PDA

View Full Version : The Next James Bond.

Agent Proto
08-01-2004, 01:33 AM
This may surprise you, but they have chosen Australian actor, Eric Bana, star of "Hulk" and starred in "Troy" to be the next James Bond after Pierce Brosnan stepped down. Do you find this interesting?

Amnesia Case
08-01-2004, 02:29 AM
I hate James Bond.

Del Murder
08-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Hm, not dignified enough.

The Captain
08-01-2004, 03:02 AM
He has potential, but we'll have to see. I was rooting for fellow Aussie Hugh Jackman myself, but Bana is an interesting choice.

Take care all.

War Angel
08-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Ummm... isn't James Bond British? That's why all the actours that played him so far, were British as well (except for Lazenby, but he played only in one movie). I think it would be somewhat awkward to have some Aussie as Her Majesty's Secret Agent man.

Big D
08-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Ummm... isn't James Bond British? That's why all the actours that played him so far, were British as well (except for Lazenby, but he played only in one movie). I think it would be somewhat awkward to have some Aussie as Her Majesty's Secret Agent man.Funnily enough, there has only ever been one British actor playing Bond.

Sean Connery = Scottish

George Lazenby = Ocker

Timothy Dalton = Welsh

Pierce Brosnan = Irish

Roger Moore was the only Englishman to ever play the "most English" secret agent. Basically, he could be played by anyone who looked the part and could fake an accent convincingly.

Eric Bana's certainly a fine actor, and a good age to start playing Bond. He's got the right sort of look, too. Hugh Jackman, on the other hand... a bit too gruff and happy-go-lucky, perhaps. I can't help but think of him as Wolverine, and that taints any impression I have of him as Bond.

tomothy
08-01-2004, 04:52 AM
That's crap. Being from Australia and watching Eric Bana on crummy sketch comedy shows while growing up. I can't take him seriously in any somber role. Give Bond to Ricky Gervais instead. :mad:

Ouch!
08-01-2004, 05:23 AM
I had heard they were considering Hugh Jackman as one of their choices. I would find that absolutely terrifying, so I don't really care who else they picked. It could have been a lot worse.

Miriel
08-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Last week it was reported that Clive Owen was signed, 2 days ago it was reported that Orlando Bloom was officially the new James Bond, and now it's Bana. It could be true, but I won't believe it until the news is officially released by Eon.

Big D
08-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Orlando Bloom = no.
As much as I respect him as an actor, I just don't feel he'd fit the role.
Besides, he's simply far too young. Although Bond is ageless, he needs to be at least in his late thirties, to give the impression of having years of experience and a distinguished history in the military and secret service.

Cz
08-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Funnily enough, there has only ever been one British actor playing Bond.

Sean Connery = Scottish

George Lazenby = Ocker

Timothy Dalton = Welsh

Pierce Brosnan = Irish

The Scots and Welsh are British. But I see your point. :)

Bana wouldn't have been my personal choice, but I do think that he'll do a good job in the role. Certainly a hell of a lot better than Robbie Williams would, anyway. *shudders*

Mo-Nercy
08-01-2004, 11:44 AM
George Lazenby was Australian. And "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" is in my honest opinion, the best Bond film ever because of the unique and much deeper plot (but the indestructable Beemer in Tomorrow Never Dies makes it a close second) I'm not saying that Eric Bana will be just as good because he's Australian but I've noticed that Bond films have recently become much more action packed to match society's demands of the Bond genre. Compare the Pierce Brosnan Bond films to Sean Connery's and you'll notice that Sean Connery never had to jump out of a skyscrape or surf a giant glacier wave. Eric Bana seems to be the type of guy that suits the action film genre so we'll just have to wait and see if the films match the man.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 11:58 AM
here we go, another James Bond actor...

Rainecloud
08-01-2004, 12:49 PM
I think he'll "fit the bill" quite well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he copes in the role.

Flashback007
08-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Ummm... isn't James Bond British? .

Nope, James Bond is actually Scottish. Afcourse as noticed before that afcourse is also British. But originally Bond is a Scottish man.

Breine
08-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Eric Bana is too young to be James Bond... Far too young.

chichi
08-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I remember when Eric Bana was in the Comedy Company( or was it Full Frontal?) on Australian TV! He was soooo funny! But yeah, I can't really see him playing James Bond. Hugh Jackman I can totally see playing the role though.

Vaprice
08-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I heard Mr. T lol jk. But would'nt that be kinda funny, yet scary? But who do they suppose that an Australian actor could pull off a british character? He just better have a good accent if he does get picked. *no offense to any austrailian people here*

-N-
08-01-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't think Bana is suave enough, as Del noted.

Lindy
08-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Eric Bana = Chopper

Chopper = Unsubtle violence

Unsubtle violence does not become Bond.

kikimm
08-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Eh....doesn't seem to have what it takes, imo. Not classy enough, or suave enough. I think Adrian Paul would be a much better choice.

:D

Polaris
08-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Another James Bond???? He never dies????? james Bond died long ago I think now his films aren't anymore intersting!

FreaQaZoiD
08-02-2004, 01:46 PM
) I'm not saying that Eric Bana will be just as good because he's Australian but I've noticed that Bond films have recently become much more action packed to match society's demands of the Bond genre.

Agreed. But also add that there's TOO MUCH SEX NOW. Every 2nd sentence in Die Another Day was suggestive, and Bond had sex for like, half the movie.

Off topic again, Great we've moved from dodging normal things like bullets and missiles to giant space lasers. FPS Speaking, dude, no way joo can strafe that shit!

This important announcement brought to you by - Listarine Cinnaburst Pocketpaks 'We Kick t3h Shit out of Tic-Tacs'

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Another James Bond???? He never dies????? james Bond died long ago I think now his films aren't anymore intersting!
I don't think so. Often the film's theme will change to match the general viewing public's perspective and expectations. For example, during the Cold War, the bad guys in Bond films tended to be the good ol' Russians. In the more recent films, the bad guys have been the media, the North Koreans etc. I think MGM's nack to change the film in such a way that it reflects the society's conventions of the time it was made. I find it quite interesting that James Bond is kinda like a time capsule because it gives you an impression of the world in different timeframes.

Polaris
08-02-2004, 01:56 PM
a time capsules that never end... what's wrong wuith the imagination??? Create another James Bond, be more realistic!!! Spies also die! I use to like it but there are more than 10, and Pierce Bronsman is getting old...

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Create another James Bond, be more realistic!!! Spies also die! I use to like it but there are more than 10, and Pierce Bronsman is getting old...
Isn't that what this thread's about? I'm sure MGM knows that Eric Bana isn't the elegant, suave James Bond everyone knows. I'm sure that the next Eric Bana Bond film will have a lot of stuff blowing up, more guns, more sex, possibly more gambling (haven't seen that in a while)

Woof..

Polaris
08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
LMAO!!! I hope that it'll have more gun, more men, less sex and more action!!!!!

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2004, 02:16 PM
less sex and more action!!!!!
I detect an oxymoron.

Polaris
08-02-2004, 02:24 PM
a what???

FreaQaZoiD
08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Two opposite words next to each other to create a humorous kinda word-play...thing...

eg. Microsoft Works. Military Intelligence.

Haha Microsoft Works...get it? *wind whistles* *tumbleweed*

*shoots self in head*

U insinuated that sex and action were two different things but to some people...maybe not :)

~~~ :cool: 'I make this look good'

Polaris
08-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Action yuo know people running, shooting, slapping each other!!!!!! Not action (Thata ction that you are thinkinhg!!!!)

m4tt
08-02-2004, 06:14 PM
I've never been a fan of the Bond movies, so this isn't really that big of a deal for me. But I think the creators fired Brosnan, because they couldn't have a Bond with a wussy mustache.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040727/482/nyet12907271804

Ouch!
08-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Proto, you just made my day.

Burtsplurt
08-02-2004, 07:42 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only real candidate is Leslie Phillips. Eric Banana, Clive Owen etc. are useless in comparison.

Miriel
08-02-2004, 08:21 PM
ComingSoon.net has confirmed that The Hulk and Troy star Eric Bana has not been cast as James Bond in MGM's and Eon Productions' 21st film in the popular franchise, despite the rumors.

UK tabloid News of the World said the actor was negotiating with the series producers and that he would take over the role from Pierce Brosnan and begin filming later this year. "Eric is the guy they want but he has a reputation for being demanding," an "insider" said. News of the World went on to say that "they want to modernise Bond and turn him into a youthful, suave and modern hero to compete with the likes of Spider-Man and Keanu (Reeves) in the Matrix."

This story was picked up by numerous news outlets, including worldwide news agency AFP. But we have learned that Bana has not even been approached for the role of 007.

Brosnan told Entertainment Weekly last week that he was done with the franchise after four films. "I've said all I've got to say on the world of James Bond. Bond is another lifetime, behind me." Speculation has it, however, that Brosnan has simply started the negotiation process in the media, and may still be in the picture after all.

In related news, Variety reported yesterday that "James Bond 21" is being set up to start shooting before March in order to be released on November 18, 2005. The film's producers have agreed on a plot and writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, who wrote the last two Bond pics, turned in the first draft of their script last week.

So I guess that rumor is officially debunked.

I personally think that Clive Owen is too good for this role. I'd hate to see him get tied down to the franchise when he's so close to getting that Oscar of his. Rupert Everett seems like he'd be good Bond. Sly, suave, handsome...but I have a feeling some fans won't be too happy to have an openly gay man portray Bond, no matter how perfect he'd be for the role.

remi07
08-03-2004, 03:29 AM
On one of those morning news/talk shows they were talking about the people who were being considered for the role, and they said Cuba Goodings Jr.
That would be interesting.

Big D
08-03-2004, 04:52 AM
A periodical in my country once suggested that Ralph Fiennes would fit the role well. "they want to modernise Bond and turn him into a youthful, suave and modern hero to compete with the likes of Spider-Man and Keanu (Reeves) in the Matrix."
That'd be beyond terrible. "Ooh! Look! A market force! We'd better do exactly what it says instead of thinking for ourselves and making a movie that we actually think is good..." As far as I can tell, Bond has always had an element of physical maturity, even if his libido is often trapped in its teens. A young man simply can't have had a long career in the Royal Navy and then become a brilliant, top-ranking intelligence operative. Low-budget TV shows might say so, but reality would beg to differ. Good things take time; Bond needs to be in his late 30s, at least.
It'd be nice to see a few Bond scripts which actually involve spy work, i.e. what he used to do back in the old days before he became just another carbon-copy, Schwarzenneger-ish, big dumb "blow stuff up" commando-type.

Cz
08-03-2004, 11:06 AM
That'd be beyond terrible. "Ooh! Look! A market force! We'd better do exactly what it says instead of thinking for ourselves and making a movie that we actually think is good..." As far as I can tell, Bond has always had an element of physical maturity, even if his libido is often trapped in its teens. A young man simply can't have had a long career in the Royal Navy and then become a brilliant, top-ranking intelligence operative. Low-budget TV shows might say so, but reality would beg to differ. Good things take time; Bond needs to be in his late 30s, at least.
It'd be nice to see a few Bond scripts which actually involve spy work, i.e. what he used to do back in the old days before he became just another carbon-copy, Schwarzenneger-ish, big dumb "blow stuff up" commando-type.

Yes, yes, and double yes.

Big D
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Yes, yes, and double yes."Double-oh-yes"?

*Boom boom tiss*

Heath
08-03-2004, 11:55 AM
"Double-oh-yes"?

*Boom boom tiss*

That's probably the best post of this thread :p

The only Bonds I really liked were Moore and Connery so eh.