PDA

View Full Version : Noob Threads

Storm
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
I know once upon a time I defended us allowing noob threads when Something Awful attacked us about this issue, but I'm beginning to get absolutely sick of seeing five of these a day in the General Chat section. It's really diluting interesting conversation.

Sure, it is nice to introduce yourself, but there are better ways to do it than just making a sole thread dedicated to a nooby saying "Hi, I'm new!". A good way to get noticed on this site is to jump into a thread on an interesting topic, and provide your incite.

My recommendation is to either ban these kind of threads, or make a single sticky thread in the General Chat section where you can introduce yourself.

crono_logical
08-05-2004, 11:57 PM
There's been interesting stuff in (Gen Chat - newbie threads) as of recent? :p

Cz
08-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Newbie threads are a bit of a bother, but banning them wouldn't really help. Most people don't read the FAQ, and will start a newbie topic anyway. If that is the case, we'll have 5 closed newbie threads a day, which will take up just as much space, but will also make the person feel unwanted and unlikely to stick around.

Ultima Shadow
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey, I like the newbie treads! Ok... yea, its alot of them... it's COUNTLESS of them... but they'r still fun.

TasteyPies
08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
General Chat section where you can introduce yourself.

Cool

Raistlin
08-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Newbie threads are fun. Banning them isn't.

Yamaneko
08-06-2004, 01:48 AM
There are usually worse topics than newbie threads. One thread would be dumb because it'd get too confusing. We want newbies to feel special when they first come here. By allowing them to create their own intro threads we are letting them to do that.

Storm
08-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Newbie threads are a bit of a bother, but banning them wouldn't really help. Most people don't read the FAQ, and will start a newbie topic anyway. If that is the case, we'll have 5 closed newbie threads a day, which will take up just as much space, but will also make the person feel unwanted and unlikely to stick around.
Unfortunately, that is probably true.

There are usually worse topics than newbie threads. One thread would be dumb because it'd get too confusing. We want newbies to feel special when they first come here. By allowing them to create their own intro threads we are letting them to do that.

Agreed, a lot of threads are worse than newbie threads. Ideally, however, a newbie could feel special by creating a thread with an interesting topic and by getting a lot of thoughtful feedback in it. Personally, I would get more satisfaction out of that if I were the newbie.

I apologize, but I just really hate it when I click on a thread and it says "I'm new", and that's it. I'll try to lighten up on the issue.

escobert
08-06-2004, 03:15 AM
My only problem with n00b threads is that they post em then they never post again. OR all tehy say is Hi or I'm new. Dammti think of an original tittle!

Shoeberto
08-06-2004, 03:41 AM
I think saying there's five new newbie threads a day is a <i>bit</i> of an exaggeration, there. Plus, I'm sure we've had it much, much worse in the past (loads of newbie threads plus "I'M LEAVING FOREVER YOU GUYS SUCK" threads from <s>Rirse</s> <b>people.</b>.)

Del Murder
08-06-2004, 04:26 AM
If you don't like them just ignore them. If you spot a name you don't recognize, chances are it's a newbie thread.

Newbie threads are the best way to get to know new members on a board this large. They do more good than harm, I think.

Trumpet Thief
08-06-2004, 04:30 AM
chaos: Newbie threads are fun, and sometimes, they have nice creative thread titles. (i.e. Erased) Just one newbie thread would just be one big jumble to tell you the truth. They might feel left out if one person says hello, then someone suddenly comes up after them, and everyone greets them.

Rubedo: Although quite a few of them come up everyday, I don't consider them a burden.

Storm
08-06-2004, 05:49 AM
My only problem with n00b threads is that they post em then they never post again. OR all tehy say is Hi or I'm new. Dammti think of an original tittle!

That seems to be a popular trend.

Newbie threads are the best way to get to know new members on a board this large. They do more good than harm, I think.
The only people I get to know or even remember on this forum are either the Site Staff or people who make clever posts/threads. It has just seemed like there have been more noob threads than normal lately. Anyhow, I'll stop complaining and just try to ignore those threads.

Rainecloud
08-06-2004, 07:27 AM
I don't see a problem with having newbie threads in the General Chat forum, and their short (and mostly uninteresting) posts don't bother me at all. Sure, most of them don't stick around, but the small majority that do stay with us will look back on their newbie threads with fondness in the years to come.

Or perhaps not.

On a side note, it is interesting that we've had a massive influx of newbies as of late. Has a new Final Fantasy game come out or something? xD

Jolts
08-06-2004, 09:29 AM
If it's that big of a bothersome, why doesn't someone create a section for intrductions?

Loony BoB
08-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Having newbie threads in General Chat encourages people to become a part of the community and that's one of the main things that will encourage people to stick around and that's one of the main things taht will help EoFF become more active over time and that's why we allow newbie threads in General Chat to go on.

At least that's my opinion. I wouldn't reccomend suggesting a Newbie Forum or anything similar to it because it's clearly marked in the stickied thread in this forum which details things that you will be made fun of for asking about. :) *pats*

Burtsplurt
08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
How about having newbie threads in the FFV forum? That way, everyone's happy!

crono_logical
08-06-2004, 10:32 PM
No need once FFIV joins it :D

-N-
08-09-2004, 02:30 AM
You could just create a GC subforum called The Reception Area.

Storm
08-09-2004, 04:53 AM
The only thing worse than noob threads are the incoherent english threads that have been appearing non-stop in the General Chat section today. What puzzles me is that if these people cannot even write one complete sentence, how the heck would they possess the intelligence to find this web site?

Sheeeeesh!

-N-
08-09-2004, 05:10 AM
I'll give you a hint: IT'S STAGED. :rolleyes:

Baloki
08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
It's really diluting interesting conversation.

Do you ever go into general chat? There isn't ever interesting conversation, just lighten up a little, if we didn't get newbies I'd have to look at all your faces all the time, no new interesting eye candy so be happy that we make the effort to welcome newbies and if you don't like um do as Del says ignore them, or you know you could actually go on there and post something helpful but thats always a strain here :tongue:

Storm
08-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Do you ever go into general chat? There isn't ever interesting conversation, just lighten up a little, if we didn't get newbies I'd have to look at all your faces all the time, no new interesting eye candy so be happy that we make the effort to welcome newbies and if you don't like um do as Del says ignore them, or you know you could actually go on there and post something helpful but thats always a strain here :tongue:

I didn't say I disliked newbies. I clearly stated that I dislike nooby posts where they inform us they are new to the site. It is possible to be a newbie and not make a nooby post. Understood?

Baloki
08-10-2004, 11:06 AM
I didn't say I disliked newbies. I clearly stated that I dislike nooby posts where they inform us they are new to the site. It is possible to be a newbie and not make a nooby post. Understood?

nah because then they end up bitter and twisted :tongue:

Az Lionheart
08-10-2004, 11:30 AM
i dont think i made one

UltimateSpamGrover
08-13-2004, 12:04 PM
welcome to EoFF, oh wait this isnt a newbie thread, darn

TasteyPies
08-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Newbies should go back to where they come from, they take all our jobs.