PDA

View Full Version : American McGee's Alice review

Chris
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.imanewbie.com/othergames/alicelogo.jpg

Story:
A horrible tragedy happened to Alice when she was a child. The night of the end and the beginning of a journey to insanity, Alice lost her parents during a firestorm that caught the house on fire. Alice never got over it and the poor girl ended up in an Asylum...so several years later Alice gets a weird vision from Wonderland, once again The Queen of Hearts is sturring up troubles, killing and totally destroying the once so pieceful Wonderland, so Alice must return to the big and final face-off with the Queen...not to worry Alice is not as innocent as she once was.

Graphics:
Amazing, the graphics in Alice are stunning, weird, funny and scary all at the same time. Wonderland is just so wonderfully scary, the inhabitants are so wonderfully rendered and the enviroments are equally impressive. The effects are great and especially the magic effects are stunning. There's much to be said about the graphics in Alice, some may say it's dated (Well, DUH! it's four years old) but I find them just as impressive as some of the games that's out today.
Don't let the fact that it's four years old put you off, the graphics are raveling stunning.

Sound/ Music:
The music in Alice is wonderfully composed by Nine Inch Nailes Chris Vrenna. The score is immersive, atmospheric and it suits the game perfectly. You can hear the sound of daunting music in the background as you walk down a dark forest road and you can hear the excellent sounds of horrible creatures lurking in the shadows. Speaking of sound, the sound is just as great anything else in this game, the voice-overs are magnificent and they equally match the atmospheric score that Alice has.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is simple, you pick up weapons along the road, be sure to pick up every weapon you can, they each possess great powers and great capabilities.
The controls are easy, they're simple and won't cause you any troubles, at all. There's very little to be said about the gameplay, they're simple, yet useful.
You could use cheats to get all of the weapons and the abilities to walk through walls, inviciblity and level select (mail me for the full list). Overall Alice is a very nice game, indeed, its close to be one of the best games that I've ever played and its certainly the best game of 2000.

So that was my personal review of Alice (be sure to check it out on www.gamersunderground.com). Have you played it, and what do you think about the game? feel free to express you're personal opinion.

crono_logical
08-04-2004, 09:21 PM
It was a bit on the short side :p But yeah, it was ok the first time through, since there was a bit more to it than shoot everything in sight :p

Shoeberto
08-05-2004, 03:03 AM
As a matter of fact, I just picked this up this past Friday in the dual-jewel with Clive Barker's Undying, and I dig it.

Dunno what else to say about it. It's fun.