PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Idea

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-31-2004, 06:45 AM
I've noticed that the mods always hate when old threads are revived and lock the immediately. I was wondering why you don't just set the forum to default to displaying only forums that have been posted on within the last few weeks or so in order to avoid such a thing from happening?

Shlup
07-31-2004, 06:54 AM
You want us to make it so that you can't see older threads? Que?

crono_logical
07-31-2004, 06:58 AM
I'll consider it later :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-31-2004, 07:00 AM
It's the whole "Out of Sight out of Mind" thing. Usually people who revive threads are either newbies or really bored people who go browsing through the threads, find something that looked interesting, and try to revive them. I know that many people don't notice the little "Display threads from x date" thing, if they can't see the threads you don't want to revive, chances are they never will.

Kirobaito
07-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Sometimes I enjoy browsing through old threads that aren't already saved on my computer just for the heck of it. That would suck.

Rainecloud
07-31-2004, 07:39 AM
Reviving old threads is indeed dumb, but disallowing people from viewing them is even dumber.

What would happen if we wanted to search for a favourite thread that isn't in the archive? :/

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Well, that's the thing. From my experiences with forums, they can be set to only display threads from the last, say, thirty days by default, but that doesn't mean the old threads aren't still there. They could still be searched for, of course, and you could change the setting manually to show "all" threads, thus allowing you to look at all the old ones to your hearts content. It's just most people who are going to go revive threads won't think to do that.

Big D
07-31-2004, 02:05 PM
How about if threads automatically close themselves after one month (General Chat) or two months (everywhere else) after the last post?

o_O
07-31-2004, 03:54 PM
I think having the forum display cutoff set to thirty days is a good idea. I would make it less....ten days, even. I don't mind clicking two more times to get to the thread I want.

crono_logical
07-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Default forum display cutoff at 30 days is fine (or maybe 1 week for Gen. Chat) - users that know more/how to do it can override it in their profiles anyway :p Of course, I now need to be lazy to change all the forums to such a setting :p

EDIT: <3 MySQL :monster:

Del Murder
07-31-2004, 06:05 PM
What would happen if we wanted to search for a favourite thread that isn't in the archive? :/
Bingo. Plus, some forums don't get as much traffic as others. I'd allow a 2 month old thread to be revived in, say, the FF Tactics Forum, but not in GC or the Lounge. If we can make a cutoff date (for closure) specific per forum that would be nice, but I doubt that is even feasible, let alone 'simple'.

Yamaneko
07-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Leave it as is. I don't mind closing threads.

crono_logical
07-31-2004, 07:15 PM
I already changed it though :p But like I said, if it's overridden in your user options, you won't see a difference anyway.

Loony BoB
07-31-2004, 08:21 PM
I thought it defaulted to 30 days anyway - I changed it in my profile ages ago. People will still search for threads, though, that's how they end up getting bumped (at least, that's my theory, because it happens at vBulletin all the time). We don't have them deleted after that short a time because some of them have helpful solutions for people's problems for FF's.

crono_logical
07-31-2004, 08:29 PM
A forum about computer software and a forum about games work completely differently though :p