PDA

View Full Version : Best Opening

Trumpet Thief
08-04-2004, 03:56 AM
I don't really feel like making this into a poll. Anyhoo, which FF did you think had the best opening. No I don't mean graphicwise, 'cause that is nothing important, but as in grabbed your attention, and made you want to play more.

As much as I loved FFVII's gaze at Midgar, then Aeris, I would have to say FFVIII's, because Liberi Fatali and the battle between Squall and Seifer was pretty cool. Also, I loved FFIX's opening. It started the game with a peaceful setting, rather then a big boom that gets you started right away. What about you?

Storm
08-04-2004, 04:10 AM
I love the FFIV opening where the five Red Wings ships are flying together. The music is during this sequence is fantastic, as well.

The FFVII opening is also really good.

Wilder
08-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi, not a hard question for me, Itīs obvious that the FFVIII was the biggest shocking Intro of all The FF , VII was just misterious, and IX too calm down, Does X have an intro ?

Cz
08-04-2004, 09:14 AM
FFVI without a doubt. It is perhaps the most atmospheric of all the FF intros, setting the tone of the game perfectly. I honestly couldn't think of a better way to start the game.

Sefie1999AD
08-04-2004, 10:28 AM
I'll have to go with FFIX's intro because that one keeps going on for so long while still being interesting and having lots of unique things to do.

FF1 - Not really an intro, but you mostly level up a bit, beat up Garland, cross the bridge and see the opening credits and the main Final Fantasy theme that is so good that it makes the intro already great.
FF2 - It's alright, but nothing too great. You get ambushed by the empire's army and are beaten up, but the rebels rescue your wounded characters.
FF3j - I like this one. The Light Warriors wander in a cave and throw various comments at each other while they're walking around. Then you find a crystal and get its jobs, and once again, you'll see the opening credits with the main Final Fantasy theme.
FF4 - Great opening. Lots of powerful events and scenes, and great music. IMHO, the best parts of the opening are when Cecil decides to complain to the King and gets fired from his position as the Captain of the Red Wings and Kain comes to support him, when Rosa comes to Cecil's room in the night and has a conversation with him and when Cecil and Kain leave for the Mist Valley.
FF5 - A beautiful intro. I must say, the music is very beautiful and fits very well with the events. I always find it thrilling when the wind stops, the the scene zooms to Lenne, who's becoming worried about her father. Then King Tycoon enters the Wind Shrine and BANG! Good stuff.
FF6 - Nice intro. A war history shows up first, then a short scene with Biggs, Wedge and Tina/Terra, and then they walk through a snowy field while the opening credits are playing. Lots of things happen in Narshe, and it ends with Locke and the Moogles rescuing Tina.
FF7 - Great action intro. After the first FMV in Squaresoft's history and nice zoom-ups around Midgar, the action starts straight away as your guys infiltrate a Mako Reactor and destroy it.
FF8 - Liberi Fatali FMV is spectacular with both graphics and music. However, the opening gets quite boring after that, with all the infirmary and class scenes. The game doesn't really start building up until the landing at Dollet.
FF9 - This one is my favorite. The intro is a lot like FF6's opening, BTW. You'll see an FMV of a nightmare and a beautiful morning in Alexandria, then get introduced to Zidane, more views around Alexandria as well as orchestral music playing and the FFIX title showing up. You get to move around with Vivi, more great FMVs, a nice play event and a fun sword fighting mini-game, getting introduced to Princess Garnet, more great (and funny) FMVs, creating a "tragic" ending to Tantalus' play (which really influences the audience in the game), fighting Rusty a bit and a few more great FMVs where Tantalus' ship tries to escape Alexandria but crashes. Awesome.
FFX - An action-style intro, but it wasn't really memorable to me apart from the Blitzball game in the beginning. You see Tidus at the outskirts of Zanarkand and he tells everyone to listen to his story. Then we see him signing autographs to the fans, then a Blitzball match with heavy metal music, Sin attacking Zanarkand, Tidus and Auron fighting fiends and Sinspawns, and in the end, Tidus is taken to another world. Not a bad intro, but not too good, either.
FFX-2 - Graphically a great FMV, and Rikku and Paine are quite funny when they beat up the guards. Paine's kick reminds me of The Matrix. After the FMV, you'll do some fighting and chase Leblanc Syndicate around Luca. Finally, the real Yuna appears and some more Matrix-esque stunts are shown when she shoots around a bit like Trinity, and then Yuna/Rikku/Paine form up in a pose similar to that of Charlie's Angels. Not a bad intro, I guess.
FFXI - I've only seen the 7-minute-long intro FMV, and I think it's excellent. The graphics are fantastic, there's a nice medieval fantasy feel, a great LotR-style battle scene with dramatic music, and in the end, Aldo brings a big army of troops with him, and so begins FFXI.

ninja-yuffie
08-04-2004, 10:35 AM
ff 8

SpiritWolf
08-04-2004, 08:35 PM
I liked FFIX's intro the best

chu52
08-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I absoulty loved the FFX opening! I downloaded the song and just loved the action, suspense, intruige, of it all. Plus Zanarkand blitzing is the best sport ever!

sephiroth21
08-04-2004, 11:25 PM
well i have too say ff8 and x are a tie. 8 becauce the sword fight was really cool, i like sword fights(ffac all the way!!!)..sry for that. and x because the song during it was really kick ass.....

Ed, Edd n' Eddy
08-05-2004, 02:28 AM
FFCC

black orb
08-05-2004, 02:43 AM
>>> FF9..

-N-
08-05-2004, 05:41 AM
I like Storm's support for FFIV's introduction - I liked how it plunged me right into the story.

Czanthor's argument for FFVI is also quality - my favorite part is the opening credits with the 3 MagiTek armors walking towards Narshe and the great rendition of Tina's theme playing in the background.

The Liberi Fatali intro to FFVIII is hard to beat - it's really invigorating and exciting - however, the transition from that to class is such a letdown. :( The cutting from Rinoa to Squall/Seifer is well done.

If the play counts as part of FFIX's intro, it was really cool (Feel My Blade! and the SFX too!). But if it doesn't, then it's just uneventful. Playing people's horrid memories is too overdone, in my opinion.

I tend to like all things FFVII, so obviously this is saved for last. The musical introduction goes so well with the seamless transition from introduction to gaming. I think it was risky, but necessary to the integrity of the story that the opening focuses on Aeris and the Holy materia, but doesn't tell you who the girl is or what it is she's looking at. It really takes some risks in its presentation, and I respect that.

razor248725
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
i dont find ffVII's intro very breathtaking, just gazing up at the stars and aeris walking in the street, not that interesting, imo but good music. but the best was probably VIII's, lotsa action, blood, and other things. IX's was pretty good too, more like a movie, but was a nice change. X's first FMV was alright, but came too late

nik0tine
08-05-2004, 03:47 PM
FF8, hands down. Right behind it would probably be FF6 and FF4.

Jolts
08-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I'll do what Sephiroth1999AD did. Also, I'll be referring to the FMV intros, if applicable.

FF (Origins): LOVE THAT DRAGON :hyper:.
FFII (Origins): HAHA! :lol: This one was funny! Well, the FMV was awsome and all, but then it goes right into the little 16x16 sprites yelling at each other.
FFIII: N/A
FFIV (Chronicles): Video intro was too short, in game intro was too long.
FFV (Anthologies): It had one of those slower, kinda' boring intros. The meteor setting ablaze was pretty nifty lookin'.
FFVI (Anthologies): It was pretty good.
FFVII: Did you see all that detail? There are, like, a billion houses in there :eek:.
FFVIII: Good fight scene, good music, 'nuff said.
FFIX: Boring.
FFX: Awesome, I liked the water effect when Auron stepped in that puddle :D.
FFX-2: Again, good music (I like the vocal music in these games the most).
FFXI: Don't know, don't care.
FF12: Why, again, is this one not in Roman nurmerals? Anyway, how could I possibly know? :lol:
FFT: Boring, I usually skip it (nice feature, that skip button :lol: )
FFTA: The only thing this game has going for it is the intro. I liked the detail in most of the scenes.

Well, those are all the Final Fantasy games I've seen intros for ('cept 12, that was pretty much stating that I don't like the numerical choice).

Ultima Shadow
08-06-2004, 10:07 PM
FFVIII had the by far coolest opening FMV... but all in all I think FFVI.

Del Murder
08-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Flower girl/cut to blowing up the reactor was my favorite. (VII)

Lain
08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I think the best is in X. Music is just perfect. And besides Tidus's face looks so pretty in films. :love: