PDA

View Full Version : Which system?

stragee
08-02-2004, 03:13 PM
So i'm thinkin about buying ff11 but have'nt decided which system to get it for. The ps2 or the pc. No need to factor in system specs i've got that covered. I'm simply looking here for some opinions about what you guys think of each version etc.

Side note:

I've heard some pretty nasty things about this game since it came out. Like for instance if you cancel your subscription for too long Square-Unix forces you to *rebuy* the whole game over again. Anyone find that completely crazy? =-o In the past i've taken breaks from like EQ etc for 2-3mnths at a time etc I think everyone does with these types of games at some point. Talk about feeling like your being punished for leaving for a while. Quite a nasty but very effective marketing tool I suppose imo.

Fat Chocobo
08-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I have the PC version, and I love it. I don't know much about the playstation version so I can't say if it's better or worse. I use my keyboard for pretty much everything and it's really easy to use, but I don't know how it compairs to a controller.

I know you can cancel a character for I think 3 months before it gets deleted, but I've never heard about rebuying the whole game.

ZeZipster
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I have the playstation version, and I like it. If I want to auto run I hit L1, if I want to rest I hit L3. Although I have a USB keyboard and the only reason I didn't buy it for the computer is because I didn't want to update my hardware...

VDeity
08-02-2004, 08:13 PM
I am a PC player, and I've seen/compared both PC and PS2. The graphics for the PS2 version are really at a low setting, but for PC with the higher specs you can set the graphics so much higher than the Playstation and it looks really nice. Controls are never a problem, but I like using my keyboard for most everything rather than a controller, and I don't feel limited at all, however all it takes is some getting used to and you can take either. I guess a good thing about having FFXI on the PS2 is you can lay down on your bed and play or something :) You have to have a comfortable chair to sit and enjoy FFXI on the PC ^^

Lionx
08-03-2004, 03:07 AM
If you dont have a network adapter, you might want PC, and even if you do have it, i might say PC still because you dont have to shell out $100 bucks for the HDD too. ^^;

ZeZipster
08-03-2004, 04:17 AM
i might say PC still because you dont have to shell out $100 bucks for the HDD too. ^^;

/em cries

I COULD HAVE BOUGHT SO MUCH CAFFEINE. :cry:

stragee
08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the pc version may be best for me. <shrug Although both ofcoarse have their advantages.

Looks like most of you didnt express an opinion about the reordering issue. Its true though a friend of mine bought the pc version and quit for a while and discovered that, kinda bites heh.

Anywho have fun playing (/gets jelous a bit more cause he's not playin)

Aerio
08-04-2004, 09:56 AM
If you quit playing for 3 months they told me they delete yer account...you don't have to rebuy the game itself, they do the same thing with EQ to from when I played it. ^.^

Rostum
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
They don't delete anything after 3 months, they just don't garantee that they will have you character and pol account after that time if you come back for it. If they don't well then you will need to buy a new game.

stragee
08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
/Nod I'd say most if not all other companies suggest that after a certain amount of time your chars may be deleted. But even in that they usually dont, for instance i'll go 6mnths or more before re-subscribing to EQ and my chars will still be there..and even longer for AC.

On the other hand rebuying the whole game again is a whole new ballgame heh. Beleive it or not folks its true check your handbooks ;/ Never had a company threaten that before=-o. Hopefully they'l be flexible though <shrug

Mysk
08-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Page 11 of the manual states clearly:

CAUTION! About Your Member Information

Your member information is retained on the server for three months after your access to PlayOnline is disabled. Should you decide to reactivate yor PlayOnline account and use PlayOnline services again during this three-month period, simply log into PlayOnline and follow the instructions there. You will be able to use the same account information that was registered at the time you unsubscribed from PlayOnline.

After this three-month period has elapsed, you can no longer use your previous account information. You must create a new account to use PlayOnline again. Please note that this means you must purchase a new copy of the software from a retailer and reregister for PlayOnline.

The bold / italic imphasis is my own.

There you have it folks. You must purchase a new copy of the game if you unsubscribe for more than 3 months. No if, and, or maybes about it.

~Mysk
EDITED: To fix a couple of typos. Sorry! That's what I get for typing while looking at the book instead of at the screen.

sephrothi75
09-02-2004, 03:48 AM
PC version rocks but not as much as my new Signature i got to work

Rostum
09-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Page 11 of the manual states clearly:

The bold / italic imphasis is my own.

There you have it folks. You must purchase a new copy of the game if you unsubscribe for more than 3 months. No if, and, or maybes about it.

~Mysk
EDITED: To fix a couple of typos. Sorry! That's what I get for typing while looking at the book instead of at the screen.

Actually, that's not how it works. =\ They just don't promise they'll keep all your information (character, POL ID, etc) after 3 months. Not that they WILL delete it.

Ichy
09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Wow, a third thread about the same thing in just over one week!
--> http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49835 <--
--> http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=50033 <--
No worries, just razzing you. Wish people would take the time to read before asking, though.

As for the whole deletion and loss of CD key and whatnot it's hard to say. Like it's been said, they clearly state that your CD key would become invalid and that your characters would be lost, however if you take a look at this (http://www.anarchyonline.com/content/community/people/lookup/chars.html) you can see that one of my toons on AO, abandoned almost one year ago, is still there even though they claim to purge every 3 months as well (do a search there for Ichnameist). I've heard of people going back to AC more than a year after quitting to find their characters intact, too. As for the CD key, I highly doubt they'd do that. I mean, you spend so much money already, why on earth would you let anyone screw you like that when there are so many other games to play? I figure that was put in there to A) Scare people into not cancelling for fear of losing the ability to play ever again; and B) Cover their arses in case something horribly wrong happens to their archived data during one of their trademark 8 hour maintenance schedules.

Either way, here's a simple solution: If you're going to take a break, don't go for more than 2 months at a time. Either that or just pay the fee while you take your break, I know it sounds silly to say that, seems like a waste of money, but seriously most people make that money in an hour, 2 tops, at work.

DJZen
09-02-2004, 07:23 PM
It's a good thing someone pointed this out. I was under the impression that you just needed to re-register POL and buy a new content ID. That's pretty messed up though, some of us don't want to be playing this game 'till the end of time, but might want to play it again a year down the line. I can understand that they don't want to do you favors if you're not using their service, but why can't you just re-register? I should ask Square about this.