PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS?

Carnage
07-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Wut exactly is it? i saw something about old FF's Being realeased on it on the EoFF homepage.

Erdrick Holmes
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
It's pretty much a GBA with 128 bit graphics and a dual screen, it's also got an extra slot for GBA and GBC games.

Shoeberto
07-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Nintendo's also release a redesign (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56167) of it that looks pretty badass, even though it looks like it'll be the size of a Game Gear, which is freaking huge.

Ouch!
07-29-2004, 06:47 PM
I don't quite get the purpose of having two screens. What's the point?

I'm still going to get one anyways.

Maxico
07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
it works as a real time menu screen most of the time. You have little stylus that you can select things with (how this will work while blasting around a corner at 150mph is beyond me) and it will also work as a real time map (which sounds much more reasonable)

Erdrick Holmes
07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I don't quite get the purpose of having two screens. What's the point?

I'm still going to get one anyways.

One screen for the game and the other screen for stuff you can touch with the stylus, or displays misc infor, like if your playing a racing game, one screen shows the gameplay while the other shows the track outline.

Ouch!
07-30-2004, 04:21 AM
That is pretty spiffy.

Vega
08-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Ican answer most of your DS questions! It uses two, count them, two screens! SE has 7 titles in the works for the system. It stands for Developer System. The 7 titles are as followed:

Egg Monster Hero
Dragon Quest DS
Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicals
Final Fantasy 7 remake(enhanced graphics)
Final Fantasy 8 remake(enhanced graphics
Two unamed projects

This is good! Let me remind you that FFVII & VIII remakes are still in question.

Giga Guess
08-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Enhanced Graphics! Yaaaaay!

Jolts
08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
FFVII and FFVIII remakes will never be done. Just admit it, SquEnix is only saying stuff like that to keep people anxious. It's starting to tick me off :mad:!

Giga Guess
08-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Well I hope you're wrong.

Jolts
08-08-2004, 06:55 PM
So do I, but I'll never get my hopes up again. I did when I first saw T&T say that there's a chance of them thinking about it, but then they decided not to :(.

Max
08-12-2004, 11:12 PM
It looks pretty stupid. Im looking more forward to the psm.

Dingo Jellybean
08-13-2004, 12:07 AM
The Nintendo DS looks like a giant brick. It'll most likely go down the annals of history like the Game Gear did for being so big.

The GBA does not need to die, it's strong enough right now. I don't know why Nintendo would rush to build a 64 bit system. When the Game Gear came out, it was clearly more advanced than the Game Boy, but it's giant size killed it.

Giga Guess
08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
The GBA is cool, but I agree. This seems kinda hasty to bark out another system.

Erased
08-13-2004, 12:33 AM
PSP owns. GBDS looks stupid. I doubt ANY FF games will be released on it, because that would be stupid. PSP OWNS!

Chzn8r
08-13-2004, 04:31 AM
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=87e72e9b-b0df-4d95-9816-e1bf1bf18c00

3rd party North American titles list for the DS.

Looking DAMN fine. All the stuff from EA, Konami, and Square-Enix especially.

EDIT: GAH! Why is everyone misinterpreting the size? The redesigned DS is BARELY bigger than the GBA when folded together. Look at the screens! Same size, so that gives some proportion.

Dingo Jellybean
08-13-2004, 04:50 AM
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=87e72e9b-b0df-4d95-9816-e1bf1bf18c00

3rd party North American titles list for the DS.

Looking DAMN fine. All the stuff from EA, Konami, and Square-Enix especially.

EDIT: GAH! Why is everyone misinterpreting the size? The redesigned DS is BARELY bigger than the GBA when folded together. Look at the screens! Same size, so that gives some proportion.

Do you get what you just said there? When folded together. Who plays the DS folded together?

Chzn8r
08-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Well ok, but so then you have one gba on top of the other... geez it's not like a big fat wide lump like Game Gear. We're talking lightweight, slick, easy to hold, etc...

Lionx
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
I looked at some sites on the games and i think a new Seikein Destuseu(however you spell it BAH x-x) is going to come out on that too, as well as Dragon Warrior(Quest). The Dual Wielding screens and stuff are just wickedly cool. I will see if i can find the site iread up on this.

PSP I dont feel its anything revolutionary, at least my DS can close together looking like a little thing that holds glasses that PROTECTS the screen from scratches and the sort instead of it being wide open like the PSP. ^^

EDIT:

Nintendo DS wins over PSP in votes off one site.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/523/523718p1.html?fromint=1

Developer's Comments

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/491/491921p1.html

Touch Screen

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/501/501282p1.html

http://gba.gamespy.com/articles/512/512875p1.html?fromint=1

Slightly more powerful than a Nintendo 64, DS does a nifty job playing Metroid Prime: Hunter, a game that looks nearly as good as Metroid Prime on GameCube. A well-known axiom in graphic arts is that if something looks decent when it is large, it will look great small. Seen on a television screen, Metroid Prime: Hunter looks blocky and filled with jagged-edged objects. On DS's small screen, however, Hunter has nearly GameCube-quality graphics. Further, DS produces great lighting effects.

DS takes games on wafer-thin cards. It also has a separate slot for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance cartridges. It does not have any jacks for cables. The system is entirely wireless, though the four-player floor setups of Mario 64x4 and Metroid Prime: Hunter on the floor of E3 will use cables.

NO MORE CABLES YESSS!!!!

DS Lineup:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/537/537284p1.html

Square Enix Co., Ltd.
A new story of Secret of Mana
A new story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest Monsters series
Egg Monster Heroes
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series

And a side by side comparsion of old and new GB: DS

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/534/534141p1.html

To be simple, Nintendo has a big gun here, its the question of which gun is bigger when it faces PSP.

Kilika
08-13-2004, 09:35 AM
FFVII and FFVIII remakes will never be done. Just admit it, SquEnix is only saying stuff like that to keep people anxious. It's starting to tick me off :mad:!

ME TOO! JUST DO IT ALREADY! MAKE IT OR DONT! BUT ANNOUNCE SOMETHING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

IronMaidenHikari
08-15-2004, 02:56 AM
I heard that they are going to remake Mario 64 and make Luigi and Yoshi as playables...

Giga Guess
08-15-2004, 04:08 AM
Sounds interesting...

Chzn8r
08-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Super Mario 64 x 4 (Tentative title) is going to have the original game in tact, but there will also be some advantages to using the different characters, and will allow up to four players (the others being luigi, yoshi, and wario) to do a competition multiplayer (of course WiFi :D) to get stars... not sure if that's for the full game. Not sure if there's a co-op mode either. But it will be a launch title more than likely.

Cloud_99
08-16-2004, 01:32 AM
The long and short of it is that it's a handheld console with two screens and so far the games that have been initially announced for it suck. Don't bother with it it's gonna be a crappy console. Save your cash and buy yourself a PSP instead. It currently has 100 developers making games for it as well as it having superior sound and visual quality, as well as it's unique ability to play movies and mp3's that the DS can't. So it only has one screen, so what.

Erdrick Holmes
08-16-2004, 02:01 AM
I just hope they make more Suiko games for it. And hopefully they will port a new Street Fighter game onit.

Giga Guess
08-16-2004, 02:10 AM
I looked at some sites on the games and i think a new Seikein Destuseu(however you spell it BAH x-x) is going to come out on that too....

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Seiken Densetsu 3, perhaps?

Cloud_99
08-18-2004, 01:05 AM
I just hope they make more Suiko games for it. And hopefully they will port a new Street Fighter game onit.

Sorry man if those games are going anywhere they're going to PSP.

Black Mage
08-18-2004, 01:57 AM
The long and short of it is that it's a handheld console with two screens and so far the games that have been initially announced for it suck.

Eh? Maybe you need to check over that list again, or acquire a new sense of taste, because most of those games don't "suck." Here are just a few that will probably blow your mind: Viewtiful Joe, Dynasty Warriors, Vandal Hearts, A new story of Secret of Mana, A new story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest Monsters series, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series.

Of course, you threw in "initially", so that leads me to believe you might mean games like "Super Mario 64X4, Super Mario Kart DS, That Metroid game, and the new Mario Side-scroller. If that is, indeed, the case, than you're still wrong. Those games rule just as much, if not more than any of the others on that list.

If you don't like them, which I recall you saying you dislike Mario for reasons only God knows, in another thread then perhaps it won't appeal to you. Yet, I don't think that's solid ground to offer advice on which system to buy.

Don't bother with it it's gonna be a crappy console.

Yeah, because Nintendo has a long history with that -- especially in the handheld market.

Save your cash and buy yourself a PSP instead. It currently has 100 developers making games for it as well as it having superior sound and visual quality, as well as it's unique ability to play movies and mp3's that the DS can't. So it only has one screen, so what.

Ah, so the PSP can play a format of movie made especially for it, and like everything else, can play MP3s, "so what."

Movies are for my television at home. The place I don't usually play hand-held systems. I don't understand why'd you rather watch a movie on that tiny screen anyway, but I digress.

I haven't heard this 100 developer number before, either. If this is true, I'd like to see a list of the said developers, but more importantly, I'd like to know about more than the initial 4 games that will be developed for it.

Anyways, as for the topic at hand, I'm quite excited about the DS. It should prove to be a great addition to Nintendo's dominante market.

AngryTurnip
08-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Why have only two people mentioned the touch sensitive screen?
I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo's going to do with it, but you can't deny it has potential.

Jolts
08-20-2004, 07:58 PM
It also has a built in microphone. Not many know about that (or they haven't said anything).