PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorms.

Rainecloud
08-05-2004, 07:44 AM
We had a thunderstorm a couple of nights ago, and it was quite scary. The thunder was extremely loud (and made me jump so that I literally flew out of bed) and the lightning was distracting (as I was trying to sleep at the time). The rain came down heavily for a few hours, too, which caused some houses in a nearby town to be totally flooded.

- Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?
- Do you enjoy thunderstorms?
- Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child?

Please discuss. Thanks.

Armisael
08-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?Yes,not a lot though.
Do you enjoy thunderstorms?Not really.
Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child?as a child yes.

Shlup
08-05-2004, 08:29 AM
I like thunderstorms. I've always liked them, and I generally smile and laugh when the thunder gets loud. What's so scary about them? They're nice.

On the way to Las Vegas a couple weeks ago there was a thunderstorm. A pretty big one too. Ashley kept saying she saw lightning but we were in the middle of the desert so we all told her she was retarded, but there really was. A lot. It was cool.

Leeza
08-05-2004, 08:39 AM
<b>Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?</b> A few. I drove through one a couple of years ago that was really awesome! Words couldn't describe it.
<b>Do you enjoy thunderstorms?</b> Definitely.
<b>Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child?</b> Yes, but I was just a child after all. I love them now. :)

sephxangel
08-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I love thunderstorms! when there is a thunderstorm at night it makes me sleep so much better. I was never scared of them when i was a child, but my sister was.

Xander
08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
All I want to say is, they scare me. *hides*

TasteyPies
08-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Thunderstorms are cool, I get alot of em.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Rikku

Psychotic
08-05-2004, 02:39 PM
I love them. Next time there's one here, I'll climb onto my roof and taunt the clouds. I always wanted to do that.

nik0tine
08-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Thunderstorms are so nice. I live in Arizona so we hardly get anything like that, but when they come it's really nice. In fact just last week or so we had a really big one. Some lightining landed rather close to us. The sound was so loud i thought somebody got shot. Overall though, it was nice and I wish we would have another one.

crono_logical
08-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Last thunderstorm we had a few weeks ago was in the middle of the night and had lightning every few seconds for a few minutes :p

chu52
08-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I love them. Next time there's one here, I'll climb onto my roof and taunt the clouds. I always wanted to do that.

I'll join him.

fire_of_avalon
08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
I've loved thunderstorms for as long as I can remember, and I think it started because of my great grandpa. He always talked about how he liked them because they showed God's power in a beautiful way. I actually have two favorite storms I can recall, the first one was a couple of years ago at a theme park. We had to make a mad dash for our car, and we were comlpletely soaked by the time we got there, but the running in the lightening with someone you like is fun *flails all girl-like* But the other one happened at school back in March, I think. My dorm room had these amazingly huge windows just above my bed, so killed all the lights, laid back and enjoyed the show. What was even better was that I was on the top floor.

So I like thunderstorms.

Kirobaito
08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
A week ago, a thunderstorm provided cover for this(these) guy(s) that stole my dad's spare tire.

Breine
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Do you have any thunderstorm experiences? Yes, quite a few actually... and the most exciting ones both happened in Slovenia last year. No. 1: My family, me and another family (Some of our friends) where driving in the same car, or mini-bus, on a road just besides the sea. Suddenly it started to rain very heavily and extremely quick thereafter a massive thunderstorm started. Now, the wind was blowing like hell as well and so the water from the sea literally blew up on our car while the thunderstorm was still raging. A very exciting and kinda surreal experience o_O No. 2: Now, I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life. It was late in the afternoon and I was going outside to sit on the balcony of our room, we lived in a hotel. The sun didn't shine through the countless clouds covering the sky and the temperature was okay and kinda fresh, so the thunderstorm I'm about to tell y'all about came very suddenly. Now, I was about to sit down on a chair on the balcony when suddenly this HUUUGE noise of a lightning striking down just a few meters from our balcony was shocking the sh*t out of me. I ran, as fast as I could, inside and jumped down of the bed and covered my ears because of this HUUUGE sound that was still lingering in the air. A really freaky experience o_O
Do you enjoy thunderstorms? It depends. If it's not too wild then yeah, I think it can be cosy. But I definitely don't like them when there too wild, 'cause then my dog is extremely scared and I feel so sorry for him. He's an old dog and even though he's in my bed when it occors he's still very scared and shaking.
Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child? Dunno. I think it's like it is today.

Rye
08-05-2004, 06:50 PM
- Do you have any thunderstorm experiences? Yeah. When I was little, my dad and I went to get some Roy Rogers Chicken during a thunderstorm. I remember it being so dark and there was so much lightning. It was scary but fun.
- Do you enjoy thunderstorms? Sometimes I like looking at the thunder, but I don't like getting off the computer and losing electricity cause of them.
- Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child? No.

Female Ryuichi
08-05-2004, 06:56 PM
The best one was on Tuesday. It was lots of heavy rain and stuff. Saw lighting too. There was a thunderstorm earlier today too :D
Sometimes.
Yes.

Storm
08-05-2004, 07:05 PM

Yes. Thunder storms are quite frequent here in Alberta, especially over the last month. We've been getting them 3 or 4 nights a week.

Depends.

If I'm trying to sleep, I hate them. I'm a very light sleeper, so I get easily distracted and the unpredictable "BOOM!" startles me.

If I'm not sleeping, I do enjoy them. Some storms are pretty cool to watch, unless you are in the middle of a lake or playing soccer.

Despite my name being Storm, I definitely was terrified of them as a child. But again, only while trying to sleep at night.

Misfit
08-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Yeeeeah! Like, lots when I was little. And stuff. ^_^

I do, alot! Except for when the power goes out. >:O I only liked that when I was little 'cause we'd light candles if it was dark out and it was some fun. >D

Nope, I liked them, if it was just thunderstorms and no lightning I'd go out and play in the rain with my brother and sister when we were younger.

escobert
08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
-Do you have any thunderstorm experiences? Yeah, my house is really old (about 160 years old) and when there is a big storm everything shakes liek an earquake. SO every time we have athunderstorm I always get woken up.
- Do you enjoy thunderstorms? yes
- Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child? not really more annoyed then anything.

Shoeberto
08-05-2004, 07:52 PM
We had a storm yesterday. Thunder woke me up kinda early. So I came downstairs and popper in one of my Lord of the Rings DVDs. It was kinda nice.

I don't like thunderstorms with tornado-y stuff. Those scare me.

Ed, Edd n' Eddy
08-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Thunderstorms are great but depending on how big it is they mostly don't scare me.

gokufusionss1
08-05-2004, 09:11 PM
another typical british summer thunderstorms everywhere, it soaked all my clothes on the washing line.

Silmaril
08-06-2004, 12:41 PM
-Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?
Nah, not really.
Yeah, i think they're great!
I don't think i was.

We had such major rain storms last year this time around in Karachi. The streets were flooded and buses and massive trucks got carried away and were swept into oncoming traffic. My cousin's cousi was getting married in those floods and they were so many "Rasmein" we had to go out every night in that terrible weather. This year's been massively quiet so far.

Ki Ki
08-06-2004, 03:10 PM
|| Do you have any thunderstorm experiences? ||
Yeap. So many times. I hate it when the thunder is SO loud that everything shakes. SO scary!!

|| Do you enjoy thunderstorms? ||
Nonononono.

|| Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child? ||
Ya!! Ofcourse! I was pathetically scared of them. And I still am. ^^

Ouch!
08-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?
When I lived in Jakarta, Indonesia, we had thunderstorms all the time. My sister and I would sit on the bed in my parent's bedroom and look out of their window. We had an awesome view of the sky from there and in that direction there weren't buildings or anything like that in sight. It made for an awesome show.

Do you enjoy thunderstorms?
Yeah. I'll usually sit up and watch them for a while at night. The booming thunder doesn't bother me so much, and I easily sleep through them, so they're never bad.

Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child?
Naw. As you may have guessed, I've always enjoyed watching them.

Polaris
08-06-2004, 06:58 PM

More or less

Sometimes, when I am with good mood!

I'm still scared!

Giga Guess
08-08-2004, 05:57 PM

Other than witnessing dozens? Not really. Define "experiences."

I think they're really cool, actually.

Nah. I was always the brave one about these things, from my recall.

Takara
08-08-2004, 07:26 PM

Not really. We had a huge one here 5 years ago and even had a tornado, but I was out of the country, so I missed it. From what I heard, it started around midnight, ended around 5, and there were so many lightnings that the sky was as bright as during daytime. Many of the old trees in the northern part of my town fell down, though, which was sad because that's the most gorgeous part of the town, and they didn't have power for 2 weeks because the trees fell on the lines and all. And my uncle lost his brand new pool because the tornado passed next to his house.

Hell yeah! I used to sit by a window and watch them with my now dead kitty. she was fascinated by them, and so was I. Now, I watch them alone, and make fun of my other kitty because she's scared of them and usually goes hide somewhere for hours after we have one. Sometimes if there's a loud crack of thunder, it startles me (or wake me up), but it's more out of surprise than fear.

The only time I don't like them is when they knock the power out. No power = no computer = no internet.

I was, but it was probably due to my brother telling me scary things about them, like "you can get hit by a lightning even while in the house, and especially if you're lying in bed" or "if you look at lightnings, you can get blind" or other crap like that. I was so gullible back then, so I believed him. Silly brother. :rolleyes2

Giga Guess
08-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Heheheh...I'm the older brother, so I guess I was the one trying to freak out the siblings....but I was a horrible liar, too, so they never believed me.

Shoyku
08-08-2004, 08:59 PM
<b>Do you have any thunderstorm experiences?</b>
Yes.

<b>Do you enjoy thunderstorms?</b>
Yes.

<b>Were you scared of thunderstorms as a child?</b>
Considerably.

To add to that, I love having it storm late at night, in which I pump up the <a href=http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/downloads/MaxPayne2_Theme.zip>Max Payne 2 theme</a>. Everything's dark, the storm's blazing, and I get a nice violin melody.

Sefie1999AD
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Yes, quite a few of them, but here's some. I can't remember the first one, but my parents have told me that when I was like 2 years old, we were coming back from a holiday trip abroad on an airplane, and a lightning bolt hit the plane, crashing one engine. Everyone was worried that the plane would crash (it didn't, thank God), and according to my parents, I was like, "What's that smell? Why does it smell like smoke?"

Then a couple of years ago, when I was remixing a few Chrono Trigger songs during a thunderstorm, my computer screen got zapped right in front of my face. Sheesh, that really freaked the thing out of me. The computer stayed on, but the screen went black. It smelled like the computer was burning or something. On the following day, I opened the computer again. It was working, even the screen. However, my modem had broken. It took me two weeks to get a new one, so you know what that means, right? No Internet for a fortnight. :/ Ever since that, I've been very cautious during thunderstorms. Whenever I see one coming, I shut down my computer immediately, remove the computer plugs and unplug my ADSL.

The latest experience with thunderstorms was yesterday, when I was in a place 100-200 kilometers away from home. It was thundering all day. The lights went out from a local hotel once, and when I was watching a band perform, the power went out at least 4 times because of the storm. It was getting really annoying when they got interrupted by a power cut so many times. At one point it happened during every song.

I sure don't! They're annoying, and using electronic equipment such as the computer, TV or phone is usually out of question until the storm ends.

Yes, I was. Nowadays, I think I'm more annoyed than scared of thunderstorms.

Cloud_99
08-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I don't really have any Thunderstorm experiences per say, But I love thunderstorms. I love being outside when there's a thunderstorm. I just watch the lightning and listen to the rolls of thunder and ger really really wet. Damn I wish there was a thunderstorm right now. Any way, was I ever scared of them? Nope. Always loved 'em :D