PDA

View Full Version : So... DooM 3 is out.

Shoyku
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Attaining DooM 3 a few days ago, I was pretty anxious. Having the game of such a caliber to finally be released (and to have been released before the end of the world). Now, DooM 3 as the people that have any interest in the game should know, is the retelling of the original DooM, going on as though both DooM 1 and 2 had never happened. It does a significantly better job of portraying a story in comparison to the game from a decade ago, which basically happens to be you're a marine went to Mars, and all hell literally breaks loose on a space station, to which you go to hell and back before the game ends.

Now, my initial reaction to DooM 3 wasn't too positive. I guess you could even say I was disappointed, to some extent. A game that was in the works for the past four years, I had expected something revolutionary innovative in the gameplay-- but the gameplay pretty much stays true to the original DooMs, however instead of your marine from being capable of infinitely running without losing breath, you actually have a stamina bar this time around. Other than that, it's pretty much the exact same thing from ten years ago, as far as gameplay is concerned. Point, shoot, open a door, get more ammo, point, shoot, open a door, get more ammo. The way iD attempts to scare you in this game have a very RE fashion, you know, the whole enemies popping out of nowhere when you least expect it, but before long this whole ordeal becomes predictable; you'll be able to tell where enemies are likely hiding. The story in DooM 3 is attempted to be thickened out by using a System Shock tactic, you get logs and audio reports from dead scientists, and the way the enemies come at you, the suspense iD tries to give also seems System Shock inspired; at one point I was wondering when I was going to level up my stats. My disappointment was lifted when I reminded myself that this was essentially a DooM game, I don't know what innovation I was expecting, but as a DooM game this thing is great.

They try to make the atmosphere as dark as possible, I'm talking dark as in "can't see my hand in front of my face" dark. However, with the use of your trusty flashlight (which can be held by itself, and not used in conjunction with a weapon, or attached to a weapon) you can light your way. It does become inconvenient to have your flashlight out, only to be attacked by an imp and having to switch to your shotgun while you're watching yourself being shredded to bits. The game tries to hit you with some disturbing scenery as well, I'm talking about scientists with their faces removed, marines with bits of their skull taken out, bloody messes left in rooms, at times the game goes completely weird and reds your vision and you can hear something whisper. There are certain scenes where pentagrams will decorate a room, and while I never found any of it to be scary it sure was cool looking. The graphics in this game are by far a technological step above anything else right now, everything just looks stunning. The CG-like effects are jaw dropping at times, and the real-time lighting is phenomenal, at times when you're looking at just the indoor scenery it sometimes seems even photo realistic, it's amazing. The player models are by far some of the best I've ever seen, but curves don't seem to be a high point here; take for instance if you're looking at a bald person, you can see how jagged his head is, and the same goes with barrels and the such. It's not a big deal, but still. The engine also tries to reduce strain on your system by using a different gibbing effect from the past iD games that you may be used to, other than having to sheer overkill an enemy to have his body blow up into a bloody chunky mess, you simply have to shoot the humanoids once or twice once they're dead, and the demons you face up against dematerialize and ash away as soon as they're killed (a reasonable explanation for this is that the demons are being sent back to hell, but it also reduces the amount of polygons your system has to draw, so it's considerate for iD to think of that). When you gib a zombie, it looks downright fantastic, their skin dissolves, and then the exposed skeleton dissolves into a bloody gib-tastic mess. The masterminds at iD did a great job on optimization of the game engine, if I do say so myself. From what I've been hearing, people are actually capable of running this game at an enjoyable rate with rigs like 1.5GHz 512MB Ram and a GeForce 4 video card. However, the customization you get within the game isn't as varied as say, Far Cry. In DooM 3 you only get to choose between Low, Medium, High and Ultra High as your video settings, you can choose your resolution and a handful of advanced options (such as shadows, bump mapping, and a couple other things), but Far Cry gives you WAY more customization, with details such as water customization, environment customization and the like.

The sound in this game is great, although limited. The only options I get as far as audio goes is if I wanted surround sound on or off, if I wanted to reverse my speakers or not, and of course-- the volume. Although these options are very limited, if you have a surround sound audio system or surround sound headphones, you'll be in bliss. The only gripe I have with the sound is that it makes certain weapons not seem as powerful as they should be, the rocket launcher sounds as though it has a SILENCER of some kind added onto it, and the health pick-up sound was the same one used from Quake 3. However the atmosphere added with the sound is fantastic, hearing enemies behind you, only to turn around and see nothing there, hearing footsteps and clawing above you, hearing a voice whisper to you and having it spin in all directions. It's very well done.

The multiplayer options are also somewhat limited, being as there is a four player limit by default (which modders have quickly increased to 16), and the four multiplayer modes available are all in essence a rehash of deathmatch. It's sad to see that there's no co-operative mode in DooM 3, considering they were high points in the original two. Although iD never focussed much on DooM 3's multiplayer, and only really concerned themselves with the single player, it's nice they added it-- even as an afterthought. Modders will have plenty of fun with an engine such as this.

Overall, DooM 3 has its ups and downs. The gameplay remains strictly old school, it's pretty much the DooM you're used to playing, except with a graphical make over. The sound, while limited in configuration, is very well done and adds great atmosphere. The graphics are also way ahead of anything the competition has out available right now.

Included with this post I've added a picture of a corpse hanging upside down which I smacked around with the butt of my flashlight. I think I appropriately named it the "sadistic piņata".

EDIT:
I've added four other screenshots, doom32.gif being a general screenshot of an area, doom33.gif is my character being slashed by an imp, doom34.gif is an imp spawning, and doom35.gif is a graphic display of what gibs look like in this game.

chu52
08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Go read: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-08-02&res=l

Erdrick Holmes
08-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Whens the XBox release date for this game?

m4tt
08-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. I pre-ordered it a month ago and it's on freaking backorder.

TasteyPies
08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Oooo, looks sexy. Rawr.

Anywho I have Final Doom right next to me....odd that Final Doom wasn't the final doom.

Shoeberto
08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
I just wanted to say that I'm not reading anything in this thread regarding the game until I play it. I'M NOT LISTENING.

Shoyku
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Whens the XBox release date for this game?It's scheduled for an October 4th release, according to GameFAQs.

Yrkoon
08-08-2004, 11:42 PM
brilliant game it is and it looks amazing as well tho i do get some slow down running it on high settings but its very playable thanks to a tweak ill post a link for it basically tells doom3 how much system memory to use for the textures ive got mine set to 250 from 20 :)

1800 xp palmino core
768 mb ddr 266
gfx 5900xt 128 mb

tweak can be found here enjoy :) http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663&p=1

Casey
08-09-2004, 04:29 AM
Its not that great, if you want multiplayer look foward to half life 2 because doom3 three only has 1 game type which is death match. Doom 3 mostly focuses on single player, but there are going to release a patch for multi-player maybe with it multiple game types, but that probably wont be anytime soon.

and my friend said:

Things I like:

That spider women boss - awesome
the voices, freaky...(the womens voice, 'follow me', devils laugh)
those fireball flinging demons
the dog/beast creatures (first one broke through glass to get me, scared the shit outta me)
the weapons, ahh...nice shotgun.
the guy staked to the ceiling

Things I don't like:

Sometimes the flashlight beam is too narrow (especially in the recycling sector)
The machine gun isn't that fun to play with
those annoying spiders... pieces of crap... go away

Oh yeah and whats silly is you cant tape your flashlight on to your gun. :p I myself look forward to half life 2 instead. :D Oh yeah, and on the previews the chainsaw looked awesome.

Erdrick Holmes
08-09-2004, 04:31 AM
That game's gonna burn right through some 3D cards.

nik0tine
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Is it worth buying? It looks cool but in order for me to get maximum performance out of it i think i might have to upgrade my computer... So, is it worth it, or should I just wait until Half-Life 2 is FINALLY released? I'll still probably have to upgrade my computer for half life 2 but if doom3 isnt totally worth the money than ill jsut save my fifty dollars and possibly buy it a year or two from now. what do you think?

Shoyku
08-09-2004, 11:59 AM
It really depends on your computer, and if you like non-innovative simple gameplay in a first person shooter.

Anyways, what's your computer specs?

Casey
08-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Doom 3 mostly single player right now, and when half life 2 comes out hopefully it will have alot of online game types. Besides Doom 3's deathmatch. If you like playing with human beings rather then bots, which is fun. Go Half Life 2. :D

nik0tine
08-10-2004, 04:50 AM
It really depends on your computer, and if you like non-innovative simple gameplay in a first person shooter.

Anyways, what's your computer specs?

I don't know for sure. I know i have a Geforce 4 video card or something. Also, I think i have 512 ram but im not sure about the processor or anything else.

Shoeberto
08-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Take a gander at this (http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0) to get a good idea of how well your system would hold up.

calipso12
08-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Doom 3 mostly single player right now, and when half life 2 comes out hopefully it will have alot of online game types. Besides Doom 3's deathmatch. If you like playing with human beings rather then bots, which is fun. Go Half Life 2. :DYou're completely wrong because the ONLY multiplayer that will come with HL2 is Counter-Strike: Source.

Shoeberto
08-11-2004, 02:00 AM
...uh, would you mind putting up a link to back that up? I could see Valve offering a new CS through Steam or packaging it, but it doesn't seem like they'd only package CS with no other game types.

m4tt
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
The darkness of the game bothers me. I know exactly where a monster is, but I can't hit it without light.

CloudSquallandZidane
08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Now i didnt buy the game i downloaded it onto my friends comp. and we putin plenty of hours and theres still more for us to do, so im thinking that its worth buying, ill find out when i check out the multiplayer system.

The darkness of the game bothers me. I know exactly where a monster is, but I can't hit it without light.

I found this also rather difficult to work with, the are however ways to avoid such... difficulties... I havent done this myself but theres been over 1400 downloads of the Duct Tape Mod. This mod works on the simple principle that there was a single roll of duct tape somewhere on the station, that u obtained. This is the explaination:

About DuctTape 0003

Under the crazy presumption that a roll of duct tape has to exist somewhere on the Mars facility, the Duct Tape mod sticks flashlights to your machinegun and shotgun. In order to preserve the atmosphere, these new lights are much narrower (and a little brighter) than the standard flashlight, and are only available on the basic weapons. The pistol is not equipped with a flashlight, so as not to spoil the early sections of the game.

U can find the duct tape mod HERE!!! (http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5220)

Enjoy!!!

You're completely wrong because the ONLY multiplayer that will come with HL2 is Counter-Strike: Source.

Not true. Countless FREE mods are currently being developed and other 1st party mods are being created right now. GAH WHY HASNT THIS GAME COME OUT YET???!!!

Shoyku
08-14-2004, 07:27 PM
CloudSquallandZidane, if you're looking at the multiplayer before you decide on your purchase, you're looking at the wrong aspect of the game. Honest, the multiplayer downright sucks. Four player max, laggyness everywhere, just leave the multiplayer to UT2k4.

Also, it's my belief that the duct tape mod completely ruins the way the game's supposed to feel. You're supposed to feel weak and vulnerable with the flashlight, but with it, you also get vision. It's not that hard to switch around your weapons, people just have a problem adapting to it for whatever reason. I beat the entire game with absolutely no problems with the darkness, I just used the flashlight the way they intended it to be used.

nik0tine
08-15-2004, 10:58 AM
You downloaded doom 3? where? I certainly wont hesitate to get doom 3 if i can DOWNLOAD it!

Seifer
08-16-2004, 03:58 AM
This game caused me to reinstall Windows. I wanted to play at at least 30 fps, so I started screwing with my video card, and sure enough, I screwed with it to the point where I couldn't see anything on the screen anymore. La.

Tried to fix that a number of different ways, but none of them worked.

I think I'll wait for the XBox version...It won't be the same without a keyboard, but I don't really care. At least it'll be playable.

Shoyku
08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
You downloaded doom 3? where? I certainly wont hesitate to get doom 3 if i can DOWNLOAD it!Support iD for the hard work and dedication they've put into this game, okay?

Shoeberto
08-16-2004, 04:42 AM
This game caused me to reinstall Windows. I wanted to play at at least 30 fps, so I started screwing with my video card, and sure enough, I screwed with it to the point where I couldn't see anything on the screen anymore. La.

So, what you're saying is that you caused yourself to reinstall Windows by messing around with your video card to play Doom 3, right?

Tulmane
08-16-2004, 12:51 PM
I still say it has nothing on System Shock 2. Those spider things made me freak the hell out when playing, I was covered in goosebumps while fighting them. And the game actually had something more than point and shoot to it. A lot more. O_o
Doom 3? Nothing remotely that close on terms of scariness or fun...

Seifer
08-19-2004, 04:25 AM
So, what you're saying is that you caused yourself to reinstall Windows by messing around with your video card to play Doom 3, right?

You can say that, but I blame Doom 3 for making me crave for it at a decent fps a little too much.

nik0tine
08-19-2004, 04:38 AM
It's alright... It's a good game but it's nowhere near the amount of fun that the old dooms were.

Yrkoon
08-22-2004, 05:15 AM
if u wanted doom 3 running smooth u should of used the tweak i posted earlier in the thread :P

NightfallInfernal
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
I got Doom 3 and in the beginning of the game I thought it was great but by the end it got far too repeditive and boring. More levels in hell or anywhere besides the martian base would have helped this game immensly.

m4tt
08-25-2004, 06:52 PM
My dad bought it and has already beat it twice. I, on the other hand, haven't gotten out of the 4th level. <<

Erdrick Holmes
08-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Are there people in the game that talk to you and give you advice like in Halflife or is it all open the door, kill the monsters, find the key, kill the monsters, unlock the door, etc.

Shoeberto
08-25-2004, 09:09 PM
You run into a few people, though the majority of advice you recieve comes from downloading data from people's PDAs and reading their e-mails or listening to their audio logs.

Seifer
08-28-2004, 07:23 AM
if u wanted doom 3 running smooth u should of used the tweak i posted earlier in the thread :P

I did use that tweak...along with fifty other tweaks. Then I updated my GeForce Driver to GeForce omega driver...then I rolled it back for a second and that was it. No more screen. I'll admit...it was running much smoother, but still not good enough.

Shoyku
08-28-2004, 08:26 AM
What GeForce card do you have?

Seifer
08-29-2004, 06:55 PM
128mb FX 5200 PCI...Yes, it's a very crappy card. One of the worst there is, from what I hear. I should have waited to get a 256mb FX 5700 AGP...at least I know that one runs it smooth.

edczxcvbnm
08-29-2004, 11:21 PM
I am running DooM3 on a 5100 Geforce...but I have a gig of ram and 3.0 P4 so it runs pretty smooth at 640x480 after I updated my drivers.

I need to get a good graphics card instead of the junk I have now. I don't want to spend a lot but I want some bang so I was thinking about a 9600XT by Radeon.

DooM 3 kicks so much ass though. All the darkness is really cool. ALthough I must admit I thought the game would look a lot better in the lighting and texture department. Maybe a better card so I can turn AA on would fix that but I doubt it.

CloudSquallandZidane
08-30-2004, 04:10 AM
I dont know... even with Geforce 4MX Doom 3 has the best lighting engine ive ever seen in a game... seriously... it rocks... in the lighting department.

edczxcvbnm
08-30-2004, 08:25 AM
It is the best I have seen also but it doesn't mean that I wasn't expecting even more. An example is that flash light. Its just a little texture they put up there. The light doesn't really seem to 'expand' like a flash light. I also notice that mirrors didn't reflect the light from the flash light in bathrooms. Thats the kind of stuff I expect at the very least out of the game.

While the other stuff is really great it is ashame that these other things have gone unnoticed which is why I was expecting more. I am not dissappointed...but I was expecting a lot more.