PDA

View Full Version : Sprites

Aerio
08-01-2004, 09:32 AM
>_> okay so I started playing this game again. I played it for a couple hours when my memory card...was accidently stepped on *Cough*. Anyways its the Playstation version...as you prob guessed...and I was just wondering if anyone knew why the sprites look nothing like the CG characters? It kinda annoys me >_> I prefer the sprite looks over the CG animations of them. How does the main char go from brown hair...to white? and I understand pink hair isn't usually the same in animation so I get the girls. but Galuf...his animation looks so much different from his sprite its annoying. >_> anyways question again. Anyone know why they made them look so different? Did they just get bored? or were they just given discriptions without lookin at already made sprites perhaps? Sorry if this has been posted a million times...I know I hate it when someone posts the thing thats been posted before. >_< Ttyl

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 11:29 AM
who knows, thats something you'll have to ask them...

Triple T
08-01-2004, 02:38 PM
FFV is old, so the characters got old as the game got older. :)

Dragoon Kain
08-01-2004, 03:21 PM
what annoys me is that as a sprite galuf has a beard but as cg he has a mustache instead :mad2:

Jolts
08-01-2004, 04:19 PM
What I don't like about the PS version is the massive loading time, but that has nothing to do with the subject at hand :lol:. I do like how they added Cloud and Squall sprites in FFV and FFVI, but they only appear once in a blue moon at the beginning screen (where a randomly chosen character runs around doing some weird stuff).

ShivaBlizzard8
08-01-2004, 06:30 PM
The reason why the designs are different is that FF5 was made for a 16-bit game system - Super Nintendo, I think. Back then, game programs couldn't recreate on-screen the character designs that Square artist Amano had sketched out for the FF5 characters - the graphics weren't good enough. So the game programers redesigned the in-game sprites so that they would work on-screen, changing Amano's ideas.

When FF5 was re-released for the PSX, technology had caught up, so the programers thought it would be nice to use Amano's ORIGINAL designs for the characters in the new FMV sequences. The CG cuts of Bartz, Reina, Galuf, Krile, and Faris were how the characters were SUPPOSED to look from the very beginning.

You can find some of the original FF5 artwork here: http://www.ffshrine.org/ff5/ff5_amanoart.php

Aerio
08-01-2004, 09:13 PM
thanks ^.^ I kinda like the sprites better >_> lol

ShivaBlizzard8
08-02-2004, 11:22 PM
LOL :)