PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Shows...

Trumpet Thief
08-06-2004, 04:53 AM
chaos: Is it just me or do many really good shows get cancelled, while the really crappy ones continue on the air with more and more seasons?

Rubedo: I have only seen this in some cases, like certain Canadian humor shows, and my favorite anime, Gundam Wing were cancelled. But those other horrible comedies, Animes, Reality Shows etc. keep coming on with more and more seasons. So basically, are there any shows that you wish were never cancelled, and that they continue to air, and are there any shows that you wish that would just be cancelled already?

Kirobaito
08-06-2004, 04:59 AM
I loved The Mole. The second season was cancelled, but it ended up finishing. They've done a few Celebrity Moles, but they were stupid. They're yet to do another one. I loved that show so much. It was so much more intelligent than all the other reality shows.

Ouch!
08-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Family Guy.

I rest my case.

Shoeberto
08-06-2004, 05:14 AM
According to good ol' Seth, there's new Family Guys coming out in 2005.

And I think Arrested Development was cancelled, though I'm not positive.

Del Murder
08-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Probably was. It was way too smart to last. I hope a DVD comes out.

Casey
08-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Family Guy.

I rest my case.

Ditto. Its better then the simpsons, and they still leave the simpsons running, even though its not that funny as the Family guy. :) Props though to the Simpsons for being on for so long though, I stopped watching them 4 years ago, when it still was cool.

Trumpet Thief
08-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Ditto. Its better then the simpsons, and they still leave the simpsons running, even though its not that funny as the Family guy. :) Props though to the Simpsons for being on for so long though, I stopped watching them 4 years ago, when it still was cool.

chaos: I agree. The newer episodes of Simpsons are getting plain stupid. The puns are idiotic, and it is way more unrealistic than it was before.

Rubedo: The older Episodes were hilarious, but the newer ones aren't great...

Amnesia Case
08-06-2004, 05:32 AM
I really liked Greg The Bunny, but that didn't last long at all. :cry:

Del Murder
08-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Most live action Fox sitcoms don't last. The exceptions are Married With Children, Malcolm in the Middle, and, for some reason, The Bernie Mac Show. Fox is good in that they try out new ideas for shows but they never give them time enough to develop a following. I don't think anyone watched the first season of Seinfeld, but NBC gave it a chance and look what happened.

Amnesia Case
08-06-2004, 05:42 AM
Also pretty much any animated show on MTV, their usually good but dont seem to last long before the get canned.

Erdrick Holmes
08-06-2004, 05:47 AM
Sifl and Olly, MST3K and Bevis and Butthead.

Storm
08-06-2004, 06:10 AM
There was a show on Teletoon called "Undergrads", which I thought was hilarious. I'm surprised only one season was made of it, although I do believe it was an MTV show.

Rainecloud
08-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Futurama.

I personally think that Futurama is one hundred times more amusing than the Simpsons, and if you stranded me on a desert island with a television, a DVD player and a choice between having all the Simpsons box set DVDs and all the Futurama box set DVDs, I'd take the Futurama ones.

Big D
08-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Original shows: creative, intelligent, new, original.

Crappy shows: formulaic, predictable, universally comprehensible, expected.

Basically, original programs are too good for their own good. Most networks won't touch anything that's unconventional, because they can't tell how the masses will react. Advertisers won't sponsor something they haven't seen a dozen times before. It's easy to stick to the lame sitcoms and mindless reality driven that's been done to death over the past decade... it appeals to just enough people from the right demographics to make it profitable, and that is all that matters. If a TV station picks up something untried, there's the possibility that *gaps* it won't be liked by everyone; therefore it is devoid of any worth at all. Never mind that it'll have more impact on those it does reach, or that it'll set a new trend or gain popularity over time. With recycled dribble, they know for sure exactly who's gonna watch it.
[/rant]

Occasionally, something new comes up and is wildly popular. Then it becomes the latest trend, and is subjected to relentless copying that reduces its worth incalculably. Police forensics programs are a good example.

Originally: One series = unique, fresh, creative.
Today: Approx. 1,200 series = all identical and lacking in anything new or interesting.

gokufusionss1
08-06-2004, 08:34 AM
FARSCAPE
ANGEL

Az Lionheart
08-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I loved The Mole. The second season was cancelled, but it ended up finishing. They've done a few Celebrity Moles, but they were stupid. They're yet to do another one. I loved that show so much. It was so much more intelligent than all the other reality shows.
i loved the mole and the second season was on TV over here in england.

Shlup
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Family Guy, Futurama, Harvey Birdman Attourney at Law, and just today Cartoon Network said the last episode or Aqua Teen Hunger Force is airing on August 15th... I am so sad. :fpcry:

White Raven
08-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Everyone must have something loose in their head to be forgetting SEINFELD!!!!

This show was amazing up to the second last show (Purtorican Day). The finale wasn't the greatest, which gives more proof of why it still should be going strong. But still, I bet Jerry has so many more ideas since then and the rest of them would love to come back seeing as their shows all flopped.

Other cancelled shows that should be back:
~Futurama
~Dilbert
~Bobby's World
~Undergrads
~Clone High
~The Littleist Hobo
(I'm not counting Family Guy. because it is coming back next year.:))

Shows I don't understand why they continue:
~The Bernie Mac Show
~ *insert country* Idol
~Punk'd

Trumpet Thief
08-06-2004, 05:23 PM
chaos: I think Punk'd ended actually..

Rubedo: Something about the jokes being too offensive or something...

Ouch!
08-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I had also heard the rumour about new Family Guy episodes, but from what I understand, they're going to be released on DVD only because Fox still considers the show too controversial to put it on air. Obviously, they never watch South Park.

Wilder
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
What about wonderfalls , Itīs was funny, creative and different, I was getting in love with Caroline Dhavernas, and they cancelled it. :mad2:

Storm
08-06-2004, 07:45 PM
I had also heard the rumour about new Family Guy episodes, but from what I understand, they're going to be released on DVD only because Fox still considers the show too controversial to put it on air. Obviously, they never watch South Park.

I think I may be the only person on the planet who really hates Family Guy.

Shoeberto
08-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Rubedo - According to my friend, Punk'd is still going on. Ashton announced that it was cancelled, but apparantly, he was just trying to "punk" everyone. :love::love::love::love:ing genius, that guy is.

Zaphier - The difference between FOX and Comedy Central is that you can do a lot more on cable. That's how Comedy Central gets away with all the South Park stuff. Hopefully, though, Adult Swim (since it's both cable and on past 11:00, which I think gives some more leeway as to what gets past the censors) can still play the new episodes.

Storm
08-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Seinfeld.....oh God, I miss it so much........
I loved Seinfeld too, but Curb Your Enthusiasm is almost equally as hilarious.

TasteyPies
08-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Most canceled shows deserved it. ATHF for instance

Jebus
08-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Futurama
Beavis and Butthead
Sifl and Olly
The Critic (One of the best shows I've ever seen. They cancelled it back in '95 and I'm STILL pissed)
The Tick (Spooooooooon!)
Banzai (xD)
Seinfeld

Most of which are on FOX. Its this reason I decided that I will never watch FOX again (except for the new Family Guys, which I am quite exited about, although they DID cancel the Critic, which was A GREAT SHOW!)

Del Murder
08-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Seinfeld was never cancelled. All shows have to end sometime. Cheers ended, Home Improvement ended, Seinfeld ended. I'm not upset about those going away because they all had good runs. Arrested Development will never get a good run because it is, to quote D, 'too good for its own good'.

Germ Hamee
08-07-2004, 07:11 AM
I was extremely upset when WB cancelled Angel. That show was on a roll. It could have gone on for another three seasons as far as I could tell without running out of material. I'm incredibly sad that fan efforts weren't able to save the show, or to get another network to sign it up.

Firefly and Wonderfalls are two shows I feel were never given a fair chance. They had great potential, it's too bad that they weren't recognized. But at least Firefly's getting a movie...

Giga Guess
08-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I miss Angel. And I don't particularly like how it ended.

Chzn8r
08-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Family Guy, Futurama, , and just today Cartoon Network said the last episode or Aqua Teen Hunger Force is airing on August 15th... I am so sad. :fpcry:

:cry: :cry: I know! What is the world coming to!

GhandiOwnsYou
08-09-2004, 04:10 AM
Clone High, who didn't watch that. because you should have. it would still be going. Ghandi OWNS YOU. and Joan of Arc as a goth? that right there. Thats genius. pure...utter...genius.

Then there was some show called Get Real. which i was addicited to. that didn't even finish a season if i remember right. It kinda deserved it though, because within the space of five episodes it was having major castmembers die/leave to up the drama. it's hard to keep viewers when their favorite characters get axed in a month

Greg the Bunny. It was an incredibly stupid show for a number of episodes, but dear lord uit was worth it for when it was good. and for Tardy the retarded Turtle. that was genius. This is the costumes.....and this is Gregs room..... and this is the wall.....and this is the walll..... and this is *Stares into mirror and squeaks* !!!! THAT's a TURTLE!!!!!

jrgen
08-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Spin City!!

They even cancelled it in the middle of the season because all americans were watching Fraiser instead.
Damn you! :mad2:

DMKA
08-09-2004, 02:15 PM
The Critic (One of the best shows I've ever seen. They cancelled it back in '95 and I'm STILL pissed)
Woah...someone else actually remembers that show...it was sheer brilliance, and whoever decided to cancel it really needs to be interegated.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Dude, Spin City was trash after Mike left. total trash. I mean, come on, they had Charlie Sheen come in an all of a sudden he was integrated like a member of the family? How are you supposed to buy that when he was only there for a month and a half. I stopped watching as SOON as mike was gone, as did the rest of america.

Breine
08-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Firefly...!!! It sucks that these shows were canceled :mad2:

jrgen
08-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Dude, Spin City was trash after Mike left. total trash. I mean, come on, they had Charlie Sheen come in an all of a sudden he was integrated like a member of the family? How are you supposed to buy that when he was only there for a month and a half. I stopped watching as SOON as mike was gone, as did the rest of america.
You're wrong.
The last season with Mike and the first two with Charlie were the best.
It's not suupposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be funny.
Mike was never a vital character in Spin City anyway.
He was just one of the others. I think James was just as much a loss.
And Charlie was great. He really filled the spot well.

The thing that is REALLY sad is that the same year Spin City had to be cancelled,
Fraiser got the highest amount of viewers in the genre(in USA).
Nothing sucks harder then Fraiser.(Not even the ones on the list of the top of this page.)