PDA

View Full Version : the best RPGS

aeris2001x2
07-31-2004, 04:35 AM
Hey ppl, i,m just curious what other rpgs u recommend i should get outside final fantasy. apart from final fantasy the only rpg i have is shadow hearts.

i bet most wont be avaliable in uk though. i mean of course there is chrono cross and trigger, xenogears and xenosaga, terraenigma sukioden etc but non of them r uk.

and i,ve played alot of rpgs and hated alot of them. vagrant story, grandia, grandia 2, jade coccoon, summoner, kouldelka and wild arms 3 i remember in particulary 4 sucking. infact the only one of note i,ve played was saga frontier 2.

so what should i get? is skys of arcadia worth it? does unlimited saga really suck that much? breath of fire seris a good one?

i,d prefer turn based ones though. zelda is good and all but i have never been fond of complete real time rpgs.

after ffXI what rpg should be nxt?

Shlup
07-31-2004, 04:36 AM
My favorite RPG is Star Ocean 2. :)

aeris2001x2
07-31-2004, 04:37 AM
cool, i,ve heard of that seris, though i,m not sure uk has it which is always so annoying :mad2:

Shoeberto
07-31-2004, 04:41 AM
From what I've heard, Skies of Arcadia is one of the best RPG experiences you'll ever had. I can't give a first-hand account of it, though.

If you're into PC-style (read: not Japanese) RPGs, I recommend highly the Fallout series.

Yamaneko
07-31-2004, 04:45 AM
Deus Ex

Trumpet Thief
07-31-2004, 05:14 AM
Xenosaga, Xenogears, or Super Mario RPG.

Erdrick Holmes
07-31-2004, 05:20 AM
Suikoden 1 and 2

Raistlin
07-31-2004, 05:39 AM
Suikoden II is the best RPG ever made. The Suikoden series is the best RPG series ever made.

Lunar SSSC is also an excellent RPG(my second favorite overall).

Breath of Fire III is a damn good RPG as well.

Del Murder
07-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Heh, did you just copy that from the last thread we had on this subject?

I recommend the Breath of Fire (SNES, PSX) or Dragon Warrior (NES) series. In terms of next-gen there's not really much there that isn't Square affliated. Plenty of good rpg's for SNES though.

Rainecloud
07-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Grandia (the first one), Vagrant Story 1 or 2 and all of the above.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Xenogears hands down.

Zante
07-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Try some DßD based RPGs, like Baldur's Gate or SWKotOR.

edczxcvbnm
07-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny II(Eternia), Breath of Fire 1, Breath of Fire 2, Breath of Fire 3, Parasite Eve, Lunar Sivler Star Story Complete, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Super Mario RPG.

Those are some but I don't know how well you will like most of them. Tales and Grandia are not turn based.

What you need to do is download some SNES roms. www.oneminuteleft.com is an awesome site. On this page (http://www.omlclassics.com/snes/) you will find boxes that say action, adventure blah blah blah. Click on RPG...I hope you can handle if from there. OH YEAH! If don't don't have an emulator you will need one. I suggest Zsnes.

Ultima Shadow
07-31-2004, 04:44 PM
does unlimited saga really suck that much?

Yea, unlimited saga really sucks that much!

Yea, maybe that would be a good idea. I really enjoyed Baldurs Gate II! With the trone of bhaal expansion it's a godly game. It's the best D&D ever made! I once slayed every person in whole Alcatla! :evilking:

Maxico
07-31-2004, 04:50 PM
ok, pretty much EVERYTHING thats been said (Bar around 3 or 4) is not available in the uk.

chu52
07-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Not, ff, Kingdom hearts.

gokufusionss1
07-31-2004, 05:49 PM
i'm not happy skies of arcadia being touted as one of the best RPG's ever, the character development and story aren't that riverting, the battle system is slow and clunky and the towns even the whole game seem formulaic. don't get me wrong i'm enjoying playing the game but best rpg nahhh.

Shoeberto
07-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Also noteable:
Fallout 1 and 2
Neverwinter Nights
Diablo 2 (sort-of based on D20)

07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
I like Golden Sun 1 and 2 best I think. That game rules....

Raistlin
07-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Heh, did you just copy that from the last thread we had on this subject?
No, but it did have the same gist, didn't it?

crono_logical
07-31-2004, 08:28 PM
I want to see what Magna Carta will be like, but I think that comes out in Japan this September :p

Ultima Shadow
07-31-2004, 11:53 PM
I like Golden Sun 1 and 2 best I think. That game rules....
Oh, yea! I almost forgot those! Golden sun is the best GBA RPG there is... It's the best GBA game there is! And in golden sun II... belive it or not... but there's a super boss who's closer to Penance than the Dark Magus Sissters... WAY closer! He's the second hardest RPG boss I've ever faced and really... he's not far from Penance! :eek:

Also there's some other (way easier but yet challanging) super bosses. Gameplay, storyline and character development are all great! Even the graphic and sound is very good for being a GBA game and some of the musics really rocks! If you have a GBA... then Golden sun + Golden sun II: the lost age is a MUST BUY!!!!!!!!!

Erased
08-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Golden Sun freakin' rocks. any news on a third? anyone, anyone?

aeris2001x2
08-01-2004, 12:50 AM
well thanks peeps, i have a nice list of rpgs 2 go through now. hopefully i can find an non square rpg i like outside shadow hearts. :D

Ultima Shadow
08-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Golden Sun freakin' rocks. any news on a third? anyone, anyone?
Don't know... but it MUST be a third one... you know, you never SAW *him* die in the end of golden sun II.

well thanks peeps, i have a nice list of rpgs 2 go through now. hopefully i can find an non square rpg i like outside shadow hearts. :D
Golden Sun is not a Square game.

aeris2001x2
08-01-2004, 12:56 AM
exactly so hopefully i will like it. i,m very picky on my rpgs though

Ultima Shadow
08-01-2004, 12:59 AM
exactly so hopefully i will like it. i,m very picky on my rpgs though
Well, in the begining it can feel alittle annoying that the dammage isn't displayed like in FF... but after a while you get used to it and this IS a gret RPG. :) Only problem is that I like the villain in GS1 so much that I want to cry when you beat him. :(

aeris2001x2
08-01-2004, 01:02 AM
i will give it as much chance as ffII and complete it(or at least try) and then decide.

hey any other rpgs u like ultima? god it sucks being in uk with close 2 zero of these SNES CLASSICS avaliable.

Ultima Shadow
08-01-2004, 01:08 AM
hey any other rpgs u like ultima? god it sucks being in uk with close 2 zero of these SNES CLASSICS avaliable.
Yea, I know... it really sux. :mad:
Well... as I said earlier... Baldurs Gate II is a good choise if you like D&D. Mario RPG is actually a very good game. It's not relesed in the uk as far as I know... but you can play it on snes emulator.

Picture from Golden Sun: http://www.tidalweb.com/mercury/images/saturos1.jpg

aeris2001x2
08-01-2004, 01:55 AM
hey i just found this rpg i rember seeing before and thinking it looked good. the Hack seris.

i know its based on the Hack-sign anime thing which is an acclaimed anime that is not avaliable here. anyone know if this game or its sequal is any good?

Ultima Shadow
08-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Sorry but I've never heard of that game. Hack? ah, well... I must check that up someday.

zacks_clone
08-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Legend of Dragoon wasnt so bad.Its really to bad that you dont see it tossed about as much as the final fantasy games-good story,and though the combat style drove me nuts it was still fun.

Dragonfire
08-01-2004, 03:26 AM
anyone ever play the Lufia series on SNES? I liked 2 the best.

Lord Chainsaw
08-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Also there's some other (way easier but yet challanging) super bosses. Gameplay, storyline and character development are all great! Even the graphic and sound is very good for being a GBA game and some of the musics really rocks! If you have a GBA... then Golden sun + Golden sun II: the lost age is a MUST BUY!!!!!!!!!

I must...resist...the urge to start an argument over this!

All I'm gonna say is that Golden Sun is the last RPG I'd ever recommend anyone play.

Mo-Nercy
08-01-2004, 06:39 AM
If you like chibi anime characters, japanese in-battle voiceovers, time travel, uncensored swearing, sexual references and ninjas, I recommend Tales of Phantasia for the SNES.

Just download an emulator liek ZSNES and play off your computer. It actually makes the game a lot easier. While you're at it, get Chrono Trigger too. Arguably the best RPG ever made.

edczxcvbnm
08-01-2004, 10:59 AM
hey i just found this rpg i rember seeing before and thinking it looked good. the Hack seris.

i know its based on the Hack-sign anime thing which is an acclaimed anime that is not avaliable here. anyone know if this game or its sequal is any good?

The .hack games take place 6 months after the events of the .hack TV series. You can play the games perfectly fine with out the TV series as the characters are completely unreleated. Although the game is not turn based at all and is a simulation of an Online RPG. There are 4 parts to the .hack series of games and they create essentially one huge game. They are not very long either.

I love the games and I find them to be a blast but considering you didn't really like Grandia or other non-turn based games this might be even worse as you don't even go to a fight screen...enemies just appear on the spot and you have to fight them and you can't run away.

Meat Puppet
08-01-2004, 11:05 AM
TES: Daggerfall, it's got poo graphics and is hard to get the hang of, but all-in-all it gave me a fun time playing. (I got bored and quit before I clocked it, but I must've wasted 100's of hours)
There's 2D guys that say HALT in a robotic voice.

If you have XP, it's possible (but difficult) to play this game.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 11:42 AM
anyone ever play the Lufia series on SNES? I liked 2 the best.

Lufia was a really good game 1 was better than 2 though, and .hack is about people in a MMORPG Massively Muiltiplayer Online Role Playing Game trying to solve the secrets of "the world"

btw new episodes of .hack//legend of the twilight on Cartoon Network Fridays @ 1AM

Ultima Shadow
08-01-2004, 11:58 AM
I must...resist...the urge to start an argument over this!

All I'm gonna say is that Golden Sun is the last RPG I'd ever recommend anyone play.
Well, since some people think FFVIII sux and I just can't understand why because I love that game... I won't argument over this either. But anyone who think the storyline in GS sux must be mentaly sick. :D

You'r just a very strange person if you don't like GS. :tongue:

Trumpet Thief
08-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Legend of Dragoon wasnt so bad.Its really to bad that you dont see it tossed about as much as the final fantasy games-good story,and though the combat style drove me nuts it was still fun.

I agree. Some parts of that game were very enjoyable.

Storyline wise, I think Xenosaga and Xenogears would come out on top. Although the beginning part of XS had only a light story, it waws building up to the later part of The Will to Power, and when the villan came in, the game grew as wel. The character's also had detailed pasts, especially Jr. (Rubedo).

Xenogears beats it in story though; Yet I could be proven wrong once Beyond Good and Evil comes, which, from what I have learned, is going to have a great plot as well. Although I love Mitsuda's work in the XG game and many other games, Nobuo was just a better composer. Still, I loved many pieces from both of them.

I do like the FF games a lot as well, but I find Xenosaga/Xenogears and SMRPG better.

Erased
08-01-2004, 05:49 PM

Not available here? I'm not sure where you sleep, but of course it's available here! .hack//INFECTION, .hack//MUTATION, .hack//OUTBREAK, and .hack//QUARANTINE aren't too bad. A bit short, but not too bad. I've played all of them and beaten all but the last one, and they're all pretty good if you enjoy the anime.

Az Lionheart
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
KOTOR is good :D

aeris2001x2
08-02-2004, 03:08 AM
Not available here? I'm not sure where you sleep, but of course it's available here! .hack//INFECTION, .hack//MUTATION, .hack//OUTBREAK, and .hack//QUARANTINE aren't too bad. A bit short, but not too bad. I've played all of them and beaten all but the last one, and they're all pretty good if you enjoy the anime.

the ANIMEi is not in Uk!
:(

i dont think i,ll get them after what edczxcvbnm said. as a general rule i absolutlely despise real time rpgs, the exception being Zelda Ocarina of time.

Ultima Shadow
08-02-2004, 03:24 AM
the exception being Zelda Ocarina of time.
"a link to the past" is the greatest of all the Zelda games :D

Trumpet Thief
08-02-2004, 03:30 AM
"a link to the past" is the greatest of all the Zelda games :D

I got stumped in every area of the game. It was too confusing. I mean who would've known that You have to chop at the curtains, and that Agahnim was on the other side?

aeris2001x2
08-02-2004, 04:00 AM
i honetly have never liked the old Zelda games. dont know why, they just lack sumthin. and that GC Zelda :eek: wtf was that?

ChaosCalibur
08-02-2004, 06:27 AM
a games other than FF? Look no further, Star Ocean 2 and Breath of fire are like... the best RPGs ever! I still play Star Ocean 2, and i had it for 5 years :\ it just never gets old... Ohh BTW, look, i made a siggy today! Look down, lower, there.

Big D
08-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Vagrant Story 1 or 22!? There's a sequel? If so, when did it come out, and on what system?

Lord Chainsaw
08-02-2004, 08:37 PM
WHOAMG I second that. I want news on this Vagrant Story 2...NOW!

CloudySky
08-02-2004, 08:58 PM
I think almost all good RPGs were mentioned except Arcanum (PC) and Might&Magic series (PC).