giga Guess
08-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Hmmmm....I had 2 decks of each color, and each had a few cornerstones.

Here are a few: Anti-Red White Deck:Southern(?) Paladin (WW Tap: Destroy Target Red Permanent), and a slew of cheap red proof creatures, Ivory Mask (YOU can't be target of skills or abilities), and if that's not out, Gerrard (Gain 1 Life for each Card in opponent's hand), and Absolute Law (All Creatures are Redproof), and Entangler (I think that's it's name. Allows a creature to block any number of creatures) on a little Red resistant critter.

Anti-Black: Absolute Grace (All creatures are Blackproof), legions of cheap Blackproof creatures, Northern Paladin (WW Tap: Destroy Target Black Permanent)...basically a mirror of above.

Counter (Blue): Fun...just a lot of land and counter spells. A real pain in the ass.

Growth (Green): A lot of draw/play land cards. ESPECIALLY Lay of the Land (Reveal Hand. If I have no lands in my hand, I can hunt down a basic land of my choosing and put it into my hand at no cost!). To top it all off, I had A Treefolk Legend that allowed me to pay 1 G to bring a saproling into play, AND sacrifice a saproling to give all others +1/+1. Once I have the ball rolling, THIS one is unstoppable.

Mindbender (Black): A slew of discard cards, Megrim, Bereavement, any cards that punish a player for discarding cards. Very fun, especially, as it drains a hand, quickly, so I THINK a Rack may work well with this deck too (Less cards, more damage?)

I am a very good deck builder, though.

square_is_the_best
08-07-2004, 05:45 PM
I like MTG more.

My fav combo:
I don't have alot of cash so I build cheap elf decks. I have an aggravated assault out and I tap a channeler (tap: add x mana of any color, x=# of elves in play) to activate, I can only do this during a mainphase. I get an extra attack phase and another main phase after that. After that attack phase I can untap all creatures! Just keep tapping those wellwishers(tap: gain x life, x=# of elves in play)! Of course if I am experiencing a mana flood, I can always channel it to a stonewodd invoker (1F,7 any color: +5/+5). :D And almost forgot about the Timberwatch: tap: +x/+x,x=#of elves in play.

Giga Guess
08-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Yeesh! But my mindbender deck would've made short work of it. As would my counter.

Ryth
08-08-2004, 02:46 AM
MTG > YGO!

KeeperX
08-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Having played more than 10 TCGs for multiple sets, I am going to very obviously give this one to M:tG. In casual YGO, everything comes down to whichever kid took the most money from Mommy's wallet to make his deck. There's very little freedom when it comes to decks, even in casual play. M:tG has to be split up into two forms: Tournament play and Casual play. Casual Play assumes that the player purchases less than a full box per expansion. These players have the most deck creativity simply because they don't have 2 dual lands, the Power nine and 4 charbelchers to work with. In casual play, M:tG is by far the winner.

When comparing tournament play, both games equally suffer, however M:tG holds the upper hand. Yes, you see the same three decks at both tournaments, but some M:tG players are able to get Top 8 or 16 with a deck that's out there. That's the beauty of it.

-John

(Star Trek: TCG is still my favorite. Grind your enemy into oblivion or expand your horizons..)

FFFreakX-2
08-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Ok Magic Is The Best The Cards Have Some Sort Of Meanin To The StoryLine And They Follow The Books (which Are Very Good) But Yu-Gi-Oh Have Some Sort Of Messed Up Storyline About Savin The World Over And Over Again Its Like Pokemon Boo Yu-Gi_oH Sucks Monkey Nuts
(Mtgo Name Is Ivyman So Give Me A Byzz If Any One Wants To Play)

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Ok Magic Is The Best The Cards Have Some Sort Of Meanin To The StoryLine And They Follow The Books (which Are Very Good) But Yu-Gi-Oh Have Some Sort Of Messed Up Storyline About Savin The World Over And Over Again Its Like Pokemon Boo Yu-Gi_oH Sucks Monkey Nuts

The Magic storyline is no where near as good as the L5R storyline, but I digress.

The best Magic unglued combo is Cheese Stands Alone and Jokalhops (or however the crap you spell that). Instant win.