PDA

View Full Version : why do YOU like FF9

Polyonymous
07-29-2004, 06:40 AM
FF9 is my favorite FF because it has comedy in the game, has a great story line on the surface and the best story line if you really think into it, nice gameplay, nice FMV, but the sidequests could use some work. overall i rate this game a 9/10

what about you guys? dont agree with someone, voice your oppinion.

black orb
07-29-2004, 06:44 AM
>>> I think is the best FF for PS, thats why I like it.

Mo-Nercy
07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I really liked the storyline. I initially thought that FF9 was going to be game aimed at a younger audience but I was wrong. Although the plot is easier to understand than others, it still manages to maintain the gamers interest because the action comes hard and fast. I can't remember a moment where I was dragged into a long event where one guy just talked for 15 minutes (I hate Bugenhagen!) I especially liked the ATEs which often allowed for deeper insights into Gaia or further character development. I loved the references to all other FF games. A nice touch.

Armisael
07-29-2004, 11:02 AM
FF9 is my favorite FF because it has comedy in the game, has a great story line on the surface and the best story line if you really think into it, nice gameplay, nice FMV, but the sidequests could use some work. overall i rate this game a 9/10
I agree but i would rate the game 10/10.I think it is perfect.

Kuja
07-29-2004, 11:18 AM
ehm, i liked dagger...
but ehm the characters are good ( vivi, steiner, dagger) , the fmv are beautifull, the story itself is good too, and the best of the game .... searching for chocographs !!!

i'd rate this game : 10 !

Az Lionheart
07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
at the top of the tread it said voice your oppinion so i will.....
i loved this game but i could have bee so much more i felt it was far to easy and the the designers could have added in extra secrets appart from chocobo graphs. i loved the story/the fact you could use 4 characters/the characters them selves. although saying that i think that each of the characters look far to young and childish+i was not a fan of the tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
overall 6.5/10 :)

crazymcjoe
07-29-2004, 03:45 PM
I liked the game because I really like the story line and the graphics. Searching for chocographs was good too. so yah, good game :D 10/10

Dark Matter
07-30-2004, 03:12 AM
I love Garnet, Beatrix, Eiko.
Odin and Alexander are awesome.
.......very,very good story line and graphics.
And don't forget FFIX's soundtracks.

escobert
07-30-2004, 03:30 AM
ummm I never really got into this game. Yeah it was fun to play but just didn't appeal to me like 7 did. Well no FF has really appealed to me like 7 did. Though i do enjoy the old ones. If i wereto rate 9 I would give it a 7/10.

Trumpet Thief
07-30-2004, 04:10 AM
As an FF I thought this game was good. As a game, I thought it was great!! The storyline was pretty good, although a bit hard to follow sometimes. I loved Vivi.

OVerall, good game. 8.5/10. Check my FFIX review 'cause I'm too lazy to post everything about it here.

Ouch!
07-30-2004, 04:46 AM
To date, FFIX is my favorite as of yet, with VII coming in a close second. Having begun to play VI, I can see why so many people love that too, but that's all besides the point. Obviously there are going to be spoilers below and I'm not going to mark all of them.

I enjoyed FFIX. It was good to bring back the class system which made characters more unique. In FFVII and VIII the characters were all carbon copies of each other with slightly different stats. FFVI had differences amongst the characters, but not anything particularly defining for each of them.

I personally believe that Kuja is one of the best villains ever. I loved his poetic type of evil, and when you found out about his motives in the end, you even began to sympathize with him. He had been tossed aside when he had been replaced as Garland's angel of death.

The other characters were cool as well. The characters evolved at a gradual pace, changing as events effected their lives. It wasn't something like out of FFVIII where all of a sudden one of the characters fell madly in love with another character in a matter of minutes. The relationships between the characters actually were believable.

Most of the characters were memorable, most of all Vivi. I have yet to run across someone who hated Vivi. It's simply not possible. Steiner was always good for some laughs, as was Zidane most of the time.

A bunch of people complain about the plot. They say that Necron just popped out of nowhere. Obviously they weren't paying attention when they were discussing the parts of the jewel. I like how they worked in time for each of the characters to shine, once again unlike FFVIII where it was all about Squall and Rinoa. Everyone had their importance in the plot and weren't just characters that were thrown in as back-up.

There also wasn't really any one that I just really hated, like the whining baby from FFX, Tidus. Eiko had her moments, but wasn't as bad as Rikku or Selphie on the hyper scale.

The references to other games were always amusing as well. I've always enjoyed Amano's character designs too.

It's got it's faults, as any game does, so I'd give it 9/10.

Please don't go off about my comments about FFVIII and FFX, I was simply using it to contrast with FFIX. I thought it most accurate to relate FFIX to games that were close to it as far as releases go. Both VIII and X are good games, but they're failures compared to some of the other FF games.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-30-2004, 05:54 AM
It takes the gameplay of older FF's and mixes them with the graphics of the new

Excellent, very excellent
15/10

Erased
07-30-2004, 06:17 AM
This game owned, besides side quests and the slightly outa date graphics. Gotta love Odin Summon, even when it doesn't work. It took awhile though.

Polyonymous
07-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Its cool to hear what you guys think about it, ive noticed that if someone likes the game they cant get enough of it. But if they dont like the game, they really hate it to the point of saying its the worst. It seems like their is no inbetween with this game.

Ultima Shadow
07-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, it had the greatest FMVs in FF history, it had good storyline, characters, gameplay etc. However... I have another way to rate FF games... some games have the "break rate limmit" ability and can get as much as 15/10. :D
FFIX, however, is given 10/10.

Del Murder
08-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Good storyline and characters, and the music kicks. The battle system and amount of sidequests are up to Square's usual standards. Also it has a nice oldschool feel to it.

Wilder
08-04-2004, 05:21 AM
what I first noticed was the graphics, a little Child oriented but coool, lot of humor , Laugh a lot whit Quina and his yummie yumie eating everything that she/he could. But dude, that amazing Fight in the air in the beginning of the 4 CD was SUPER AWESOME !, I like it a lot and I donīt know why it is so blamed by the fans.

Depressio
08-06-2004, 02:42 AM
FF9 was one of my favorite FF's (i can't decide whether i like ff6, ff7, or ff9 more), and just about everything made it good. the characters were wonderfully developed, and believe me, i care about character development. you learned a lot about each character and you came to love them all... this was actually one of the only games where i did not hate one of the main characters. at first, i didn't like eiko, but then i grew to like her... the graphics were excellent, even the non-FMV graphics were detailed and beautiful, as far as PS1 graphics go. they may not have had a realistic style, but it was more of an anime-ish warped style, but hey, it's original! and the romance in the game was so cute! zidane and garnet are probably my favorite video game couple... in the end FMV when garnet finally found zidane (during the play) and she ran up and threw herself in his arms, i just about cried. the music was also very good, and the ending song, "melodies of life", was one of the best FF songs i've heard... anyway, i liked the game so much that i even cosplayed as garnet (in her regular orange bodysuit) at anime boston 2004. anyway, i think i've made my point.

Ouch!
08-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Its cool to hear what you guys think about it, ive noticed that if someone likes the game they cant get enough of it. But if they dont like the game, they really hate it to the point of saying its the worst. It seems like their is no inbetween with this game.

That's basically how it is with FFVIII as well. There are just some games that you absolutely love, or you absolutely loathe.

Pine
08-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I adore IX, because it was my first PS Final Fantasy. There's so much joy into the game, and I was completly hook on to it when I first purchased it. I liked also the characters and the music, I especially loved Kuja's theme. The story, for a light-hearted game, is pretty serious though. Oh, I just love it so much! Sad thing is, I lost my copy of the game! *sighs*

Jolts
08-07-2004, 09:17 AM
I guess that makes me the first, then. I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. It has some good points, and some bad. There's too much chatter for me. I'm more into the battles and mini-games than reading novels of chatter.

P.S. Pine, do you know you're missing an 'a'?

Ryth
08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
I liked FFIX for it's sense of humor,great story, fun battle system, wonderful characters the thing my 2nd favorite FF FFVII tops it though cuz really it just wowed me FFVII (and other things) FFIX 9.5/10.

DJZen
08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
It didn't really give me that oldschool feel, but I liked it a lot anyway. Finally, the magic command is useful again! It's just fun to play through even when obtaining abilities and magic stones is a pain. I definitely think Square made some questionable choices though. I mean, look at the huge differences between Amano's character sketch for Zidane and the in game graphics for him. If they had designed him to look more like that, would we get any complaints? Well, probably, for some reason people don't like the tail..... And I have no idea what's up with that bow thing..... And Quina, What the heck? Well, at least the dialogue in the game reflects the oddness of this character. Where this game REALLY shines is the gameplay. The combat is great fun and using the right combination of commands and effects can make or break your fight. The real time events are also fun and add a lot more background to your characters and even to the NPCs. It's not my favorite, but I like it.

Jolts
08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
One of my friends didn't like FFIX because Garnet was the only summoner (he never got Eiko), but yet, he has no problem with, and even likes, FFX. :tumble:

m4tt
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
How could you not get Eiko? You're forced to get Eiko.

Maybe he didn't play far enough. :p

I love FFIX, it's a great game. It was the first game I bought when I got my ps2 (never had a ps1). The music is awesome, the story is great, the characters are all good in their own ways. The battle system is fun, and so are the sidequests and mini games.

Jolts
08-10-2004, 05:33 PM
How could you not get Eiko? You're forced to get Eiko.
Like Proto Man said, he didn't play far enough (he got as far as the Evil Forrest...first visit :lol: ).

Teioh
08-20-2004, 10:47 AM
It's not that heavy on storyline like FFVII and VIII, interesting characters, loads of good mini-games, excellent skill system, one of the best soundtracks in all FF's... Do I need to say anything more? I'm such a huge fan of this game... :D

K-chan
08-20-2004, 05:21 PM
It was one of the first games I played. It has a good story line, character developement, and there's no junction system! ha!

lockeIX
08-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Wonderful, easy to understand story; great villain (Kuja); great characters and development; great world map; wonderful towns; great dialogue. I liked the ability system because you couldn't just hit optimize; you had to think about it.

Sephiroth clone
08-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I loved the chocobo hot and cold, and the story was great too. And Ozma was a pretty good challenge as well.

Kopteri
08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I like IX because of it has great characters, some very funny dialogue and scenes, some of the best music in a videogame, a great "retro" feel to it and the overall experience is just something you have to experience to believe.

Needless to say, this is my favorite FF :)