PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Ep. III gets a name

darkchrono
07-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Revenge of the Sith.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/24/starwars.ap/index.html

I would think Fall of the Jedi would have been a better title for the storyline. As the six movies are really Anakin's story.

And I always felt that the title of Return of the Jedi addressed Anakin's return to the good side and not so much the Jedi defeating the Empire.

aeris2001x2
07-31-2004, 04:22 AM
i dont care about its name, just that it is a good movie and doesnt disapoint. i swear they had better not screw this up. just as long as sumone does a voice over for anakin 2 prevent the actors evil it may well be good.

Shoeberto
07-31-2004, 04:28 AM
"Yes, yes, apparantly the sixth movie of the Star Wars trilogy...[akward pause]...has recieved a name. 'Revenge of the Sith'. You see, the Sith are a special race o - oh, who gives a :love::love::love::love:." - Graham Norton

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Erdrick Holmes
07-31-2004, 04:32 AM
Something tells me that that movies won't be as good as 1 or 2.

Shlup
07-31-2004, 04:37 AM
Oh yeah, I heard this after people got back from Comic Con and forgot about it.

Eh... Lucas is a loon anyway.

aeris2001x2
07-31-2004, 04:38 AM
i dont think they could make this film worse then ep 1! :eek: imagine the suicide rate in cinemas if it was!!!

Shlup
07-31-2004, 04:42 AM
No, it can't be worse than Episode 1. Episode 2 was good because it had a hot love story, and I'm a girl and a sucker so I liked that. Episode 3 will continue that love story, and therefore will also be worth watching.

Del Murder
07-31-2004, 04:46 AM
It fits. The trilogies of names have a nice theme to them.

Shoeberto
07-31-2004, 04:49 AM
No, it can't be worse than Episode 1. Episode 2 was good because it had a hot love story, and I'm a girl and a sucker so I liked that. Episode 3 will continue that love story, and therefore will also be worth watching.
Hmm. Did you happen to notice the absolutely Godaweful acting during that love story? Seriously, it would've been just as romantic with two cardboard cutouts and a Stephen Hawking voice doing their lines.

Yamaneko
07-31-2004, 04:58 AM
I heard on Leno the other day. He said they're going to use a new, high-tech device in this movie called a script. I feel the same way.

Shlup
07-31-2004, 05:00 AM
Hmm. Did you happen to notice the absolutely Godaweful acting during that love story? Seriously, it would've been just as romantic with two cardboard cutouts and a Stephen Hawking voice doing their lines.
Yeah, I noticed the poor acting through most of the movie. But Natalie Portman is hot. And cardboard cutouts don't have supple lips.

d20{fx}
07-31-2004, 05:18 AM
In my opinion episode 2 would've been better if it was just Yoda beating stuff up for 2 hrs.
Learn form the mistakes,more yoda in episode 3.

Shoeberto
07-31-2004, 05:22 AM
In my opinion episode 2 would've been better if it was just Yoda beating stuff up for 2 hrs.
Learn form the mistakes,more yoda in episode 3.
Who da man?

<font size="5"><i>YODA MAN!</i></font>

darkchrono
07-31-2004, 07:36 AM
I don't really think these new movies are really all that bad. No they are not as good as the original movies but it is not in my opinion because of the bad acting, bad storylines, etc.etc.etc, like alot of people seem to think.

In my opinion the one main thing that hurts this new trilogy is that their is no clear cut villian or clear cut evil in which to battle. In the old trilogy you had possibly the best villian ever created for the big screen in which to battle. So you always knew what the objectives and the goals of the movie were (which were to defeat Darth Vader and destroy the empire).

But the new trilogy is much more of a psychological trilogy then the first. The good guys are more or less fighting their own demons within than they are fighting any defined bad guys (which would be great if it was just a book. But is very difficult to put it on a big screen).

You do not have a clear cut goal to accomplish in this new trilogy and therefore many of the scenes within the new movies do not have the same kind of purpose as many of the scenes within the old movies had.

But overall I think they have done a very good job with what they had to work with.

The purpose of the new trilogy isn't to tell a new story. It is just to try to broaden a story that has already been told. So of course if you expect it to be just as good as the old trilogy you are going to be disapointed.

Calliope
07-31-2004, 07:41 AM

What the hell? BRING BACK QUI-GONN! ;_;

Rainecloud
07-31-2004, 07:50 AM
I like it, I really like it.

Then again, anything sounds good after "Attack of the Clones".

Doomgaze
07-31-2004, 07:54 AM
The only question is who kills all the Jedi? Anakin or "Vader"?

Hopefully Vader.

Hopefully not Greivous.

escobert
07-31-2004, 08:05 AM
"Yes, yes, apparantly the sixth movie of the Star Wars trilogy...[akward pause]...has recieved a name. 'Revenge of the Sith'. You see, the Sith are a special race o - oh, who gives a :love::love::love::love:." - Graham Norton

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Too bad the sith were all dead 4 thousand years before the movies and these sith are just followers of Dath Raven and malak from KTOR :rolleyes2 who took the name sith. (well more or less just followed the teachings) I like episode 2, 1 was just ok. I'm really looking forward to this one though. *has been a starwars fan since he could talk*

The Captain
07-31-2004, 09:15 AM
"In my opinion the one main thing that hurts this new trilogy is that their is no clear cut villian or clear cut evil in which to battle. In the old trilogy you had possibly the best villian ever created for the big screen in which to battle. So you always knew what the objectives and the goals of the movie were (which were to defeat Darth Vader and destroy the empire)."

That is an interesting point.

Here's my take on what is lacking, aside from the obvious:

There is NO Han Solo-esque character. In any tale such as this, there needs to be someone who is a bit of a rogue, someone who won't always be rigid or fighting for good and evil, but perhaps for their own self above all else. Solo was a great counter-point to the wide-eyed ideology of the Jedi as he was the world weary cynic. There is nothing of that nature in any of these films and it makes them feel more like a debate over which morals are higher when we're still talking more or less about people. Solo was as much a father figure to Luke as Obi-Wan was and that made for a very interesting dynamic.

Sure, they're supposed to be dealing with personal issues, but it's personal issues of Jedi, who aren't really the most emotional lot, so there really isn't as much of a base to draw deep drama from.

Plus, let's face it, the scripts have been devoid of the zest and little throw-away lines of the original films. The emphasis has fallen onto special effects when the story and the characters should be the real point. It felt almost as if the script was a technicality when it should have been the focal point. Where's the element of joy in these films?

Finally, there is no everyman to view the world from, but instead only the eyes of the mystical Jedi and their foes. In fantastical films, there needs to be a perspective that is sometimes perpendicular or parallel to the actual action. Part of what made LOTR's so successful in my opinion is because we saw the perspective often from the Hobbits as opposed to only the views of Gandalf and Aragorn.

My hopes are modest, but I really hope this third film can revive what spirit is left in Star Wars. I was a huge, huge, huge fan growing up, but the two most recent films have greatly turned me off to the films. Watching the original films and the newer ones in my mind is like watching something wonderful and fresh turned into something sad and tired.

Take care all.

darkchrono
07-31-2004, 10:46 AM
plus I think something else that hurts the new trilogy which really isn't its fault is that the old trilogy did not have to compete against movies like Spiderman 2 and Lord of the Rings.

Back in the old trilogy days their was nothing else of its kind. Now during the new trilogy their are many things of its kind. So we are not blown away by the grand scope of it all like we were in the first three movies. And as a result of that we are probably being a little more critical and judging things in the new trilogy that people never even thought to judge the old trilogy over.

Rainecloud
07-31-2004, 11:02 AM
I think it's all down to nostalgia. I enjoyed the first three movies (and by that I mean IV, V and VI), but they didn't blow me away by any means. Plus, I watched them for the first time only a couple of years ago. Episode II is my personal favourite of all the films.

Cz
07-31-2004, 11:20 AM
I demand a decent space battle. It's not Star Wars if all the bloody action takes place on the ground.

In my opinion the one main thing that hurts this new trilogy is that their is no clear cut villian or clear cut evil in which to battle. In the old trilogy you had possibly the best villian ever created for the big screen in which to battle. So you always knew what the objectives and the goals of the movie were (which were to defeat Darth Vader and destroy the empire).
I'm inclined to agree with you, but to do so would be to dismiss the master of evil, Christopher Lee. That is something I cannot do. Sorry.

Anyway, I agree with Raine that nostalgia is an important factor in the way that the films have been received. Sure, a couple of elements are missing, but I must say that had ep.I and II been released as stand-alone films, I wouldn't have been too disappointed. It's only when I compare them to the original trilogy that they seem sub-par.

Sure, they're not as good as the original trilogy, but I don't think they really had a chance of equalling those awesome films. Can you honestly say that you walked in to the cinema expecting the new trilogy to match the old?

Germ Hamee
07-31-2004, 06:49 PM
I think what bugs me the most about the new movies are the charactors. Nobody has a freaking personality. Everywhere you look, people are prime, and proper, and have their manners in check. They're all the same person with different faces. In the original films, you had the sassy princess, the rogue and his walking carpet, angst boy with a lazer sword... it was fun.

Anyway. The title sounds lame to me, but then again the Star Wars titles always have. Hopefully this last film will live up.

tomothy
08-01-2004, 05:03 AM
can't wait for lucas arts to pump out more crappy starwars games. i think george lucas wanted to call the last one revenge of the jedi but changed it because goodie goodie jedis are too good to seek revenge. apparently baddie jedis aren't... too good.

...back to sleep for me. :mad:

Ouch!
08-01-2004, 05:21 AM
I think what bugs me the most about the new movies are the charactors. Nobody has a freaking personality. Everywhere you look, people are prime, and proper, and have their manners in check. They're all the same person with different faces. In the original films, you had the sassy princess, the rogue and his walking carpet, angst boy with a lazer sword... it was fun.

That's about what hits it for me. All the Jedi are carbon copies of each other and most of the characters are extremely predictable, but when it comes down to it, episodes I-III were going to be predictable. We knew what everything is building up to, and that takes a bit of the fun out of it. They can throw in as many twists as they want, but in the end Anakin is going to become Darth Vader and destroy all of the Jedi.

-N-
08-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I noticed the poor acting through most of the movie. But Natalie Portman is hot. And cardboard cutouts don't have supple lips.
And they taste funny too.

War Angel
08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
The purpose of the new trilogy isn't to tell a new story. It is just to try to broaden a story that has already been told.
Exactly. Besides... prequels are always less exciting, especially when they have to measure up to master-pieces. .

chu52
08-01-2004, 08:38 PM
I don't really care myself

Storm
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
The title of Star Wars Episode Three is the least of my concerns, although it is an improvement over the previous two titles.

I thought Star Wars Episode One was pretty good the first time I saw it in the theatre, although viewing it later on VHS changed my mind. The whole scenario where Anakin accidentally turns on the jet fighter, accidentally fires its weapons and destroys enemy fighters, accidentally flies into the Trade Federation Mother Ship, and accidentally destroys the ship is the lamest Star Wars moment to date.

Star Wars Episode Two was even worse. The script was as fowl as sticking your head into an outhouse toilet, and Warwick Davis from Leprechaun: Back to the Hood delivered far more sincere acting. Upon leaving the theatre, I recall saying to one of my friends,"I'm actually frightened to see Star Wars Episode Three."

I would complain more about the new movies, but these two links pretty much summarize all of my complaints. I highly recommend reading these. The points they make are absolutely hilarious, and true.

http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/rnt_78reasons1-10.shtml
http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/rnt_64reasons.shtml

escobert
08-02-2004, 05:10 AM
I've been watching the other movies the last few nights and all I can say is... I WANT EPISODE III NOW! I love star wars and always have as I said in my earlier post. The titles don't really bother me I mean yes, they could have been better but oh well. I actually didn't mind the acting in II just because I lov star wars and the fact that they're making/made the first three made me happy. Of I and II, II is my favorite and well, I can't choose between the others I love them all equally.

aeris2001x2
08-02-2004, 05:16 AM
IMHO Return of the Jedi is the greatest non-Anime film of all time. :D

zacks_clone
08-02-2004, 06:04 AM

Oh dear...I love ep. 1. Ep. 2 i thought was horrible. to much love story if you ask me. WAY to much.Every time i watch Clones i fastforward through the love sceans.Any sceans with anakin and padme im afraid.Atleast with 1 i can watch the whole thing. They better not mess up 3, or Lucas is going to hear from me. But Chewis in it.Cant be to horrible.(( WOOKIES!))

IMHO Return of the Jedi is the greatest non-Anime film of all time.

YES!ROTJ kicks!

Doomgaze
08-02-2004, 06:20 AM
What? No. The teddy bear movie sucked. Everyone knows that The Empire Strikes Back was the best.

Cz
08-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Everyone knows that The Empire Strikes Back was the best.
:thumb:

War Angel
08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
I always thought Sex Wars was superior to any.

FreaQaZoiD
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Rant time :banana:

Things worth seeing in Ep1 include
- (blank)
-and (blank)
-not to mention (blank)

Things worth seeing in Ep2 include
-Yoda.
-Natalie Portman in that skimpy black ensemble.
-Yoda

PS- ALL YOU STAR WARS FANS - If u haven't noticed this, in Ep4, A New Hope, right at the end, after pwning the Death Star, the klutz Mark Hamill calls Leia by her screen name, Carrie, when she runs up to hug him. Good work there man. Kinda embarrasing considering its the sci-fi of sci-fi's. We's talkin multi-million dollar production here.

escobert
08-02-2004, 04:00 PM
And this comes from someone with spiderman dancing in their sig :p

FreaQaZoiD
08-02-2004, 04:04 PM
DOESN'T IT JUST JUMP RIGHT OFF THE SCREEN INTO YOUR HINDBRAIN AND YELL 'WATCH ME! I'M DANCIN SPIDERMAN!'

Now we all know what spidey does when no1's watchin...

For some reason me and my couz were watchin this @ 2am.... and he pointed this out to me. It took a while for the magnimosity of this to sink in. Such a simple mistake in a film, but a film which had packed theatres all across every country with its first screenings, has toy labels, clothing, video games and has made billions for its misguided director Lucas...Ohh yeahhh

escobert
08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Hmm I'm going to look for that tonight when I watch it.

FreaQaZoiD
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Have Fun =P

Its when he gets out of the X-wing and Leia runs up to him.

Cz
08-02-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't think I even need to mention the famous Stormtrooper-door incident.

Damn, I already did.

Wilder
08-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I liked the name "The Birth of The empire" , but they changed it to a stupid one, waaa , itīs no fair

Az Lionheart
08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
What? No. The teddy bear movie sucked. Everyone knows that The Empire Strikes Back was the best.

...teddy bear movie....lol....:lol:

Christmas
04-21-2022, 08:19 AM
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

I HAVE THE HIGHGROUND!!

POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!!!