PDA

View Full Version : You're Under Arrest...For...Eating?

The Captain
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040729/ap_on_fe_st/candy_bar_arrest_1

I assume they want to keep things clean, but this seems more than a little over the top.

Take care all.

Maxico
07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
well obviously as soon as you see outragouse law enforcement in an artical that starts with "A government scientist" you know shes being taken out because she knows too much about something

I watch too many movies :(

Rainecloud
07-29-2004, 09:51 PM
"Both Willett and police agree that she nodded and put the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a trash can."

I think the situation got a little out of hand. Of course, it's always best to be alert in situations like this (due to the ongoing threat of terrorism), but arresting someone for eating a chocolate bar is out of order.

"In 2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a french fry on a subway platform."

See what I mean? Pathetic. What has eating a french fry got to do with terrorism?

Amnesiac
07-29-2004, 10:07 PM
... The same thing eating a candy bar does.

CloudSquallandZidane
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
"Don't you have some other crimes you have to take care of?" Willett said she told the officer.

I agreed with her this is a waste of manpower.

escobert
07-29-2004, 10:11 PM
This is the exact reason I plan on leaving the US when I get out of Uni.

Amnesia Case
07-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Police can handcuff minors?

Maxico
07-29-2004, 10:17 PM
"OH MY GOD SHES ARMED Get the mace"

Thank god I live in england. The police dont bother me because their incompetant.

CloudSquallandZidane
07-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Police can handcuff minors?

Police can handcuff a newborn, if they have probable cause, and sometimes even without it.

chu52
07-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Unnoted but overheard at crime scene:

Holy god, she will surely hijack that subway with, please don't let it be, it is!!! A payday!!!!!!!!! if we don't stop her the empire state building is doomed!!!! God be with me!!!!!!!!

Ultima Shadow
07-29-2004, 10:54 PM
It's crazy. OMG She eats a candy! So what? It's insane. :screwy:

Agent Proto
07-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Many people can get away with eating in Metro, without the presense of the police. However, I think this "No eating" law is pretty stupid and getting arrested for eating a french fry or whatever is stupid. They should be more lenient on this.

Meow
07-30-2004, 06:50 PM
So she misposted the candy bar unaware that it was actually a similarly titled bar stored in the same purse right next to her intended, far less offensive sweet?

Amnesiac
07-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Escape From LA"? I have a feeling America is going to turn out eerily similar to America in that movie. *Shudders*

Mr. Graves
07-31-2004, 05:05 AM
Just sound like the police on a power trip. Nothing more than that. Just that preventing 'terrorism' makes things like this more acceptable in this day and age.

Shlup
07-31-2004, 05:09 AM
I have nothing to say on this issue. I want to say something, but words escape me.

Yamaneko
07-31-2004, 05:13 AM
It's about damned time! Eating is a serious offense.

Shlup
07-31-2004, 05:14 AM
The last time this happened was after reading Mik's LJ entry about him and Lily's... adventures. :moomba:

Erdrick Holmes
07-31-2004, 05:18 AM
It's about damned time! Eating is a serious offense.

I demand you be de-knighted, NOW!!! :mad2:

Shlup
07-31-2004, 05:28 AM
Blah, blah, blah. *deflates Joel*

Trumpet Thief
07-31-2004, 09:18 PM
I agreed with her this is a waste of manpower.

Same with me. I am also utterly disgusted by hearing that they handcuffed a twelve year old girl for eating a french fry. If America is in danger by terrorist threats, then what are they doing over there?

DMKA
08-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Same with me. I am also utterly disgusted by hearing that they handcuffed a twelve year old girl for eating a french fry. If America is in danger by terrorist threats, then what are they doing over there?
Well eating in a subway station is a terrorist act, of course...most things are now in America, after all.

Other than that, words fail me on how rediculous this is. Someone please assasinate that man in the whitehouse already...please.

Erdrick Holmes
08-01-2004, 06:35 AM
See why I wanna move out of the US so badly.

mr. anderson
08-01-2004, 07:01 AM
that is just crazy,the officers who arrested her were obviously drunk or something and since when has eating a french fri been an act of terrorism,america is being too protective and soon maybe people will start getting arrested for standing at the same place for too long :eek:

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 11:37 AM
they obviously want you to eat freedom fries other than french fries

nik0tine
08-01-2004, 12:10 PM
that is just crazy,the officers who arrested her were obviously drunk or something and since when has eating a french fri been an act of terrorism,america is being too protective and soon maybe people will start getting arrested for standing at the same place for too long :eek:
i believe people CAN get arrested for that.

and correct me if i am wrong, but did it not say that Both Willett and police agree that she nodded and put the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a trash can. now, if the woman ate it before she entered the subway, what exactly was she arrested for? i think all police should have to go through a training course called "being a dick doesnt make you macho" please now, this kinda crap PISSES me off. arresting kids and people in wheelchairs? this is scary. i knew it was bad, but i didnt know it was THIS bad.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 12:13 PM
i knew it was bad, but i didnt know it was THIS bad.

You better believe it, buster

Dingo Jellybean
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
That happens to be my local metro transport system.

This isn't anything new. A couple of months ago a police officer hand-cuffed a girl for chewing gum in addition to another girl that was cuffed for eating fries. She couldn't have been more than 12 years old (in both incidences).

disapointedchild
08-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Sad

nik0tine
08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
That happens to be my local metro transport system.

This isn't anything new. A couple of months ago a police officer hand-cuffed a girl for chewing gum in addition to another girl that was cuffed for eating fries. She couldn't have been more than 12 years old (in both incidences).

There is a reason some people arent all that fond of cops. I just don't understand how someone can be this big of an asshole to do that to someone, for no real reason whatsoever.

TasteyPies
08-02-2004, 01:06 AM
The law is the law. She was told she could not eat there but she did anyway. They were just going to give her a citation but she believed she was above that and told them to bugger off. They took her in not only for eating but refusing to cooperate with the police.

If anything the media is blowing things out of proportion not the police.

I hate the media, why don't they find something worthwhile to talk about like people doing deads out of the goodnes of their heart or a fire that was put out by firemen....wait...those don't but on much of a show or pull in so many readers.

In 2002, one of their officers ticketed a wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy patient for cursing when he was unable to find a working elevator to leave a station. Unflattering publicity eventually led the police to void the ticket.

He could have said "Hello sir, do you know where I can find a way out oh here?" to a police officer instead of swearing and making a public scene.

Whats Palsy? im not to familiar with it.

fire_of_avalon
08-02-2004, 01:39 AM
I think the situation got a little out of hand. Of course, it's always best to be alert in situations like this (due to the ongoing threat of terrorism), but arresting someone for eating a chocolate bar is out of order.

But Raine, PayDay's aren't chocolate bars. They're made only with peanuts and caramel, which I'm sure you would agree is far, far more dangerous than a normal chocolate bar.;)

Oh us silly human beings.

DMKA
08-02-2004, 03:46 AM
I hate the media, why don't they find something worthwhile to talk about like people doing deads out of the goodnes of their heart or a fire that was put out by firemen....wait...those don't but on much of a show or pull in so many readers.
Actually I do agree with your point that "it was the law", but I don't think the media is 'blowing it out of proportion' at all...do you not agree that this is a tad unreasonable? I sure as hell do, and when things are at such an extreme level of rediculousness I think everyone should be talking trying to do something about it.

But then again I don't think you should just cooperate with cops all the time...I mean if everyone did that there'd still be segrigation in the south and no equal rights.

Dixie
08-02-2004, 04:14 AM
In a few years, the cops are probably going to search you whenever you go to your own home.

That is my prediction of the future.

DMKA
08-02-2004, 04:17 AM
In a few years, the cops are probably going to search you whenever you go to your own home.

It already goes on. Watch an episode of COPS sometime...you'll see.

Dixie
08-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Oh yeah.....I forgot about COPS!!!!

It's one of my favorite shows.

This is what I ment: Everyday, when you pull into your driveway, there will be a cop at your door and when you walk up there, he will say "I need to search you" and if you are clean, he will say "Ok, return to your normal life," and if you aren't, you'll get arrested for tresspassing.

Ki Ki
08-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Wow. hahaha.

DMKA
08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah.....I forgot about COPS!!!!

It's one of my favorite shows.

This is what I ment: Everyday, when you pull into your driveway, there will be a cop at your door and when you walk up there, he will say "I need to search you" and if you are clean, he will say "Ok, return to your normal life," and if you aren't, you'll get arrested for tresspassing.
Whats skerry is I can actually see this happening.

nik0tine
08-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Whats skerry is I can actually see this happening.

As can i. We see crap similar to that today, with all of the camera's in our cities to catch red light runners. I hate those! But yes, this country is becoming more and more scary every single day.

The Captain
08-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Are we implying Big Brother is coming?

Take care all.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-02-2004, 08:25 AM

for the USA, theres an amendment against unnessessary searches

DMKA
08-02-2004, 09:07 AM
for the USA, theres an amendment against unnessessary searches
Theres also an amendment that says that theres is to be a separation of church and state...ever since Bush came along I'm seeing that ignored more and more.

nik0tine
08-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Theres also an amendment that says that theres is to be a separation of church and state...ever since Bush came along I'm seeing that ignored more and more.
as well as the right to a fair trial, and in some cases ones right to privacy.
and yes, captain, big brother is on his way, and he'll be here to stay. unless of course, somebody does something about it before hand. somebody like you. yes YOU!

War Angel
08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
If the law states you can't eat there, then you can't. Simple as that. If you think the law is stupid (which it is), try changing through lawful means - breaking it isn't the way.